Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

No exceptions!

In hard-hit New York City, even a tiger tests positive for coronavirus

Animal felt ill, and as disease is spreading, some lions got infected as well. In update on their situation, animals are recovering well. Assumption is, that virus jump from ill zoo worker onto tiger, which itself - if assertion is correct - is newsworthy.

Just a general question; if ill person can infect animal, should we go anywhere near in this period a friendly pooch that is begging for little love?

Looks like Japan is also in tights. I was planning trip there this summer, but that's now out of the window, and who knows when we all return to normal, despite some gloomy predictions by political experts, we will never return to old normal, which will be - they predicting - replaced with something else (new normal).

23 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

It IS kind of LOGICAL that animals CAN get, covID19#
The virus ORIGINATES from animals.

Well that's the official line (from a bat to a man), however some scientists are of a view, that there are components of the corona virus that are related to HIV that could not have occurred naturally, which implies (I am inferring), COVID-19 in that case was probably man-made. We have to remember that initially not too many people properly understood dimensions of this new kid. I am not sure if even today all science is well explained. I am not going to bother you with lab basics, but you need to know whole lot about virus before the pill is born. Right now we isolating people to contain spreading, but there is no tablet or injection which would cure.

Life would be boring without world of conspiracies.

46 minutes ago, Sakae said:

which implies (I am inferring), COVID-19 in that case was probably man-made

NOT really takin a WILD stab in the dark there Sakae  
INDEED probably man made, that CAUSED the animal 2 BECOME infected, which in turn started the domino effect. 
The animal got ill passed this on ...  passed this on ...  passed this on ... 

Life would be illogical  without world of conspiracies

2020 / 04 / 07   4:02 (UTC)

Just in general terms, assuming track gate would be remain shut, how realistic would be possible for F1 to obtain an exemption from safety rules by the hosting country? Cluster of people have to get through (now almost empty) airport customs, and work in close proximity with a lot of people on the inside who are involved in the Event directly. From drivers to track marshals, from pit wall engineering to tire changers, etc. Food needs to be brought in, and it will be almost impossible to avoid numerous contacts with locals, etc. This might be easier to be said than done (safely).

No signs of cancelling season yet. Shanghai track may be open to hosting a race in summer, but the issue is, there has to be more than just one track with all races on it.

Date 2020.04.08   Time 6:42 (UTC) DOCTOR SPEAKING

This might be unwelcome news in midst of bad situation, however in my way of thinking sooner reality sinks in, sooner we will be mentally strong enough and prepared to accept life in near future as virus defined for us. American doctor Zeke Emanuel warns that COVID-19 "will be with us" most likely for next 18 months. You can Google for his credentials, but he seems well educated not to be considered a medical quack. No one can predict future accurately, however with his experience in science his is accurate judgement as one can get these days. I've re-defined my daily routine to fit the moment. What F1 will do remains to be seen.

What to take of his position? We will not return to some kind of normality until there is vaccine available to all. He stressed the obvious which was discussed earlier here, namely, getting hand on new cases and even decreasing number merely means, we contained spreading. The moment you stop and ignore safety measures in place, numbers will shot up again in a hurry.

On 07/04/2020 at 5:22 AM, Sakae said:

2020 / 04 / 07   4:02 (UTC)

Shanghai track may be open to hosting a race in summer, but the issue is, there has to be more than just one track with all races on it.

EASE of access for teams and fans ALSO has 2 B a consideration.
Outer Mongolia may B able 2 host a race.  But the teams and fans R limited by travel plans 2 Outer Mongolia

28 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

EASE of access for teams and fans ALSO has 2 B a consideration.
Outer Mongolia may B able 2 host a race.  But the teams and fans R limited by travel plans 2 Outer Mongolia

Date 2020.04.08   Time 7:34 (UTC)

Maybe they would find some way how to qualify track for F1 race, something which would have to be done, but have you consider the rest of it? A lot of support staff has to get together in close proximity to each other for a race to happen. That's exactly type of behaviour which experts are warning us against. You aren't going to find a way how to cheat virus into an innocent game. 

There is something else which is ignored by Nobel price geniuses so abundant in F1 media. When you race, and things go bad, spare parts are needed just so you can field the car next race. Who will make those parts with closed factories? It's not just team's home base, but it affects all their suppliers as well. There are thousands of parts incorporated in that car. How do you get supplies from home base to a race track in time when Brawn and his buddies are planning what seems a race after race every weekend? I am trying to stay realistic and responsive, but all of that makes me sound like one disgruntled old man. 

PU (engines) as well. You have (I think) about 6 or 7 units in different stages of manufacturing, and manpower is allocated in numbers that feed continuity for all teams. If the engine division has about 600 employees, and today skeleton crew of about 70 is keeping lights on, where does this all going with a race after race? Forget about development, just manufacturing at the engineering level they are now.

Date 2020.04.09   Time 7:04 (UTC)

Brawn said it would be credible to have a 18-19 race calendar, if it was possible to start racing in July – with a series of triple headers followed by a weekend off.

