Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Event 3 in Hungary (2020)

Will it happen despite some noise about this particular event could be cancelled?

Is Ferrari facing Annus horribilis, or will turn this into  Annus mirabilis

Stay tuned.

I have to admit, I actually really like having 2x back to back races at one track. I hope they consider this as a full time thing. Imagine having 2x back to back Spas, or back to back Barcelona GPs. I'd love it.

Plus it saves costs too.

Not sure on the Hungary thing. Maybe their Govt steps in and sorts it out.

4 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

I have to admit, I actually really like having 2x back to back races at one track.

Its not all too bad you know... probably race the track in reverse on the 2nd go, that would be fun to watch...

Hungaroring topology is not among my favorites, however some drivers do like it. Drivers have to work through the race for the coin they earn. I forgot number of gear changes they go through, but it is (allegedly) more than on most tracks.

I am wondering how triple-weekends of successive racing will be liked by drivers. It is probably cost effective to stay on one track, not sure about gate-purse, but what about driver's neck?

(From Wiki):

image.png.47e0f9e6a1a3cb2694dd98de2d2da55f.png

Date 2020.07.14   Time 16:58 (UTC)

Vettel requested an interview with someone from Sky (Brundle?) which was suppose to take place in Hungary. I wonder if we will hear the inevitable - I am retiring end of this season. I am having difficulty to see him accepting a seat at lower ranks teams, after the top three already said what they wanted to say. Watching paint drying could be more entertaining than him driving for Williams. Driving for Haas for a year and moving over and up in 2022 could be a last resort solution, but if it works, why not.

STOP hold it wait a minute, probably NOT as inevitable as assumed.  
Aston Martin (AM) could become an option. 
They (AM) R spending BIG to raise awareness 2 the brand, with Stroll`s million`s behind them.

Just somethin I picked up !!

Sakae, both Vettel and Brundle have hosed any talk and speculation that this interview is about Vettel retiring. I hope that is still true. Vettel is too young and definitely has more racing left in him. However I think he's drained at Ferrari. The fire is missing at the moment. That team is completely lost and I don't know how they can find their way back to the top.

I'd love to see him go back to RBR to be honest. Yes Merc would be great too, but RBR would be a better fit for him. RP at this point might be going backwards if their illegal car is ruled upon. That will mean a backwards step for that team for quite sometime I think.

Date 2020.07.15   Time 12:52 (UTC)

KM, sure, it become increasingly clear that Vettel was exploring some scenarios which are yet to be clarified and confirmed for rest of us. Had he decided to retire, I think he would have stated so already, altho he might be yet pushed into one, like it or not. He is also however on the record, that he doesn't like sabbaticals from the sport. Once you leave, you are gone, he said.

I would like to see him of course to continue, but I am not sure about the latest rumor. I have absolute distrust in that AM (to be) entity. Owners are driven to the sport to make money, a lot of money, and they aren't in for love of it, as we see in US where some owners actually subside their baseball teams for love of the game. 

This is not a case with AM. On the other hand, even if Seb would receive 1/2 Mill. per season, I guess its a decent income for the family of 5. (I think he has 3 kids now).   

Prost is predicting easy walk for Mercedes this, and next year as well. I am not sure whether this is good for popularity of the F1, but I have my doubts that this is good news for rest of us. I've always liked Alain, and due to his racing pedigree, I gather his intuitiveness is most likely fairly accurate on such predictions.   

Development on cars is frozen for next years cars. Thus after 2x races, we can all see Merc and Lewis will win this year and next. NEVER in my entire life has F1 been so predictable that you know who is going to win. We lose big time as fans.

25 minutes ago, KoolMonkey said:

Development on cars is frozen for next years cars. Thus after 2x races, we can all see Merc and Lewis will win this year and next. NEVER in my entire life has F1 been so predictable that you know who is going to win. We lose big time as fans.

This is not good news for a few teams. I am not in understanding what is F1 management getting out of this situation crippling some teams into despair.

10 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Really great to have you back KM

No worries my friend, it's nice to be conversing again. This place was pretty depressing some years ago. Esp due to our insecure little Aussie friend's insane rants.

9 minutes ago, Sakae said:

This is not good news for a few teams. I am not in understanding what is F1 management getting out of this situation crippling some teams into despair.

