Clicky

Racing Point,,, 2020

Either it is an amazing piece of Pseudo doppelganger, made by a bunch of copy paste savvy team engineers...

Or a complete farce and a Copy-Gate in the making...

Reanult does have a point to prove on behalf of the rest of the field by protesting against Them... they are not crying foul without a reason...

1828387680_RPVSMERC.jpg.a1872fd4b288990f8bc8327254fd3394.jpg

Is it a coincidence that everything, up to the placement of each small bolt, is laser sharp similar to the old Mercedes.. 

Would Mercedes also be punished if RP are proved guilty for plagiarism?

Well all know the RP 20 is a copy of the Merc 19. Will Merc copy a penalty if this is shown and proven? I'd hope so. Remember this is the team that lied and tried to hide that secret tyre test all those years ago right before they started winning GPs.

Customer cars has been brought up before, but I think will harm the sport big time. We will turn in a spec series like Indy and that is simply too dull for me. Let's face it, we are here for the drivers and also the brands and cars.

Merc are guilty for sure, but will they cop any punishment is the interesting question. I'm sure RP will suffer in some way.

F1 sux. Gone are the days of Ferriar, Williams, McLaren dooking it out.

Can anyone tell me when was the last year, that you actually had no idea who was going to win both Championships? It has to be over a decade ago right? Maybe 2009 or 2010 perhaps?

7 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

F1 sux.

Hard!

7 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

Can anyone tell me when was the last year, that you actually had no idea who was going to win both Championships? It has to be over a decade ago right? Maybe 2009 or 2010 perhaps?

I think the years between 2005 to 2010 were interesting, without DRS there were some ballsy  you got to see...

Specially 2008 and 2010 they were absolute thrillers!! It was really good to see jenson take 2009.

It has become all too boring since then TBH. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.fia-to-amend-2021-regulations-to-prevent-car-copying-following-racing-point.3NzwvfKFdCsH3XrU4YCRhl.html

So Illegal it is then.. I really thought they would get away with it.. but keeping while Copy - Cat's at bay,, FIA has taken a stand on the issue and I guess its a fair call....

There's something I don't get with this whole RP saga.... Lawrence Strolls reaction. The guy seems genuinely.... LIVID!!! Like he's been hard done by...Is it cause they honestly believed they followed the rule-book.. Or is it that they got caught out. His reaction does'nt make sense... to ME

Don't know what to make of it. Await outcome of appeals

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

There's something I don't get with this whole RP saga.... Lawrence Strolls reaction. The guy seems genuinely.... LIVID!!! Like he's been hard done by...Is it cause they honestly believed they followed the rule-book.. Or is it that they got caught out. His reaction does'nt make sense... to ME

Don't know what to make of it. Await outcome of appeals

If racing point has genuinely not gotten these parts from Mercedes and made those in-house based on photographs (as they say), then Strolls Sr's reaction is justified. Because the Rule book never said anything about copying from another cars by visually looking at it... And now this rule is being enforced on RP for having done a swell job of copying last years Mercedes. Racing point is saying that, No one stopped others from copying till now, not even in the rule books, so why punish us now because you are jealous. And honestly, It is absurd you cant STOP teams from looking at each other..

If they have received data from Mercedes, then his reaction is a bluff to showcase to the world,,, so he looks like he never did anything wrong outside the rule book but is being punished.

22 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

If they have received data from Mercedes, then his reaction is a bluff to showcase to the world,,, so he looks like he never did anything wrong outside the rule book but is being punished.

Yes.. Maybe he's p**sed becoz he got ratted out by an ex-employee ànd did'nt take necessary precautions with NDA's...or something. I can't wait to see the outcome of this saga

There's no way RP copied those brake ducts just by photos alone.

The biggest issue as I understand it with any team copying another, is that they don't know why the original team has designed such a thing. Especially aero. Unlike say a high rake, the other things are then would require considerable time to figure out and quantify why something is the way it is.

Put it this way, if Merc gave RP the data and paperwork, it would actually be more valuable than the designs, as then they would have the blueprints and proper understanding of why something is designed the way it is.

Stroll is p**sed because he saw a loophole and pushed it to that grey area all teams do. Now that he's been found out, he knows it's possible their car will be slower. Thus Jr won't be winning any races soon.

If this was all a type of grey area than the FIA never properly clarrified, then kudos to RP. However I suspect it's more black and white, and the other teams have actually been following things as it was intended. F1 is already dying. Allowing customer cars will be the end.

Why would Merc assist a competitor with data and paperwork (with the Mclaren/Ferrari spygate saga one can understand the controversy and why they got penalized)... and run the risk of being toppled. Stroll has big money...This does'nt make any sense...or they think RP can't topple them, even with data share..

Unless of course, Toto is looking ahead, away from Merc, to manage Aston Martin in the near future, as the rumours suggest. 

actually, looking at the brake ducts bp posted, there ARE some slight variations.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here

Arrogance on Mercs part.

I also think Wolff in the long run will be in trouble. How can you buy shares in a competing team and then have strong links to a 3rd team. It's simply not done.

It would not surprise me to either see him leave, or be asked to leave.

Things get interesting when you add Vettel to the mix. RP changing names to AM, and then potentially having Vettel there with maybe... Wolff leading would be a pretty potent place to be.

