Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

Races are falling off the calendar one after another. One wonders if there will be any season at all. Not a single location anywhere is immune to corona, that much we know already, and it might be we are fooling ourselves if we are waiting for miracle, and this thing will suddenly disappear. 

FiA Sporting Regulations:

The maximum number of Competitions in the Championship is 25, the minimum is 10.

Should 13 races will be eliminated, a season will be cancelled. I think that could also happen earlier, if common sense kicks in suddenly.

As of this writing, I believe following races were or are in process of cancellation:

• Australia,  Vietnam,  Chinese,  Spanish,  Monaco (Total 5)

Very doubtful to stay on calendar:

• Most of EU races (Germany lost almost all interest in F1), Italy, Austria and France are all in strict quarantine. Restriction on travel in effect.

There will be more confirmations to come, unfortunately.

Lovely (GPTechnical)

Just three days after the announcement, the seven non-Ferrari powered team issued a letter to express their disappointment of the investigation. It is believed that Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff contacted the other outfits and pushed for action against the governing body. It has now emerged that Mercedes steps out of the war after the parent company Daimler's Chairman Ola Källenius talked to Fiat president John Elkann. The Sweden is reported to be in an internal battle with Wolff with the Austrian having gained a significant power inside the company.

So, the Swede and Austrian at internal war? Wolff has significant investment in the German team (in my recollection without checking about 30%..?), however mother ship still is the heavy lifter.

Observation:

• Zetsche's replacement obviously doesn't like controversy.
  • If reporting is accurate, question is, whether this is just a flick on a screen, or irreparable fracture in the relationship. Who knows how long that is going on in the background. Ola has other priorities than F1. 

I am suspicious that Mercedes (Stuttgart) might be scaling down their involvement in F1, and they want to do it quietly and without fanfare. There are numerous indicators why this might not be just an empty speculation. Auto business is not normal at the moment.

• US adversarial politics make really mess out of reliance on global markets.
  • Consumer demands decreased - think electric is on rise (probably misguided).
  • Production and Distribution with global pandemic is not helping.
  •  
  • Positive: gasoline is dirt cheap, and people still like vroom vroom cars, so, who knows, at least on short term.  

Is it good for a driver like Perez, and racing general?

Papa Stroll is heavily invested in Racing Point, and his son's future behind c#ckpit. One wonders what is Perez thinking about it, since influence in car preparation and race strategy might get sniff of it, regardless of rhetoric (we are all equal; well, some are more equal than others). This is almost granted.

Will Perez potentially become No. 2 in that team?

Life is sometimes that way, and who said it's not about money? 

Pirelli have confirmed one of their F1 personnel, on the ground in Melbourne following the Australian Grand Prix weekend, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Pirelli guys are moving through paddock and assigned garages, so, there is nothing much smart to say about this situation. 

Frankly speaking I am lost how this is going to get resolved. Pirelli, Alfa Romeo, Alpha Tauri, RBR, Mercedes personnel, Ferrari, FiA...all in contact with risk areas. Engine people, tires people,...its not all in UK.

Good news: some research labs are hoping to have desirable results in this summer. We have to trust its not all just empty talk.

28 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Pirelli have confirmed one of their F1 personnel, on the ground in Melbourne following the Australian Grand Prix weekend, has tested positive for the coronavirus. .

Geeezzz..thats just sad ...man!!

28 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Pirelli guys are moving through paddock and assigned garages, so, there is nothing much smart to say about this situation. 

Frankly speaking I am lost how this is going to get resolved. Pirelli, Alfa Romeo, Alpha Tauri, RBR, Mercedes personnel, Ferrari, FiA...all in contact with risj areas. Engine people, tires people,...its not all in UK.

Good news: some research labs are hoping to have desirable results in this summer. We have to trust its not all just empty talk.

Are u talkin cure/vaccine?

Pirelli case is precisely a reason why this season should be cancelled IMHO. Playing with fire is fitting for this situation, and yes, they are talking about a vaccine samples suitable for testing being available soon. What a sweet pill to calm public. 

Stll, before public can take a shot on individual basis, we are looking many months from now down the road. Noted is also possibility, that complete cure might be not found and we will need to learn to live with it. For now, we need to stay optimistic. Lets hope for the best.

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Pirelli case is precisely a reason why this season should be cancelled IMHO. Playing with fire is fitting for this situation, and yes, they are talking about a vaccine samples suitable for testing being available soon. What a sweet pill to calm public. 

