Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

On 26/04/2020 at 0:04 PM, Sakae said:

COVID-19 is 20 - 40x worse than common influenza. (So I read somewhere). 

U REALLY should read MORE.
There is NO WAY possible for ANYBODY 2 say that.
Worse IS ambiguous.  There is NOT a clear definition for what exactly worse means.
Let me give U any example, worse for whom - the virus or the host ?
What does worse actually mean?

13 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

U REALLY should read MORE.
There is NO WAY possible for ANYBODY 2 say that.
Worse IS ambiguous.  There is NOT a clear definition for what exactly worse means.
Let me give U any example, worse for whom - the virus or the host ?
What does worse actually mean?

Date 2020.04.27   Time 12:24 (UTC)

Read more? Like what? Thanks for advice anyway.

Short answer is - there is a lot of ambiguity in talk about this virus, but that's normal when we are in mess, which is hard to defined.

Longer answer is - cold and influenza can be controlled by medication with some moderate success. We have even preventative measures individuals can take.

COVID-19, in contrast, as far as I am aware, has no medical response yet, and spreading rises exponentially, if let unguarded (like lockdown of infested persons, etc.). From that point  word worse seems quite useful.

Did I answer your question?

I disagree

Technicality 

cold and influenza can be controlled by medication with some moderate success. We have even preventative measures individuals can take.
This part is rather flaky.

The common preventative measures individuals can take.  Are NOT often treating the influenza virus, merely just treating the symptoms of the virus.
The same will probably occur for covID-19.  Likely just treat the symptoms - and everythin will B OK.  Just carry on with life regardless.
Lemsip and soon 2 B covID-19 equivalents.
F1 STILL races with the influenza virus.  The covID-19 will simply require strategies.

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

I disagree

Technicality 

cold and influenza can be controlled by medication with some moderate success. We have even preventative measures individuals can take.
This part is rather flaky.

The common preventative measures individuals can take.  Are NOT often treating the influenza virus, merely just treating the symptoms of the virus.
The same will probably occur for covID-19.  Likely just treat the symptoms - and everythin will B OK.  Just carry on with life regardless.
Lemsip and soon 2 B covID-19 equivalents.
F1 STILL races with the influenza virus.  The covID-19 will simply require strategies.

If you are trying to make me lough, I am sorry to say that, but it's not working. Try harder.

BTW, when was it last time when F1 driver entered a race with influenza and high fever? I think the answer is never, but maybe you know about a case when someone had 39 deg body temp, and was driving 150 - 300 km/hr for couple of hours. 

COVID-19 requires strategies for containing spreading, medicine to prevent infection, and medicine to cure ilness, once you get it. Aims are simple to understand, difficult to implement. F1 is a rogue collection of people who are putting money ahead of well being. That much seems obvious as well. 

Denmark now gave nod to construct undersea tunnel to Germany, so it occurred to me, that perhaps they can add an F1 track to it, and race free of Corona and fans, you know, just to make up distance necessary for a season to count. 

Date 2020.04.30   Time 5:22 (UTC) Mr. Todt

Formula 2?

Not sure what one can say but WOW. I am however Ok with 6 or 8 cars on the track with hope we could be exposed to less whining, probably have less first lap incidents, and all cars could end up a race on the same lap. So, there are some definite advantage in having less cars on the track. 

But - for that, the only budget teams should be constricted by is the internal one imposed by mother ship. Nothing else. Neither FiA or Liberty are competent to determine what teams can or cannot afford.

It is technical competence, and suitable regulations, not low budget, which facilitates overtaking on track.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:00 PM, Sakae said:

COVID-19 requires strategies for containing spreading, medicine to prevent infection, and medicine to cure ilness, once you get it. Aims are simple to understand, difficult to implement. 

Date 2020.05.02   Time 7:07 (UTC) Immunity

Is it too late to start building personal immune system up? For some of us probably, and for rest of us no. I should have added this essential component of our life to the above, yet I forgot, because we take need for immunity for granted. At the end, it maybe the only miracle "pill" which will protect us. Healthy life style might be one of the answers how to get out of this mess we are in today.

