Clicky

Sakae

Events 1 (Initially 11) + 1 in Austria

Date 2020.04.17   Time 11:51 (UTC)

Racing season starts here?

GP247 headline:

"F1 2020 season starts on 5th of July in Austria"

So they say.

Try to think about it this way; US (and now French too) aircraft carrier sitting somewhere on high seas, with very controlled ingress access (incoming material and occasional visitors), yet sailors on the ship contracted virus in significant numbers.

Here F1 will tell us, that 1000 people behind closed gate on race track will be safe? Shut door will do it? That's it? I am amazed how stupid they are taking us for.

All financial transactions are private, and known to handful people gathered usually in one room, and they aren't talking.

Austria is one of a half-dozen or so countries in the world where the number of cases of coronavirus have started to flat-line. Not sure if I can post a graph:

Austria - as of 4/17/20

Apparently I don't how to post the graph, but if you click on the link above, you can scroll down the left hand column to Austria (14K+ cases) click on Austria, and then you will see a graph of the number of cases in the lower right hand corner. If you click on the tabs below the graph it will show the number of cases per day.

So they have brought the number of new cases each day to around a 100 or so, and if it keeps declining, they will can certainly host a no audience race on 5 July.

Edited by Ruslan

5 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Austria is one of a half-dozen or so countries in the world where the number of cases of coronavirus have started to flat-line. Not sure if I can post a graph:

Austria - as of 4/17/20

Apparently I don't how to post the graph, but if you click on the link above, you can scroll down the left hand column to Austria (14K+ cases) click on Austria, and then you will see a graph of the number of cases in the lower right hand corner. If you click on the tabs below the graph it will show the number of cases per day.

So they have brought the number of new cases each day to around a 100 or so, and if it keeps declining, they will can certainly host a no audience race on 5 July.

Stats for Austria (just as for many EU countries) need to be qualified. Rates quoted are not achieved by some miracle, or because Corona doesn't like Austrian blood, but it is result following sensible preventative measures of rapid containment issued in proper time. Gathering 1000 people in close area is not one of those. If this experiment goes awry, government will take probably a fall for allowing race to happen.

In loose terms, they want to go for double in UK after that. Imagine a one or two, maybe more drivers get indisposed in Austria, having fever, and cannot participate in next race. Finger-pointing starts, and no one will come out of it smelling like a rose.

On the other hand, maybe nothing will happen, but is it worth the risk? 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:46 PM, Sakae said:

On the other hand, maybe nothing will happen, but is it worth the risk? 

Well, it is a nasty virus, but the vast majority of F1 personnel are not at risk of dying if they get it. You may have to isolate from the scene some of the older personnel (team owners, sponsors, etc.) but you are not taking a huge risk with the drivers or mechanics. The main thing is that you don’t have F1 to spread the virus elsewhere. So I do think you can run races with reasonable precautions. That does’t mean you that you can guarantee that there will be no cases, you just have to guarantee that F1 won’t spread it elsewhere. 

Edited by Ruslan

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well, it is a nasty virus, but the vast majority of F1 personnel are not at risk of dying if they get it. You may have to isolate from the scene some of the older personnel (team owners, sponsors, etc.) but you are not taking a huge risk with the drivers or mechanics. The main thing is that you don’t have F1 to spread the virus elsewhere. So I do think you can run races with reasonable precautions. That does’t mean you that you can guarantee that there will be no cases, you just have to guarantee that F1 won’t spread it elsewhere. 

Date 2020.04.18   Time 18:37 (UTC) .

RACE OR NOT RACE

Problem is with knowing. I follow medical news from Asia and NA right up to bat-caves in EU, and reports on the illness are conflicting.

Claims I read about are:

1. We are still learning about the virus. Not all is known, thus any conclusions are most likely premature. One day it's a bat, next day it is a man made, and so it goes. Its origins and location are disputed (politicised).

2. A person can survive, but not completely. Lungs get damaged for life. It's easy to re-acquire illness second time, possibly with fatal results. 

3. A person on the inside of racing track may contract virus without actually feeling anything, carry it unwittingly out, infecting his direct family, parents, people he meet with devastating effects. Close family may fall victim, and virus spreads once again exponentially, bringing us to square one.

Locking gate solution doesn't seems to be a solution at all to me. I am sorry for being so stubborn, but this premature racing idea is downright insane, if not substantively criminal for disregarding public safety.

Either they postpone the whole season for 2021 (like we did for Tokyo Olympics) or do a virtual race (non-championship)^_^

It is difficult to find balance between being alone, keeping social distance, feel safe regardless whether it is factual or just mental state, and engage with life in some minimal way to ensure we have one, when vaccine becomes available. 