Stll, before public can take a shot on individual basis, we are looking many months from now down the road. Noted is also possibility, that complete cure might be not found and we will need to learn to live with it. For now, we need to stay optimistic. Lets hope for the best.

Exactly... Timeframe I read was 2 years.. I think its optimistic. We have'nt even cured cancer of HIV yet...

On the other side of the spectrum..ebola and swine flu is almost extinct is'nt it...

Swine flu treatment is left to individual immune system to fight it. I am not however a medical doctor, thus my knowledge is basically the same as is in public domain.

Ebola - we do not have a vaccine as yet, and all what we have are merely experimental drugs. That's my understanding. 

Yea, I read that some people in Germany would have something ready for test in June or July. Of course, it has to be tested, it has to work, then it has to be manufactured, and then it had to be distributed.   Still, it would mean a lot if this was available in the next 6-12 months.

Meanwhile, China is reporting less than 25       new cases a day, so they might be getting it under control (if the reports are correct).

From reports it seems China got under control containment, which is reflected by decrease of new cases, but I am not aware of any cure being available just yet.

To be frank, I am not sure why Liberty is actually planning any races and undertake risk of mass contamination along way, when all indicators are pointing towards only protection we have today - stay put, and avoid crowds. 

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Re: ...  all what we have are merely experimental drugs
Ebola  - Y R U soo familiar WITH, experimenting with drugs ?? !!

For some reason I am not. Thus far, knock on wood, I had no need for it.

DW:

The US has started testing a potential coronavirus vaccine on healthy volunteers in Seattle.

The virus operates by binding to human cells. The new vaccine contains parts of the virus' genetic information, but doesn't contain the virus itself. Researchers hope the vaccine could trigger the body's defenses and make recipients immune to the actual COVID-19 virus.

However, the NIH has repeatedly stated it would take between 12 and 18 months before all tests are complete and the vaccine is deemed safe for mass use.

...and implications for sporting events are = ?

I could use some help here with this summary where we are, because number of issues Teams, Drivers, Liberty and FiA have on their plate are really getting out of hand. Just to name a few:

- 2019 season in hard cold cash numbers?

- should car development continue, or car should be trash it?

- 2021 car - what are the specs?

- who is in and who is out in the new CA?

- is it right time to impose budget limits?

- are mistakes of 2014 going to be repeated next year? (Engine development freeze, etc.)

- you name it; I am actually not sure what is finalized.

- how many races in next season? Is there going to be a season? Pirelli is an Italian company, and Italians do have really problems with corona. 

...and much more

Some random ponderings for today...

We've been looking forward to this season... The pain is in unexpected non-delivery...could'nt imagine life without it.....even for a year...

We shud count our blessings and not take things for granted like we almost always do....

7 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Some random ponderings for today...

We've been looking forward to this season... The pain is in unexpected non-delivery...could'nt imagine life without it.....even for a year...

We shud count our blessings and not take things for granted like we almost always do....

Very much so. I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but at the moment, realistically speaking, I am not so sure we will do any racing next season either. No one can predict how our future looks like in next few months, but we can bet that public health at large will take precedence over sporting events of any kind. It's not going to be over in 12 months. At best, I would be preparing for 10 races in 2021 in second half of the next year.

F1 home-force in design and factories will be decimated. Family needs income, and there is no job to go to. During temporary shut down it might decrease from 1600 employees to skeleton crew (indispensable for their expertise) keeping lights on. (100 - 300 souls + administration?) 

Has anyone agreed to accept FiA's (probably mostly Liberty) - 2021 FORMULA 1 FINANCIAL REGULATIONS - 2020-03-06?

It's new addition to the Sporting and Technical Regulations we came to know over the years.

I took a few moments to quick scan about 43 pages, and in my first impression I find them intrusive, complex, very expensive in its impact on a team in practice and audit, and mostly incomprehensible to a non-financial person. Moreover, my overwhelming feeling is its not all and only about cost cutting. 

I should add, in comparison, my subscription/simple hook up to internet is now 32 pages long on both sides of A4 letter size paper and written in font 8. Lawyers like to keep busy. I actually don't understand half of that language, but who cares? 

At this point I don't know who has signed on for next CA, but my recommendation to all EU companies would be not to accept it. Walk away while you have time, and build a fire wall now.

