Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.10.02   Time 16:04 (UTC)

GPBlog

Market conditions

World is changing rapidly. Most people, but F1, do understand this. Visiting from some other planet lunatics on sidelines want F1 to go back into last century. Noise pollution, lights pollution, smoke pollution, etc. It's not only on the track, but in supply chain as well. I am surprised that MB actually decided to continue. BMW was ahead of their time recognizing need for technology of tomorrow, one has to wake up early, work intelligently for years, and so they have. Character of markets is changing.  I am not so sure that a brand name in F1 running in circles will change my mind which car to purchase.

This one is even better, and to your point... https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/69552/this-may-have-been-the-deciding-factor-in-honda-s-f1-exit.html

Where is this going to end?

27 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

This one is even better, and to your point... https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/69552/this-may-have-been-the-deciding-factor-in-honda-s-f1-exit.html

Honda re-entered F1 drawn by research in hybrids which has been seen as adaptive technology to street car sector. Honda is not interested in what Brawn is pushing now. That is one factor. The other one - as someone said just recently, "de-globalization is a fact and over the next 25 years the only question will be who wins and who loses". World is adjusting new realities, and F1 is not at the top of survival priorities. 

Honda will go through with their last run for next 18 months, and then they are done.

For now.

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Badly.. I can see the world wide automotive industry heading for a crash.

Seems like dark times ahead for motor racing too.

11 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Badly.. I can see the world wide automotive industry heading for a crash.

Seems like dark times ahead for motor racing too.

Its scary bp...really. It's like death, everyone has to go, but we don't think much about it or we simply ignore, buried and trapped deep in the recesses of our minds...

Bleak but true

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Its scary bp...really. It's like death, everyone has to go, but we don't think much about it or we simply ignore, buried and trapped deep in the recesses of our minds...

Bleak but true

There is still a lot of hope for humanity bro. And for motor racing too.

If it has to be so.. We might just witness Mad Max movie kinda racing scene someday in the after world! Humans would never stop racing.. 

Maybe someday starships.

Ron Dennis brought Honda back in2 F1 WITH Mclaren, with Alonso`s now famous
GP2 engine quote They FINALLY won races with Red Bull though, have never looked like winning another Championship
with a disatisfied Max

17 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

There is still a lot of hope for humanity bro. And for motor racing too.

If it has to be so.. We might just witness Mad Max movie kinda racing scene someday in the after world! Humans would never stop racing.. 

Maybe someday starships.

Lol. Looking forward to it...

Date 2020.10.04   Time 11:24 (UTC)

GP247:

In retrospect, Honda will also be remembered for delivering McLaren an F2 engine for F1; then finding redemption in Red Bull with victories, only to skulk away losers and underachievers.

For a billion dollars that’s hardly good PR.

F*** off and good riddance Honda and Takahiro Hachigo, your gratitude is not accepted – don’t come back!

This is a portrait  of F1 media in my mind; rapacious, rogue, and hard for stomach to take. Sowing discord and chaos with printed misinformation.

• Total disregard for all Honda has done for the F1 sport. (Assets sold to Brawn below actual cost (did not want leave behind any bad feelings), money pumped into McLaren, RBR...)
  • Total disregard of pandemic economical conditions, change of real-world policies in US that shook global markets, and chocked streams of income that usual global business provided in the past.
  • Total disregard for regulatory difficulties for the late entrant as Honda certainly was. Approx. 5 years behind MB. I am actually not certain that the author understands internal linkages.

As Thomas Bagger (adviser to German president) puts it (in adaptive paraphrasing): ‘ My problem is that I expect everyone to learn the same lessons as I do.’ That much is valid in daily life, just as in this F1 world.

F1 doesn't deserve companies like Honda. Not now in the state it is.

I read the article... Its a scathing review. Some of the harsh sentiments could have been kept to him self by the author but he chose to go all out with his feeling for Honda.. He seems bitter and hurt by Hondas undoing.

It shows the reality of the honda project in a very raw verbiage.

3 hours ago, blackpebel said:

I read the article... Its a scathing review. 

It is an opinion, not a review. Opinion I do not agree with.

