Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.19   Time 5:26 (UTC)

TOMBAZIS: ENGINE LEGALITY IS HARD TO POLICE

Thank you for this confirmation.

To teams I say, I have no idea what Ferrari did or didn't do to their engine, but rest of you don't throw stones while living in glass houses. We all know F1 operates on fine technical border-line between being legal and illegal, and your engines weren't tested the same way as Ferrari's was. You weren't asked for implementing amended changes as Ferrari was. Hard to say from sidelines you guys are all clean, despite saint faces you put on as masks of innocence. You just managed feeding to hatred by fans, drag Ferrari's name in mud, yet for what? I doubt you just want to read the Settlement Agreement. IMO in reality you want to force FiA revealing nitty-gritty how the engine is built at Maranello, while you are hiding yours technical secrets. Give me a break. Snake pit it is.

To FiA I say, don't make laws you cannot securely enforce to state obvious, but I doubt common sense will stop you.  

I REALLY DON'T GET THIS. 

I read an article stating that Ferrari might have the only "legal" engine around... Or was it Binotto that said that...

Either Ferrari did something that was CLEARLY wrong, or they are getting punished for being Innovative. We will never know because the results is shrouded in mystery, it's not disclosed. So we are always going to have what seems to be these hyprocritical statements, that will sway discussions around this topic into one direction...

26 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I REALLY DON'T GET THIS. 

I read an article stating that Ferrari might have the only "legal" engine around... Or was it Binotto that said that...

Either Ferrari did something that was CLEARLY wrong, or they are getting punished for being Innovative. We will never know because the results is shrouded in mystery, it's not disclosed. So we are always going to have what seems to be these hyprocritical statements, that will sway discussions around this topic into one direction...

I am on the same page, Brad. Fact is, as I've mentioned now more than once, based on all what was published (and read), Ferrari was operating to the same guidelines as others did, however they must have discovered ambiguity in regulations, they opened door, entered and faced success. Rivals were in a hurry to press panic button, each to their own interest. They of course couldn't called innovation and Ferrari beat us fair in square in spirit of F1, so they called (potential) cheating and forced FiA's hand. They all had something to gain by ensuring Ferrari will be pushed back. If you cannot beat them on the track, you beat them off the track.

FiA did not understand technical side of the Ferrari system, so they could not rule one way or another. They side-step the issue, came up with some amendments to existing guidelines which they hope to bring peace into family, and forced Ferrari to compliance. Irony is, unless Ferrari submits merit based complaints against other three engines, we do not know (and might never know), whether MB, Renault and Honda are actually legal per amendments. That's where we are. 

Tombaziz working for FiA actually admitted it is hard for them to be on the same advanced technical level as manufactures are, so they do not possess capability to evaluate engines with aim to determine its legality. 

In my mind Ferrari got really punished for innovation. That's a conclusion I've arrived to, and they cannot defend themselves, unless they are willing to open secret files on their research. That explains their silence.

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I am on the same page, Brad. Fact is, as I've mentioned now more than once, based on all what was published (and read), Ferrari was operating to the same guidelines as others did, however they must have discovered ambiguity in regulations, they opened door, entered and faced success. Rivals were in a hurry to press panic button, each to their own interest. They of course couldn't called innovation and Ferrari beat us fair in square in spirit of F1, so they called (potential) cheating and forced FiA's hand. They all had something to gain by ensuring Ferrari will be pushed back. If you cannot beat them on the track, you beat them off the track.

FiA has no clear conscious of this. They did not understand technical side of the Ferrari system, so they could not rule one way or another. They side-step the issue, came up with some amendments to existing guidelines, and forced Ferrari to compliance. Irony is, unless Ferrari submits merit based complaints against other three engines, we do not know (and might never know), whether MB, Renault and Honda are actually legal per amendments. That's where we are. 

Tombaziz working for FiA actually admitted it is hard for them to be on the same advanced technical level as manufactures are, so they do not possess capability to evaluate engines with aim to determine its legality. 

In my mind Ferrari got really punished for innovation. That's a conclusion I've arrived to, and they cannot defend themselves, unless they are willing to open secret files on their research. That explains their silence.

+1

Date 2020.09.20   Time 17:02 (UTC)

Wolff is yet to announce his decision about the future, but he has hinted that his Mercedes team boss role will at least be divided in two for 2021.

"I'm not sure if the concept of the team principal still works in Formula 1," he is quoted by AS newspaper.

This from a man who knows a thing or two, because he has seen a thing or two. I for one take his word for it. The guy knows what he is talking about. Travel, base related responsibilities, its nerve wrecking job, no doubt about it. We should be not surprised when we learn a human been failed because of overwork, tiredness accompanied by handicapped thinking. (Think Ferrari.)

Date 2020.09.22   Time 3:57 (UTC)

Between Allison and Brawn they seems to be competition who comes up with more s***d ideas. 

Tossing blue flag? 