On the same topic explanation in detail: :P

American specs: 43 pages full of trap doors.

EU specs: 95 pages - no traps.

Japanese specs: 1 page - liberation

Contract: 

Please reduce cost about to this X EUR amount, and submit report by this date. Thank you and sorry for bothering you with this unproductive subject.

•  

IS BUDGETING EASY?

I would like to quote here Fenster who through his wisdom tell us something about budgeting, and we should have his words in mind as we muddle with this new toy FiA and Liberty imposed upon F1 teams:

The problem with the future is that it hasn’t happened yet. I had a hard time explaining this to my finance students in a discussion of accounting and budgeting. Accounting is replete with risks and uncertainties, but for the most part they are risks and uncertainties associated with whether you put things that already happened into the proper and most useful buckets. Budgeting has all those risks, combined with the much more significant risk that things have not happened yet, and that your tool for managing the future my not only be off as a result of internal factors but external factors not under your control.

...and if team's budget is off, what then? I am not sure I got any understanding what will follow.

That reminds me of Mary Parker Follett:

The result is that rulers and ruled keep fighting senselessly to reciprocal exhaustion.

...and F1 will be full of action once again.

Ferrari and Vettel continue to negotiate mutual future.  Boys, it's time to close the issue and focus on the job in hand. I say.

Ricciardo meanwhile is sending smoke signals that he is sitting by the phone, waiting for a call to leave Renault organization. My advice to DR, for the time be, don't drink anything handed to you by your team members. It will be probably better for your health.

Hamilton placed a huge price tag on his chest without any worries that there are in my estimation another 4 or 7 drivers on the grid who can sit in that car and potentially win all races. I gather Mercedes has massive problem at home, where fans are falling off band wagon like over-ripe fruits. It's hard to find friends of F1 in the land where a concept of car was born.

Binotto says that last year they were slow in turns, and now they are faster. Drivers, he says, are happy and impressed. I think we need then a real race to see his words in action. We should not forget that Mattia also declared couple of times that SF1000 is slower compared to rivals. I take it he meant in straight line speed and therefore in qualifying. Internet pages placing Ferrari into P3 on current grid. RBR was promoted by the same writers into P2.

Teams dependent predominantly on race earned income for their racing existence could be in trouble (again) this year. I am not sure what the solution is for them other than take it from well-off, and give it to poor. Another solution, one I've actually preferred for years, is based on simple advice, namely, if you cannot afford it, don't do it. Get out asap.

MERCEDES

Most people do not have time to chase every rumor on the internet, but this one is juicy one. Wolff out from Mercedes and consequently Hamilton's future there could be unclear. It is not clear of exact reasons why Wolff would be leaving . There could be however several plausible ones.

Refreshment course what was tossed around for some time on this topic:

• Economy is in shambles and automakers have other priorities than worry about F1.
  • Mercedes has a new boss (Chairman Ola Källenius) who seems to have his own mind about F1.
  • Speculations long time ago focused on MB continuation supplying engines, but selling the team.
  • From the distance Torger and Ola seems at odds with each other. Is that's a reason? Are we exaggerating?
  • Better offer elsewhere for Wolff? About that, if he takes it, I think we have one more indication that Mercedes might be scaling down their presence in F1. I do not believe Wolff would leave his team just from boredom, chasing fame in some midfield team. Maybe he "got an offer, which he couldn't refuse", but I doubt it. 

I think of he leaves, its because he did not want to be boss of engine production and distribution only, therefore bye bye.

There seems to be more action off track than in racing, despite that above is just speculation. That Racing Point move could be new on the internet, however indicators that something is up is there for some time.

So there is a virtual F1 race using some/most of the F1 drivers on Sunday at the time of the old Bahrain Grand Prix. I gather it is being shown on Youtube. Is it being shown on Sky or regular TV. Does anyone have the youtube link?

I have seen headlines on the internet, however that was as far as I got. Fire is missing.

On 3/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, Sakae said:

Are you suggesting Hamilton would have all those trophies without Mercedes? Forget RB's alleged advantage. Vettel at least met his rivals on equal footing in a car of comparative strength, yet I did not see any car equaling Mercedes in power, aero and chassis since 2014 and hardly anyone ever mentions that. Some people have temerity to defame Vettel as driving what was in their minds a "best car", and do not mind to ignore objective facts.

+1 Never a truer word in F1 terms spoken