Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

2020 / 03 / 31   15:08 (UTC)

RACING POINT

Next year it will be renamed (again) to ASTON MARTIN, Stroll senior presiding. Carmaker will retain Mercedes PU.

Is it too soon to start speculating about this development? This Mercedes thing rather implies, that at least the MB Engine division is staying with F1 - for now. I am however having difficulty to envision a clothing merchant running high tech company. Certainly it has all ingredients to be interesting story next year, and it perhaps could explain why Stroll was probably trying to get Wolff running the outfit on his behalf.

Sounds like there is YTI consortium behind this purchase. Their aim:

Yew Tree Investments & Asset Management is a dedicated company that works to maintain, preserve and expand the wealth and assets of its clients.

So, they are not in F1 to loose money. Beats me what kind of calculations they made when they put money on the table for this team.

Stroll:

“With the Aston name comes more pressure and expectation,” said Stroll, whose son Lance partners Sergio Perez at Racing Point currently. “We will need to be competitive from the outset. But I have no doubt the team at Silverstone will rise to the challenge and do the Aston Martin name proud.

Pressure is on. For the record, I do not like this style of management. People who are working there are fully aware what's expected without bombastic and unnecessary statements, which will improve nothing, but making them nervous and potentially sick with declining performance. Sure, F1 is not a place for weak minds, or lazy bumps, but these folks are on the edge already, so why push them to a breakpoint? I am obviously not material which would be hired by this organization. Whipping stick used to deployed on slave ships, but I thought (naively) that era is behind us. I would be disappointed if Wolff takes that direction.

2020 / 04 / 02   6:44 (UTC) - CHAT

It was traditional "fools day", Apr 1.  What I find interesting about it, that I was and I do remain unable to distinguish anymore on pages of internet media what was meant to be a joke, humor, what is just rumor, and what is factual. F1 media in my mind never were famous for sticking to facts, and one could observe jump in numbers of dubious articles during summer break between races, but this time it is reaching a point when one has to consider preservation of personal sanity, and perhaps cut down on diet of "F1 news". 

Penske is buying F1? Really? Even corona news and how we enduring pandemic in personal context seems more interesting. 

2020 / 04 / 02   9:18 (UTC) - MERCEDES stay or go?

I am discussing the future with Ola Kallenius regarding how we will continue to work together," said Wolff, who is rumoured to not get on well with Daimler's new CEO.

After several years of domination, deservedly so or not, one can only scratch head over alleged conflict, but fractured relationship is not what F1 can use right now. I do not wish to be mischievous, but when the exodus of technical resources kicks in whilst there is some interest in competing teams? 

Källenius, chairman of the board of management of Daimler AG explaining the criteria necessary (for se-signing), told Autocar: 

"It is important to us that any deal should be ecologically satisfactory as well as financially sound".

2020 / 04 / 03   20:19 (UTC)

What does tt mean in practice? Ecologically satisfactory? Financially sound? Are we discussing F1?

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

2020 / 04 / 03   20:19 (UTC)

What does tt mean in practice? Ecologically satisfactory? Financially sound? Are we discussing F1?

ecologically satisfactory...

Wow, what a nice phrase. Certain kind of talk is'nt it... what u alluding to. Picture comes up of boardroom talk.. Men around a big table, discussing deals and agendas. Thinking how they will screw one another, and the one next to him, just to get an advantage over them and drive YOUR agenda... with big rise in financials 

...Wording of a true board member

5 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

ecologically satisfactory...

Wow, what a nice phrase. Certain kind of talk is'nt it... what u alluding to. Picture comes up of boardroom talk.. Men around a big table, discussing deals and agendas. Thinking how they will screw one another, and the one next to him, just to get an advantage over them and drive YOUR agenda... with big rise in financials 

...Wording of a true board member

2020 / 04 / 04   4:20 (UTC)

I am reading articles how F1 needs to make cost acceptable for teams like Williams, especially PU (engines). Sounds like it is a suggestion to carmakers to pay for research, and then give it away free to teams like Williams. Problem however is not only with economics of the project, but also with declaration that F1 aims to be carbon free "soon".

How soon? How they are going to achieve that, when there is talk on regulatory side about freezing development of PU for next 2 or 3 years?

Cars that run on electric motors powered by hydrogen fuel cells, and all that comes out of their exhausts is water vapor is not entirely new technology and meets the target set by ecological demands. Some dutch guys were having it done on small scale a decade ago already; so, it can be done, it was done, and dutifully ignored by F1.

All what FI has to do is take that technology, make it workable in F1 environment, or stop talking about being "ecologically satisfactory". Believe it or not, there are still voices heard on the internet calling for F1 return to old style V8 for sake of cutting cost. (I read such article just yesterday.)

It is not funny anymore, and hard to swallow politics of it.

