Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

B4 his move to Merc?

Actually both, in my recollection. Concerns were about him being dumped into very much different environment from Ferrari, and that will not end up well. Some snotty English technical staff conducted undeclared hostilities towards him from day one. This all was in print. Since I was, and still am a fan of Michael, I did follow those kind of news. Today I am just tired of it.

40 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I have to be careful with my response. It should not be surprise to those around me, that I am not an admirer of Allison. Based on publicly available bits and pieces of information, explicit or implied, and observing his impact over several years on products under his care, I think he was overrated and not as good as media tried to portrayed him.

I think the move might mean following two things. He is demoted without stating so, and he will fade into background, or, he was moved aside for reasons stated (not a big loss), and he will be groomed on organisation side as potential replacement of Wolff. Maybe he will be better there (however I doubt that too; probably another Binotto).

Do you remember just a few weeks back we had this discussion already, and I've told you that car was basically brainchild of people before Allison has taken his job. He was riding somebody else's coctails. It is only now when specs were changed, and as at Ferrari, this year car has suddenly issues. It is his baby. So much for that.

We have to wait, what this all means. There is no other way. We know Torger wanted out of this daily grind, but for some reason he was convinced to stay. I was always wondering what actually went on in that room which ended him saying OK, I stay.

"Retaining Allison in a senior leadership role could be viewed as part of a wider master plan to prepare him for the possibility of becoming team principal in the future when Wolff eventually decides the time is right to stand aside."

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/974911/1/what-allison-s-evolutionary-f1-role-swap-means-mercedes

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

"Retaining Allison in a senior leadership role could be viewed as part of a wider master plan to prepare him for the possibility of becoming team principal in the future when Wolff eventually decides the time is right to stand aside."

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/974911/1/what-allison-s-evolutionary-f1-role-swap-means-mercedes

Well, we will find out. Right now his new role sort of vague. As in my earlier (above) post, I thought too he might be groomed for taking Wolff's position, and I am sure English media are trying to put best face on it, but there are some discrepancies in that potential promotion I've noticed.

Forgot where, but in one article Allison claimed he needs and wants rest, which is why he is stepping away from his current role. Well OK, but if he wants Wolff's job, I am not sure how restive that role is. Second thing which seems out of place in his path to TP role, if he wants to be groomed as Torger's successor, he needs to be attached to Wolff's side, tagging alone with him day and night. Being closed somewhere back in the basement office and claim you are learning to be a leader is funny way to do it. So I don't know what's with him.

There is a job opening however. When time comes to replace current PU with new generation (in 4 years?), that should be planned right now. I thought however that job should go to Cowell, not Allison, so I still don't know what's going on. Allison is an aero guy; Cowell is needed back. Admittedly there is the job focused on scaling back current operations to compliance with new rules. That function requires certain know-how, but I would say you need to be ready for it. There is no learning period. (You have to be fully "groomed" for it already).

If nothin changes, 
nothin changes

Just wear a different cap,
with a different title
> Nothin changes

A fish IS a fish - whatever U call it
> a fish WITHOUT eyes IS a
fsh

Can U see ? !!

18 hours ago, Sakae said:

Well, we will find out. Right now his new role sort of vague. As in my earlier (above) post, I thought too he might be groomed for taking Wolff's position, and I am sure English media are trying to put best face on it, but there are some discrepancies in that potential promotion I've noticed.

Forgot where, but in one article Allison claimed he needs and wants rest, which is why he is stepping away from his current role. Well OK, but if he wants Wolff's job, I am not sure how restive that role is. Second thing which seems out of place in his path to TP role, if he wants to be groomed as Torger's successor, he needs to be attached to Wolff's side, tagging alone with him day and night. Being closed somewhere back in the basement office and claim you are learning to be a leader is funny way to do it. So I don't know what's with him.

There is a job opening however. When time comes to replace current PU with new generation (in 4 years?), that should be planned right now. I thought however that job should go to Cowell, not Allison, so I still don't know what's going on. Allison is an aero guy; Cowell is needed back. Admittedly there is the job focused on scaling back current operations to compliance with new rules. That function requires certain know-how, but I would say you need to be ready for it. There is no learning period. (You have to be fully "groomed" for it already).

some more analysis...

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-mercedes-major-f1-technical-department-reshuffle-means/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Today-On-The-Race&utm_campaign=Campaign-2021-04-09&vgo_ee=Nm7rf6A%2FJb9y9AmP42aWVUzkASpiHornD%2Fz2wZTd1jg%3D

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Well, I don't know, but I have seen this movie once before, when Sergio Marchionne has done almost exactly the same with him and about same words of explanation. I also do recall how it ended. (Not well, seeing his car on the track, just if you wonder..) If you like him, there is no harm to see this move positively.

I am however more attracted to people who have proven their authentic results of their own (like Andreas Seidl) behind them. I am not sure what will happen to AS at McLaren (I don't trust that organisation much as being reliable partner),  but that's the guy I would like on my team.

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

A lot of self-patting on shoulders. I am not too impressed. Fact remains, as I understand it, fundamentals to recent success of MB were laid as foundation in 2010 onwards. Blood and tears were commonplace long before any one current names were known to anyone. One needs to realise there weren't any significant changes of specs, until now. Allison and alike had to make just sure they will not screw up what Brawn & Co. laid out for them many years ago. MB actually worked on h-engines for road cars well before Cowell got involved. (So was Honda apparently; MB succeeded, Honda as well, but about 10 years later). 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

recent success of MB were laid as foundation in 2010 onwards

Whilst I agree with this theory, and idea.
However there is a BIG inconsistency for any realisin.
The rules 

Koles on MB, Wolff, Stroll and much more.

