Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

COVID-19 and its effect upon F1

2020 / 03 / 28   14:42 (UTC)

CALENDAR w 15 races

Reality check: as of today, in average, F1 would have to run every fortnight one event until New Year to complete 15 races this year. Is it possible?

Consider:

• Logistics.
  • Local health related restrictions.
  • Driver's stress (bloodshot eyes, etc.)
  • Who will watch it....?

Again, wouldn't be better to write this season off, and prepare for future instead? Plant managers probably facing the greatest challenge from them all, considering:

1. Demands for staff reduction due to budgetary restrictions.
  2. Keeping selected staff interested at home, with only skeleton crew working to keep lights on.

2020 / 03 / 28   17:03 (UTC)

Update - almost impossible to write something short which makes sense. I read a few articles with heavy scientific slant, and at the end was exhausted by avalanche of contradictory data and information, and without sensible conclusion. The subject is not my speciality.

There is no doubt that scientific community is heavily invested in this issue and analyses of data are in abundance. Problem is in making sense from data collected by people who are experts in these subjects. To confuse rest of us mass media are accused of spreading misinformation, and making situation worse than it is. There are of course numerous conspiratorial theories, just as others - it's not as bad as it looks like, and certainly not worse than mortality from other Corona viruses (there are a few of those). 

I am very much in doubt, there is global unified effort to end it, leaving me with feeling that some people among us are morally bankrupt individuals. Aim to find solution is in conflict with business interest to make money.

I am therefore left with feeling best I can do is probably to sit back and wait until someone tells me, it's over, breath again.

On the BBC F1 site they're running a story that says Helmut Marko suggested that during the hiatus 'all the Red Bull drivers and reserve drivers should get together and get the virus, then when this is over and the season begins again they'd be fit and raring to go'. Can you think of anything more ridiculous? His argument was, they're all fit young men, they should be fine. He was literally asking them to risk their lives for sport. Seemingly fit and healthy young people can still die of this virus, it's happened unfortunately.

Apparently the rest of the team didn't share his enthusiasm for doing that and it was shelved. So should he be after suggesting something like that I'd say. What is wrong with him?

1 hour ago, Lyria said:

On the BBC F1 site they're running a story that says Helmut Marko suggested that during the hiatus 'all the Red Bull drivers and reserve drivers should get together and get the virus, then when this is over and the season begins again they'd be fit and raring to go'. Can you think of anything more ridiculous? His argument was, they're all fit young men, they should be fine. He was literally asking them to risk their lives for sport. Seemingly fit and healthy young people can still die of this virus, it's happened unfortunately.

Apparently the rest of the team didn't share his enthusiasm for doing that and it was shelved. So should he be after suggesting something like that I'd say. What is wrong with him?

That's just... dangerous and pathetic!

It is possible there is somewhere honest misunderstanding. In the past I have detected numerous erroneous interpretation what Michael Schumacher said, and what was reported, and I am wondering if this is not similar situation in this case. Dr. Marko is not well liked by some media, and slight slip of tongue will count against him. The man is well educated and he is not an idiot. Who knows what really happened, and in what context that discussion has taken place. There is a man working for BBC on F1 side, and I find painful to read some of his articles.

I should add, there is theory of building resistance to the virus, however I am not qualified to explain how that darn things works.

One problem gets attention, and another undesirable issue pops up.

German criminal and constitutional law expert Dr. Jessica Hamed argues that measures such as general curfews and contact bans are a massive and disproportionate encroachment on fundamental rights of freedom and are therefore presumably „all illegal“.

Hard to say what to do, however:

Cool hand at work.

Inevitable question is to ask whether our world is life of endless manipulation...

"Liberty Media expects a loss of 200 to 300 million in revenues.

Wow, if true, it will soon add up some real money.

They're quoting Helmut Marko as saying he said that to the drivers. Here's the link, I'm not sure if you can read it in other countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905

It was an insane idea, dangerous too. What was he thinking? I mean was he even thinking at all?

I read the article, and I have a different interpretation of it.

First of all, I think the headline is a clickbait, and misleading IMHO.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come". "They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.

Quote is a snapshot from large context, that's what I see. It is selectively isolated with quote marks. Yes, in isolation it sounds like insane idea, however I am missing his suggestion that they should get purposely infected. What I sense he said, that IF a driver or drivers should contract it, they should be together in isolation and after some short period they will get out of it, and (by implication) IMMUNE to second wave, ready to race.  

There I might disagree with him, since I am not sure whether people who survived illness will be in the clear for good. He must have some information which I don't have. He is taking it as some kind of flu in a camp...

Anyway, that is how I am looking at this article. 

2020 / 03 / 31   15:57 (UTC)

RBR

There seems to be more to "Marko" story...says Dutch scientist.

I understand Marko's thinking about making his riders immune, but it's not that easy with the coronavirus. Young and fit people can also die from this disease,'' says De Boer to De Limburger.

