Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

McLaren F1 Team (2021)

Date 2020.05.07   Time 16:42 (UTC)

This could explain some of the causes behind noises Mr. Brown has been making in past little while. At the end Vettel for a year could take a pay cut and stay at Ferrari longer. Would be there visible differences should he move to McLaren? Hard to tell.

It's finally been announced: Daniel Ricciardo will drive for McLaren from 2021. After a long period of rumours that Ricciardo will go to another team, the decision is made and he exchanges Renault for McLaren.

My guess is that he has some friends who do actually care. Editors behind headlines "Vettel signed for one year with McLaren" might not be looking too good right now. Sad thing is, its new normal for them, and they do not care whether they are making false statements, for there is no one to make them pay dearly for that. Looks like the retirement for (lazy, as one Brit marked Vettel) Seb is another step closer.

...one or two media sources do claim that Sebastian actually announced his retirement from F1 already. I cannot speak to the credibility of that claim, but it is plausible he did, and something which I am inclined to believe. I do expect some guessing will go on whether DR was given nod only after Seb rejected the offer, or perhaps there never was an offer for Seb in the first place.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:19 AM, Sakae said:

...one or two media sources do claim that Sebastian actually announced his retirement from F1 already. I cannot speak to the credibility of that claim, but it is plausible he did, and something which I am inclined to believe. I do expect some guessing will go on whether DR was given nod only after Seb rejected the offer, or perhaps there never was an offer for Seb in the first place.

Zak Brown made it pretty clear in an interview today that Seb was never considered. Apparently the DR deal had been in work for a while (these things usually takes weeks, if not months) and they were pretty far down the pike when the news about Seb came out.

Of course, this does open the question as to whether Zak Brown had known for a while that Sainz was going to Ferrari.

All true, however Vettel never spoke about McLaren as something he wants. At least I've never heard him to talk about it. Speculations were made up by various people on the internet and in media, which is not that surprising.

I should add, I've read now the interview in full, and what Brown actually said was that when it was confirmed that Vettel will be leaving, they were already deep in progress speaking to DR. Sainz apparently requested permission to speak to Ferrari, so they knew what was brewing. Consideration is however one thing, confirmation is other.

DR ("nice guy") supposedly was placing unsolicited calls to Ferrari already in December last year, offering himself to replace Seb.

I'm really excited to see where McLaren is heading.

2020: Hopefully, They have refined their niggles with the Renault engine in place, cooling is the main concern here.. 2020 should sail better. Good sendoff for Sainz.

2021: With a Mercedes engine (Hopefully on par with the works team), they should be competitive. 2021 will be a good step to understand how to Mechanically setup the car around a Mercedes Engine. Probably that's why they stuck with the decision to switch to a Merc PU for 2021, this will pay dividends in 2022 and beyond.

Lando and Ric are going to be the Jesters outside the car that will entertain the whole F1 fraternity, cant wait to see that :lol:.

McLaren had Mercedes engine in 2014, and they drop it without much of remorse. It's hard to make up good story out of it 7 years later. Emotionally I feel actually sorry for Andreas. That's about all.

23 hours ago, Sakae said:

McLaren had Mercedes engine in 2014, and they drop it without much of remorse. It's hard to make up good story out of it 7 years later.

True, but those were different times, with engine manufacturers not wanting to share engine mapping with the customer teams, and this also being written in contracts and s##t. It was an era still under ecclestone, who has played Don King of F1 since always. He didn't care for a fairer championship as much as Liberty is working towards it. Ron understood that Mercedes will not share the engine tech fairly with Mclaren, and chose to the Honda way. Well, in hindsight... Honda was always going to be 5 steps behind the others because of where they started, coz the fundamental structure of the engine was not competitive overall.

Honda took a big leap when they went the Mercedes way by splitting the Turbo.

We all know all of this.. the point that Im tryin to make is... with the split Turbo design, Mercedes is still ahead on the development, although not far away. It is possibly going to benefit McLaren if they can workout the cooling as well as Mecedes, and get the right Mechanical grip with the PU in place.

