Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

I have feeling that North America is heading for one big lockdown, and F1 racing might not be the top priority on their minds.

17 hours ago, Lyria said:

Hello my sweet, I'm okay thanks. About to eat some chocolate birthday cake (my daughter's birthday) so don't feel to bad for me  ;)

Stay safe radical :)

My Fav..along with lemon Cheesecake..yum yum

Italy closed temporarily all non-essential business as a defensive containment measure. That means both teams Ferrari and Alpha Tauri are affected. I am not exactly sure if they can work on the intranet, and how meaningful that work is on current vehicle without being able to use mechanical laboratories. Perhaps some pre-development work on new car down the road can be done, assuming...(a lot of things).

In UK media headlines do suggest some restrictions are in the offing, but I don't know how extensive that measure is.

Liberty and FiA are still considering 15 races this year, says internet. 

Let's consider racing starts in July. Season then will last about 22 weeks. Basic arithmetics suggests there will be a lot of races every weekend. I wonder what teams think about this plan; oh I forgot that Mr. Carey said he doesn't have to ask teams for opinion or consent. 

19 hours ago, Lyria said:

Hello my sweet, I'm okay thanks. About to eat some chocolate birthday cake (my daughter's birthday) so don't feel to bad for me  ;)

Stay safe radical :)

Did someone said free cake ? :P

Happy birthday to your daughter :flashingbanana:

5 hours ago, radical-one said:

F1 would be lucky if they can start racing by August....

Where would that be?

With strong containment number of new cases will incrementally decline, which buys science little bit more time to get upper hand, but until then...no one is safe.

Someone said the other day, people have to behave responsibly, for some of us to survive. I would not consider F1 racing as an essential activity. Season was effectively over for some time. We are only waiting for the official announcement.

Take India for example; reports today speak about a country which continues with life as nothing is going on. How long it will take before spreading to global population jumps again in numbers? 

Evening news: India decided to go on full lockdown, (That's big!) Italy is on down curve.  

The International Olympic Committee (IOC), has confirmed that the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo have been postponed for a year after IOC president Thomas Bach agreed to a request from Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Challenges, challenges, ...

Racing scheduling issues are just growing and multiply.  I actually appreciate management effort to salvage whatever they can of the season 2020, but why not face facts as they starring into your face, and plan for 2021 clean start? I am just hoping they will avoid the same mistakes committed in 2014 and freeze prematurely specs before those are fully tried and evaluated.

From what's written, I am not sure if Haas will be back, and the same with Williams, but that's life, I gather. 

You're lucky, we have to stay 2 metres apart here.

We're supposed to be on lockdown here, someone needs to tell that to the people around here because a lot of them aren't taking it seriously yet. Maybe they will if the police start fining them!

6 hours ago, radical-one said:

Did someone said free cake ? :P

Happy birthday to your daughter :flashingbanana:

Sorry Brad and radical, the cake is all gone now. You weren't here so I had to eat your slices for you, you're welcome ;)

In US social distance is 6 ft. (~1.8 m)

Several European countries deploying drones for monitoring adherence to lockdown. China does the same.

In India and Italy somebody needs to tell espresso-free-spirits to smarten up, go home, and watch TV (alone) instead crowding public spaces.  

My lockdown is now in first extension, and I am permitted to shop for groceries between 0800 - 1000. That's it. Other than that, it has to be an emergency of some kind when I can leave my home. (...and no, I have nothing around my ankle :D ).  BTW I hate getting advisory SMS after I turn in, drowsy, and mobile wakes up.

Italy approved use of drones:

Police in Italy can now use drones to monitor social distancing

Good news?

Things are moving fast, and obviously around the globe biotech companies are working around the clock to have the bug under control. Director of CureVac (Tübingen) thinks that clinical tests start soon, and medication to market, even on fast track, in a year. Maybe someone will be faster, who knows, but this would be really fast. There are two aspects of development, he clarified. Vaccine for prevention, and medication to those who already contracted virus. Company is working on both products. 