Blue flag is necessary evil. At least for now, and until people like Allison stop wasting time on stupid gimmicks, and start listen drivers how to correct the situation with overtaking. Once cars can overtake, then toss the flag, toss DRS, etc. I am all for it.  

If Allison doesn't know how to design a car which can overtake, then maybe he should leave and let fresh blood in. He is heavily promoted as a genius, but I say, he is the one who messed car design at Ferrari before he has left. He had free hand for more than a year for design of next generation, and it was a dud. People should tell the truth, instead shifting blames on others. 

But I am digressing.

Era now past has shown that cars in F1 can overtake. This was then. Different people at the helm, different technical rules, less restrictions, and different brand of designers. Drivers can overtake, if you let them. If you ban blue flags now, war starts. People like Webber would let Alonso pass, and block his own teammate. That will go down really well. Drivers who rent the same engines will feel obliged to let MB drivers through, and block others, or at least will make life miserable. Etc.

That's is more than certain to happen. I would not bet that FiA would do what's right. They can play games as anybody else.

Is that's what we want? Not me. I am sick of seeing replacing one gimmick with other one and calling it innovating idea. Under ideal conditions, situation when situation necessitating a blue flag should never exist.

Date 2020.09.22   Time 4:49 (UTC)

Zero-emission

Airbus has unveiled plans to produce the world's first zero-emission commercial planes to run on hydrogen by 2035.

The European aerospace company on Monday released three different aircraft concepts, each exploring a different approach to achieving zero-emission flight but all relying on hydrogen as a primary power source.

These kind of developments will obviously place F1 in difficult position. Adapt or move out of the way is pretty much writing on the wall.

I do recall a symposium I've attended in Mexico some time ago. Invited by an automaker, we were presented already then with hydrogen-car of a future. Electric and hybrids were just stepping stones to buy time before (then) final goal can be reached. 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Blue flag is necessary evil. At least for now, and until people like Allison stop wasting time on stupid gimmicks, and start listen drivers how to correct the situation with overtaking. Once cars can overtake, then toss the flag, toss DRS, etc. I am all for it.  

The difference between the front runners and the ones at the back is HUGE. especially considering where Mercedes is. Mercedes won't slow down their car to put up a healthy show, and by all means, they don't have to. If they are this far ahead, Atleast let them earn their wins by showing SOME overtaking proves. Honestly, they are having it too easy. This could slightly help Redbull and Others to catch up while Mercedes is getting busy with back markers.

If they can LAP them, then there should be no problem in them overtaking them, so what's wrong with that?

Sometime ago I agreed to the blue flags being a necessary evil.

But it would definitely be better then the s##t show we have now a days!

I've wanted the blue flag gone for a decade. If Merc can't overtake a Haas, then you got to be kidding me.

I agree, remove the blue blag immediately. At least try it for a few races.

Date 2020.09.23   Time 5:36 (UTC)

GP247

Former Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali is set to replace Chase Carey as the sport’s chief executive before the start of next season, senior sources confirmed on Tuesday.

This could be a small step in right direction. Domenicali is a real executive, not just by title of the function, worked in and out of F1, knows people in EU automotive business (Audi), and knows also paddock inside out. His abilities are not however suspect. Perhaps we should know more about his philosophy on F1 future. His position probably evolved in past a few years, that's understandable, but we do not know of anything specific where he is now? I am not unhappy with this choice, but I am also not overly exited. I've burned myself already once with one person in current management, and hate ever single minute when I praised the man. Well, I was wrong then, and I am not rushing to get burned again. Stefano will need a chance to prove what he can do. His biggest challenge will be in facing strong English contingent, and theirs home grown ideas. He needs to resist, and establish the leadership bestowed upon him with trust he will do best what is needed for this international sport, free of nationalistic tendencies.

55 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.23   Time 5:36 (UTC)

GP247

This could be a small step in right direction. Domenicali is a real executive, not just by title of the function, worked in and out of F1, knows people in EU automotive business (Audi), and knows also paddock inside out. His abilities are not however suspect. Perhaps we should know more about his philosophy on F1 future. His position probably evolved in past a few years, that's understandable, but we do not know of anything specific where he is now? I am not unhappy with this choice, but I am also not overly exited. I've burned myself already once with one person in current management, and hate ever single minute when I praised the man. Well, I was wrong then, and I am not rushing to get burned again. Stefano will need a chance to prove what he can do. His biggest challenge will be in facing strong English contingent, and theirs home grown ideas. He needs to resist, and establish the leadership bestowed upon him with trust he will do best what is needed for this international sport, free of nationalistic tendencies.

I don't know what to make of this headline.... I did not like the guy much, was happy he got fired at Ferrari....

Last I read about him he was doing well with Lamborghini...

9 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm amazed actually... What prompted this decision?