On sunny side of news, first signs of vaccine being tested with promising results are popping up all over the globe in number of countries.

About that Austria thing, as stated earlier, I am not convinced we should be doing it, but it is Austrian government, promoter, Liberty, teams and FiA who decide, and they have.

Implications are, once it starts, they have to be minimal number of races for a season to be recognized. (Is it 8? Need to check Sporting Regulations). It is a big step F1 is engaging in. It remains to be seen whether it will be step of optimism, or recklessness.

Date 2020.05.28   Time 4:25 (UTC)

Old news back in headlines: provisional dates for first races in 2020 - July 5 and 12 / Austria 

On 5/28/2020 at 6:27 AM, Sakae said:

Date 2020.05.28   Time 4:25 (UTC)

Old news back in headlines: provisional dates for first races in 2020 - July 5 and 12 / Austria 

Date 2020.05.30   Time 13:32 (UTC)

Looks like government gave a nod to go ahead with the race, and MORE.  500 fans in attendance permitted?  I'am not sure about wisdom of that. Call me pessimist. But then, I am peddling the same message since dawn of time.

I understand good containment statistics were achieved because we didn't do crazy things. As Chancellor Merkel said, we were behaving well and responsibly, therefore new cases are down; good stuff, people, BUT, don't forget it's not over yet, and we still don't have a vaccine. People with weak immune body system are in mortal danger as ever since realization we have pandemic on our hands.

On 18/04/2020 at 7:21 PM, Ruslan said:

Well, it is a nasty virus, but the vast majority of F1 personnel are not at risk of dying if they get it. 

Strange logic there Ruslan.  How does the virus KNOW it is attackin F1 personnel or NOT ??
Everybody IS at risk of this nasty virus. 
Unfortunately MANY thousands HAVE already died, if they get it. 
The virus will NOT, suddenly say this IS F1 personnel so can NOT cause death. 

Edited by lipstick79

On 5/30/2020 at 3:42 PM, Sakae said:

Date 2020.05.30   Time 13:32 (UTC)

Looks like government gave a nod to go ahead with the race, and MORE.  500 fans in attendance permitted?  I'am not sure about wisdom of that. Call me pessimist. But then, I am peddling the same message since dawn of time.

I understand good containment statistics were achieved because we didn't do crazy things. As Chancellor Merkel said, we were behaving well and responsibly, therefore new cases are down; good stuff, people, BUT, don't forget it's not over yet, and we still don't have a vaccine. People with weak immune body system are in mortal danger as ever since realization we have pandemic on our hands.

Ecclestone: this is not good for anyone

I feel weird that Ecclestone and I are on the same page regarding wisdon of racing under current conditions, but it is what it is.

Already on-the-record as suggesting the season should be cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ecclestone fears the current optimism surrounding the season launch in Austria will quickly give way to some harsh realities.

So are my concerns as well.

Austria:

A few details were let out: the teams are flying in on chartered flights, and landing (most likely) on a nearby military airport before being processed and transported onto racing grounds. 

No details about logistics regarding materials they are hauling with them. 

Date 2020.06.22   Time 4:37 (UTC)

Webber (formerly with RBR} thinks it's between RBR (Verstappen) and Mercedes (Hamilton}. Indifferent to predictions whether this driver or that driver will dominate, here I find myself in strange situation agreeing with him, in one of those rare moments - ever, that Ferrari is most likely out of the trophy fight. Their car didn't look good enough to me in last testing. I would be gladly proven wrong, but my bad feeling about it started in February, and it's still here today because nothing much was done we know about. It's going to be difficult for Sebastian to leave on high note, despite all claims, that Binotto found extra 15 HP recently. On positive side, Seb may be at peace, that leaving Ferrari is not all that bad.

So, is it just RBR vs Mercedes? Both, Mercedes and Honda are't slouches. Engine fight certainly promises to be epic, but even better would be, when at least 5 cars could go together shoulder to shoulder into the first corner, and that's how this weird season starts.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

even better would be, when at least 5 cars could go together shoulder to shoulder into the first corner

This DOES actually occur and HAS for sometime.  
Do U even watch F1 Sakae ??  

I am NOT sayin that this, regularly occurs for the leading positions.  Though in the midfield battle THIS happens.  
Where Mclaren currently leads the pack, BEST of the rest.   

21 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Do U even watch F1 Sakae ??  

Date 2020.06.22   Time 8:04 (UTC)

Watch, read, discuss, dream, breath - all since Kyalami 1974 - every day.  In my younger years attending in person at least 2 to 3 races every year. It's "nice" of you that you ask. 

