Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Event 09 Canada

Original race scheduled on June 14. 

Will be probably cancelled or postponed.

Later developments will be confirmed as they are available.

Current news: Canada is pulling out from the Olympic games in Japan 2020.  Is GP next one?

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Original race scheduled on June 14 seems to be under consideration. Later developments will be confirmed as they are available.

Current news: Canada is pulling out from the Olympic games in Japan 2020.  Is GP next one?

Uhm, I think that's a knee-jerk reaction... I hear news they might postpone Olympic Games... Lets see what Japan decides...

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Uhm, I think that's a knee-jerk reaction... I hear news they might postpone Olympic Games... Lets see what Japan decides...

Postponement implies there will be a solution found how to tame corona. I do not own a crystal ball, but that's not what I am hearing from medical establishment (unfortunately). In fact now I am learning Australia, like Canada decided the same. But hey, if there is an acceptable solution, then lets go for it. 

6 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Postponement implies there will be a solution found how to tame corona. I do not own a crystal ball, but that's not what I am hearing from medical establishment (unfortunately). In fact now I am learning Australia, like Canada decided the same. But hey, if there is an acceptable solution, then lets go for it. 

+1

Montreal promoter declared Canadian track among top three favorites in F1 racing. That's news to me.

Quick Google-search revealed other list:

Here are the top 10 circuits that we think every F1 fan should see.
  • Albert Park, Australian Grand Prix. ... 
  • Monaco Grand Prix. ... 
  • Marina Bay, Singapore Grand Prix. ... 
  • Monza, Italian Grand Prix. ... 
  • Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Mexican Grand Prix. ... 
  • Silverstone, British Grand Prix. ... 
  • Red Bull Ring, Austrian Grand Prix.

Looks like human race is rich on opinions. My top five among those on calendar are in no particular order:

• Spa.
  • Suzuka.
  • Singapore.
  • Monza.
  • Catalunya / maybe Sepang / could be Paul Ricard - it's toss on my list

2020 / 04 / 07   6:52 (UTC)

The 2020 Formula 1 season is yet to get underway with Canada mooted as the opening race but a decision on that is expected later this week.

We wait, but admittedly I do not understand the delay of announcement one way or another. Looks like there is no unanimity in decision circles about what to do and special permit will be probably required to get this experiment on the road. Montreal is in area with dense population, and they have their own issues. F1 would just add to it.

There is light side to it - diversion such as a sport event probably could easy PTSD effects.

Date 2020.04.07   Time 17:14 (UTC) - Commentary

Patrick Carpentier suggested for F1 to shelve the race in Montreal, unless Ferrari can race. He said if F1 had will to do so in Melbourne on behalf McLaren after they withdrew from a race, it would be only fair if Ferrari received the same honorable treatment.

I do agree with Patrick on that. I "almost" met him on two occasions. Once in Canada, and second time in US, standing close to him in proximity of about 2 meters. He seems to be one of the good fellows.

Date 2020.04.07   Time 19:28 (UTC) - RACE IS POSTPONED (indefinitely)

Francois Dumontier, President and CEO Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix, added: "I am proud to see how such wonderful initiatives and technical advancements stemming from Formula 1 are being applied in a time of crisis. At the moment it is crucial that all of our energies be put together to overcome COVID-19. We will welcome you with open arms t Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so."

As expected, i must say.