In speculative terms, this change seems to be a private matter between Liberty and Carey. This is in the talk very long time. The name of his successor is new. Whether he will be confirmed remains to be seen. I am not sure what teams can actually do if they don't like it. They didn't vote for Carey. In the past there was a case when CVC wanted to replace Ecclestone with Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, and Ferrari applied brakes on that nomination. BE continued, which was colossal mistake, I think.

6 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm amazed actually... What prompted this decision?

This 👇

7 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

He has indeed done well at Lamborghini, and has earned a name for him self as a leader.

I guess the powers that be, realized they needed someone who understands F1, and has been successful as a Top hat in a car business elsewhere. Although unfortunately his personality was not highlighted properly during his years as a team principal at Ferrari, his contribution towards Ferrari was significant otherwise. He is a quite a balanced guy to handle the complexities that the top job in F1 requires. But I'm personally not sure if this balanced approach is the right way.

Either ways, I's completely OK with not having someone like Bernie.

13 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I don't know what to make of this headline.... I did not like the guy much, was happy he got fired at Ferrari....

Domenicali also was leading feasibility study for VW (I think Audi) to enter F1.

17 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

Wow, just a Crazy thought.. Would we get to see a Lamborghini in F1?

I'm scared about that 200m entrance fee. Certainly Lamboghini can afford it, but as Sakae suggest, is it really feasible for them?

44 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm scared about that 200m entrance fee. Certainly Lamboghini can afford it, but as Sakae suggest, is it really feasible for them?

Sakae says no to entry under current conditions. But then, I am not in charge.

My post on Sep 13:

Who will fork out 200MM to get humiliated (re: Honda)? New entrant has no data on hybrids, no experience, cannot test, and will be behind a few years...so, what is Brawn and his friends hoping to achieve?

This is the benefit of brand promotion, F1 style, looking inept on global stage?

There is not such a thing as a level playing field. Never was , it is not now, and I don't see it in any foreseeable future.

Current teams have benefit of past knowledge base, which will be applied in full force forward, avoiding mistakes of the past. New entrant is in dark room and on limited life support, handing over 200MM.

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think a new entrant would choose to go buy into a current team instead of applying for a new entry all together, Which is allowed as per my understanding.. So for example if Haas or Williams were to change hands again, the new entrant would not have to pay a fee again,,, as I understand.

In this case they would still have team personnel who are fairly aware about the dynamics and workings of the engine from the respective engine supplier.

In 2022, considering that the price distribution will be fair and the competition would be leveled, a new entrant (Like Lamborghini for Eg.) can benefit from a long term plan.

4 hours ago, blackpebel said:

think a new entrant would choose to go buy into a current team instead of applying for a new entry all together,

U mean, just like how Mercedes bought Brawn GP, and to a lesser extent with Honda buying Torro Roso 2 get in2 the sister team Red Bull Racing

8 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

U mean, just like how Mercedes bought Brawn GP, and to a lesser extent with Honda buying Torro Roso 2 get in2 the sister team Red Bull Racing

More or less..

Except back then there was no 200 Mill to get into F1

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Except back then there was no 200 Mill to get into F1

So U R agreein that, it is nothin new 
The variables were consistent - though such is the marketin power of F1 a fizzy drink joined the F1 party at the right time
Now it WILL happen even more.
Just on a BIGGER scale.
Though the number of independant teams is, now minimal. 
Mclaren R probably the BIGGEST and MOST successful independant team currently on the grid, with Williams having sold out.

Re: Alonso ‘would like to say yes' to third world title

>But realistically it would NOT B a consistent third world title
It would B a GREAT achievement, even surpassing Schumi`s achievements. 
Currently there is ONLY Hamilton who HAS won WDC`s in different F1 era`s.
Hamilton won his FIRST WDC, in the V8 era at Mclaren Mercedes.
Hamilton has now ALSO won WDC`s in the Turbo Hybrid era at the works Mercedes
Schumi ONLY mastered the V8 era, with titles at a number of different teams - NOT just a single team.
Alonso achieved multi WDC`s just at Renault, in the V8 era.

Edited by lipstick79

I will be d**n if I understand this conversation.

McLaren is independent? Independent of whom or what? But it's nice to say something nice about McLaren, even if it makes no sense to me. Resemblance to current politics in well known country is uncanny. How is McLaren more independent than any other team? Say Ferrari, or RBR?

200MM is suddenly no obstacle for smaller teams who have to rent a PU, and starting from different baseline than any current team on the grid in every aspect you can name? That's a new one. Comparing apples and oranges is very fashionable, so it seems as I am trying to follow this conversation (especially ignoring regulatory conditions).

Any new automaker (insert any name) who will not rent an engine is not in massive disadvantage compared to Honda, Ferrari, MB, or Renault, regardless of this fake budget? Really? And I thought even if they hire Covey, it is still lost game for them even before sunrise. Looks like however I am on my own with this perception.

I really don't understand what theory you guys are peddling in here, but carry on, please.