7 minutes ago, KoolMonkey said:

Arrogance on Mercs part.

I also think Wolff in the long run will be in trouble. How can you buy shares in a competing team and then have strong links to a 3rd team. It's simply not done.

It would not surprise me to either see him leave, or be asked to leave.

Things get interesting when you add Vettel to the mix. RP changing names to AM, and then potentially having Vettel there with maybe... Wolff leading would be a pretty potent place to be.

I was getting to that. Mouth-watering

Vettel himself indicating he has... options. I believe this is the best of em..

Latest news - I haven't seen it coming - McLaren withdrew claim against RP. I am not spending any time thinking about McLaren, and if I do, that's only when I feel sorry for Andreas, but that claim or not claim came down on me out from left field. Any ideas...

19 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Latest news - I haven't seen it coming - McLaren withdrew claim against RP. I am not spending any time thinking about McLaren, and if I do, that's only when I feel sorry for Andreas, but that claim or not claim came down on me out from left field. Any ideas...

More importantly, do you think Mr Zak Brown will keep his job? That was.... whatstheword... very STOOPID from him

That man induced into already boiling snake pit new tone of Tru....m, and managed to make a few more enemies in process. I would be pleased if he will be offered a job in some - F1 unrelated - English company where his ideas would be undoubtedly warmly espoused. Unfortunately it's probably just wishful thinking at the moment.

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Why would Merc assist a competitor 

Not a competitor,,, an Ally...

Racing point having a competitive car at disposal helps keep the competition away from Merc. In turn taking away points from the competitors like Redbull Ferrari McLaren and renault. All the while making sure Racin Point(Aston Martin) earn more points. Aston Martin where Toto has shares. More points = more money out of the pot. Its a win win for Toto.

Daimler is upset with Toto flirting outside Merc for his own interest, and and the way he is doing it in.

Ever heard about "playing with fire"? Ally comes, and ally goes...in this sport. Investing (purportedly) 40MM his own money into a competitor is a good reason to rise more than eyebrows. Some of us see it as conflict of interest. If MB wants to play this game - and I don't believe it for a minute - then Torger would get some financial help from mother ship. From what was written about it, that is not however a case.

Media of course have very low credibility as far as getting facts straight, so who knows what's going on. Fact is, as of today, he has no contract extended yet. Moreover, I think Hamilton's future is also uncertain (if we can believe what that guy says). If my recollection is correct, he has indicated that he would think twice to stay in the sport, if Torger leaves MB. 

Fact is, Ola wants MB-F1 to go about their business quietly, and can do without negative headlines. So much was made clear from his comments.

46 minutes ago, Sakae said:

McLaren withdrew claim against RP....

I'm not surprised, I kinda saw this coming. McLaren would be receiving Merc PU's from next year, ofcourse they don't want to hamper their upcoming collaboration. They can't afford to put a Crack in a upcoming long term partnership. They need support from Merc to provide them with what they need, and Merc wants them to not get in the way of this proceeding. I feel its Toto who is calling the shots.

And McLaren wouldn't want a repeat of what happened to hulk in the first race in Britain.. 

1 minute ago, blackpebel said:

I'm not surprised, I kinda saw this coming. McLaren would be receiving Merc PU's from next year, ofcourse they don't want to hamper their upcoming collaboration. They can't afford to put a Crack in a upcoming long term partnership. They need support from Merc to provide them with what they need, and Merc wants them to not get in the way of this proceeding. I feel its Toto who is calling the shots.

And McLaren wouldn't want a repeat of what happened to hulk in the first race in Britain.. 

McLaren is then first talk, then think? They didn't have enough brains in the house to figure that out in first 15 min?

44 minutes ago, Sakae said:

That man induced into already boiling snake pit new tone of Tru....m, and managed to make a few more enemies in process.

I don't get the hate against Zak.

He seems to have helped move the environment and technical compatibility of the whole unit forward. His job is to ask the engineers what they want, and facilitate it. Whether he understands F1 technically, or on a soul level is secondary. He deals with the dirty side of the business while the engeneers focus on building the car away from the politics, and you need someone like that coz otherwise you end up making a top engeneer like Binotto your team boss who can't deal with politics, while confusing everything in between.

Putting siedl in the garage, moving to Merc PU, getting Ric onboard, these seem to be good moves for Mclaren and they will be paying heavy dividends in 2021 and ahead.

3 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

I don't get the hate against Zak.

He seems to have helped move the environment and technical compatibility of the whole unit forward. His job is to ask the engineers what they want, and facilitate it. Whether he understands F1 technically, or on a soul level is secondary. He deals with the dirty side of the business while the engeneers focus on building the car away from the politics, and you need someone like that coz otherwise you end up making a top engeneer like Binotto your team boss who can't deal with politics, while confusing everything in between.

Putting siedl in the garage, moving to Merc PU, getting Ric onboard, these seem to be good moves for Mclaren and they will be paying heavy dividends in 2021 and ahead.

I disagree.

15 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I disagree.

With which part sakae? Please help me understand, coz I've seen people in other forums have a dim view of Zak, and I don't understand why. Honestly.. 

I personally feel this arrangement seems to be working fine.

If we don't necessarily expect a good pilot to also be a good engineer and vice versa, why hold it against Zak?

Probably I'm missing something here that others know..