Re:  Healthy life style might be one of the answers how to get out of this mess we are in today

> ?  R we REALLY in a mess ?
Do we REALLY want things 2 change ? How do we know that, the change WOULD B 4 the better?

What R we focusing on?
Stay at home, save a life - so that life CAN - stay at home
 somebody didn`t think that through

Life is, the freedom to make choices.  Currently do we live or do we exist?

Freedom is state of mind. Physical freedom is mostly illusory. Brexit people talk about it a lot, without having any understanding what they are talking about. 

I didn't say "stay at home". I don't, however in my daily outings I do exercise certain safety, precautionary measures for respect to others, and I do expect the same in return. It is the strategy of virus containment to least group of people at worst, or none at best.

I think I am living life less noisy than in the past, but return to baseline and reevaluation of life values will not hurt my feelings.

At the end, you can try your own thing, and you might, or might not get away with it. I'am not sure about people you meet, and whether they will be that lucky.

We cannot vaccinate whole universe, that much we can take for granted, but we can be considerate, and those with good immune system, yet carrying virus without actually knowing, may attempt not to spread the beast among those who are not that strong.

If nothing more, then just my (non-binding) opinion.

Re:   I do exercise certain safety, precautionary measures  
>Which IS interesting.
The 2 metre social distancing, praised by many for stopping the spread.
Probably the FIRST thing that WILL B abolished, when the lock down is REMOVED - such IS it`s importance.
We WILL see the, 2 metre territorial bubble reduced gradually - probably FIRST to 1.5 m, then to 1 m.
Followed by a final reduction to, common sense.  Which WILL enable the introduction of crowds of people simultaneously.
Then with this, the fans.  Slowly but surely bringin BACK the sport we ALL LOVE.

You are forgetting that we are still learning about might our little friend possessing. Social distancing is one experimental measure, another is crowding limit, and there are some others. Nothing as definite truth is yet chiseled in the stone.

BTW, if we need separation, then the distance is either 1,5 - 2 m, or there is no need for it. There is no incremental "get together". We follow advice afforded to us by experts, but we are aware that not all advices might be effective, so we try this, or try that, and so on. I wear outside mouth covering mask, because it is mandated by law in my area - for now. Is mask protecting me? Well, maybe, maybe not. That's one of those things. Learning process continues. 

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Is mask protecting me? Well, maybe, maybe not

The mask is probably the most pointless - let`s sell a product solution.
Circulating UR own air, reinfecting U with UR own germs.  Keeping the bacteria cycle goin.
How many governments HAVE made it obligatory - even now having reached a peak in my country (UK).  It is on a downward slope.
The end is just the beginnin - once the virus becomes less of a threat and more manageable.
The liftin of the lockdown will simply start the rebuilding of society and with the sport of F1

Count of people in any group (ill, healthy, etc.) is suspect and I would not see it as a reliable guide to go racing.

1. The count should be theoretically in decline, because of separation of ill from healthy population. Removing such safeguards might U-turn the trend.

2. We do not know how many people are infected, because we did not reliably test whole population. We know of cases, when seemingly recovered person contracted illnes second time.

3. Certain test results are suspect. I've read just this week that two tests on the same person in the same time frame with swipes taken in two different body locations produced positive/negative results. So, which is it?

I risk sounding boringly like an old record player, but I think we are ready to being learn how to live next to COVID-19 side by side and survive, but I doubt we are ready to go racing yet. 

Date 2020.05.05   Time 19:38 (UTC)

It appears that UK might be leading country of Europe with highest fatalities due to corona virus. Totally out of control. Worse than Italy. (How numbers are generated is another matter. It's bad one way or another.)

Is Silverstone still a safe destination for F1 crowd? I know they want to have a race, but should they get it? They wanted freedom, then they should get 22 races at Silverstone. I couldn't care less, but don't do it here on European continent.

People from UK will travel across La Manche, potentially infected (not everyone is aware of being a carrier), and since I am occasionally in the vicinity of the race area, thus I am having tangible interest in my own, my family and friends safety. I am actually pretty pi***d having those people coming here. I am not interested whether Brawn will test someone 100x every 2 days. Testing is imperfect and any uuppps later on is simply too late. This area is relatively infection free for now, and only people in paddock will be tested. Problem is, while they are in transit, if infected, what about rest of us? Virus gets everywhere.

