Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team

For sale?

This rumor might not be too far from the truth. How many times we have singled out small things that were pointing into that direction?

- New boss (not as enthusiastic into F1 as his predecessor)

- Auto market is down

- Hamilton allegedly asked for 60 MM per season? No kidding.

It is hard to imagine but Daimler Group, the parent company of Mercedes, has already indicated that the Mercedes F1 project is no longer so profitable. In addition, as a marketing tool it has also lost a lot of strength.

It's not hard to imagine that at all! That's normal, when news is, that your trophy team didn't win a race, and wining turns into big yawn. Victims of their own success? What an empty sounding cliche, but so apt in this situation. There is another problem, namely, who has money to buy it? Another actor from FIRE economy perhaps? 

- but -

Sale of the team is not yet confirmed.

The rumor about Mercedes leaving as a team is not loosing any strength. On the contrary. Apparently ill relationship between Wolff and Källenius regarding direction of technology seems growing. Automakers look for innovations in renewable energy, whereas F1 - where Wolff live - is not.

I doubt low cost series will save it from extinctions. Fans aren't interested in how much it cost. Fans want to see something not available anywhere else - it's called uniqueness. Back in history Americans killed luxury Packard when it lost its uniqueness (expensive and available only to a few), British killed just about everything else, and now this. Good riddance.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Any news - selling, not selling... 

Huh, this sounds juicy.

Rumour: 'Wolff and Stroll want to take over Mercedes F1 together'

I will be d**** if I understand what those two are up to. This "bromance" thing seems little overcooked. Buying Racing Point first, now buying (ex)Mercedes, so, what's next? Which team is left and who owns what? Moving money around in smart way is not my strong suit, and I need someone to explain this back and forth dance in very plain language. 

Here...

Philip Van Osten:

Auto Bild and F1 Insider are claiming that the future of Mercedes in Formula 1 beyond the 2020 season is currently being debated behind closed doors at Daimler.

The reports suggest that Wolff will resign as the Brackley squad's team boss before the 2020 gets underway in Austria in July

Sakae

Re:  explain this back and forth dance in very plain language  
Increasing share price and value.
LOTS of shares bought sending false signals to the market.  In life if somebody wants somethin suddenly the price increases.
Increasing the value of the shares
It also creates awareness 2 the brand - LOT`S of shares have been bought in xx brand awares of brand xx increases, in turn so does share price / the value

Err thanks for that, but I was rather thinking about this messy signal (maybe its not messy); here you have two guys, two teams, and now what? Will Racing Point continue as a junior team, and exMercedes will be renamed and it will be their first tier team? They want to reassign shares which are now in RP bank....

Maybe I wait for a team to issue official press statement.   

Date 2020.05.29   Time 5:29 (UTC)

I wanted a statement from a team. Well they heard me, and response came swiftly in less than 24 hrs.

In response, Daimler have released a statement rubbishing the claims.

“Speculation regarding a potential withdrawal from Formula 1 continues to be unfounded and irresponsible,” it read. “The sport has taken the right measures to address the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic and its future financial sustainability, and we welcome these steps.

“It is our clear intention to continue competing in Formula 1 as a Mercedes-Benz works team in the years to come, and to do so with our managing partner Toto Wolff.”

This doesn't mean Wolff will stay, and continue with this nomadic (stressful) life. He might want to take easy and choose different direction at this point of his life. Nothing is finalized until all is confirmed also by him. 

Date 2020.06.05   Time 12:56 (UTC)

In German media Wolff confirmed forthcoming unspecified changes at Mercedes F1 organization, including potentially his own new position in that team. Since all is behind the closed doors, no one on the outside really can know much more. 

Date 2020.06.06   Time 7:06 (UTC)

I should start with admission, that I have nothing against Wolff. Very seldom, if ever (well, maybe once or twice) he angered me for how he mistreated Hamilton's teammates. Today however I want to talk about something else, namely, his business. We are reading about him investing money here and there, and as it happened, all in F1 frame. Aren't there some anti-competitive laws which should prevent him from doing so? How the hek he can be affiliated with Mercedes, and invest in competing Racing Point, or in Williams? I was already scratching my head when Dietrich Mateschitz purchased Minardi and turned that team into his drivers development farm. In my mind that was outrages, yet looks like I am the only one who is not on board with it, and now this Stroll / Wolff, Stroll - son, ... WT*? Poor anyone stepping into claws of new style, money oriented, "management". This is suppose to be a sporting arena, and not a playground for FIRE actors.

If you look what (damage) regulatory and commercial organs have inflicted upon F1 allowing this kind of commercial trickery, add downright obscene and degenerate rule book, in totality this can make an old man cry. Are we all so brainwashed that we don's see it anymore and demand better?

Date 2020.06.07   Time 6:48 (UTC)

Wolff:

I think all engine suppliers are now at about the same level".