Ecclestone once claimed that MB launched hybrid research in 2010, and worked closely with FiA on specs. Honda with all burden one bears when coming 5 years later to the project basically was in no winning situation - yet they prevailed, and almost caught up with MB. Under circumstances they performed exceptionally well, Alonso, Verstappen, Horner or anyone else notwithstanding. 

Insensitivity and downright ignorance in and around F1 is often just too overwhelming. F1 is a playground. Off track, however, there is life with people who feed their families. I have no problem to understand that. Honda as a responsible corporation is taking a responsible approach, instead just handing pink slips, as customary elsewhere.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, Sakae said:

There is NO such thing as bad advertising.
The process HAS kept Honda in the news - just like a fizzy drink.

2 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

There is NO such thing as bad advertising.
The process HAS kept Honda in the news - just like a fizzy drink.

I didn't say that. You are quoting a quote by someone in GP247.

14 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:
On 10/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, Sakae said:

U DID say it - the site populated automatically 

good PR or NOT
There is NO such thing as BAD advertising

Date 2020.10.06   Time 5:05 (UTC)

The topic is Honda and tangent conversation which is subsequently taking off.

For very long time wise men on sidelines of the sport solving dubious F1 business model by throwing all manufacturers out, claiming as they are source of all evil. "We allow" you to supply only PU(s) and that's it, declared one with a hot keyboard.

Honda, engine manufacturer, is leaving, and new rhetoric surfaced - "we need to take decision out of hands of external men". I presume an author meant management of engine factories. F1 (presumably London) will decide if you go or stay. I am not entirely sure how the author proposed to implement that idea, but nonetheless, he was serious about it.

Another hot idea which is appearing in F1 related articles, return to Normally Aspirated Engines, and then presumably as one member leaves, two come in to replace him, while paying entrant faces hefty fee for privilege getting abused, badmouthed and ripped off. 

As someone said, the measure of an institution is not the difficulties it faces, but how it surmounts them. In that spirit, F1 better not expect good marks if judged by those criteria.

Listening to this noise, I am not entirely sure which business entity will finance racing engines without any relevance to anything on the road, while technical budgets are directed towards future technologies. Anyone else sense we are heading for British Indy series with F1 moniker?   

If RBR buy Honda's IP, then I got to be honest, I'm excited!

RBR are no mugs. Look at how much the helped improve the Honda package compared to the pitiful McLaren attempt.

Whatever the engine is badged as, it will not see RBR fall back into the pack. I'm quietly optimistic this will turn out great.

3 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

If RBR buy Honda's IP, then I got to be honest, I'm excited!

RBR are no mugs. Look at how much the helped improve the Honda package compared to the pitiful McLaren attempt.

Whatever the engine is badged as, it will not see RBR fall back into the pack. I'm quietly optimistic this will turn out great.

KM, you are eternal optimist, aren't you? I am not sure about wisdom RBR getting involved with drive lines, but my bet is on Renault. Anyhoo, decision which-way is now with the owner.

Date 2020.10.08   Time 5:12 (UTC)

Agree. Absolutely.

Interesting article.

Speaking factually from a position of inside knowledge, Cyril Abiteboul is correct, but my question is, why speaking so late? Why not in Summer of 2014 when obvious was obvious to everyone and dutifully ignored by FiA and commercial owners? I will paraphrase what Vettel said the other day: when you resort to gimmicks like turning grid upside down, then you are trying to mask your failure in primary objective, making F1 competitive (normal way). I would understand initial CA might have been rigid contract, but isn't there lately some clause for common sense when things go wrong, we need to correct them instead waiting for another x-years? 

(My) Solution: Replace a Rule book and allow F1 to be F1. Do it today. Whacky recommendation? Perhaps, but desperate conditions sometimes  do require drastic solutions. 

19 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Please address the relevant poster you are quoting

I am NOT quotin ANYBODY. specifically
Observational comment,
           The end is just the beginning - it applies to anything and everything.

17 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

I am NOT quotin ANYBODY. specifically
Observational comment,
           The end is just the beginning - it applies to anything and everything.