Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

This thread is closed for technical reasons (former AM/RP)

Aston Martin confirms Mercedes-AMG chief to replace CEO Andy Palmer

Change at the top.

Aston Martin named Mercedes-AMG head Tobias Moers (German) as its new CEO, replacing Andy Palmer who has stepped down.

Day of 2020.09.09  Perez announces his departure from the team at the end of this season.

From retirement thoughts to:

Day of 2020.09.10  Vettel announces he will joining the renamed team in 2021 on potentially multi-year contract.

Newey is comfortable at RBR. And they give him probably the space to work that no other team will do. They even let him design America's Cup yachts from memory as well.

I'd LOVE Newey to goto AM, but I don't think it will happen. Horner, Marko and Newey obviously have a very very good working relationship and each player there has each others back and trust. We've never seen infighting or crap in that team, apart from driver combinations. Even Mercedes is pretty stable, but I do note they have had quite a few top people leave like Paddy Lowe and some others. Too much pressure? Not happy with the team dynamics? I don't know the answer to that.

If Vettel does well next year, I expect that will attract more talent to AM. AM will look alot more appealing, even from a sponsors point of view. The pink cars currently are just hideous and "Racing Point" means completely nothing to any prospective company wanting to align.

And what about Wolff... imagine him at AM. That would be pretty big news.

5 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

Newey is comfortable at RBR. And they give him probably the space to work that no other team will do. They even let him design America's Cup yachts from memory as well.

I'd LOVE Newey to goto AM, but I don't think it will happen. Horner, Marko and Newey obviously have a very very good working relationship and each player there has each others back and trust. We've never seen infighting or crap in that team, apart from driver combinations. Even Mercedes is pretty stable, but I do note they have had quite a few top people leave like Paddy Lowe and some others. Too much pressure? Not happy with the team dynamics? I don't know the answer to that.

If Vettel does well next year, I expect that will attract more talent to AM. AM will look alot more appealing, even from a sponsors point of view. The pink cars currently are just hideous and "Racing Point" means completely nothing to any prospective company wanting to align.

And what about Wolff... imagine him at AM. That would be pretty big news.

Did'nt he buy shares at AM? Could be a possibility

26 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Did'nt he buy shares at AM? Could be a possibility

Do you think Tobias Moers is then hired only as a transitional CEO?

Wolff has his personal investments diversified. In the F1 he has allegedly shares in Williams, Aston Martin, and Mercedes MB.

Beats me how that works. Bless him for having a few bucks to spare (~ €400MM), however on what basis is he competing? I am apparently not alone who is asking persistently that question. Stuttgart wants to know as well. (That was reported by credible media in Germany.)

Annihilation of AM or Williams in races is not his interest as an investor, nor as a competitor, however if miraculously AM or Williams getting some perks from MB-F1, then others have every reason to show concern, and so they have. I gather for that conflict of interest MB head asked him I guess to step down (quietly) as a TP. 

As TP he has contract for a year to make his mind on what's next for him.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Do you think Tobias Moers is then hired only as a transitional CEO?

Wolff has his personal investments diversified. In the F1 he has allegedly shares in Williams, Aston Martin, and Mercedes MB.

Beats me how that works. Bless him for having a few bucks to spare (~ €400MM), however on what basis is he competing? I am apparently not alone who is asking persistently that question. Stuttgart wants to know as well. (That was reported by credible media in Germany.)

Annihilation of AM or Williams in races is not his interest as an investor, nor as a competitor, however if miraculously AM or Williams getting some perks from MB-F1, then others have every reason to show concern, and so they have. I gather for that conflict of interest MB head asked him I guess to step down (quietly) as a TP. 

As TP he has contract for a year to make his mind on what's next for him.

He'de been taken to task if it was'nt allowed (F1)...

That last point bodes well, he might just jump ship to AM. Next q then... What about Lewis

27 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

He'de been taken to task if it was'nt allowed (F1)...

That last point bodes well, he might just jump ship to AM. Next q then... What about Lewis

Lewis is Lewis. First what I heard from him was how he and Torger are joined at the hip, yet recently his new song was that MB is much more than Wolff, and there are some other people (I guess he was talking about Allison) who could run the team. (Give me a break, please).

Regarding personal investments, I didn't mean to suggest Wolff is doing anything illegal. Not at all, however it doesn't mean that there is no conflict of interest. It's just being tolerated. F1 - as you surely know - is not known to do aways what's right. I guess German office is troubled more by it that English office is. Returning to his potential future moves, I am not so sure that he is after AM CEO job, and even less after taking TP job. Who knows. Maybe he is just tired and wants some time with his family. It could be as simple as that. Working, but less travel, less daily operational involvement, etc.

Date 2020.09.14   Time 16:16 (UTC)

I am reading about Mick Schumacher, and as an old fan of his father, various historical recalls came to my mind, as I saw Ferrari struggling. Then for reasons I cannot explain I had this vision what-if... (which might be in reality total brain fade).

- what if -

Seb gets his wish? Wolff takes over from Tobi, Newey shuffles in, only to be followed by Cowell. 

• Wolff- CEO
  • Otmar Szafnauer - Team Principal / Racing operations
    • Andrew Green - Technical Chief
    • Newey - Aero
    • ? - Chassis (Not sure who is in charge right now, but he does good job)
    • Cowell - PU
    • Vettel / Stroll - drivers
    • Track side ops ----personnel

Could Michael's path be followed?

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.09.14   Time 16:16 (UTC)

I am reading about Mick Schumacher, and as an old fan of his father, various historical recalls came to my mind, as I saw Ferrari struggling. Then for reasons I cannot explain I had this vision what-if... (which might be in reality total brain fade).

