Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

14 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Wow, what a story. Hope the whole country takes note

I would consider Italy more advanced cultural country than UK and US together, yet in some instances it appears that this is also a society of free, hard to control personalities. (I have some experience with it on my own driving there. :wub: )

Today Italy came under heavy criticism for rather lax approach to containment in some places, especially city of Milan was named, where people continue to congregate, corona or not. That might not be such good thing.

I've mailed Publius and passed on your best wishes guys.

We just got the list from the supermarket of what is not coming on grocery order later this morning, it's truly scary :(

Thank you for your time, Lyria. That's more than I was expecting. BTW, I feel rather ticklish seeing a bear with rating "Rookie Driver".

Back to Publius, if I recall, he conducted business in UK, which is why today I think this corona thing probably messed up his professional work. Traveling today is not what it used to be, but then, undoubtedly, there is still some limited communication via internet. I think he is head strong, and will survive.

Just a quick one to let you know, Publius has replied to my mail. He and his family are doing okay thankfully but he told me he's not going online much, plus there is nothing much to say about F1 right now. He will drop by at some point perhaps though.

I hope that puts your mind at rest. B)

5 minutes ago, Lyria said:

Just a quick one to let you know, Publius has replied to my mail. He and his family are doing okay thankfully but he told me he's not going online much, plus there is nothing much to say about F1 right now. He will drop by at some point perhaps though.

I hope that puts your mind at rest. B)

Good to hear that, thanks again. In his case it is good news mainly because where he lives. Otherwise he is right, nothing much is going on in F1.  

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Good to hear that, thanks again. In his case it is good news mainly because where he lives. Otherwise he is right, nothing much is going on in F1.  

+1

Thank You Lyria

Due to seriousness of the subject, I wish to share with you part of a letter I periodically receive from Dr. Zoë Harcombe Ph.D. (Cambridge), Health, Diet.

Purpose of publishing her work in here is to assist everyone in self-evaluation how you feel, and take appropriate countermeasures if necessary. I would not do this normally, since one needs to be a subscriber to her research in order to read it, but this is for common good.

Posted on 20 March.  

What are the symptoms?

Common symptoms of having a coronavirus included fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulty. A British politician, Nadine Dorries, and a General Practitioner (Family Doctor) and former chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners, Clare Gerada, have recently recovered from COVID-19 in the UK and they have shared their experiences. Nadine is 62 years old and Clare is 60; both are fit and healthy women.

Nadine said that she started feeling “slightly unwell” and soon was experiencing fever, night sweats (to the point of soaking the sheets), sore eyes, a persistent cough (which was dry and unproductive) and every muscle and bone ached. She has been left with a residual cough and the feeling that her lungs have not yet fully recovered (Ref 13).

Clare returned from a conference in New York feeling like she had jet lag. This was soon followed by a temperature of above 102’f (38.9’c) and Clare realised that she had the virus. She spent the next five days in bed with flu-like symptoms – fever, dry cough, sore throat, bad headache, muscular chest pain from coughing (Ref 14). Clare reported a marked loss of appetite and I have seen this reiterated in other accounts from people who have recovered from the virus.

Chris Gough, an Anaesthetist, has had over half a million likes and retweets of his twitter thread detailing what he went through when he got the virus (Ref 15). I found this thread worth bookmarking because Chris detailed what happened on day 1, day 2 etc. Response to the virus will be individual, but this may be useful to look at if you develop symptoms.

The three key symptoms of COVID-19 are reported as fever, cough and shortness of breath (Ref 16). We understand that these can occur between 2-14 days after exposure, based on what has been observed with the MERS Co-V viruses. Most people will feel like they’ve got a particularly nasty dose of flu – for approximately seven days – and then recover. The minority of people – especially those with existing heart disease, respiratory disease, diabetes, hypertension, and/or cancer – develop more serious breathing difficulties and those are the ones advised to contact the emergency services.

RACING CALENDAR (associated cost)

Difficult times.

Exactly.

Every engineering project manager in the automotive industry can predict adversarial impact of planned changes on the racing schedule. Team's internal budget will be wiped out and in red. Frédéric Vasseur is at least honest enough to come clean with his dilemma, and I doubt, he is alone in this mess. Every team will have to more or less to do the same. 

