Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind?

Exactly. How you can compare drivers of different era? Apparently some people do.

Hamilton is fast in that MB rocket? That's a big surprise (not). Other drivers in lesser machinery are then not that good as him?

There is so many variables involved that any study of this kind is utter waste of time (IMO).

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Exactly. How you can compare drivers of different era? Apparently some people do.

It is what it is, it is a simulated data that is trying to offer us a glimps of who performed good on a one lap, and mostly the data is calculated through qualifying as I understand.

Ofcourse it is up to us to put our human sense to deciphering or not to dechipher what is given,,, In both cases, no one would hold it against anyone eventually.

and ofcourse this data is supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt,,,, covered on a shot glass,,, filled with tequila,,, and a slice of lime... Even I don't fully believe in the list but to most part it has the best on top, and there is nothing quite wrong with THAT order...

Probably Hieki and Jarno are on the list because they were competitive against their team mates during their tenure, while in qualifying conditions. They were those one lap wonders who were good drivers and were able to squeeze more in one lap, then over a course of the race, and its where you end up in the race that leaves a mark behind in a spectators mind, not where you qualified... and we missed their little victories, which faded off..  And probably they were not good overall in race pace.

Fun fact they were both in the same caterham in 2010,,, didn't get much footage together...

Others who are high in the list were consistently equal or ahead of their teammates and that's why they have ended up higher on the list. Mind you, This list also takes into consideration the quality of your team mate into picture.

I'm not trying to defend it,, it is what it is.. whether you belive it or no, you are not completely wrong...

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

any study of this kind is utter waste of time (IMO)

It keeps the interest goin, and people WILL talk about it.  So how is it a waste of time?
While ever the sport is gettin publicity that is a good thing.
Opinions R like noses - everybody has got 1

11 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

It keeps the interest goin, and people WILL talk about it.  So how is it a waste of time?
While ever the sport is gettin publicity that is a good thing.
Opinions R like noses - everybody has got 1

Spreading misinformation, hiding behind false witnesses,  releasing false flags, and manipulating public's opinion seems very normal these days. Not that it is anything recent or new. It's just it has moved from politics into sport arena as well, and some nations and cultures are better at that than others. To tell the truth, I am not surprised that you don't see anything wrong with it. 

12 hours ago, Sakae said:

Not that it is anything recent or new.

Ur right, it isn't.

Spreading misinformation, hiding behind false witnesses,  releasing false flags, and manipulating public's opinion seems very normal these days.

Information is available, and out there to be offered, someone has the information, they will choose to offer it.

HOW one interprets the given information is upto them. Unfortunately, its the sheep that ends up being manipulated into believing that the dog is the boss, the ones who choose to look beyond what meets the eye, are the one who stand a better chance to get the right answer.

It's just it has moved from politics into sport arena as well, and some nations and cultures are better at that than others.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, it has always been that. Humans generally tends to drift towards the wants of their own individual selfish nature, and naturally it seeps into politics, sport, or just about anything else.

Edited by blackpebel

Some people like living in a fantasy bubble that many in F1 media and their fans seem to inhabit. With this list clearly they are on a roll.

17 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Humans generally tends to drift towards the wants of their own individual selfish nature, and naturally it seeps into politics, sport, or just about anything else

indeed as U rightly or wrongly declare that individual human selfish nature naturally seeps into opinions - as expressed by UR opinion

Date 2020.08.22   Time 6:00 (UTC)

Binotto weighed in, “Maybe at the very start still we may see discrepancies, but I think that looking on the next seasons certainly there will be a convergence. Economical budgets are reduced compared to today.

“The cars are simpler, so we will come to a convergence and, yes, it may have more battles, more teams winning,” added the Ferrari team boss.

After so many years of pressure to bring teams closer together, today, almost at the end of era, we have had just three cars on the lead lap in recent race. So, what happened to promise of convergence when era of restrictiveness was launched? Anyone doubts that? Why do you think we had token system? Why do you think there are limits on wind tunnel hours, on design here and there, and many more. Chocking F1 became sport itself in recent years.

For sake of F1 economy and convergence, restrictive rules are in effect for many, many years, and what was was really accomplished, other than unnecessary wasting a lot of money to stay legal, yet competitive in this environment?  As Marchionne said once, with all those (restrictive) rules, we (at Ferrari) haven't saved a single €.

Now we are being served a new promise of convergence.  Forgive me, but I got duped already one too many times. Besides, who said there has to be convergence? Isn't that perhaps just another wrong objective, and making racing interesting actually needs something else? NASCAR has lot of convergence. Is it interesting? Not for me. When they are spreading, they throw a flag, and there you go - new convergence. 

Point is, convergence is not the cure-pill.

I went back to roots of automobile racing (Grand Prix) in France, add Mercedes years soon after, yet there was nothing about convergence. GP racing was a technical competition among car manufacturers, and unfortunately it veered off that path when a used car salesman got involved, and that's where we are today.  

Date 2020.08.24   Time 10:09 (UTC)

Everyone has different expectation from this sport, and what they want to see changed. I am not different. I do not demand 20 different winners in one season. I do not even have a favorite team. I am in to watch a one driver at his work.

As suggested in previous post, I do not take concept of convergence as solution to better racing. There are unmanageable variables involved in the equation what makes one case better than the other one, and we are better off to let nature be nature.

• 20 cars are perhaps too many for me. I have difficulty to follow 4 or 5 in some detail, others just superficially. (16 would be just fine.)
  • 18 race is enough for me. Too much of good stuff is not anymore "good stuff".
  • I like to have sporting regulations in effect which permit teams to field a best car they can, based on ideas, experimentation, and resources they need and have. Very few, if any restrictions on innovation.
  • If I see 2 or 3 cars in contest for podium in some balance without being too predictable, I say,  Eureka, we have converged. We had such time; I was at the track and watched Prost, Senna, and Schumacher in Benetton to fight it off, so, it could be done. (I bit all my nails off, but it was worth it.) 

