Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

Just updates relevant to sporting events. Experts in this subject are welcomed to chime in anytime.

Coronavirus: German, US companies sign deal to develop vaccine

Germany's BioNTech is to use its drug development platform alongside Pfizer...

Looks like race is not on the F1 tracks, but in labs for developing a product which could be in high demand everywhere.

STAY SAFE

This is NOT F1 discussion, please keep discussions related to F1 ONLY on this board
Posting HAS been noted for future posts

Explanation why coronavirus has its own corner:

While I do agree that coronavirus is not racing related under normal circumstances, however exception was made in this case, because it is affecting F1 sport in several ways directly. Discussion which races are being cancelled or postponed have been touched upon elsewhere, but it was getting just too muddy. To keep other topics clean and focused, it is for that reason why I have opened this particular one which should serve as depository of comments how is F1 affected by the pandemic. There is no broader intent than that. To note which races are being cancelled, personnel affected, etc. belong in here.

Laboratories around the globe are racing to gain upper hand over the virus, and we hope they will succeed. Problem is, we cannot really say with any certainty, whether there will be any season at all.

Issues with races, new technical and sporting rules, development, etc. can be discussed, if so desired, elsewhere.

I hope my explanation will be accepted in good faith and with understanding as intended.

Thanks

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

This is NOT F1 discussion, please keep discussions related to F1 ONLY on this board
Posting HAS been noted for future posts

It is clearly F1 related and it is going to affect everything from:

1. The racing calendar

2. Number of F1 races run.

3. The Championship.

4. Team productivity.

5. The ability of Ferrari to correct their lackluster car (this is probably helping them).

6. Sponsorship.

7. F1 finances.

8. The funding for some teams.

9. and so forth.

Furthermore, the economic impact is going to drag on for a couple of years. This is an outside factor that is clearly going to have a significant impact on F1.

Thank you for the list Ruslan.  
It CAN affect those things, NOT guaranteed - so CAN a lot of other things that are NOT specifically. the Carona Virus.  

I`m thinkin gettin Pamela Anderson, or some other busty model.    (I`m thinkin Virgin Racing tried, somethin similar ??)
To pose on a F1 car (race launch?) to bring, raise awareness to a race.  
IT WOULD BOOST the career for example, of somebody like Joe Guest (page 3 model).  
Also, a covid-19 distraction, when the sport IS at a low.

I have to admit that I do not understand plans and ongoing actions by F1 management. They are advising teams to take summer vacation now, and then we go wall-to-wall racing weekend after weekend just because in a month pandemic will be all (probably) sorted out. They have a nurse there to save a day who monitors daily news.

Really?

I thought vacation was there for teams to recharge batteries after exhaustive first part of the season. Now I see, obviously I was wrong about it.

Then,

Keeping personnel two weeks in quarantine and then after they get out let them mix with people who potentially might be virus carriers will make all OK?

I say,

F1 over years made all kind of decisions which hurt my head, and today I should be pleased they are really consistent in that, and didn't let me down.

Little bit of light upon this life affecting, and dark subject.

History of similar diseases:

Black plague, Spanish flu, smallpox: All hold lessons for coronavirus

• Wash your hands.
  • Avoid touching your face
  • No, it's not conspiracy by Chinese or Americans how to decrease globe population. History merely repeat itself, the author suggests.

Interesting visit to our past.

French papers are reporting how research into coronavirus is taking shortcuts usually associated with customary methods. For example testing on animals has been bypassed etc. It's understandable why. Economically this is already bigger than what banks and financial sector has done to normal people in 2008.

Race for survival of human race is in full swing.

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

Little bit of light upon this life affecting, and dark subject.

History of similar diseases:

Black plague, Spanish flu, smallpox: All hold lessons for coronavirus

• Wash your hands.
  • Avoid touching your face
  • No, it's not conspiracy by Chinese or Americans how to decrease globe population. History merely repeat itself, the author suggests.

Interesting visit to our past.

$$ Buy bulk toiletpaper to the point where there's none left for everyone else, then sells to friend, foe and neighbours at inflated interest. Supplier gratefully accepts the business, then afterwards promises limited stock to sell in bulk per person, after they been put and pressed in the spotlight with all kinds of media $$

Sorry, just had to throw that one in..

Great Article. Nice Research... I read something similiar few years ago... but 50 million fatalities in Spanish flu, with a one-fith of the world infected.. Staggering

In my area I am now under as many restrictions, that it's increasingly worse than F1 rule book what is or isn't permitted. I cannot leave house without mouth mask, only in certain hours, and only if there is necessity to my outing. In straight line heading to purchase groceries, visit doctor, run business, etc. No more aimless wondering around.