What I had my mind was not crazy midfield, but level front of the grid (which was main topic of my previous post). I've have seen 3 cars going into first corner on the track, these days maybe with Verstappen in fourth car diving on the inside off the track (and being applauded for it), but cannot recall an event when there would be first 5 cars jamming first corner, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Besides, track is not that wide. If you would watch properly, you would have noticed that.

Best of the rest at the moment I think is the Racing Point car with Perez behind the wheel. That would be hard to dispute - for now.

Indeed I agree with best of the rest at the moment - Racing Point Powered by Mercedes
In what will probably B Mclaren`s final season powered Renault  - for some time at least.  
Notice the trend.  Mercedes R out in FRONT with Hamilton AND pickin up the midfield With Perez (former Mclaren Mercedes driver).
Then Mercedes R ALSO at the BACK with William`s.

Date 2020.06.26   Time 6:04 (UTC)

Smart money is on Verstappen, Bottas and Hamilton? Mika Hakkinen, who doesn't need introduction, has now aligned himself with a few others pundits in prediction who will take race(s). Based on old talk regarding (alleged) Ferrari decline, prediction seems rather cheapishly easy. Predictions however also come and go, so lets hope its more complicated than being obvious. Ferrari at the end might not be as deep, as I also feel they are, in that proverbial creek of defecation. Miracle could happen, let us pray that Ferrari rise to the occassion. I really want Seb to end on the high note, and hopefully better than P5.

GP247 on Ferrari:

Suggesting F1’s hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic “stimulated the imagination” of Italian media, AMuS reports that mooted chassis upgrades – a slimmer nose, stiffer gearbox and new rear axle – would require more tokens than are available under the system F1 recently agreed to use to limit spending on development.

Right. One of many examples how you handcuff competition. Why allow improvements of a car which could give others headache, when you can choose someone else as potential winner; someone about whom you know they have a good car already. Enter Tokens - don't improve too much scheme. Sounds familiar? Think y. 2014. This raises obvious question, namely, is fix in?

Whilst I AM a Mika fan.  My concern IS it took Mika HOW long 2 even win 1 race.
Then when he HAD the Newey designed MP4/18 he started 2 show some promise, and the rest is a part history multi WDC`s.
Whilst his opinion can not be dismissed, he seems to have followed the crowd.   Aligning himself with a few others pundits in prediction who will take race(s).
If it were easy everybody else would B doin it.  Which is why I am goin 2 B BOLD, and DISAGREE.

Verstappen WILL B a let down.  LOT`S R anticipated from him, I believe that IS the BIGGEST problem.
Bottas and Hamilton - right place at, the right time.  BOTH Mercedes drivers.  Mercedes seem 2 have nailed this era.
Others R STILL, head scratchin.

Date 2020.07.03   Time 8:03 (UTC)

I was trying to stay away from certain topics as long as possible, but now it is getting to the level which raises questions about all of us. 

Enter Hamilton.

This guy, when something in his perception wasn't to his liking, he accused Rosberg from wrongdoing, he accused his management from wrongdoing, he was whining we never hear from other drivers, and alwyas given benefit of doubt. When he wants some special treatment within his team, he wraps himself in British flag, and then he turns away from his motherland, and rushes in his plane to luxury of Monaco, or Colorado, forgetting he should be living in GB if he loves the land and people that much.

For this race he managed to put on his car "We will rise". Rise to what, man? You are one of the richest persons around, so what else do you want? Media are kissing your feet, you dine with the queen, and this is still not enough for you?

I will end here with call for sense of proportionality. Sure, people all over the world have their problems, I have seen it, but in my mind we have governments -  that we vote in  -  to solve what needs to be solved.  This race is however sport. This is F1 and not demonstration in a foreign land. Let real victims to speak for themselves. America is full of very well educated, respected, and versed in domestic issues, people of African descent. Let them deal with those issues. And it seems those issues - as presented by media - are real. Some statistics do however suggest little different problem, but that's another story, and not for here.

To conclude, I say, stop playing victim, and knock it off, will you. 

Date 2020.07.03   Time 10:44 (UTC)

FP1 is over. Any surprises? No, just confirmation of our darkest fears, that is, depends which camp you are in. Mercedes is at the front, Ferrari...well, I wait for them to come from big behind.

RB seems in P2, Racing Point will fight for P3.

I know, it has been said thousand times only fool be trying to predict race results on Friday, however unfortunately for past several years after FP1 there are no more surprises to come.

Noted: Verstappen spun - gentle comments, not a single mentioning of ERROR.  Vettel in similar situation would be crucified for his (alledgedly) endless errors. Hamilton the same last year - left track, however no error mentioned.  In Vettel's case I've read on one page 6 articles with damning of Vettel due to his "endless errors".

Double standard in F1 in pretentious media is alive and well.