Is he implying aero will rule? Testing in Feb raised more questions (like where is Ferrari), and supplied very few answers. Cars will be coming out from containers with very few, or no changes to them because of lack of testing. First race might be very interesting for some people, if the setup gets messed up. Setup data from last season might be copied to the dot.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.06.07   Time 6:48 (UTC)

Wolff:

Is he implying aero will rule? 

I think that U have limited assessment abilities, not following with the flow of F1
Previous attempts were made though became staggered.  Consistent with this season, which has also become staggered.
By suggesting that PU are about on the same level.  Y do U instantly assume his conclusion is that aero will rule ?
That is old skool thinking.  Remember when Bernie were in charge, he attempted to widen possibilities,  could this statement reflect
those attempted possibilities and refer to something that will be more likely to have an influence on this nontraditional season.
Strategy is the key to this nontraditional season, with a huge number of unknown`s.     

3 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

I think that U have limited assessment abilities, not following with the flow of F1
Previous attempts were made though became staggered.  Consistent with this season, which has also become staggered.
By suggesting that PU are about on the same level.  Y do U instantly assume his conclusion is that aero will rule ?
That is old skool thinking.  Remember when Bernie were in charge, he attempted to widen possibilities,  could this statement reflect
those attempted possibilities and refer to something that will be more likely to have an influence on this nontraditional season.
Strategy is the key to this nontraditional season, with a huge number of unknown`s.     

Thanks Lord for having you in here to explain it to us how it works. 

10 minutes ago, Sakae said:

how it works. 

> U put a number of cars manufactured by different organisations, all with different drivers on a race track.
The lights go out, and they race - the best combination WINS 

That IS how it works 

Then REPEAT somewhere else, on a different track.
That IS how U HAVE a championship 

Repeat  in a different country 
Then U HAVE a WORLD championship 

On 28/05/2020 at 7:25 PM, Sakae said:

Will Racing Point continue as a junior team, and exMercedes will be renamed and it will be their first tier team? They want to reassign shares which are now in RP bank....

Maybe I wait for a team to issue official press statement.   

Without confusing things
It seems logical that Mercedes R gettin in bed with RP as a junior team, for an anticipated exit.

Though Mclaren WERE the original Mercedes works team but, Ron would NOT sell out. 
In turn Mercedes bought Brawn GP and made THAT the works team.  Ron got in bed with Honda bringing Honda BACK.
But the Honda project were NOT as successful as hoped - Mclaren turned 2 Renault for stability, and to entice Alonso. 

Mclaren powered by Renault achieved best of the rest.
With that beating the Renault works team.

Mclaren R returning 2 B a Mercedes customer, NEXT season 2021.  

If Mercedes remain in F1 as a team. 
Mclaren powered by Mercedes COULD beat the works Mercedes team - that would NOT B very good PR for Mercedes.

Mclaren`s 2020 performance - powered by Renault - probably could decide what Mercedes actually do

On 6/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, Sakae said:

Date 2020.06.06   Time 7:06 (UTC)

I should start with admission, that I have nothing against Wolff. Very seldom, if ever (well, maybe once or twice) he angered me for how he mistreated Hamilton's teammates. Today however I want to talk about something else, namely, his business. We are reading about him investing money here and there, and as it happened, all in F1 frame. Aren't there some anti-competitive laws which should prevent him from doing so? How the heck he can be affiliated with Mercedes, and invest in competing Racing Point, or in Williams? I was already scratching my head when Dietrich Mateschitz purchased Minardi and turned that team into his drivers development farm. In my mind that was outrages, yet looks like I am the only one who is not on board with it, and now this Stroll / Wolff, Stroll - son, ... WT*? Poor anyone stepping into claws of new style, money oriented, "management". This is suppose to be a sporting arena, and not a playground for FIRE actors.

If you look what (damage) regulatory and commercial organs have inflicted upon F1 allowing this kind of commercial trickery, add downright obscene and degenerate rule book, in totality this can make an old man cry. Are we all so brainwashed that we don's see it anymore and demand better?

Yes How?

He seems to be quite a major player on the negotiating table. Maybe he's making use of sum loophole.

Beats me...

On 6/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, BradSpeedMan said:

Yes How?

He seems to be quite a major player on the negotiating table. Maybe he's making use of sum loophole.

Beats me...

It's problem with anti-competitiveness.  / (perceived) conflict of interest.

Date 2020.06.10   Time 15:29 (UTC)

Despite all recent assurances from Mercedes brass, rumors aren't dying down they are stepping down after this season. I am not sure who in German media originated this account, but despite general alignment with thrust to reduce cost, there are some friction points reported as follows. (I am just summarizing main points as I understand it).