Is it too much to ask?

spacer.png

6 races into a season, and question on my mind - is it already over for P1, and fight, if we can call it that way, is for crumbs that felt off the table? Let's don't pretend it is anything else but that. 

Prediction that VW will be entering F1 (any moment) is with us for years. Nothing new about it. I will believe it when they sign up. Last tender FiA issued was dutifully ignored by everyone.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Prediction that VW will be entering F1 (any moment) is with us for years. Nothing new about it. I will believe it when they sign up. Last tender FiA issued was dutifully ignored by everyone.

I see Porsche and Audi too. Porsche will be a great advisary to the current Merc, last time they left they were undefeated...

13 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I see Porsche and Audi too. Porsche will be a great advisary to the current Merc, last time they left they were undefeated...

I'am not sure about it. They may have changed their mind, but last time boss wanted 4 cyl. turbo as a racing PU, and that's not what F1 will do. In my understanding at VW boss likes F1, but many others do not. Hard to predict future with this group. Would they buy a team, or start from scratch? It takes a few years to launch a car without ending in embarrassment. In my mind when they will call on Domenicalli or someone like him to update his former study, then we will have some signs there is life in those rumours. (Surely you remember Stefano was hired, I think by Audi, to develop feasibility study for entering F1. Nothing came of it. )

4 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Yeah, I have seen it. This is now his second interview along those lines, but I am not sure what to make of it other than he is not thinking about retirement. How much control he has over this situation is another thing. Maybe that's the reason behind his smile in the photo.

18 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Yeah, I have seen it. This is now his second interview along those lines, but I am not sure what to make of it other than he is not thinking about retirement. How much control he has over this situation is another thing. Maybe that's the reason behind his smile in the photo.

Certainly hope so

Is there anything F1 could learn of the situation Ferrari has found themselves this season? Of course there is. Ferrari needs free hand to work their problems out. No limits on testing, track time, hiring brains, etc. Will they get all what they need? Of course not. As long as there are teams who can profit from Ferrari's misery, there will be no escape for the red team. So they will struggle, patching things here and there, just dark clouds and no sunshine for them.

From a different angle, whilst this could be good for Ferrari's rivals, this may not be that good for the F1 as whole. Ferrari has their following across Italian borders,, and this situation will put people off. This generally is probably true for any team, any time. So, why all this regulatory nonsense?

There is nothing going in the front, tears at the back, and at the end most action seems to be in the middle. I have to admit when after several decades of dreaming, eating, breathing, talking Grand Prix style racing day-in-day-out I walk away from a mid-race in Spa, my beloved track, than I know something is not entirely right. Sense of foul play (favoritism to some teams) at the top is overwhelming and unbearable.

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Is there anything F1 could learn of the situation Ferrari has found themselves this season? Of course there is. Ferrari needs free hand to work their problems out. No limits on testing, track time, hiring brains, etc. Will they get all what they need? Of course not. As long as there are teams who can profit from Ferrari's misery, there will be no escape for the red team. So they will struggle, patching things here and there, just dark clouds and no sunshine for them.

From a different angle, whilst this could be good for Ferrari's rivals, this may not be that good for the F1 as whole. Ferrari has their following across Italian borders,, and this situation will put people off. This generally is probably true for any team, any time. So, why all this regulatory nonsense?

There is nothing going in the front, tears at the back, and at the end most action seems to be in the middle. I have to admit when after several decades of dreaming, eating, breathing, talking Grand Prix style racing day-in-day-out I walk away from a mid-race in Spa, my beloved track, than I know something is not entirely right. Sense of foul play (favoritism to some teams) at the top is overwhelming and unbearable.

This is one sad post 😬

I seriously question IF there IS an issue at Ferrari.
Nobody IS talkin about a fizzy drink, nobody IS talkin about the race winner, in a Mercedes.
Everybody IS talkin about Ferrari - is THIS a strategy ?

Ferrari do NOT have a star driver, like Alonso who commands media attention, or even the ice cream Fin.

Though, Everybody IS STILL talkin about FerrarI.  With it`s up and comin drivers - for the future

Well @lipstick79 we are talking about theee most historic team in F1. They are the talk of the town each time they falter. And By god they falter A LOT.

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

They are the talk of the town each time they falter. And By god they falter A LOT

Is it a COINCIDENCE ?? 

Talk of the town when they falter, currently falterin a LOT 
>So a LOT of the talk of the town.  

U can NOT buy better publicity.  
Their reputation ALREADY sells road cars.  
No design guru available, such as A.Newey. 
>How do they keep their name in the papers? 
Keep people talkin about the brand for exposure reasons?

Date 2020.09.01   Time 12:37 (UTC)

Why? To what purpose? Who is behind such plans? Who benefits?

Teams will then run development tests on racing weekends while fans will pay full gate-price for so called "race"? 

I am too old to understand these kind of rules.

Any team committing fundamental design mistake, similar to Ferrari's predicament this year, will be down for a year? There are certain data only track testing can reveal. I guess Brawn and Co. likes a lot of gambling as engineers will be guessing - red or black?.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.01   Time 12:37 (UTC)

Why? To what purpose? Who is behind such plans? Who benefits?

Teams will then run development tests on racing weekends while fans will pay full gate-price for so called "race"? 

I am too old to understand these kind of rules.

Any team committing fundamental design mistake, similar to Ferrari's predicament this year, will be down for a year? There are certain data only track testing can reveal. I guess Brawn and Co. likes a lot of gambling as engineers will be guessing - red or black?.

Will benefit Merc once again