Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team

For Silver Arrows car looks odd in black, but overall it seems well coordinated. Raises fear in rivals. MB had about 10 years to improve step by step and get here, so, no surprises.

13 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/760390/8216Grumpy_Hamilton_not_superhappy_with_contract_talks8217/

He does look grumpy does'nt he. All the pics I see latelly of Hamilton he has that... look

I thought he always look that way.

I think it would bring into F1 new dynamics, if MB ends up with new drivers line up next year.

Is Allison really that good? I am sure my friends in here do think so, but I don't. He owns IMHO failed project at Ferrari when leadership gave him over a year free hand, and protected him from daily rash pressure, so he could concentrate and produce a winner. His car was dud, and until today I think he has left Ferrari (admittedly under rather unfortunate circumstances) before he got fired. At MB I think he sat long time on success, harvesting fruits of his predecessors. Now there is really significant change in specs, and MB has aero problems. Who is the man behind it?  It's his problem (again).

MB is a place to watch how they will resolve that issue with rake. AM probably will face similar challenge. Some opinions on the web making claims that rake has nothing to do with show during testing. Interesting. If that's so, what's then  problem?

The best aero man on the job, new Newey so to speak, rumour has it, is James Key. Some are going even so far, marking Newey as a "spent force". Well, we will see soon; in a week or so. Fact is, MB and AM are on display, measured against RBR, and there will be a lot to talk about before end of this month. 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Is Allison really that good? I am sure my friends in here do think so, but I don't. He owns IMHO failed project at Ferrari when leadership gave him over a year free hand, and protected him from daily rash pressure, so he could concentrate and produce winner. His car was a dud, and until today I think he has left Ferrari (admittedly under rather unfortunate circumstances) before he got fired. At MB I think he sat long time on success, harvesting fruits of his predecessors. Now there is really significant change in specs, and MB has aero problems. Who is the man behind it?  It's his problem (again).

MB is a place to watch how they will resolve that issue with rake. AM probably will face similar challenge.

Brits are promoting again one of their own as the best aero man on the job, new Newey so to speak, and his name is James Key. Some are going even so far, marking Newey as a "spent force". Well, we will see soon; in a week or so. Fact is, MB and AM are on display, measured against RBR, and there will be a lot to talk about before end of this month. 

I honestly think he's.. that good

I read the opposite. At Ferrari he did not have free reign. He resigned with immediate effect after his wife's passing. That's why MB scooped him up... immediately

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/allison-ferrari-heritage-a-burden-causing-f1-team-to-be-led-astray-4981045/4981045/

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-faces-f1-turmoil-as-james-allison-leaves-with-immediate-effect/3221247/

Ferrari is their own worse enemy, right from inside themselves

Well, I don't expect we will agree on everything Brad, and this seems to be probably one of those occasions. I have special relationship with Canada. Lived there for bunch of years, actually in the same town where he had a family house, and in my recollection Marchionne in one of those "home/Canadian" interviews was grilled about Ferrari's design. From that specific interview I recall him talking about absolute and top freedom Allison had over design, whilst shielded from operational day-to-day issues.

Car under his management was a dud IMO regardless what anyone thinks about it. Data do not lie. 2016 was not a good year.

I would ignore opinion by UK media. Negative bias against anything made in EU, especially Ferrari, and overly fluffy rhetoric at the opposite end precludes me to take them seriously. Historical data is a better source.   

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Well, I don't expect we will agree on everything Brad, and this seems to be probably one of those occasions. I have special relationship with Canada. Lived there for bunch of years, actually in the same town where he had a family house, and in my recollection Marchionne in one of those "home/Canadian" interviews was grilled about Ferrari's design. From that specific interview I recall him talking about absolute and top freedom Allison had over design, whilst shielded from operational day-to-day issues.

Car under his management was a dud IMO regardless what anyone thinks about it. Data do not lie. 2016 was not a good year.

I would ignore opinion by UK media. Negative bias against anything made in EU, especially Ferrari, and overly fluffy rhetoric at the opposite end precludes me to take them seriously. Historical data is a better source.   

That would make it 1 car in an illustrious career of 20+ years?

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

That would make it 1 car in an illustrious career of 20+ years?