I am hoping someone will take a legal action against government, RBR and Liberty for this. Word for teams - stay out please. You are not welcomed.

(DW) Meanwhile, hopefully on path to open for business the "proper" way. (My turn - next Monday). A lot of restrictions still in place, as they should be. We are getting slowly to "new normal", but it's all hit and miss process. Life has to go on, and return to basics, like having haircut, seems good way to start. Social distancing and controlled crowding (way people are allowed to enter common place) remains a way to move around. In Pharmacy - just 2 persons can get in, while others wait outside, spread apart, etc. It's still weird, but not as much as in the past when it all started. 

US closed their borders. Continental Europe should too think twice before our borders get to open perhaps for different reasons, but we are not ready for second wave of pandemic, having not recovered fully yet from the first hit. It's far from over.

Man wearing a face mask

Date 2020.05.07   Time 6:50 (UTC) - LIFE OF TRIALS

Kanzlerin Angela Merkel decided to relax, while holding a foot on brake if the empirical step forward should backfire. Yes, she allowed German football league to open a season, but there is big BUT...

How does this differ from F1? Well, it does enormously.

- Football players in this scenario will not travel internationally (my understanding). F1 does, and with some individuals from heavily infected areas.

- Germany managed well initial containment of virus spreading, in contrast to some other nations.

- Germany likes this game, and is lukewarm to Hamilton (Brit, living and playing anywhere but UK, despite wrapping himself with flag when he needs good press) driving for Mercedes located in UK. Being a German firm is apparently not enough to warm up enough hearts in motherland.

- There is that notion of rapid pull back (that foot on the pedal), should number of infections spike re-appear. 

Would F1 do the same? I am not convinced they would. German football league is in a way badly needed relaxation for nation's strenuous times we experienced in past a few months, whereas F1 is doing it more or less for themselves with stated aim not to "go belly up". I haven't heard anything about foot on any pedal to stop the show. On the contrary, they are willing to go forward even if there is someone found infected, said Mr. Brawn. There will not be repeat what happened in Melbourne.  

Sure, we live in interesting times when we are learning the hard way about those who can lead, separating them from ideological pretenders. Now, should German league be promoted to sainthood? Definitely not. They like money as much as F1, you and I do. They are just with us every week, not once a year in some fuzzy weekend (mostly British agenda on the microphone), and we just like Bundesliga more, closer to home, close to our hearts, and that's not bad.

Date 2020.05.08   Time 3:55 (UTC)

BBC:

Formula 1 chairman Chase Carey has admitted that the sport's owners are preparing for "the remote possibility of no racing in 2020".

Sad and sort of surprising after all that hurray - lets go!. After decades living with the sport this is not what I wish for, but it might be unavoidable and only sensible solution in current situation. At least they are thinking about it. Change of mind, if genuine, is probably rooted in logistical problems with traveling circus, rather than wholly medical (as it should be IMO). Perhaps they have run out of tracks open to them, then hassle to protect people on the inside and on the move is one big deal. Well, it is still just a thought, and not much more. Trouble is, come Feb 2021, this might not be over by any means even in most optimistic outlooks. Finances will be ravaged, no doubt about it, and this will be next hot topic in headlines. Borrowing money to survive is decision teams need to make for themselves, but I would not do it, and stepped back from the sport instead. That however is not thinking known with people comfortable living in FIRE sector.

Horse race started today in Japan without spectators but just betting online and shown live on TV.

It worked well for everyone watching TV and betting online, I watched a few races and I had so much fun !

F1 should do the same model soon. :beer22:

For me the relaxation from high restriction of movement to just nearby grocery store begins on Monday with visit to:

- 0800 Dentist, six months preventative checkup (actually trip across town).

- 1100 Haircut (first one in two months); lady hovering over me is sensationally beautiful and worth the trip, if nothing else.

- 1200 Back to the cage (home).

Exiting, isn't it?

F1? I am not ready to agree with you radical-san. Most F1 actors would be traveling to Austria from places I don't trust at all (on basis they do not deserve my trust). I am simply not convinced F1 is comparable to your local horse racing, because it is covering areas with different laws. There is nothing trustworthy there will not be a second pandemic attack. It's not over yet. Experiment with life under new normal continues. (I am not an Austrian, but whole continent is our playground, and people do travel from all over. Its over 450 MM of us here.)