I think this is good news. Perhaps government will approve more shortcuts, if that is possible at all. Just knowing that help is under way boosts one resilience to adversity.

I read an interesting (and beutiffuly expressed) article by J. Cook:

...(in) a globalized world our lives are so intertwined that the idea of viewing ourselves as islands – whether as individuals, communities, nations, or a uniquely privileged species – should be understood as evidence of false consciousness. In truth, we were always bound together, part of a miraculous web of life on our planet and, beyond it, stardust in an unfathomably large and complex universe.

Sadly, we need a deadly virus to remind us who we are. His words make one audit and upgrade self consciousness. As always, it is crisis which wakes the best and worst in us. 

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Good news?

Things are moving fast, and obviously around the globe biotech companies are working around the clock to have the bug under control. Director of CureVac (Tübingen) thinks that clinical tests start soon, and medication to market, even on fast track, in a year. Maybe someone will be faster, who knows, but this would be really fast. There are two aspects of development, he clarified. Vaccine for prevention, and medication to those who already contracted virus. Company is working on both products. 

I think this is good news. Perhaps government will approve more shortcuts, if that is possible at all. Just knowing that help is under way boosts one resilience to adversity.

Good News indeed... 1 year vaccine..hmmm..some medic scientist's are going to work sum overtime. I think it's imperative that all of them work together across countries and nations...

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Good News indeed... 1 year vaccine..hmmm..some medic scientist's are going to work sum overtime. I think it's imperative that all of them work together across countries and nations...

I cannot guarantee accuracy of it, but one of the shortcuts considered in that scheme was to bypass (usual) testing on animals.  

Swedish climate activist Thunberg said Tuesday it was "extremely likely" she had contracted the virus after experiencing symptoms following a trip to central Europe.

Greta is a strong young woman, and let's hope that symptoms are a false flag. I really like this "daring fireball" of explosive youth. If I think about future and young people forming it, she is in that picture. I know its not F1 related, but I couldn't resist to mention some distant support for her. Actually I do suspect if it would be up to Greta, she might shut down F1 tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Greta is a strong young woman, and let's hope that symptoms are a false flag. I really like this "daring fireball" of explosive youth. If I think about future and young people forming it, she is in that picture. I know its not F1 related, but I couldn't resist to mention some distant support for her. Actually I do suspect if it would be up to Greta, she might shut down F1 tomorrow.

Not a fan of hers... Unfortunately... for reasons I would rather not say on this forum. Anyway.. hope she did'nt get the virus and good luck with her efforts

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Not a fan of hers... Unfortunately... for reasons I would rather not say on this forum. Anyway.. hope she did'nt get the virus and good luck with her efforts

That's OK. I am not expecting that everyone is found of everyone else. Not a problem for me. Yeah, get well is probably best we can say here. I read somewhere there are many (not sure, is it 16?) types of flu which are of very similar symptoms. So, let's hope its nothing worse than garden variety headache. I am also up and down, but only because during a day temperatures outside shoot high over 12 deg., and then rapidly drop around 0 and below. It suppose to be winter here...

SA goes on lockdown as well, right?

On 3/25/2020 at 1:38 AM, Lyria said:

You're lucky, we have to stay 2 metres apart here.

We're supposed to be on lockdown here, someone needs to tell that to the people around here because a lot of them aren't taking it seriously yet. Maybe they will if the police start fining them!

Sorry Brad and radical, the cake is all gone now. You weren't here so I had to eat your slices for you, you're welcome ;)

no more cake :o 

22 hours ago, Sakae said:

Good news?

Praying for their success !

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

That's OK. I am not expecting that everyone is found of everyone else. Not a problem for me. Yeah, get well is probably best we can say here. I read somewhere there are many (not sure, is it 16?) types of flu which are of very similar symptoms. So, let's hope its nothing worse than garden variety headache. I am also up and down, but only because during a day temperatures outside shoot high over 12 deg., and then rapidly drop around 0 and below. It suppose to be winter here...