Yes, the idea seems quite offbeat for rest of us on the outside of science. I am continuing however my doubts there will be any season this year, especially when I am reading about social distancing will stay in effect for another 6+ months. No need for risky projects involving health hazards.

2020 / 04 / 01   6:13 (UTC)

IDLE CONVERSATION

Messages we receive from talking heads, I admit, confuse me since on many aspects experts do talk over each other's head. It has been said that surviver of the disease builds enough antibodies to stay immune for next attack, yet in China cases were reported about people got sick twice. Moreover, how long such immunity last? No one knows. Then there were some concerns that lungs might recover only partly. If that is true, than drivers should stay govern by rules of their residence, until advised otherwise. (Sorry, Helmut.)

Looks like we are only learning as we go, and there is much we don't know as yet. It will take a while before it's over. Political leaders might not be able to solve the crisis by decree, however surely they can provide for conditions not making matters worse, and letting experts to work on it unobstructed by societal rigidity.

Basic supplies - all good and normal for now where I live.

2020 / 04 / 01   6:41 (UTC)

AUSSIE APPROACH

An Australian allegedly caught driving a Lamborghini at nearly twice the speed limit in Sydney claimed he was rushing to hospital to be tested for coronavirus, police said Wednesday.

The man was undergoing mandatory self-isolation after being pulled over for allegedly driving 160 kilometres (100 miles) per hour in a 90 km/h zone on Monday.

That's one way how to fight mental depression. My guess is it had to be a disgruntled fan who missed the F1 race at Melbourne, so he was making up for it. Nothing better like people on crosswalks starring at ther phones only to have bypassing flying Lambo refreshing them with air blast.

In Canada (Toronto) -- a few years back - on 404 police caught up with one of their own in Ferrari speeding over 300 km/h in 100 km zone. The driver explained that since he was on special assignment, he was merely training to be prepared when his time to act comes. I was amused (since I was taking the same motorway). 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:47 AM, Sakae said:

I read the article, and I have a different interpretation of it.

First of all, I think the headline is a clickbait, and misleading IMHO.

Quote is a snapshot from large context, that's what I see. It is selectively isolated with quote marks. Yes, in isolation it sounds like insane idea, however I am missing his suggestion that they should get purposely infected. What I sense he said, that IF a driver or drivers should contract it, they should be together in isolation and after some short period they will get out of it, and (by implication) IMMUNE to second wave, ready to race.  

There I might disagree with him, since I am not sure whether people who survived illness will be in the clear for good. He must have some information which I don't have. He is taking it as some kind of flu in a camp...

Anyway, that is how I am looking at this article. 

Clarification - well he had to do it; media hysteria went into overdrive (since they have nothing better to do)

2020 / 04 / 02   3:16 (UTC) - COVID 19

Mix of international news suggests a lot of misinformation, deliberate or from lack of understanding, is placed into media channels. One would assume in current situation this is not what global community of nations needs. There is willingness on part of some political leaders to get together and form unified approach to fight pandemic, but I remain skeptical whether that's enough. This time this is not just this or that country (in war), it looks like virus is everywhere, and it will stay with us until effective method how to fight it is found.

Heads of four states suggested several key objectives in coordinated and cooperative global response to the crisis. I am however curious, why it has to be only four of them, and where is WHO in this effort? World needs desperately some good news. People are social animals, and we can live in isolation only for so long, before we fall into depression.

Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo said something which caught my attention, paraphrasing, we will never return to former NORMAL; we will come back to new NORMAL. Beats me what that new normal is, frightening as it sounds. Fact is, most people actually do not like change, and it remains to be seen impact of all of this on post-covid 19 era.  US is reporting their aircraft carrier recorded (I think 98) cases of infected sailors (out of about 4800). Stationed in the middle of Pacific, it is not clear where is point of infliction, but it would be good to understand it, because implications could be serious.

It's time for some good news, really good news. We need those.

2020 / 04 / 03   8:32 (UTC)

SILVERSTONE

Track is offering to hold multiple races. My question is, who are those people? Are they following news at all?

A few words from World Economic Forum:

The UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has tested positive for COVID-19, outlined the strictest measures for the country yet on 23 March, which amounted to a partial lockdown. He said people could only leave home to buy essential food and medicine, to exercise once a day, and travel to work where "absolutely necessary".

He banned public gatherings of more than two people and ordered the immediate closure of shops selling non-essential goods. The new measures came at the end of the first day of school closures, as many parents were coming to terms with homeschooling.

etc.

As I've admitted, I am not a medical professional, thus mine is just layman's interpretation of declared state of pandemic and its effects, as all information is available in public domain. It has been said recently, that once infected, there is no full recovery for life. There is nothing much to be said about that, if you want to race and take risk that young guys with families get infected.