- what if -

Seb gets his wish? Wolff takes over from Tobi, Newey shuffles in, only to be followed by Cowell. 

• Wolff- CEO
  • Otmar Szafnauer - Team Principal / Racing operations
    • Andrew Green - Technical Chief
    • Newey - Aero
    • ? - Chassis (Not sure who is in charge right now, but he does good job)
    • Cowell - PU
    • Vettel / Stroll - drivers
    • Track side ops ----personnel

Could Michael's path be followed?

I like this thought of yours sir... I like it veryyyyyy much

On 9/11/2020 at 10:46 PM, Sakae said:

There's always these nuggets of gold you post, I keep reffering bck to your post when I do find time... So Tobias is new CEO. What will this mean if Wolf is to jump to AM? What is Tobias' Moers track record... It certainly bodes well for the Mercedes AMG engine collaboration... Maybe that's why Daimler pegged Wolff back.

From what I can deduce, Stroll is really serious about his AM investment, and want to make it a success. He wants to win titles, for sure...

I don't know much about Stroll's plans, however from what is in public domain, he belongs to an investment group. I am not sure if they reside HQ in Israel or in Canada, however I see around some of his clothing stores which is his expertise. Building cars in UK after Brexit is a new one for him, and maybe dreams come true, but I have my doubts that this is going to be easy.  

At Mugello, unfortunately for Perez, there were only enough parts for just one of the two Racing Points cars

I am hoping this is not regular occurrences which will be carried over next years as best practices.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I am hoping this is not regular occurrences which will be carried over next years as best practices.

Oh dear not... It does'nt much matter whether it"s regular updates like front wings etc, as long as the car is planted (foundation; chassis) and Vettel can feel the road. I think he's going to do very well at AM...

16 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Sorry, maybe you did'nt "hear me", or maybe you did'nt think I was addressing you....

What is your point??? We were saying we think Vettel will do well at AM, then u butted in with a link posted which had nothing to do with what we were discussing.?

Or was this purely... uhm... rhetorical

5 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Sorry, maybe you did'nt "hear me", or maybe you did'nt think I was addressing you....

What is your point??? We were saying we think Vettel will do well at AM, then u butted in with a link posted which had nothing to do with what we were discussing.?

Or was this purely... uhm... rhetorical

I'm sorry, My bad, Honestly I missed out on reading ur comment, is why I din respond...

TBH, I had just read that article and shared it if on this racing point/aston martin topic for viewers consideration, placement of the same was just co-incidental, I Wasn't throwing that as a rhetoric..

Going with the article, I agree that I have built up some respect for Lance as a Racer over the time. He is lucky to have his dad's Money which made it easy for him to gain experience, but he is proving effective in both qualifying and race trim.

He should be an easy bate for Vettel, but if Lance goes toe-to-toe with Vettel next year, or even manages to get the better of him, I wont be surprised.

Date 2020.10.05   Time 18:01 (UTC)

Racefans.net previously announced that his salary as a driver is 'only' 1.3 million euros, but that as an ambassador for Aston Martin he will receive a further 4.2 million euro. According to Toto Wolff, Vettel may be able to continue in this role as an ambassador for Aston Martin.

5.5 MM €  / season ?

That's significantly lower than what I've read a few weeks back, which was supposedly about 15 MM / season. If above quote is true, then this is comparable with pay of low grade junior drivers. I didn't expect 40 - 50 MM, but 5.5 is shockingly low.

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.10.05   Time 18:01 (UTC)

Racefans.net previously announced that his salary as a driver is 'only' 1.3 million euros, but that as an ambassador for Aston Martin he will receive a further 4.2 million euro. According to Toto Wolff, Vettel may be able to continue in this role as an ambassador for Aston Martin.

5.5 MM €  / season ?

That's significantly lower than what I've read a few weeks back, which was supposedly about 15 MM / season. If above quote is true, then this is comparable with pay of low grade junior drivers. I didn't expect 40 - 50 MM, but 5.5 is shockingly low.

I think he took what was available to him at the moment. I bet he's looking at extending and negotiating higher salary wage for the following 2 years...

19 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think he took what was available to him at the moment. I bet he's looking at extending and negotiating higher salary wage for the following 2 years...

I do agree with the acceptance of lowering his income stream from 40 to x-amount. However I was interested how much lower. Figures on the internet vary. 

40 --> 15 --> 5.5 seems like a wild ride.

Ahgrrrr...

15 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I do agree with the acceptance of lowering his income stream from 40 to x-amount. However I was interested how much lower. Figures on the internet vary. 

Ahgrrrr...

Yes, I also read 15 mil. We will only know at a later stage

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Ahgrrrr...

Thinking about this further, Maybe he has an agreement on performance bonusses (like wins, podium scoring, sponsorship bonus etc), which is quite a standard  practise. Kimi had this with Renault, but then again, they almost could'nt pay him with bonusses accumulated

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Thinking about this further, Maybe he has an agreement on performance bonusses (like wins, podium scoring, sponsorship bonus etc), which is quite a standard  practise. Kimi had this with Renault, but then again, they almost could'nt pay him with bonusses accumulated

...I forgot about it, but now when you mention it, I do recall reading something to that effect. 

VILLENEUVE: LANCE IN A LOT OF PAIN OR HE DOESN’T HAVE THE HUNGER

Ouch. Jacques is at it again. What's with the junior anyway? Nothing much about him in headlines. Will thinks Stroll should race, diarrhea or not. Little harsh, isn't he?