No comments on my part. Subject has been discussed exhaustively in previous posts.

Well I just want you to know, we're all going to be okay. How do I know this? Superman was spotted in our town this morning. I kid you not, I saw him run across the end of our road and my daughter had popped out today to get some fresh bread and he smiled then said hello to her. She was very pleased about that B)

So there you go, Superman is on the case, all will be well.

(I wish it were that simple)

2 hours ago, Lyria said:

Well I just want you to know, we're all going to be okay. How do I know this? Superman was spotted in our town this morning. I kid you not, I saw him run across the end of our road and my daughter had popped out today to get some fresh bread and he smiled then said hello to her. She was very pleased about that B)

Well, there are probably going to be more incidences like that the longer people are cooped up. At least he wasn't streaking.

Date 2020.04.10   Time 8:28 (UTC)  WHEN THE RACING SCHEDULE RESUMES?

Also speaking to French sports daily L'Equipe on Thursday, Todt said the FIA would not rush the resumption of the season.

"We will not put anyone in danger to resume a championship," he added.

"We will only resume when we have guarantees that the contamination risk is zero."

1. Racing starts in summer (2020). One headline.

2. We will only resume when we have guarantees that the contamination risk is zero." Todt, president of FiA.

3. Medical experts: Life will be risk free of COVID-19 only when we have the vaccine. (Most likely in Oct 2021 - 18 months or so from now).

Conclusion 

Is left hand aware what right hand is doing? Brawn said yes, our experst and FiA experts are on the top of it. 

Why am I then left confused? Racing behind the close door? As I understand it, following expert's advise is the only thing left for us to do right now, and F1 travel, manufacturing and racing is not on that list as safe activity risk free.

On 09/04/2020 at 6:41 PM, Ruslan said:

Well, there are probably going to be more incidences like that the longer people are cooped up. At least he wasn't streaking.

I live in a really odd town. I swear I'm not drunk and I'm not making this up, the Easter Bunny went by our house this morning on a bicycle. I know, it sounds crazy and we couldn't believe our eyes when we saw him either. It sure made us smile I can tell you and I'm guessing that was the point.

On Thursday when we did our 'clap for the NHS' to show them our appreciation for all they're doing, the guy down the road got his karaoke machine out and gave us a rendition of three songs, including Simply The Best. I've never seen my neighbours out in the street dancing (spaced out appropriately of course), it was s sight to behold I can tell you. 

6 minutes ago, Lyria said:

I live in a really odd town. I swear I'm not drunk and I'm not making this up, the Easter Bunny went by our house this morning on a bicycle. I know, it sounds crazy and we couldn't believe our eyes when we saw him either. It sure made us smile I can tell you and I'm guessing that was the point.

On Thursday when we did our 'clap for the NHS' to show them our appreciation for all they're doing, the guy down the road got his karaoke machine out and gave us a rendition of three songs, including Simply The Best. I've never seen my neighbours out in the street dancing (spaced out appropriately of course), it was s sight to behold I can tell you. 

That is actually kind of cool.

Date 2020.04.13   Time 13:41 (UTC)

In an interview, South Korea's Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha discussed her country’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, which has earned plaudits from around the globe. With around 10,000 coronavirus cases and a little more than 200 deaths to date, South Korea has avoided the high level of fatalities seen in many other countries. However, Kang warned that some patients in South Korea who had been cured of Covid-19 have "tested positive" a few days later. She also confirmed that South Korea would send some 600,000 testing kits to the US.

Pill (cure) and vaccine (prevention) are both needed. Lockdown on life affects temporarily spreading, but final solution is essential, and we don't have it yet. This is reality.

Date 2020.04.15   Time 11:30 (UTC) - Will be there a season? No, says Mosley.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/04/15/mosley-waiting-to-cancel-only-risks-making-things-worse/

Mosley is saying the same now what I've said about a month ago. BTW, being aligned on this issue with two fossils like Ecclestone and Mosley doesn't make me feel good at all. What I am not sure however for what is current management waiting (besides miracle).

Close gate racing? Sounds like a bad joke.

People hurdling at home with friends in the front of TV? Another bad joke for a few reasons. Watching races on laptops? Well, Liberty decided only some countries can have that luxury, but for rest of the world feed is not available, even if you own the best laptop on the market.

Financially it is really heavy hit for many, but people in all walks of life are in the same position, and we will have to carry burden of it when final tally is known.

Problem however is large than money. Doctors have to win first.

Date 2020.04.15   Time 14:05 (UTC) - Little note

So, a race without fans is easy? Read this:

However, he said it was different to staging a football match without fans because of the number of technical staff involved.

The 10 F1 teams each have around 60 people in the paddock on race weekends while F1 staff, plus technical and safety officials as well as media and broadcast personnel, would bring the total attending the race to more than 1,000.

This was mentioned on these pages a week or so ago, but honely, I didn't know it was that many. 1000 people and totally corona free? Hum, hum,  OK.