I don't think Liberty and Chase Carey are smart enough to see how bad F1 is with no competition. The non Merc teams see it. What can they do however with development freezes. Nothing accept wait until 2022. How pathetic is a sport if you can't test, the athletes are prevented from practising, and teams can't innovate and improve. Remind me again what we are watching?

5 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

I don't think Liberty and Chase Carey are smart enough to see how bad F1 is with no competition. The non Merc teams see it. What can they do however with development freezes. Nothing accept wait until 2022. How pathetic is a sport if you can't test, the athletes are prevented from practising, and teams can't innovate and improve. Remind me again what we are watching?

I think we are on the same page, KM. Damage regarding popularity is already inflicted, and cannot be blamed on COVID-19. This started very long time ago. Question is, whether (and when) the series can recover to its former popularity.

What we are watching? Looking ahead, I see a tip of a large submerged iceberg. Too much preoccupancy with money (who is getting it and who is not getting it), at the expenses of quality. Someone posted the other day, it's all about exposure (of decals on the car). I am not sure I agree. I do not subscribe schemes where quantity holds upper hand over quality. (In other words McDonald economy). F1 is not NASCAR. It is (or used to be) a unique series. That was the secret which made us to watch it. Quality of racing is based on genuine competition, and I do not care how much teams do spend. Global economic conditions will take care of it naturally; we need to let teams do their job, and built best car they can. I don't think they can do that right now. 

15 minutes ago, Sakae said:

and built best car they can. I don't think they can do that right now. 

F1 got 2 clever implementin rules and regs, that do NOT enable the ability to build the best cars.  
Mono construction IS the only ability.
All the cars 2 B constructed the same with, the same Mercedes PU
With Renault and now Honda the ONLY other option

I am not upset because Mercedes built a best car. Not at all. What peeves me off, that the other teams are being held down to the ground, and are not permitted (by reg.) to correct their mistakes, and innovate in order to catch and get ahead of Mercedes. I don't want IRL series, but I need to see freedom of the enterprise in the F1. I want to be surprised by colors, sounds, by speed, by skills, by it all which I cannot find anywhere else. I fear that's not on with the current F1 crowd.

Date 2020.07.17   Time 15:00 (UTC)

Looks like Ferrari still didn't had chance to properly evaluate their last set of upgrades. First crash, and today track was wet. Sunday is suppose to be dry race.

Date 2020.07.17   Time 18:29 (UTC)

Hungary FP 1 and FP 2

Whole day traffic seems entirely pointless. Perhaps F1 needs to sit down and figure out how to spend their time more effectively. Just a thought, not they will listen.

Sure, Ferrari will look slightly better on this track than in Austria probably mostly due to track topology. Weakness on straights (PU deficit) is not as transparent. There might be very few of such opportunities this year to shine, so they should make most out of it.

4 Mercedes cars in the front, then rest of them. Nice. Verstappen will be peeved off.

Wow,,, how exciting... The 3rd and the 4th car on the grid, are the pink Mercedes, and is almost a second slower then the pole...

Racing point has a good strategy in place starting on the medium... should be comfortably behind Mercedes... Sergio will finally have a shot at the podium..

Good chance for the Ferrari's, Hopefully they have some race pace to fight for the podium... Maybe some Verstappen magic would be in play...

I'm looking forward to the mid field competing for places other then the podium... 

Verstappen P7 in qualifying on Hungaroring 20.

Verstappen concerned about tricky-to-drive Red Bull

Well, when car is not there, good results might not be there as well. It seems Vettel is not alone who has found out this to be one of those simple, not big secrets in life.

113_447.jpg.5a95ee18c2bf2e7bf34f5732a2bacb30.jpg

3 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Wow,,, how exciting... The 3rd and the 4th car on the grid, are the pink Mercedes, and is almost a second slower then the pole...

Racing point has a good strategy in place starting on the medium... should be comfortably behind Mercedes... Sergio will finally have a shot at the podium..

Good chance for the Ferrari's, Hopefully they have some race pace to fight for the podium... Maybe some Verstappen magic would be in play...

I'm looking forward to the mid field competing for places other then the podium... 

I noticed that since first Race BP... not the gap, but the dominance of that Merc engine...

I could see Mattia on his knees tonight, pleading with drivers, please don't! Third row has all ingredients for beautiful crash tomorrow. Seb, Leclerc, Verstappen...all heroes are present and ready.