SA goes on lockdown as well, right?

Yes, started last night..21 days

2020 / 03 / 26   6:46 (UTC)

Will F1 survive?

It started. That's a question which began popping up by the same people who just a few days ago were planning to go racing in summer.

I have no answer to it. Sure, sport probably will acquire a new form and mutate into something new no one wants to discuss right now. Some teams might fall off for economical reasons, others will pin their hopes for new begging. Mentally we need to be strong and accept that nothing material is forever. (Don's ask me to prove it, please.)

Tier 1 is financially squeezed, Tier 2 teams of F1 are in precarious position. No doubt about it. Hard to say who and when will form a revised grid.

2020 / 03 / 26   9:14 (UTC)

UPDATE ON PROGRESS

Looks like establishment is racing for medical solution. In CZ, MUDr. Soňa Peková, PhD. (holds several academic titles in medicine, molecular biology, and genetics)  seems ready to test product/method-x on humans. She apparently correctly predicted and evaluated potential pandemic effect immediately after first reports were published, therefore she had little bit of jump in focused research over some other institutions. Now she developed simplified approach how to ... ; here I have to end, because I am lacking thorough understanding what exactly she managed to discover/develop, but labs around world asked for permission to collaborate. I do assume that she was successful in simplifying, making results more reliable, shorten time to test results, and make this process less expensive to test population in large numbers. (Currently identification process produces results about in 1 hr). Rapid isolation of patients from others decreases rate of new cases. That's benefit of her research.  Can we declare Step 1 is completed?

So far I understand there are three categories of challenges (more?). Correct identification of COVID-19, having and producing vaccine for prevention, and medical relieve for those who contracted disease. Where is Dr. Pekova with her research in treating patients, I am not sure, but she is intellectually armed to work on the problem with other, just as smart scientist.

I think it is good news, giving us hope that future is not totally lost.

6 hours ago, Sakae said:

2020 / 03 / 26   9:14 (UTC)

UPDATE ON PROGRESS

Looks like establishment is racing for medical solution. In CZ, MUDr. Soňa Peková, PhD. (holds several academic titles in medicine, molecular biology, and genetics)  seems ready to test product/method-x on humans. She apparently correctly predicted and evaluated potential pandemic effect immediately after first reports were published, therefore she had little bit of jump in focused research over some other institutions. Now she developed simplified approach how to ... ; here I have to end, because I am lacking thorough understanding what exactly she managed to discover/develop, but labs around world asked for permission to collaborate. I do assume that she was successful in simplifying, making results more reliable, shorten time to test results, and make this process less expensive to test population in large numbers. (Currently identification process produces results about in 1 hr). Rapid isolation of patients from others decreases rate of new cases. That's benefit of her research.  Can we declare Step 1 is completed?

So far I understand there are three categories of challenges (more?). Correct identification of COVID-19, having and producing vaccine for prevention, and medical relieve for those who contracted disease. Where is Dr. Pekova with her research in treating patients, I am not sure, but she is intellectually armed to work on the problem with other, just as smart scientist.

I think it is good news, giving us hope that future is not totally lost.

in line with above..

https://www.health24.com/Medical/Infectious-diseases/Coronavirus/breakthrough-in-covid-19-research-as-patients-immune-system-fights-coronavirus-scientists-discover-how-this-happens-20200326

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Argument who was first in research was expected, as a lot of money is in stake. I don't really care, as long results are there. I noticed that in some countries researchers claim lead in research by merely announcing they do work on the issue, whereas around here you need to show actually reproducible results first before you can make any such claims. As stated earlier, I take it we have moved process of rapid mass-identification of illness to next stage of research, taming the beast. There are several types Corona viruses; COVID-19 is a new kid on the block. Every day we (lay people) learn something new.

Apparently bug jumped onto humans from bats (latest assumption). Snakes and other fauna was under suspicion, but later research points finger on (cave) bats.