Carey

CAREY: WE DON’T NEED TEAMS’ APPROVAL TO REVISE 2020 CALENDAR

Well lets hope this attitude is not going to haunt him later on.

Re:  CAREY: WE DON’T NEED TEAMS’ APPROVAL TO REVISE 2020 CALENDAR
> But U DO NEED teams, otherwise there will B NO 2020 Calendar

1 minute ago, lipstick79 said:

Re:  CAREY: WE DON’T NEED TEAMS’ APPROVAL TO REVISE 2020 CALENDAR
> But U DO NEED teams, otherwise there will B NO 2020 Calendar

Exactly. Undoubtedly there will come a point in the future when cooperation by teams will be necessary, but people have memory... 

Follett: The result is that rulers and ruled keep fighting senselessly to reciprocal exhaustion.

Adversarial relationship (sort of colonial attitude) goes only so far.

RBR wanted to race in Melbourne?

Opinion

I usually hold Dr. Marko in great respect, but I think he is wrong with his critique. 

...whole coronavirus pandemic is being exaggerated...

IF he is accurately quoted, then in the face of facts, his is just plainly incorrect statement. Global fatality rate is not exaggeration, but sad statistic reflecting our helplessness in effort to kill it immediately. (Knowing little bit about him, I am really surprise to hear a such quote.)

LOCKDOWN CONTINUES (Europe) - update

France, Italy, Germany and a few more countries are on near total lockdown, and chances are, it will grip whole continent the same soon. If Liberty wants to race, they have to do it in US (Texas is also on lockdown, if I am not mistaken) and Canada, or Asia (but where?), and I am not certain what UK government will do. Moreover, I do seriously doubt that every team will be on the grid. Japan is still hopeful, but that can change over night.

In the name of responsible management, the season 2020 should had been declared cancelled IMHO already, and teams should be permitted to focus on next year vehicle, and sorting out administrative matters [commercial, regulatory]. This is all at incredible financial burden, but with global health crisis, priorities are pretty much determined in favor of survival.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, Lyria said:

I've mailed Publius and passed on your best wishes guys.

We just got the list from the supermarket of what is not coming on grocery order later this morning, it's truly scary :(

Hi Lyra - Please take care yourself.

Germany is permitting public gathering only by one-on-one persons. No more. Authorities consider this kind of limitation more effective containment measures over each of us run for isolation. 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Germany is permitting public gathering only by one-on-one persons. No more. Authorities consider this kind of limitation more effective containment measures over each of us run for isolation. 

Geez, very extreme, but they are quite affected

Our economy was already in tatters...  In 2 months our currency has risen from 14.5-15 to almost 18 Rand to the dollar now. Disastrous. Things are going to get even tougher now

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Our economy was already in tatters...  In 2 months our currency has risen from 14.5-15 to almost 18 Rand to the dollar now. Disastrous. Things are going to get even tougher now

...that's a global forecast. Stay calm, and stay healthy, my friend. 

Maybe we can outlast it...if we don't give it chance to replicate...

DW

How long can the virus survive in the air or on surfaces?

Coronaviruses cause respiratory diseases. The virus is mainly transmitted via droplets that are released into the air by coughing or sneezing.

According to Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR), initial laboratory tests show that the novel SARS-CoV-2 can remain infectious "after heavy contamination" for up to three hours in the air, up to four hours on copper surfaces, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two or three days on stainless steel and plastic. 

But the good news is that the virus needs a live host to survive. Without a live host, the virus eventually dies out because it can't copy itself. So while it may survive on some surfaces for hours and even days, over time it becomes less infectious because, without being able to replicate, the virus breaks down over time. 

Furthermore, such studies have examined the survival of the virus in ideal laboratory conditions, not accounting for outside factors — for example, temperature changes and sunlight — that could affect the stability of the virus. 

I am not sure if I got this right, but it looks to me that the Monaco race -- as of this date -- is only venue which is officially confirmed as cancelled.

9 hours ago, radical-one said:

Hi Lyra - Please take care yourself.

9 hours ago, radical-one said:

Hello my sweet, I'm okay thanks. About to eat some chocolate birthday cake (my daughter's birthday) so don't feel to bad for me  ;)

Stay safe radical :)

Carey

The new season will not start until at least June 14 with the Canada GP in Montreal.

Well, maybe so, but plans do change, and this year more often than not.

Well, it is not going to start before then.....and I would be surprised if the Canadians allow this.