Rest, I trust Ricciardo to add some spice ;) 

Button was going add some spice.

Alonso was going to add some spice.

DR will add some spice.

Are you McLaren guys ready to open Spice & Condiments store yet?

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Button was going add some spice.

Alonso was going to add some spice.

DR will add some spice.

As far as  I see what happened at Cafe-de-La-McLaren is..

Button was brought to add some volume to dish that was already spiced up with Hamilton in it.

Alonso had all the spices, but they had no dish prepared to add this spice to.

And DR is taking a gamble on change of chef in the restaurant, which looks promising enough to bring some customers (Podiums).

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Are you McLaren guys ready to open Spice & Condiments store yet?

Oh yes sir.

Here, let me advertise to you my first lip smacking condiment that goes with a lot of F1 Dishes.

jalapeno-slice-jar-500x500.jpg

Low budget = MCLAREN AXES 1200 JOBS IN COMPANY RESTRUCTURE

That's only begging. When Binotto expressed his concern about Ferrari's workers who would have to leave to due excessive cuts, Mr. Brown didn't take it well, as it was reported.

Sakae

The end is Just the beginning
With the Mercedes power unit on the way.
Hopefully will B able to move forward, finally putting the Honda project behind them.
The Renault years have just proven to be stabilising years.
The turbo hybrid era has reduced, not increased competition.  With the likes of Cosworth not having any partners.  Though it is my understanding
that Cosworth have something, though unfortunately do not have the funds or a customer.

Define competition. 35 cars in a race? That's what you need?

5 or 6 cars (10 - 12 drivers) able to reach podium is more than adequate for me. I have some fleeting experience with NASCAR, and I know now what I like, and what I don't. I can tell you in all those years I am with this sport, if there were 3 to 5 drivers who could step on podium regularly, that was all. That is F1 as I know it.   

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

The turbo hybrid era has reduced, not increased competition. 

In some aspects yes, not every D#ck and Harry can built a competitive PU.  That's a beauty of it. That's the differentiating aspect.

In my perception what is however chocking F1 is the constant pressure from certain teams to make frequent changes which are not cheap, mind you, and imposition of one restriction after another, presumably for economic reasons. Keeping Hamilton safe for so long on the top was not problem of hybrids per se, but tokens, moratorium, and many other insane ideas protecting him from competition. I see it as failed policies, and not taking desired responsibilities by management for the sport in past 40 years.

21 hours ago, Sakae said:

make frequent changes which are not cheap

Supporting my statement,  The turbo hybrid era has reduced, not increased competition. 
Confirmin Ron Dennis`s claim, U HAVE 2 B a works team to succeed in f1

@lipstick79 I don't agree with above two statements for reasons explained already, and I am yet to hear one sensible contra-argument which would convince me otherwise. I did ask you, but you did not bother to tell me, how do you define competition in current F1? What is competition to you, what is competition in F1 which we all can accept?

Not to be rude, I am going to address at least one point again - perceived lack of competition you are speaking off.

The hybrid technology can be learned, and its complexity overcome on different slopes of learning curve. The slope is certainly affected by intellect, scope, depth, and when it can be done, just as by available resources. 

I do argue, rigidity of restrictive rules is behind stagnation for teams to level playing field. Stop blaming technology, and ask FiA who is behind all those restrictions what teams can and cannot do? If teams are not allowed to full extent work on and test as they need to correct flaws in their initial design, then recovery process is at snail speed and we know today, it can take several years before frontrunner is in sight, never-mind overtaken. (Did you forget homologation of new technology in its first year, or tokens scam?)

BTW, prior hybrids, when Vettel was schooling rest of the field, did you also complain about technology that propelled Vettel onto a podium? In pre-hybrid era McLaren could develop their car, and they did, but RB driver made the difference. Data and results are there for all to see. Newey wasn't the only guy on the job.