Note: pollution of course is multifaceted problem. Next to carbon, it could be light in night, it could be noise, etc. The engine dutch guys demonstrated was relatively silent, and carbon free.

2020 / 04 / 04   6:26 (UTC) - more on MERCEDES

With time as more microphones are handed to Källenius, I am begin to get suspicious that we probably have a line of understanding what's going on with Wolff. I think in speculative terms, that Wolff and Hamilton were asked to take pay cut. Forget driver's demand for best car on the grid and 60 Mill / season (that was reported earlier this year). I wonder if that's one of those items of what could be on a negotiation list.

Wolff apparently is in negotiations on his own. Some facts:

1. US managed to change rules of global business, and conducts quite openly adversarial financial war against Germany, especially car business.

2. China is affected by above and for different reasons as well, and therefore there is ripple effect on German suppliers.

3. Revenues for car companies is declining. Economy is on slide not seen in past 100 years.

4. Emission targets placing pressure on automakers in Germany to make changes to 4-wheel toys. As an example I cite 2020 Mercedes S65 AMG V12 in limited edition - most lovely car ever built (I drool just seeing it), but no more. Era of beauty and excess came to the end.

etc.

New Mercedes CEO is merely pursuing technological re-focus just as their main competitors (Audi and BMW) have done many years ago already. BMW was taking heat - something about having tail between legs and running away from F1, whereas what I saw was the Bavarian automaker having enough of foresight what's coming and change, but blind haters on F1 sidelines failed to understand.

Wolff probably has mindset more aligned with technology and economical mood in paddock, whereas Källenius is market oriented, as he should be. Clash of cultures, clash of ideas. Nobody gets all what they want, and there will be a compromise. That's how German business works. What is new for me, here is clash between different cultures. Källenius is a Swede working in German environment, whereas Wolff is an Austrian working in UK environment with German money and support, despite that he (just as Seb and Kimi) is living in Switzerland.  

It's fun to speculate, as nothing much more going on. 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

2020 / 04 / 04   4:20 (UTC)

I am reading articles how F1 needs to make cost acceptable for teams like Williams, especially PU (engines). Sounds like it is a suggestion to carmakers to pay for research, and then give it away free to teams like Williams. Problem however is not only with economics of the project, but also with declaration that F1 aims to be carbon free "soon".

How soon? How they are going to achieve that, when there is talk on regulatory side about freezing development of PU for next 2 or 3 years?

Cars that run on electric motors powered by hydrogen fuel cells, and all that comes out of their exhausts is water vapor is not entirely new technology and meets the target set by ecological demands. Some dutch guys were having it done on small scale a decade ago already; so, it can be done, it was done, and dutifully ignored by F1.

All what FI has to do is take that technology, make it workable in F1 environment, or stop talking about being "ecologically satisfactory". Believe it or not, there are still voices heard on the internet calling for F1 return to old style V8 for sake of cutting cost. (I read such article just yesterday.)

It is not funny anymore, and hard to swallow politics of it.

Note: pollution of course is multifaceted problem. Next to carbon, it could be light in night, it could be noise, etc. The engine dutch guys demonstrated was relatively silent, and carbon free.

I just love your insight my friend.. thx for the research and sharing:coffee::cheers:

2020 / 04 / 06   7:45 (UTC)  - F1 ECONOMICS 

So, (some) teams are trying to decrease team's mandated budget to levels which are probably more suitable for era 30 - 40 years ago. I am curious how that will work with today's prices - of everything.

When common sense is gone, strange things take shape around us. Industry such as carmakers will be hit by low demand (depression state of economy) and disruptions in supply base. There is zero chance that low budget will save teams living from paycheck to paycheck. What has to happen will happen, regardless what Liberty says or will do. 

In other news:

Monday 6 April at 09:35 : Apr.6 (GMM) Toto Wolff says he is staying in charge of Mercedes' works F1 team for "the short term".

Is short term = end of this year?

Lack of detail could mean one of two things - (i) negotiations are ongoing and not concluded, (ii) there will be change on Mercedes side announced soon. Torger is holding his cards close to his chest. Good for him.

Now Wolff has been heard, that contractual negotiations with Stuttgart are on hold. Is it because travel restrictions or lack of interest as there are higher priorities?

Edited by Sakae

Date 2020.04.09   Time 9:27 (UTC)

Brown is complaining that low budget is necessary to bring cars closer together, which in turn gives us better racing.

Patently wrong, Mr. Brown.

Cars are already within a second of each other. Any closer and they will be running on top of each other. If Mclaren wants to be more competetive, there is a pill for it - make a better car, and your dream will become reality. Well, maybe so...

...as a team's CEO he should know by now that cars running closer together is not panacea for better racing. Cars have to overtake each other, and that is depended on suitable technical solution (as opposed to financial one). You don't get it however by constantly voting for more restrictions, and chocking engineers to death. Accountants are not going to fix it, despite how hard they are trying to make empty promises.   

