Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thetruth34

F1 Management

Seems to be as an American that F1 needs to be more German. You can't beat German organisation, driving and engineering. 

How great would F1 be if the Germans ran the entire show? 

Date 2020.05.21   Time 5:31 (UTC) - Just an Op.

I have reservation about F1 being managed as it is, but I am just someone on the sidelines, so I have luxury of speculating without harm to anyone. There were stories (or at least one) published about moves by leadership behind the scenes to ensure Grand Prix rival series, run presumably by different owners, suddenly will not pop up with members like Ferrari, Mercedes, and I gather some others. 

I find rather intriguing claims, that Brawn and his boys in a back room have technical solution to current technical "problems". Problems, I gather, are defined as cost and lack of overtaking due to inability for cars to follow closely.

What we know that was done on technical specs for new generation of racers:

• We really do not know details of it; just outline, but a headline is one thing, making something to work is another.
  • I assume there was a lot modeling and cost estimates done on computers in Brawn's office.
  • We did not, at least I didn't, hear about any design validation through physical testing parallel to 2019 season anywhere.

What I wish they would have done:

• FiA / Liberty purchased end of 2018 a racer, three identical make engines, and had an agreement with representative tracks to be able perform on track intensive testing. At any race off hours when race cars were in the garage, track could have been made available for such testing, simulating February practice. A racer sitting on sidelines was hired for development testing.
  • Research group engaged in prototyping supported financially and physically by other teams. (Vested interest in good product is obvious).
  • Test on some track various configurations until full optimization.
  • Wrote, present, and defend their research in form of draft specs before teams.
  • Finalized specs with some space for teams to shine on their own.

Sounds expensive? You bet, however if one takes into consideration that this change is intended to be raced next 10 years, then cost will be shown in different light. We should not forget, that several racers, Vettel and Hamilton among them, expressed doubts that racing will improve with direction Brawn was taking. Does Brawn knows better than those guys? I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:
  • We did not, at least I didn't, hear about any design validation through physical testing parallel to 2019 season anywhere.

Liberty bought a wind tunnel sometime back in late 2017 as I remember. I believe They've been doing physical tests for quite some time now... here..

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

We should not forget, that several racers, Vettel and Hamilton among them, expressed doubts that racing will improve with direction Brawn was taking. Does Brawn knows better than those guys? I doubt it.

I can bet my money that he Does.

Drivers are talking from their personal experience, which is what it is, and we need to respect that. Brawn has seen the sport from a lot of different roles that he has played with different teams during his life time. He has seen the game from the top to assess how to make F1 competitive AND cost effective, and he's not wrong in taking the steps that he is taking. I believe that Liberty is taking the right steps with him being involved.

It was Mr. Ecclestone who said long time ago, that Brawn actually did not design himself anything of value. He had a team to do it for him - maybe under his coordination, but that's all. Brawn was good strategist on a pit-wall, he did let people create and work (as a good manager) at their best after Honda left, but him design a car? Even now he has hired people to do that job and they are working in his offices.

Ecclestone surely knows a thing or two, because he had seen a thing or two.

BTW, how many laps Ross raced in a modern racer to speak authoritatively what works and what doesn't in critical situations? Exactly zero.

Wind tunnel is the answer? Don't make me laugh. Ever heard about mis-calibrated wind tunnel? (Ferrari has taken what - 3 years before they figured that out?) You can find the error only when your data on the rig significantly and systematically differ from data acquisitioned in track testing. That's how Honda found later they have such problem on their dynamo.

Moreover, how do you determine cars can follow and overtake, unless you have drivers actively performing the manoeuvre? Teams, all those years, and with all those modern gadgets, are striving to develop a unique racer which would smash competition, yet some came close, but no cigar. Most of the time they managed to destroy their tires before they could overtake, usually in one or two spots on any track.

That's not racing we (I?) want to see.  

Interview with Wolff

Sport is not the main act. Well said, however wasn't this obvious from day one?

“There are sides of the sport that I question and, at times, the sport itself became background music and not the main act anymore.

Ecclestone, speaking with RTL put away - again - Brawn's mystic. :lol:

“Michael’s situation with Ferrari was a little bit different,” he explained. “I once said to him, ‘who’s running the team?’ He said ‘I am.’ That’s probably the truth why they’re so successful.

Binotto got credit as a supper engineer (professional), but that's where it ended. The fact that he is with Ferrari long time (it was said 20 years), attest to it.

Date 2020.05.25   Time 5:45 (UTC)

Ecclestone: Ferrari doesn’t have a true leader

What's missing Mr. E? Someone who is loud, obnoxious, bloated with hot air, overwhelmed with self importance as an indispensable human being (as some TPs strike me these days)? A type of a leader who has a gun and knows how to use it when pillaging foreign lands? Is that's what is missing? Back to this article, once you take a first step, it would be nice to finish it, and explain, what Binotto has or hasn't done, and what he could have done which was "much better".

Being quiet, reserved, authoritative and competent in something other than talking is not a crime. Not yet.