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

For me the relaxation from high restriction of movement to just nearby grocery store begins on Monday with visit to:

- 0800 Dentist, six months preventative checkup (actually trip across town).

- 1100 Haircut (first one in two months); lady hovering over me is sensationally beautiful and worth the trip, if nothing else.

- 1200 Back to the cage (home).

Exiting, isn't it?

F1? I am not ready to agree with you radical-san. Most F1 actors would be traveling to Austria from places I don't trust at all (on basis they do not deserve my trust). I am simply not convinced F1 is comparable to your local horse racing, because it is covering areas with different laws. There is nothing trustworthy there will not be a second pandemic attack. It's not over yet. Experiment with life under new normal continues. (I am not an Austrian, but whole continent is our playground, and people do travel from all over. Its over 450 MM of us here.)

Soudane @Sakae san F1 is chigao. also we have this covid19 medicine called Avigan and Japan started to use it since 2 weeks ago that's why we have like hundreds of cured

cases daily over the past few days. In fact yesterday we had 2,220 cases recovered in a day! Avigan is being shipped in over 30 countries worldwide from this month - for FREE !

We are a nice country....

5 hours ago, radical-one said:

We are a nice country....

My appreciation of culturally stimulating refinements Japan has to offer is boundless. :)

...but

There are some unresolved questions about universal application of Avigan, and that's where we are.

27 minutes ago, Sakae said:

My appreciation of culturally stimulating refinements Japan has to offer is boundless. :)

...but

There are some unresolved questions about universal application of Avigan, and that's where we are.

Still is a breakthrough.

8 hours ago, radical-one said:

Still is a breakthrough.

Yes, Avigan seems positive development and a step forward. I am not really qualified to comment on its significance, however from laymen's point of view it sounds music to our ears. Any piece of news on finding ways to make us healthier is good news.

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

Yes, Avigan seems positive development and a step forward. I am not really qualified to comment on its significance, however from laymen's point of view it sounds music to our ears. Any piece of news on finding ways to make us healthier is good news.

You haven't given up your fight against CCP virus have you Sakae? It's just a virus, we are human, we will prevail by the help of God almighty !

F1 CEO Chase Carey provides an update to fans on the latest developments on the 2020 F1 calendar, including a target start date and location…

Although this morning it was announced that the French Grand Prix, due to take place in late June, will not be going ahead, we are now increasingly confident with the progress of our plans to begin our season this summer.

We’re targeting a start to racing in Europe through July, August and beginning of September, with the first race taking place in Austria on 3-5 July weekend. September, October and November, would see us race in Eurasia, Asia and the Americas, finishing the season in the Gulf in December with Bahrain before the traditional finale in Abu Dhabi, having completed between 15-18 races.

We will publish our finalised calendar as soon as we possibly can.

We expect the early races to be without fans but hope fans will be part of our events as we move further into the schedule. We still have to work out many issues like the procedures for the teams and our other partners to enter and operate in each country.

The health and safety of all involved will continue to be priority one and we will only go forward if we are confident we have reliable procedures to address both risks and possible issues.

Date 2020.05.12   Time 3:27 (UTC)

I have not given up on protecting self and family within means available to me. Problem is, our well being is not dependent on us only. It takes one person (carrier), and we all take a step back with some consequences. I am probably more optimistic than I project myself in here, however I am also a cautious realist. F1 racing under current conditions, sadly, is not my priority.

With testing it's a funny thing. You can test and test, and you are negative every time, until you are suddenly positive. Tests aren't that reliable. Avigan seems promising pill, fact however is, it is not do-all pill. My sister has unfortunately weak immune system. Avigan from my understanding about its effectiveness would not help her should she contract virus.

Then there are environmental issues which aren't exactly supportive of good health. We had 25 deg temperatures less than 24 hrs ago, now it is 4 deg. Not everyone can cope well with such temp. fluctuations. Our bodies have enough problems to fight even without Corona virus, and despite all Carey's assurances, the only way he can keep us in here safe is for him and his crowd to stay put.