Date 2020.04.11   Time 8:55 (UTC) - VETTEL

Sounds of F1 engines was replaced with talk about viruses and from scarcity of action on the track, consequently number of defamation articles popping up like mushrooms, some of them borderline libelous. Today's subject is - again, in my estimation for 100x times - clumsy, incompetent, evil Vettel. I came across one of articles returning to the event known as Multi 21. It is a story attempting to explain basis of preceding friction between teammates, and the one I've heard many times before from mouth of people with some credibility who actually were in a position of knowing the facts, because of access they had/have.

What lead to "Multi 21"?

Revenge is the answer. I have no problem with this article. Author is trying within a reason to stay objective. So much cannot be said about many others.

F1 media (and consequently others who simply recycle what is printed on the internet) couldn't be less interested in Webber's behaviour. Perhaps Sebastian should not have done it, and we can discuss whether he would get any credit for that (I doubt it), but I do understand his resolve.

I am intrigued why so many are busy retiring this driver and giving ideas to Binotto who should be replacing him. I am not really sure why it is so, but dark side of human psyche is as strong as ever, as no one takes care to take some of those people to the account of responsibility and ask, can you prove what you are saying? What kind of data driven analysis you can provide for your statements of vile and hate? Why Vettel and not others who committed similar "offenses"? 

I don't think this all has its basis because of Brexit hate. Defamation and lack of accurate, objective reporting about Vettel existed long time ago, emanating from certain sources, and then copied, reprinted and spread like Corona viruses. Today many are accepting what's written as factual history of this driver.

It reminds me of words suited for this situation, as someone stated so eloquently:

Opinions like this insidiously sow the beginnings of everything bad about the human race: xenophobia, racism, apartheid, intolerance, discrimination, an antipathy the world needs less of. It is sad this persists in the 21st century. 

From my own perspective, COVID-19 is not the only problem we are experiencing, but walking away from it without search for remedy is just another way of legalising it. Perhaps we have past point of no return, and we need massive disaster like Covid to pull us back to decency. 

On 31/03/2020 at 4:22 PM, Sakae said:

Is it too soon to start speculating about this development? This Mercedes thing rather implies, that at least the MB Engine division is staying with F1 - for now.

We ALREADY know that, at at least the MB Engine division is staying with F1 - for now
Mercedes WILL return to supplying Mclaren, replacing the Renault PU.

10 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

We ALREADY know that, at at least the MB Engine division is staying with F1 - for now
Mercedes WILL return to supplying Mclaren, replacing the Renault PU.

Date 2020.04.11   Time 11:58 (UTC)

Agree; it's not difficult to arrive to such conclusion. Selling the team in current (probably any) declining bubble-economy is another story. Mercedes might end up being forced to keep the team simply for lack of purchasing interest. (Movie "Margin Call" reflects in interesting way on some of those financial issues behind the scene). 

32 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.04.11   Time 11:58 (UTC)

Mercedes might end up being forced to keep the team simply for lack of purchasing interest.

The OPPOSITE is actually ALSO true.  There MAY become GREAT interest in F1 now as a result of covID#19
The covID#19 situation HAS brought ALL eyes onto F1.  What IS F1 goin 2 do ... ?? 
GUARANTEED marketin exposure.  Somebody like Cosworth COULD become a world brand, all eyes ON Cosworth.
> I AM usin Cosworth purely as an EXAMPLE without speculating anything - I have NO inside knowledge.  
Entering F1 at this time WOULD prove a better/cheaper alternative than producin a fizzy drink

Edited by lipstick79

In sad news (as if we don't have enough already) it was announced that Sir Stirling Moss passed away this morning. RIP to a legend of the sport and from what I saw of him, a lovely man.

Edited by Lyria

This was a man who said once: 

"Better to lose honourably in a British car than win in a foreign one".

It is always a sad moment when a person starts journey into unreported world we know nothing about, leaving us behind with memories and regrets. 

5 hours ago, Lyria said:

In sad news (as if we don't have enough already) it was announced that Sir Stirling Moss passed away this morning. RIP to a legend of the sport and from what I saw of him, a lovely man.

One of the true greats and a class act.

Date 2020.04.13   Time 11:02 (UTC) ECCLESTONE (again, who else?)

ECCLESTONE: DEMOCRACY HAS NEVER WORKED IN FORMULA 1

OK, but is an editor responsible for the headline / Mr. Ecclestone saying dictators are always right and knowing all therefore rich teams have to bring money and nothing else? He and Mr. Mosley with their enablers like Whiting had practiced dictatorship in F1 for many years, and while CVC and those two got pretty rich, yet teams like Williams not that much. So, why make dubious and insidious statements like that? 

