Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

McLaren F1 Team (2021)

Changes in track performance gave away what's going on, and when improvement became noticeable. One merely had to disregard obnoxious talk, and focus on actual data. Sainz will have probably a contrasting surprise waiting for him. Getting Seidl for AM would be a major, major. (I know...)

McLaren to make leap

For Seidl’s colleagues like Alpha Tauri team boss Franz Tost, McLaren will make another big leap because of its collaboration with Mercedes. “Mercedes still has the strongest and best engine, let’s not kid ourselves about that. McLaren will benefit from that,” says the Tyrolean.

Seidl: “In the end, though, you never really know where you stand until the first test drive. On paper, it looks like we’re stronger. 

McLaren has access to the same development tools and equipment as other teams, including sim systems, yet Andreas, a successful man on the job, is restating my mantra, that a team needs to take prototypes in development of the track, test it, and have time to fix what fixing is needed. We don't have that luxury anymore. Finding emerging problems after the first race is punishing team's fans, team supporting advertisers, and ultimately a team financially as they are loosing race points, never-mind upsetting external relationships.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:07 AM, Sakae said:

Mercedes still has the strongest and best engine, let’s not kid ourselves about that

Which makes me wonder, what HAVE Williams been doin wrong?
Williams could NOT have designed so badly, somethin SERIOUSLY wrong in THAT factory.
Claire not ABLE 2 live up 2 her fathers name - NOW she is GONE. 

11 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Claire not ABLE 2 live up 2 her fathers name - NOW she is GONE. 

Probably there is a reason for that. Family lineage is apparently not enough or equal to knowing what you are doing in the job gifted to you.

Now the team hired Button. Well, good luck with that. I thought one experience with him was enough, but not everyone learns. Button was selling for pretty good bucks, as I understand it, "his experience" with Honda, playing advisor to McLaren how to handle Honda, and most of us (apparently not everyone) noticed, how that ended.

13 hours ago, Sakae said:

how that ended

The Mclaren Honda project ended NOT because of Button, Honda were NOT reliable at that time.
Button`s experience with Honda were HAVING a WINNING product already.
NOT developing a product 2 BECOME a winning product.

noticed, how that ended

It ended WITH Red Bull comin on board and doin what Red Bull do - invest money 2 get 2 where they want 2 B.  
Max is now EXPECTED 2 perform, some time SOON.

21 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

The Mclaren Honda project ended NOT because of Button, Honda were NOT reliable at that time.
Button`s experience with Honda were HAVING a WINNING product already.
NOT developing a product 2 BECOME a winning product.

It ended WITH Red Bull comin on board and doin what Red Bull do - invest money 2 get 2 where they want 2 B.  
Max is now EXPECTED 2 perform, some time SOON.

I think you are missing my point, which is, things would have happened even without Button being on payroll. Williams could save a buck or two learning of it.

I thought one experience with him was enough

That 1 experience with Button were when, Button did NOT have marketin behind him - BEFORE Button became WDC.
Now Williams HAVE guaranteed marketin, available 2 sponsors.  Though with the take over, probably NOT neeeded.

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Williams could save a buck or two learning of it.

But THAT buck or two , BRINGS a buck or two IN marketin - the BEST of England,  Williams & CHAMPION Button 

3 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

That 1 experience with Button were when, Button did NOT have marketin behind him - BEFORE Button became WDC.
Now Williams HAVE guaranteed marketin, available 2 sponsors.  Though with the take over, probably NOT neeeded.

I beg your pardon? Button offered his alleged expertise to McLaren/Honda when he was already out of the F1 as a one time WDC. What did he actually made better during Honda's tenure at McLaren? His selling point was to supply McLaren with technical understanding how Honda works, and harmonise the relationship. From where I sit, that didn't really worked well. 

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

I beg ...

I hear that a LOT - now get down on UR knees & say U love me !!! lol
Button drove for the Ron Dennis Mclaren - MP4 ##
A different Mclaren

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

harmonise the relationship. From where I sit, that didn't really worked well. 

The relationship WITH Honda WERE harmonised WELL.
The Honda project ended on GOOD terms.  It is just at THAT time, Honda did NOT have anythin other than potential.
Now Honda STILL have potential, with a few race wins behind them  With mad Max expected to realise THAT potential for Red Bull Honda.

