Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Ferrari 2021

Two days after it was announced Sebastian Vettel would be leaving Ferrari at the end of 2020, the Italian team have confirmed Carlos Sainz as Charles Leclerc’s new team mate from 2021 onwards.

Two days? Looks like this switch was then some time in making. I am not sure that I understand reason for delay of the announcement, that Vettel will be leaving team end of this season. 

With some regret and relieve at the same time, to avoid any misunderstanding in the future, Ferrari is not anymore "my team". Sebastian is leaving from Maranello, and so am I. Mind you, I still love Italy. Music, food, vine, leather goods, craftsmanship, history. That will never leave me.

Date 2020.05.16   Time 4:05 (UTC)

My mistake not providing link. The article was one of many which were rolling in large numbers after the announcement that Vettel is leaving. I was curious over it, because it takes usually very long time to negotiate two driver agreements. It makes me therefore think, whether there was ever an honest intent to resign Vettel in the first place. Sainz was in just in 2 days after the announcement about Sebastian's departure, and that's a story itself.

There were claims made in Germany, that whole affair came to light when it was confirmed, because it was actually Vettel who forced Ferrari's hand to come clean sooner than they wanted, and make the announcement. I was puzzled why they held it back so long, especially after Vettel told them his conditions (no to 1 year, no to unofficial No. 2) from the very begging. I though about it as dishonest offer from Maranello, which he could not accept, and they probably suspected that much. My understanding also is, that negotiations never progressed to the financials, and ended as soon as it came to light what Maranello wanted.  

I would not be surprised to hear that McLaren was on it for some time as well, considering how quickly both transfers occurred. Renault however wasn't told, but then, that's DR. I am not sure why would be Abiteboul surprised over it, to which he more or less admitted in one interview. I further think Renault can do better than keeping DR with his constant whining.

McLaren should not be jumping too high however with delight over his impeding arrival, because I am darn sure had Ferrari made a call, DR would have dropped dear McLaren like rotten apple, so it is clear they were his merely second choice, and he will drop them as soon as something better comes up. I am quoting here Bill Maher:

Men are only as loyal as their options.

Well, I gather the dismissal of Vettel took a few weeks also. The first I heard about it was a couple of weeks ago when Vettel dismissed the offer of a one year contract for 12M as a joke. I gather that offer had been made a least a week earlier. So mosl likely this process was dragging out a month before hand, if not much longer. 

Now things can happen in a couple of days in F1 (like Watson’s replacement by Prost) but this clearly was going on for.a month or two. What else do they have to do at the moment.

I am not sure that I would go that far and called dismissal, but you have let us know how little you think about him, so you call it as you think of it.

I am different from you. Sometimes, here after 5 years, people want to go into different directions, and things fall in place accordingly. Seb was never happy with cars after 2013. That's a fact. On the other side, for very long time there was pressure on Ferrari to have driver closer to Italian ilk, and Leclerc seems to fit the bill. Sainz will be probably less adversarial than Seb is, but Carlos will not be easy either. I watched him for some time in earlier years, and he got wronged by some people. Now it is his chance, and good for him. I really wish him well. act

On 5/14/2020 at 0:48 PM, Sakae said:

Two days? Looks like this switch was then some time in making. I am not sure that I understand reason for delay of the announcement, that Vettel will be leaving team end of this season. 

With some regret and relieve at the same time, to avoid any misunderstanding in the future, Ferrari is not anymore "my team". Sebastian is leaving from Maranello, and so am I. Mind you, I still love Italy. Music, food, vine, leather goods, craftsmanship, history. That will never leave me.

Unfortunately, no longer my team too. I said it b4 when they dropped Kimi for Santander money switch with Alonso. 

They seem clueless... 

10 hours ago, Sakae said:

I am not sure that I would go that far and called dismissal, but you have let us know how little you think about him, so you call it as you think of it.

I am guessing they made him an offer they knew he would refuse. They may have even been in discussion with Sainz before they made the offer to him. There are rumors that there were some other clauses in the offer beyond reduced money (12M) and a 1-year term. I think Vettel himself has hinted at that. That Vettel called it a joke indicates that the offer probably had the expected effect.

It kind of looks like a dismissal.

Sticking to facts, it has been confirmed by Ferrari, that their drivers for next year are Sainz and Leclerc. I would only add, it is plausible speculation that the financial offer to Vettel would not had been at the same, or at increased level from where he is today. One can make a list of potential reasons for that, and also make a guessing game how low they went, but someone else can do it, if they get kicks out of it. Not me however.