That many? Totally unexpected on my part.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

You made me look this up. According to grandprix247 <-------"yeah I know but they've gotten better",

Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt reports: “Returning to England is certainly one of the reasons for the separation.“But there are also claims that Marchionne could not cope with Allison, because the Briton spoke his mind and refused to be dictated unreasonable targets in contrast to his (Allison’s) 25 years of motor sport experience,” he added."

https://www.grandprix247.com/2016/07/28/allison-left-ferrari-after-fall-out-with-marchionne/

I faintly remember this news few years ago.

Might, which I don't believe, be a mixture of both.

Speaking about unreasonable targets, where did I hear the same just recently. Just where...hmmm.

There are many stories about Allison.

17 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Speaking about unreasonable targets, where did I hear the same just recently. Just where...hmmm.

There are many stories about Allison.

Let's wait on the season opener for this

‘I Was Pretty Angry’: Bottas Reveals He Almost Retired Following Mercedes Team Orders

Valtteri Bottas said he considered “giving up” after the incident in 2018.

Really? I seems to remember we were told there is no such thing as team orders at MB. I am confused (not).

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Really? I seems to remember we were told there is no such thing as team orders at MB. I am confused (not).

Yes, very revealing. But then... despite noises from MB that it is NOT so, we knew did'nt we.

I think Bottas knows his time is up too

I cannot say all teams have done it in one time or another, but we were assured by former or current drivers, that such practice exists in many teams, be it RBR, MB, Ferrari, McLaren, Williams...to name a few. At Williams, despite stone faced denials, it was Hill, who has contradicted owners.

‘Something going on’ at Mercedes – Chandhok

That's it! Nothing more. This headline is replacing news.

Does anyone has more about this topic?

I for one think it's highest time for season cannot start soon enough to stop the madness.

Here 

Something to think about.

Jacques Villeneuve:

He also claimed that Hamilton “wanted to work less and less, and get paid more and more” – and that’s potentially what held up his contract negotiations with the Silver Arrows.

“Mercedes may have received its ultimate media backlash; winning again with or without Lewis doesn’t do much,” Villeneuve said.

“Having Lewis in the car, yes, it brings them a lot but we’re more in a position where it’s Lewis’ image that’s growing and not Mercedes’ image that seems to be growing. That’s the perception.

I might be isolated with this, but in the room full of diverging thoughts, I think MB has done mistake keeping this driver on for so long, and definitely he should have been let go this year. British media building his frame into something only we read and tell about in stories for children, whereas a car is added only as afterthought. For a driver who contributes about 20%, surely something is out of proportions.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Something to think about.

Jacques Villeneuve:

I might be isolated with this, but in the room full of diverging thoughts, I think MB has done mistake keeping this driver on for so long, and definitely he should have been let go this year. British media building his frame into something only we read and tell about in stories for children, whereas a car is added only as afterthought. For a driver who contributes about 20%, surely something is out of proportions.

I think keeping him for another year is more out of respect. So he can look around if he wants to. Apparently, according to some guy from gpblog, Ferrari was being very "respectful" with their announcement to Vettel late 2019. I don't side on that view, I find it ridiculous not considering team dynamics and what it actually does to the driver.

It took Russel stand-in to shatter the misconception of the great sir Lewis Hamilton achievements. That it is basicaly down to a very... dominant car, designed by a competent/brilliant engineering team

Jacques Villeneuve believes that Lewis Hamilton’s habitual winning with Mercedes is an image that no longer brings PR value to the German Formula 1 team.

I don't agree with Jacques too often, but I do on this topic. Enough of one driver, and it is MB who needs to step forward.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Enough of one driver, and it is MB who needs to step forward

The great MSC started the Mercedes revolution, after decidin 2 step away from Ferrari.
Though unfortunately not in a position 2 achieve 4 Mercedes.

The seven-time world champion reiterates that Mercedes do not have the quickest car going into the season-opener at the Bahrain International Circuit which begins on Friday.

Fact or pre-emptive excuse?

Schumacher remebered (not by LH)

He then made a 2010 comeback to spearhead Mercedes’ return to F1, helping lay the foundations for the marque that is currently vying for its eighth successive year of sweeping the drivers’ and constructors’ titles.

Better late than never.

49 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I believe that. Schumie retired a year too early

Some say he shouldn't come out from retirement at all.