Aim is to decrease number of new cases. Draconian measures are accepted as necessary steps for common good. I receive instructions of measures taken via SMS 2x in 24 hrs directly from local government. Its tighter and tighter.

It's good to have at least one optimist among us who believes there will be a season to salvage.

Extending current conditions into near future, I am failing to envision a single race on continental Europe, which could be considered as safe gathering. Some governments do not permit groups gathering large than 10 personnel anywhere, then there are strict travel restrictions Ingress/Egress, and so on.

Pirelli, FiA, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, AlphaTauri, Haas, RBR, Mercedes and Renault should be advised not travel at all due to living in, or interacting with restricted areas by all, or at least some of its employees. I am not familiar with UK conditions., however F1 has strong international mix of employees everywhere, regardless of its location, including UK (said Wolff).

FiA  SHUT DOWN

In light of the global impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus currently affecting the organisation of FIA Formula One World Championship events, the World Motor Sport Council has approved a change to the 2020 FIA Formula 1 Sporting Regulations, moving the summer shutdown period from July and August to March and April and extending it from 14 to 21 days. All competitors must therefore observe a shutdown period of 21 consecutive days during the months of March and/or April.

The change was supported unanimously by both the F1 Strategy Group and F1 Commission.

May 1 is reserved for Dutch GP on the calendar

however

...the Dutch Grand Prix is preparing to announce it intends to reschedule its race for later in the season.

Just read that the Dutch gp, Spain and Monaco have all been postponed as well. According to Andrew Benson of BBC F1 anyway.

I am wondering of teams will be permitted return to their job in May, or lockdown ("summer shut down") will be extended. Border crossing might be challenge.

Here is interesting story:

How one small Italian town cut coronavirus cases to zero in just a few weeks

Testing and quarantine together sometimes works, vaccine or not?

20 hours ago, Lyria said:

Just read that the Dutch gp, Spain and Monaco have all been postponed as well. According to Andrew Benson of BBC F1 anyway.

Lyria, if my recollection is correct, you used to keep private contacts with number of forum members. May I ask whether you know if Publius is OK? He is not present anymore on this forum, and I have no news from anywhere else about him. His wisdom is missed.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Lyria, if my recollection is correct, you used to keep private contacts with number of forum members. May I ask whether you know if Publius is OK? He is not present anymore on this forum, and I have no news from anywhere else about him. His wisdom is missed.

Thanks

I did email Publius early last week and he told me that things were difficult for him and his family but that at that time he was doing okay. I can't say if that situation has changed since then of course as things are changing fast in his country as they are everywhere. I hope he's still okay and I will advise him that this place would welcome him being here if/when he has the time and inclination to post.

Thank you, Lyria. It was helpful. I cannot hope of course that he would honored us and settled back in here, but once in a while to hear from him on variety of subjects would be a great thing. He is a true racer, whereas I just rooting for a driver, but that's OK. I still find time to read all what he writes here.

Helmut, Helmut... is old age catching up with you?

Dr. Marko is hoping to run 18 GP events this season. I am struggling to understand source of his optimism, but then, the man is not young anymore, is he?

F1 is crazy enough attempt to run a few races, however should they? In my humble opinion, with some hindsight,  this season was over even before it started. We just didn't realize that in time. As someone said, Corona has a leg up on them.

As of this hour, message is clear and the same on all continents - the only cure we have is not to contract the disease in the first place. Stay clean, stay in isolation as much as possible, avoid crowds. There is nothing else right now.

Interesting thought coming up:

Have been mixing with other people at events for centuries, at least - Forever 
Y suddenly have all these virus`,illnesses,diseases ... popped up ?
Where there IS a blame, there IS a claim $$$ 
When there WERE local industries and people DID manual ,hard work people were NOT gettin ill, they were just gettin on with life
people were sweating all over each other down the mines ...

Nothing much in the news, but corona.  Shortages of this and that, and calls for more lockdown. With regret, there are no better news as this week is winding down. Stay in isolation as much as possible seems a word of the day. 

I cannot imagine that a race can proceed, even if so behind closed gates. There are so many activities behind the scene, all of which are contrary to instructions governments are issuing.

In my case, we (specific groups, scheduled per age and profession) are permitted to go out only in certain hours, and only for short time of 2 hours and for essential activities. It's all new to me.

16 hours ago, Lyria said:

I did email Publius early last week and he told me that things were difficult for him and his family but that at that time he was doing okay. I can't say if that situation has changed since then of course as things are changing fast in his country as they are everywhere. I hope he's still okay and I will advise him that this place would welcome him being here if/when he has the time and inclination to post.

Thanks Lyria. Regards, safe and best wishes to him and his family