Ferrari is closed chapter now for this guy. I find nothing useful in trying better understand what motivated Ferrari, and they aren't going to tell me anyway. Perhaps I can close with recollection what Camilleri stated the other day (paraphrasing), "you cannot make a guy with 4 WDC to his credit play a second fiddle to someone who won 2 races". From long term strategy point of view, hiring Sainz makes then a lot more sense to them, as he might be more willing and be malleable than Vettel ever was or would be. Leclerc is a designated/chosen one. It remains to be seen how long it will take for Sainz to put up with it. 

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

Sticking to facts, it has been confirmed by Ferrari, that their drivers for next year are Sainz and Leclerc. I would only add, it is plausible speculation that the financial offer to Vettel would not had been at the same, or at increased level from where he is today. One can make a list of potential reasons for that, and also make a guessing game how low they went, but someone else can do it, if they get kicks out of it. Not me however.

Ferrari is closed chapter now for this guy. I find nothing useful in trying better understand what motivated Ferrari, and they aren't going to tell me anyway. Perhaps I can close with recollection what Camilleri stated the other day (paraphrasing), "you cannot make a guy with 4 WDC to his credit play a second fiddle to someone who won 2 races". From long term strategy point of view, hiring Sainz makes then a lot more sense to them, as he might be more willing and be malleable than Vettel ever was or would be. Leclerc is a designated/chosen one. It remains to be seen how long it will take for Sainz to put up with it. 

+1

5 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I am guessing they made him an offer they knew he would refuse. They may have even been in discussion with Sainz before they made the offer to him. There are rumors that there were some other clauses in the offer beyond reduced money (12M) and a 1-year term. I think Vettel himself has hinted at that. That Vettel called it a joke indicates that the offer probably had the expected effect.

It kind of looks like a dismissal.

Yes, bloody good point Rus

Date 2020.05.23   Time 11:25 (UTC)

Motosportweek has an article out quoting Sainz, that there was an offer for him on the table already last year from Ferrari. I am not anymore interested in morbid details of it all with exception of one question. Wasn't Sebastian worth some honesty from the team he supported for number of years, and couldn't they came up clean with us - public - in January, instead having us go through this distasteful charade?

Drivers come and go, and Ferrari is not the only team with such dubious reputation. Williams kicked out Hill after he won championship. One can find quite a few eyebrow rising changes in F1 history. After all, I am not sure what happened with Schumacher first time around, when media - especially British - were screaming murder that he is winning too much and is time for change. I had nagging feeling end of 2013 Vettel received similar treatment from the same media sources.

Yes, I was around, and I was Michael's fan, and I remember pain reading tabloids slugging this guy day in, day out, and all what followed on so called "reputable" forums. One guy, he claimed to be a solicitor by trade, called Schumacher a criminal. He is still on that forum, whereas I, when I made clear I was happy Webber retired, one Australian reported me as a hater, and my account got blocked for good. Long live free speech.

To be clear, I am not upset that Ferrari wanted a change in their driver's line up, not at all, however that little theatrical performance called "we are negotiating" seems disrespectful of Vettel as a person, it is disrespectful to me as a fan. Teams want us to root for them, but I think they are making it hard by being that sordid towards to drivers and their fans, which are after all part of that large picture called F1.     

Ferrari intents to go into 2021 with one striker, and it's not Sainz; such news are circulating on the internet. I am hoping he is not surprised by it.

“I’ve always said that for me, from his speed, he’s Kimi Raikkonen, and from his working attitude, he’s probably Michael [Schumacher]

Sauber team manager Beat Zehnder

Hey, I might like this Leclerc guy

Binotto has reconfirmed his claim he made in Feb, that Ferrari is in his estimation third (team) on the starting grid. There is a chance he might be telling the truth. Wolff thinks Ferrari is still sandbagging, which could be true, but they are still slow. That's what I got from testing in Feb.

This may infuriated and sadden Italian's fans; Marko might be just stating facts, and there is no point to get mad at him.

MARKO: ITS RED BULL VS MERCEDES, FERRARI IS NOT AT OUR LEVEL

First time in a long time.
The 2021 season (not sure on contractual certainties) WILL B probably the FIRST season in a LONG time that.
Ferrari do NOT have the influence of a WDC CHAMPION within the team.  Ferrari HAS got left behind.
Ferrari CAN B considered about the same as William`s - and NOT because Claire HAS elevated William`s either.

So Ferrari is now at Williams level, according to you? lipstick, you have really taken this to whole new level, and jumped from white cliffs of Dover this time.