Date 2020.04.15   Time 7:28 (UTC) - Will Wolff leave Mercedes for FiA?

Wolff for President?

Mr. Todt announced a few days ago that he will not stand for another term as President of FiA. Linked article speculates about Wolff's future and his potential candidacy to replace Todt. Speculations in this business is like air we breath. First he was to lead Racing Point team, and now this one.

How about him staying where he is, or just retiring? With size of his bank account he is set for life.

To kill some time we can ponder what kind of president would he be. First, I should say, I am not sure whether I agree with author, that FiA is dominated with (ex)Ferrari men. I count exactly one. Brawn (and he works for Liberty), and Todt. Where I sit, I think FiA is (still) dominated with (ex)Mosley's men, who made FiA job a cushy job for life, Todt kept most of them, but that's another matter for another day.

I am not sure about changing FiA under Wolff. The institution is full of characters who are there for very long time, and lacking any interest to shake a boat; so it seems from F1 side. Second issue is, Brawn was also "icon" for his countrymen, but after he went to Liberty, for me he is today anything but an icon. Very disappointed in him, which only proves once again that Ecclestone was right when he was once discussing Brawn's professional abilities.  

I do not subscribe theory that management experience with a team, which he has, would automatically carry over well into corridors of FiA. In fact, a technician like Wolff is, may fall on his face in no time. FiA is too political and I don't perceive Wolff as a politician. At the end, he might be smart enough to realize trappings such job would pose for him, so we will have to wait. I am still 50-50 on his future with Mercedes, and in conclusion, I say no, Wolff is a wrong man to replace Todt, despite all success in his life.  

Date 2020.04.18   Time 5:42 (UTC) - IS SIMRACING THE ANSWER?

Now when "my driver" purchased a simracing rig, do I have to actually watch it too? First of all, I don't have a clue what simracing rig actually is. Sounds like some toy which substitutes real racing, but I am guessing. I've never, not even for a weak moment, wanted to get involved in esports, but should I have? Many are switching to it.

I want a real thing. That's what F1 used to be. A real thing, it is ingrained on my mind, I have tattoo on my liver "loving real thing". I am not sure if Seb will change my mind.

Sooner we calm down and continue practice recommended guidelines such as social distancing is, sooner new cases of infection will decline, and letting us live and wait for medical establishment to develop safe return to normal life, which includes real racing. Premature deals such proposed racing during pandemic condition seem greatly irresponsible to me. 

Hey Guys and Gals,

I hope this is the right place to put this!

I'm currently doing my dissertation on F1 attendance at events (age, gender, how long youve been watching it etc) and I'm looking for a few numbers on my survey to help support the data I have already gathered. 

I would really appreciate you guys helping me out on my survey, its completely anonymous and only takes 1 minute to complete.

cheers in advance everyone. 

https://gethinlove.typeform.com/to/Tn2JzX

Well good luck with your research, but I personally pass on the survey. I am not sure about others.

If I may suggest, Ecclestone used to issue annual reports on state of the F1 for shareholders, where such information was included. In addition, there is a man - Sylt - who is selling himself as a business journalist with focus on motorsports. I hope I got his name right. I think he occasionally contributes to Forbes. Maybe he could help and point you to right direction.

Good luck.

N.B.

Didn't you submitted similar request elsewhere long time ago? For some strange reason I don't think we are crossing paths first time.

Date 2020.04.21   Time 7:10 (UTC) VETTEL HAMILTON CONTRACTS

I find interesting how much of presumably confidential information is plastered on F1 web sites. It really doesn't matter if it is Hamilton or Vettel, but F1 scribes seems to "know" all essential details, such as contract duration and contractual amount, or are they? How do they get hold of that information? It puzzles me. I thought contracts are a private matter. 

Is it just me, or there is a lot of nastiness written about Vettel just about every day some headlines or n-time recollection of past events, vilifying a man with no limits in sight. Who are those self-righteous people judging this man?

Date 2020.04.21   Time 18:43 (UTC) HAAS

Sounds like Haas is counting on a few things to go his way, for him to stay. This is impression I am having after reading Steiner's remarks.

18 race to pay for this year? Call me sceptical, but I am assuming they know more than I do.

Cost must drop down.  I say, whatever.

One would think it should be getting tiring for everyone involved. From track testing we have moved to Wind Tunnel, and now because some teams cannot afford Wind Tunnel, we move competition between Ph.D (s). Nerds in aerodynamics and computational dynamics will design car in their cubicles to save coins. That's just great. I have a friend who makes living doing similar work, and he reminds me the old wisdom about "poop in, poop out"... how easily is to make an error in inputs, only to find when it is late, that there was a mistaken assumption entered...  

Is anyone thinking that this is all perhaps deliberate to chase automakers out from owning teams? No one should be blamed asking such questions, because some of the stuff we see is really hard to swallow.