There is the constant preoccupancy how many, if any, people fill stands, however I am yet to read any concern about those who do travel long distances and work together side by side. Trackers in logistics, race drivers, officials, engineers, track stewards, and many more. This is not just about a fan regardless how much money is involved. It is about TV crew as well. If one takes into consideration how many people have to work to execute a racing weekend, how much risk is there, then I say - the season 2020 is lost.

•  

2020 / 04 / 04   18:48 (UTC) 

Ecclestone says 2020 F1 championship should be cancelled

A minimum of eight races are required for the championship to be valid, but former F1 chief executive Ecclestone believes that will not be possible.

Well, this guy is something else. Kid on the way, and he still speaks sense (at least on this occasion). Like him or hate him, he is possessing certain qualities worth emulating. No wonder he gets alone with Seb. (...or is it the other way around?)

16 hours ago, Sakae said:

A minimum of eight races are required for the championship to be valid, but former F1 chief executive Ecclestone believes that will not be possible.

> UNTRUE
This COULD B possible
ALL it requires IS a BOLD and BRAVE decision by somebody.  Like for example (a bit late now) somebody outside of Europe, Vietnam.

A track with NO PREVIOUS affiliation with F1. 
The FIRST Grand Prix WILL have a domino effect, the OTHERS will soon fall in 2 place.
Tracks WILL B fighting over getting a slot on the 2020 calendar

The 2020 season WILL B a season, everybody REMEMBERS

Just because something is possible, it doesn't follow it should be done. Some peoples are merely calculating days, others are calculating days together with overall consideration of efforts which are associated with logistics, and corresponding activities. Of course I do not know what Liberty and FiA will do, however I think I have an idea what would be right thing to do, namely, announce cancellation of this season with expressed hope, we will meet again next year in good health.

56 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Just because something is possible, it doesn't follow it should be done.

I am NOT referring 2 WHIPPIN UR ar$e here.
ALL F1 teams are in F1 to win, there CAN only B 1 winner - that does NOT STOP the other teams takin part.
See sponsors logo`s ON display 2 the world.
Rememberin when Bernie WERE involved, it were about puttin on a SHOW.  Bernie NOW has other show`s that he IS about 2 become involved in.

23 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

I am NOT referring 2 WHIPPIN UR ar$e here.
ALL F1 teams are in F1 to win, there CAN only B 1 winner - that does NOT STOP the other teams takin part.
See sponsors logo`s ON display 2 the world.
Rememberin when Bernie WERE involved, it were about puttin on a SHOW.  Bernie NOW has other show`s that he IS about 2 become involved in.

l think we are talking over each other's shoulder. I am not sure that I understand what your point is, but Ecclestone is suggesting to turn lights off for this year (and so do I). Before Liberty took over, when he was at the helm, he would have probably turned lights off already, and for good reason.

Think of it this way - should racing start now, and there would be fatality only because some logo want to be on display, imagine that PR disaster that would follow.

7 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Think of it this way - should racing start now, and there would be fatality only because some logo want to be on display, imagine that PR disaster that would follow.

But it WOULD sell a few MORE cans of a fizzy drink (Red Bull).

F1 THIS SEASON (2020) is GOIN the SAME way as Virgin Cola.
A LOT of hype, Pamela Anderson for the launch.  
NOW turnin into a dribble.

Flip THAT coin, what IF there were NOT a fatality.
The LOGO`s on display WILL B the WINNERS - Can NOT buy exposure like THAT.
The 2020 season COULD become a marketin DREAM

7 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

But it WOULD sell a few MORE cans of a fizzy drink (Red Bull).

F1 THIS SEASON (2020) is GOIN the SAME way as Virgin Cola.
A LOT of hype, Pamela Anderson for the launch.  
NOW turnin into a dribble.

Flip THAT coin, what IF there were NOT a fatality.
The LOGO`s on display WILL B the WINNERS - Can NOT buy exposure like THAT.
The 2020 season COULD become a marketin DREAM

Err, how many Rd Bull cans is Vertsappen's life worth? I am sorry for putting it so crudely, but that's what you are suggesting, don't you?

You pull stunt like that, and company might never recover from it.

22 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Err, how many Rd Bull cans is Vertsappen's life worth?

These R the BEST drivers in the WORLD.
Product Placement

productPlacementJpg.jpg

2020 / 04 / 06   10:04 (UTC)

Until next time 

All the best – Zoë

Test sensitivity and specificity

There are two key attributes of a medical test – test sensitivity and test specificity. They apply to any medical test that aims to diagnose if a person has a condition or not (e.g. cancer screening).

1) Test sensitivity is the ability of a test to correctly identify those with the disease. (The true positive).

2) Test specificity is the ability of a test to correctly identify those without the disease. (The true negative).

In conclusion

“Test, test, test” is the right strategy in principle, but, in practice, test limitations need to be accounted for. Governments and medical advisors are being attacked for not testing enough, while little is being said about the limitations of those tests.

..our learning process continues.