Accommodating Austrians.

“This must then be considered within the framework of the existing restrictions on entry and exit (into the country),” he said. “I don’t want to anticipate if an exemption will be needed here or there."

Well that's the other this, isn't it?

Date 2020.04.21   Time 9:10 (UTC) TO RACE OR NOT TO RACE

GPBlog

'Formula 1 has a television contract running for 750 million, so if they don't start racing they will have to hand in that amount. That is not an option at all. So they will do everything they can to get started as soon as possible. Let's do it without an audience and then they will hand over part of the money to the organizers''

I am not sure I agree with author of this article.

This is some serious cash, we are talking about. For lawyers among us, couldn't be a case made that is clearly a force majeure issue, therefore original contract needs to be renegotiated on different terms? No one will hand you 750 MM without mounting some defense based on COVID-19 getting into it.

Experts in virology continue to warn against premature disposition of safety rules in fear that virus spreading will flare up again, yet F1 is ready of course to ignore it.

On bright sight, one can read about a lot of vaccines are being already in testing stage, however we are being warned repeatedly (again as late as this morning) that under normal conditions for drug approval for use, we are minimum 12 months from having something on the shelves. Whether shortcuts will be taken in desperation remains to be seen, but one has to remain realistic about current conditions.

Date 2020.04.22   Time 9:48 (UTC) - DEFENSE GAME

DW:

Germany's first human trials of a coronavirus vaccine have been given the green light. It's only the fourth vaccine of its kind in the world to get approval.

GO guys! F1 needs you. Human kind needs you. 

Still, we are on the hook for couple of years, a year at the best.

Date 2020.04.25   Time 5:12 (UTC) - COVID-19 UPDATE

It is tiring to repeat bad news, and forecast doom and gloom, however it seems just as well unwise to ignore facts, as it may come back and bite you in most unwelcome manner.

Medical establishment has now added new page to this virus story, and it is not good. Forecast speaks about second pandemic wave later this year. I do not understand why or how big, but it sounds scary enough.

This begs the obvious and repeated question, whether we should be even thinking about racing. I didn't hear anyone from F1 side considering to scrap the season; on the contrary, some are still talking about 15 races. 

My mind has not changed. I do realize there will be financial impact on F1, it will be bad, and unplanned solutions have to be developed, but better that than the alternative IMO.

Season should be scrapped, car development and specs sorted out, and we all get ready for next year. I am just a fan whose opine here is of course cheap, but moving around with materials and 1000+ personnel doesn't sounds too safe to me. I simply do not believe it is hermetically closed, self contained and therefore protected environment. This is not just group of people being hauled in big tracks. There are people in supply chain, in factories making spare parts, etc. Whole ecosystem seems much different from me going to a grocery store, keeping 2 m distance at the cashier line, and walking home alone in social-space controlled manner. 

Is Austria safe? Well, perhaps, but also maybe so, because they did not do such crazy things up to now like go racing.

I've read about cats being identified to carry the virus; not as a source, but as "patient". 

Situations is difficult enough, why then trying to potentially overload hospitals just because there was this idea that F1 can be different. 

On good side of news - people in labs are on the job 24/7. Grocery stores here do carry the same amount of food so far, no problem yet. (TV just as bad as ever, but that's not news, is it?) 

All what I say is - Thanks guys.

This is really strange time we live in.    

Here IS a thought.  Everybody IS waitin 4 the people in the KNOW - the great medics throughout the world. 
To come up with a cure to STOP covID-19.  The common cold does NOT have a cure yet.
Treatment IS available for the symptoms of,
      sore throat losengers
      Lemsip Max Cold & Flu Capsules

Nothing has been found yet to, cure the common cold.
Y should covID-19 B any different ?

What are you saying? Like with cold or common influenza we should put up with Corona every year (and close country on several months as defensive measure)? It remains to be seen whether we can outlast virus. What I mean si, if we practice social distancing and hoping virus will disappear for lack of new victims as plausible explanation. Is that's a solution? 

F1 seems to think so.

After some time some people would recover, some will not, and some will never get it, yet we hope virus will disappear and never reappear again? That's big jump in hopes.

COVID-19 is 20 - 40x worse than common influenza. (So I read somewhere). 

Thanks, but no thanks. Research should try and try again - just to be sure, we do not need medieval period of devastation to be repeated in 21st century.

Take care.

American Mink

Minks test positive carriers of virus on two Dutch farms. (European)

This is not first time we hear animals are not immune. This is not good news. Dogs, cats, now minks, so who is next?

Date 2020.04.27   Time 9:12 (UTC) - Chase Carey

We’re targeting a start to racing in Europe through July, August and beginning of September, with the first race taking place in Austria on 3-5 July weekend. September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, finishing the season in the Gulf in December with Bahrain before the traditional finale in Abu Dhabi, having completed between 15-18 races.

French GP is most likely off the season calendar. France is one of countries being hit hard by pandemic, and has some common sense not making already bad situation worse.