“The structures [at MB] were all established by Ross Brawn,” 

Exactly. Confirmed someone who know. Check.

I am not very fond of Mr. Koles, never had been, but he said - per article - a lot of things I do agree with. He also confirms my dark "fears" that Seb might have committed a mistake after all by signing for AM. I am not fearing Wolff, but the owner, who is in for i) son's fame, and ii) making money. Sport factor was set aside by many people long time ago when CVC and alike got foot between door.-

Maybe he should.

I didn't know Russel is that much arrogant and unplesant. 

On lap 34 of the Emilia-Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix, Russell was eyeing a move on the Mercedes of Valterri Bottas. Spooked by a defence into the break zone, Russell's tyres dipped into a wetter part of the track, pitching his Williams into the Mercedes, and ending their races in a massive crash, bringing out the red flags.

Immediately afterwards, Russell went over to Bottas’ car and began to reprimand him. (WTH)

Russel's head is growing in size. Especially after he was names into driver's association. He speaks maybe a tad too much.

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Maybe he should.

I didn't know Russel is that much arrogant and unplesant. 

Russel's head is growing in size. Especially after he was names into driver's association. He speaks maybe a tad too much.

He feels self-entitled to have that Merc seat. His frustration is boiling over. I think he knew he's been had (took it away from him) with not winning that race.

23 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

He feels self-entitled to have that Merc seat. His frustration is boiling over. I think he knew he's been had (took it away from him) with not winning that race.

How many UK drivers we need in the F1 at the expenses of other nationalities?

Callum Ilott, who many believed deserved a Formula 1 drive this year, has been appointed Alfa Romeo reserve driver with Ferrari Driver Academy support.

I am not sure what Haas will do with their line up, but there is push at home to hire an American driver (Herta?). If I am not mistaken, both current drivers have two years contracts. If the German team like MB will be filling up their seats under pressure only by British drivers, then German representation might be out of the F1. Hulk is getting old, Seb has his own issues, and Schumacher at Haas is going exactly nowhere with that team. Changes are really desired IMO anyway.

On 4/28/2021 at 10:19 AM, Sakae said:

How many UK drivers we need in the F1 at the expenses of other nationalities?

So true Sakae

This Callum guy kept Kimi quite... honest. Impressive

I think it is question of having opportunities. Maybe there are some other (non UK) drivers who would like to drive this afternoon with some equal hope of having racing career.

So, why don't we see them on the grid?

Just a thought...

GROSJEAN TO DRIVE MERCEDES W10 AT FRENCH GRAND PRIX

Just a gesture, but nice one. Torger is a good guy after all.

Romain Grosjean will complete a demo run of the 2019 world championship-winning Mercedes W10 over the French Grand Prix weekend in June.

Could be very effective PR.

At some point, I had more respect for Romain,, Probably more than I had for Bottas on his best days.. Romain was fierce and did well in the junior series,,

What if its being done to check how grojean is, so that maybe they can replace bottas with him for the next season, long shot, but,,, what if..

Mercedes announces plans to sell F1 team

Article To news overview © Mercedes Mercedes' parent company Daimler have put their stake in the Mercedes Formula 1 team up for sale. A recently published investor's report has revealed that a decision was made by the Daimler Group in late December 2020 to sell their interests in the Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix F1 team. As of 2021, Daimler have reduced their stake in the Formula 1 team to 33%. Their stake had been 60% until 2020, reduced for this year as Toto Wolff increased his personal stake to 33%. The other 33% is owned by Sir Jim Radcliffe's INEOS petrochemicals company. That three way equal split now looks set for change, as a result of Daimler wishing to shed their stake.

Date 2021.05.19   Time 10:32 (UTC)

I believe this is more than just idle speculation. Team ownership was always a subject of internal controversy. Not all shareholders were happy about F1, and I think Covid-economy slump was the final straw.  First sign that not all is going well as some (intended calming) rhetoric suggested, was selling of team's ownership shares. I have always thought that MB wants full control, or nothing, and reducing their voice to 1/3 of full control indicated something is on behind the scenes.

Voices were heard from MB' insiders wanting leadership to follow BMW path, as global markets for years working well, suddenly for past 5 years were badly damaged by combination of Force Majeure, and hostile politics. Then, there is push for new approach in vision of green world requiring technology shift. Laws are on the books already. In addition, I have no doubt that F1 paddock politics played by some made a lot of people in Stuttgart sick. This is all speculation on my part, but I would be really surprised if MB will stay a minute longer after a buyer is available in this what's now seems really toxic environment. BMW had made their move long time ago, Honda is tapering off, and MB is next in line. I am really sorry, because formation of pure manufacturing series was always my dream, but it was not meant to be. Not at the moment.

Future of motoring is here?

Well, I am not sure. For me this is still transitional technology. Producing electricity is killing green vision maybe more than hybrids do. I am still stuck on hydrogen as source we should be shooting for.

Date 2021.05.22   Time 9:10 (UTC)

Daimler not selling more of F1 team

Latest - we (Daimler) will keep 1/3 ownership. Internal organisation is being negotiated between partners.

Very confusing initial publicity; probably due to initial statement that team is for sale, and their shares were held under lock.

Hard to say where this is leading into. In my own opinion sale will ultimately happen when conditions are right. I am in serious doubt MB will play second fiddle to a chemical company. I think what happened is there was no possibility to finalise sale at the moment, so, they wait until a buyer is available.