In my memory F1 was never comparable with NASCAR in terms of changes in lead. Catching a leader in F1 was always infrequent, but beautiful or nerve wrecking (that was dependent who was your driver). We don't have it anymore, because PUs are now about at the same level, but vehicle design (aero, chassis, tires) are not supportive of following and overtaking. Maybe new car design (dreamt up in some offices in London) down the road will address it. Several leading drivers do think Brawn is solving wrong problem, but I am not in a position to prove anyone right or wrong. What is certain, this latest change will cost dearly everybody.  

The changes you are mentioning in your post are imposed by FiA. Neither RB, Mercedes, or Ferrari would ask for them as often as the weak teams do. Horner was speaking to that point not too long ago. Every team has their own vision and their own world that they operate in, however large question is, whether issues that affect them all should be driven by minority complains. I think I know what the answer is, and you would probably not like to hear that. 

Something big is brewing at McLaren. Reshuffle at the top, and now...there are velvet style headlines in UK about that team's finances, but in plain language for rest of us, is it possible McLaren has asked for protection from bancrupcy? TP's rhetoric about "F1 being in fragile state" merely underlines speculations of that kind. 

In an older article F1 Insider states:

In 2019 around 30 percent of all Formula 1 revenue came from the tracks, 38 percent from TV rights, 15 percent from sponsors. The problem: Contracts can be renegotiated if fewer than 15 races are held or the GP is closed to spectators. There are currently only 14 dates and no one knows whether the races can actually take place.

McLaren was the first team to respond, sending many of its employees on short-time work. Team principal Andreas Seidl and drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris accepted pay cuts.

Love him or hate him, but I still am sad that Ron Dennis exited F1 the way in which it went down. Zak Brown is a nobody when it comes to passion for a sport. Ron Dennis was F1 just as Frank Williams was as well. I know there has to be a changing of the guard. However McLaren knifing Ron the way they did lost me as a fan of theirs forever. And yes I know Ron can be difficult and Ronspeak was a "thing" for so long. F1 is poorer without him.

Whatever happens to McLaren, I hope that means Zak Brown goes. I also hope the awful papaya orange goes. He still wasn't able to get any sponsors on the car and he's been in advertising for decades.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DhFCTMOd3Ks/maxresdefault.jpg

It seems like so long ago now that McLaren were genuine world beaters. Long live 2005.

3 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

It seems like so long ago now that McLaren were genuine world beaters

U R MISSIN the point.
2 B the best in the world, U HAVE 2 BEAT the REST in the world.
If there is, no racin - NOT been beaten

If NOT beaten then NOT the worst.
U put the car on the track, and let the drivers drive 2 C who IS the best OR worst

Mclaren IS fast becomin a Bahrain team with headquarters in Woking.
Team Bahrain - McLaren 2020 is a WorldTour cycling team from Bahrein 
The Mclaren F1 team is FAST becomin Bahrein endorsed.  
With the ONLY link to Ron Dennis being the MTC in Woking.  I HAVE been a guest of Ron Dennis` there. 

Bahrainis have money. A lot. McLaren apparently doesn't seems to.

I am assuming Lipstick you know about recent changes in upper management. I think however they should have taken a one step more to finish the job.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:43 PM, Sakae said:

Bahrainis have money. A lot. McLaren apparently doesn't seems to.

Like Ron Dennis said (in the previous V8 era ).
Need 2 B a works team to Succeed in F1. 
With Ron, Mclaren WERE the unofficial works Mercedes team, until Mercedes bought Brawn GP - because Ron would NOT sell out. 
Since then Ron HAS sold out.  Zak is in NOW control and the Bahreinian`s R payin the guys in Wokin. 
The guy`s in wokin R doin a GOOD job, so far - so good. 
Without bein a works team - but it IS still EARLY days with a LONG way to go.  Many MORE twists and turns R expected. 
Mclaren R takin the midfield fight 2 Renault.  Whose response IS, cryin 2 FIA - Pink Mercedes is NOT fair - because we did NOT think of doin it !!