• Budget cuts (fine), however Liberty / FiA went too far, and that's seems not going down well (potential for damage to image due to fielding poor product).
  • Building totally new car requiring new outlay of funds. Funny way to save money in post pandemic economy. Some people in F1 simply lacking any situational awareness. 
  • General technical direction sport is taking. Germany has allocated large sums of money to support research and development of new energy sources, something automakers in F1 cannot ignore. Hydrogen is a key term on the top of heap. On a seminar I've attended with automakers about 15 years ago in Mexico, hydrogen as future energy sources was already then on the top (sky is a limit).
  • I think return to Normally Aspirated Engines just to please a few players might be not really realistic to keep many other serious players interested. Mercedes next to Ferrari in luxury car market has also BMW and VW to think about in real life. 
  • F1 might be one day racing merely in UK, Asia and US, but not in continental Europe, where thrust for carbon footprint on downward slope is in effect, and no racing track will get license at some point in the future to operate with series full of smoking engines. That's safe bet.
  • Renewal of driver's contracts is on hold (no negotiations in progress). That's not normal way how Mercedes conducts usually their business.  

If Mercedes intents to keep us in suspense, it's working.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

That obviously is NOT the Mercedes plan.
The Mercedes plan IS 2, wait and C
The Mercedes situation,and the difficulties that Honda have had in seriously establishing themselves in F1. 
Has ALLOWED smaller organizations the opportunity to, hopefully join the party - Aston Martin specifically
Nice of U 2 inform us Sakae that U wear suspenders - personal choice.

13 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.06.10   Time 15:29 (UTC)

Despite all recent assurances from Mercedes brass, rumors aren't dying down they are stepping down after this season. I am not sure who in German media originated this account, but despite general alignment with thrust to reduce cost, there are some friction points reported as follows. (I am just summarizing main points as I understand it).

• Budget cuts (fine), however Liberty / FiA went too far, and that's seems not going down well (potential for damage to image due to fielding poor product).
  • Building totally new car requiring new outlay of funds. Funny way to save money in post pandemic economy. Some people in F1 simply lacking any situational awareness. 
  • General technical direction sport is taking. Germany has allocated large sums of money to support research and development of new energy sources, something automakers in F1 cannot ignore. Hydrogen is a key term on the top of heap. On a seminar I've attended with automakers about 15 years ago in Mexico, hydrogen as future energy sources was already then on the top (sky is a limit).
  • I think return to Normally Aspirated Engines just to please a few players might be not really realistic to keep many other serious players interested. Mercedes next to Ferrari in luxury car market has also BMW and VW to think about in real life. 
  • F1 might be one day racing merely in UK, Asia and US, but not in continental Europe, where thrust for carbon footprint on downward slope is in effect, and no racing track will get license at some point in the future to operate with series full of smoking engines. That's safe bet.
  • Renewal of driver's contracts is on hold (no negotiations in progress). That's not normal way how Mercedes conducts usually their business.  

9 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

That obviously is NOT the Mercedes plan.
The Mercedes plan IS 2, wait and C
The Mercedes situation,and the difficulties that Honda have had in seriously establishing themselves in F1. 
Has ALLOWED smaller organizations the opportunity to, hopefully join the party - Aston Martin specifically
Nice of U 2 inform us Sakae that U wear suspenders - personal choice.

Thats quite funny, you have to admit.. heheheheh

I'am not sure about the funny part, however I am rather annoyed over this proposition that Mercedes would be concerned about rise of Honda, and might choose to "run away". It's the same group which suggested that Renault (engine) run away scare of Honda, the same group which suggested BMW run away for being a weak team, the same group which suggested Vettel run away from Ricciardo, and they are now starting the same nonsense with Mercedes. The "run away" strategy is some kind of mantra with them. Must be something unhealthy in water those people drink, making them incapable to understand, that people do change their minds, and it's quite normal  to do so. Sure, it's easier to make a flippant remark than conduct conversation about situational dynamism and predicament Mercedes is finding themselves today.

Date 2020.06.13   Time 13:57 (UTC)

Mercedes F1 future is secure - Wolff

“The top management at Mercedes very much sees Formula 1 as a core activity – we build road cars and we build race cars – and actually the first ever car was a race car. And in that respect we don’t see it simply as a marketing platform that generates valuable marketing dollars but we see it as a co-exercise. There is a technology transfer between the road and Formula 1 and it’s not being criticized within Daimler.

First car - i've been in that museum, seen it...a lot of history behind it. I've enjoyed that visit. Looks like with respect to philosophy linking race cars with commuter machines is very much aligned with Ferrari. A lot of inventions on the race cars was adopted for daily travel.

"I hate any kind of balance of performance. It becomes a political game and a political world championship and has no place in Formula 1."

Spot on. Unfortunately there are some people in F1 today, who do not get it.

Date 2020.06.15   Time 17:26 (UTC)

Cowell will be leaving Mercedes engine division. I gather it has to be most likely his decision, since Mercedes is committed supplying engines in the new commercial cycle, and I cannot fathom out from many why exactly him would be on a chopping block. I wonder who procured his services. (Cosworth?)

58 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.06.15   Time 17:26 (UTC)

I cannot phantom from many why exactly him would be on a chopping block. I wonder who bought his services. (Cosworth?)

Did someone call the....

phantom.png

OK, it was my mistake and it's corrected (I think). Good to know how little makes you happy.