Sakae that IS correct interpretation.
It is NOT according to my opinion, it is accordin to FACT

U correctly observed my observation.  That Ferrari is at the level of William`s, and NOT William`s at the level of Ferrari.
Such is the demise of Ferrari.

It appears that Ferrari R livin off the name.

I initially thought that it were a, can worms everywhere statement.
Though the moor I consider it, the more the evidence presents itself.  

Ferrari is fighting at the front for a position, Williams is fighting on borrowed time at the back of grid. How is it similar?

Rule book and COVID-19 pandemic put brakes on work Ferrari needs for implementing changes on their equipment FiA has ordered. That has undoubtedly hurt Ferrari, but that was the aim by one or two teams on the grid, wasn't it? To hurt Ferrari. Ferrari was successful in technical aspects, so they were accused without specific evidence of it from foul play. And Williams meanwhile...?

If you look for someone living on glory of the past, I would suggest for you look around you in your normal daily life where you live. You may find it in abundance.

Date 2020.07.01   Time 5:02 (UTC)

FERRARI: WE’VE HAD TO ‘RECALIBRATE’ OUR CAR’S DEVELOPMENT

Several headlines of this kind do suggest that poor showing in Febuary testing was not all (if any) sandbagging. Without track related validation of changes in design -- limited as they can be due to imposed token system on the scope -- we now have to wait for the car to hit track before we learn, how effective recalibration has been. Paddock, and we on sidelines, always assume Mercedes is in, and this time Ferrari, as former major protagonist, was replaced with loud talking RB. Considering however influence of anticipated ambient temperatures placing cars in imbalance, with some precipitation, anything could happen this weekend. 

Date 2020.07.04   Time 7:03 (UTC)

Speaking to Autosport, Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto has revealed that his outfit recognized pretty early on during the winter testing that the aerodynamic package of the SF1000 did not work as expected. The Swiss-Italian explained the issues with correlation problems, meaning that the on-track performances did not match the computer data.

I said this n-times before, anyone - especially non-technical persons in paddock - who claim we do not need track testing, and can do-all on (cheaper) computers are patently ignorant. Honda had the similar problem, before they realized based on track data that their dyno was giving them false data. Unfortunately it has taken them couple of years before Eureka moment. Once they implemented calibration related countermeasures, they made rapid progress thereafter. Current Ferrari machine has more than just one issue, unfortunately, and it's going to hurt them through the season, it will do damage to their legacy, just as they will get hit at the pay-day. So, what was saved by not proper testing (2 months at least) on the track?

Anytime I hear that a team has to re-calibrate their wind tunnels and computer testing, I believe it less and less. It's one of the oldest pass the buck excuses around.

This is FERRARI. Seriously they are STILL having wind tunnel and computer modelling issues? What a joke.

I agree Sakae, I want real track testing. I'm tired of this pretend sport not allowing testing and other teams the chance to innovate. I want the drivers to be given a chance to add real feedback and to get practice. The teams are still spending the same amount if not more $$. I'm tired of engines being made to last several races. The sport is stale and has gone so far in the wrong direction.

Don't even get me started on the bumbling idiot Chase Carey. Liberty are a disaster. How anyone ever thought an American owner would help the sport is beyond me.

The best part of this season is F1 having more Euro races. Keep them and add more I say. I don't want to go to China, and am not at all interested in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Russia and the Azerbaijan races. They suck.

Let's have multiple races in Italy and Germany. The Dutch GP. Add Portugal back and the French GP.

Brawn has also turned out to be a dud, but I suspect his hands are tied by Liberty. I wonder how he'd be if given a real chance to run the sport. I suspect it would be alot better than it is now. The first thing I'd love him to change is the way teams vote on things. No more majority votes, let someone with a clear vision make decicions and the teams have to follow it period.

/disappointed fan

Ferrari,, Ferraaari,,,,, Ferrrraaaaaaariiii... 🐎 🤏

The Ferrari Structure is made to survive on Making Racing cars, because of which, the Tifosi's like to pronounce the name with such passion.

Alas, The F1 team in retrospect doesn't seem to be technically passionate about getting into the details of racing, or looking into the details of the details that make the car better. Everyone in the garage probably is Too caught up in managing their fragile Italian ego's, to focus on the final goal of - Making a Winning racing Car :ferrari:.

Instead they indulge in silly conflicts like directly or indirectly blaming the driver. How the treated Vettle, Lauda or Alonso for that matter, was not all right.

or blaming continuing to blame correlation issues for over a decade now :frusty:  

Hopefully Leclerc and Sainz can hold the reigns of this prancing horse and bring all the horse feet down to the ground, to get more traction out it.