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

What did he actually made better during Honda's tenure at McLaren?

The EXIT to the MOST reliable PU available - Renault.

Honda WERE the problem, at THAT time - NOT Button.
Give Button a winning car and, Button will WIN - it is NOT difficult 2 understand.
I am NOT a Button fan in the slightest, just reading the situation.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/757300/Sliders_Compare_the_McLaren_MCL35M_and_MCL35/

The top down view of the car, Starting from the sidepod right upto the gearbox, there is a huge visible difference in the car.

This portion:

image.png.7ff8cf05bec7b5f32f88f740f2a0c502.png

McLaren have the best of last years car + compact chassis + more power ,, interesting times for McLaren..

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/757300/Sliders_Compare_the_McLaren_MCL35M_and_MCL35/

The top down view of the car, Starting from the sidepod right upto the gearbox, there is a huge visible difference in the car.

This portion:

image.png.7ff8cf05bec7b5f32f88f740f2a0c502.png

McLaren have the best of last years car + compact chassis + more power ,, interesting times for McLaren..

Yes, that area is more slimmer and compact now becoz of the smaller Merc engine (which amazes me). 

No more high rakes on the car this year, like AM,  the Merc design philosophy is carried through and is better suited for low, They seem to be following that.

Will be interesting to see it go..

41 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

No more high rakes on the car this year

Not exactly sure, but I don't think McLaren is going for a similar low rake setup as Mercedes or AM. Their design philosophy seems similar to that of Alpha Tauri.

Infact If I remember correctly, Renault followed McLarens high rake concept in 2020 and were at one point cribbing to have done that, instead of going the Merc way..

AM is sourcing it's gearbox and suspension from Merc, and that's why they built the whole car similar to the Merc.

McLaren has chosen to develop its own gearbox. But they seem to have a new suspension system altogether.

I tried to look closely at it, the difference between the rear suspension setup from last year to this year, guess thats one more crucial area they have developed..

4 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Not exactly sure, but I don't think McLaren is going for a similar low rake setup as Mercedes or AM. Their design philosophy seems similar to that of Alpha Tauri.

Infact If I remember correctly, Renault followed McLarens high rake concept in 2020 and were at one point cribbing to have done that, instead of going the Merc way..

AM is sourcing it's gearbox and suspension from Merc, and that's why they built the whole car similar to the Merc.

McLaren has chosen to develop its own gearbox. But they seem to have a new suspension system altogether.

I tried to look closely at it, the difference between the rear suspension setup from last year to this year, guess thats one more crucial area they have developed..

Yes, everyone will be looking to develop there.

The car looks nice and tidy

13 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

the Merc design philosophy is carried through and is better suited for low, They seem to be following that.

Well well,, what do we have here...

Screenshot_20210217-185607_Facebook.thumb.jpg.61680ba867975689e642812f55c7e06d.jpg

2 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Well well,, what do we have here...

Screenshot_20210217-185607_Facebook.thumb.jpg.61680ba867975689e642812f55c7e06d.jpg

Too close for comfort. It's essential they copy if they are to compete, same with AM. Better watch out MB, Mclaren has the resources to give your boys a fight!

McLaren on the block?

So, what's going on? Is this that great leadership of Mr. Brown people in here were impressed with? I am not sure what to think of it, but sounds like McLaren has very good PR, whereas products ... 

Private equity firm TPG are reportedly in exclusive talks over the purchase of the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, Surrey.

With my tired brain I am assuming you don't sell something of value which has potential generating prosperous future, whereas doubts there is any future might trigger sell off. Big question - is McLaren following Williams' footsteps? 

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

McLaren on the block?

So, what's going on? Is this that great leadership of Mr. Brown people in here were impressed with? I am not sure what to think of it, but sounds like McLaren has very good PR, whereas products ... 

With my tired brain I am assuming you don't sell something of value which has potential generating prosperous future, whereas doubts there is any future might trigger sell off. Big question - is McLaren following Williams' footsteps? 

Yes, I read about their debt escalating problems. They been looking to sell awhile now. It's a Pity as it's a novel technological masterpiece. RD would never have sold it, he would've found a way... it's his baby afterall