Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Red Bull Racing (2021)

25 minutes ago, Sakae said:

AM will be midfield team.

I am personally predicting that AM will be a top team next year, with regular fights with Redbull for the podium. They have the resources, and the staff is working with maximum efficiency as they should. Considering they will have added focus and funds at disposal next year, They should be faster with the in-season development.

I would Infact go on to say that they may even finish 2nd in the constructors championship.

Date 2020.09.24   Time 19:13 (UTC)

grandprix

Honda will make no further performance upgrades to its 2020 engine this season.

The Japanese marque's F1 boss Masashi Yamamoto said the decision is due to "regulation changes" in the wake of the corona crisis.

"We cannot introduce the updated specifications as easily as we did last year," he told as-web.jp.

"We have been on top of it from the beginning of the year, but have had to conclude that we will continue to use this specification until the end."

However, he claims Honda currently has the second most powerful engine on the grid.

Things to come? People wrapping this season early, and what you see is what you get for rest of the year,

Looks that way.

Date 2020.10.02   Time 8:39 (UTC)

Ouch

Mr. Trump and COVID have changed how global business operates. Cost cutting only started.

I  really have to congratulate Honda for keeping their head high, and despite sorry seeing them go, I do understand their decision. I really do. RBR with their aggressive language towards former PU partners will be in tights now gravelling back with Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes.

It never pays to burn all bridges behind you. Realistically, it's only Renault who might decide to talk to them. Mercedes is overextended already, and Ferrari, well, who knows...

Date 2020.10.02   Time 15:11 (UTC)

GPBlog

Schumacher, a former F1 driver and brother of Michael Schumacher, does not see a collaboration with French Renaulthappening so quickly, he says to Sky Sports Deutschland. A collaboration with Mercedes also seems very unlikely to him. He does not even mention Ferrari as a possibility. So, according to him, there is only one option left: Red Bull has to build its own engines. 

That would be fun. I can't wait.

BTW, it's too late for 2022, and anyone new to the series would enter as PU supplier only in next commercial and regulatory cycle. (In re: VW.)

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.10.02   Time 15:11 (UTC)

GPBlog

That would be fun. I can't wait.

BTW, it's too late for 2022, and anyone new to the series would enter as PU supplier only in next commercial and regulatory cycle. (In re: VW.)

They can't built engines, unless in some colab with... maybe Volkswagen/Porsche...

As you've stated, too late for 2022. But who's going to want them as partners after their constant finger-pointing...

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

As you've stated, too late for 2022. But who's going to want them as partners after their constant finger-pointing...

Short answer - no one.

I do expect Renault's arm will be twisted by initial PU distribution agreements, like it or not. There is nothing like supplier of critical materials who hates your guts. 

I don't see Redbull building their own PU's. That's like going to the drawing board with a New PU altogether. That seems like an unlikely possibilities. Although i would bite my tongue if that happens.

Moreover Redbull don't have use of that engine unlike all the other car manufacturing teams.

Cosworth maybe? 

Or would Redbull offer to buy Honda F1 operations? I'm not sure if honda would sell.

Jeez.. Redbull is in a bit of a mess.. 

There is something this story is missing... Its more than what meets the eye.. 

16 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

I don't see Redbull building their own PU's. That's like going to the drawing board with a New PU altogether. That seems like an unlikely possibilities. Although i would bite my tongue if that happens.

Moreover Redbull don't have use of that engine unlike all the other car manufacturing teams.

Cosworth maybe? 

Or would Redbull offer to buy Honda F1 operations? I'm not sure if honda would sell.

Jeez.. Redbull is in a bit of a mess.. 

There is something this story is missing... Its more than what meets the eye.. 

Yep, and the sooner Max leaves, the better, but where will he go to

36 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Yep, and the sooner Max leaves, the better, but where will he go to

Am I right that Bottas Has a 1 year contract?

If yes, I guess Mercedes should pick up.. unless Toto and Ham don't fuss about it.. Seems like they are the 2 guys running that team now.

Date 2020.10.04   Time 7:13 (UTC)

GP247

However Marko, who acts in an advisory role to Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz, said planning was already underway as he had known Honda’s departure was coming.

“We work in all directions because we knew about Honda’s decision for a long time,” he told Speedweek. “Mr. Horner is a team principal, but not involved in strategic matters. Mr. Mateschitz and I have known for a long time.”

I had been wondering about the timeline. Honda is a professional entity, and there is a legally dictated process of withdraw from contract. It was rather strange how Horner was talking a week or two ago, but now we know he was not in a loop two top men were managing. Looks like Honda will however continue in lesser series; at least for now.  

On 10/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, BradSpeedMan said:

the sooner Max leaves, the better, but where will he go to

Probably 2 a team who has a PU - WOULD B a good choice 

Date 2020.10.05   Time 9:57 (UTC)

Again?

Unfortunately it's hard for me in RBR case to draw distinction between genuine plan, and underhanded negotiating tactics. Potential loss of two teams would get Liberty's attention, and no one can blame me for speculating that RBR is after having upper hand (leveraged threat of leaving if you don't do what we want) in forthcoming negotiations. 

What I want to know in which camp Sun Tzu is. Gong of war was heard. 

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

Seems logical,  Aston Martin Red Bull Racing 2 B powered by Aston Martin

RBR is powered by Honda, regardless how many false labels you attach to it.

8 minutes ago, Sakae said:

RBR is powered by Honda

CURRENTLY - Though Honda R leavin F1 AGAIN.
The obvious solution IS 2 B powered by Aston Martin in the medium-long term

"Daniel Ricciardo has claimed the intensity of former Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel will ensure his Aston Martin move is a success.

All Formula 1 drivers are devoted to the sport, but Ricciardo believes Vettel takes this to a different level and that the German "goes to sleep with racing thoughts".

"I think he is very driven, [that is] stating the obvious," said the Renault driver. "But he has always been very interested in the team itself technically and he is always willing to put the work in.

“I don’t know, racing, it’s in all of our DNA but he really lives and breathes it. We might go to sleep at night with maybe other thoughts, and I feel like maybe most of the time he is going to sleep with racing thoughts.

“I’m sure he is going to put the work in and I think it will be probably very successful for him.

“The team looks like they’re in a good place and I think he will contribute to that quite tremendously.”

As a Vettel fan... Thank you Ricciardo. It's amazing how much respect the other drivers have and still show Vettel..

On 9/24/2020 at 7:56 PM, Sakae said:

However, he claims Honda currently has the second most powerful engine on the grid.

Reliability MUCH more important.
2 finish first, first U MUST finish

On 10/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, Sakae said:

Opportunity 4 Tag Heur ?!!

Date 2020.10.05   Time 19:43 (UTC)

Masashi Yamamoto said in an interview with The Race, "Honda is happy to talk to them if they need us in any way, not only about the power unit but about other things as well. To support AlphaTauri and Red Bull for their programme after 2021 in any way, we’re happy to cooperate."

I wonder if all that nastiness we were enduring in GP247 was really necessary.

Date 2020.10.06   Time 8:48 (UTC)

Is this possible? RBR Renault 2022

...since rules state that the engine supplier must supply the least number of customers to a team that requests it, Renault and Red Bull seem to be dependent on each other.

That will do it.

If we disregard RBR's attitude towards drive line suppliers, at least for now, I think actually Renault has progressed and it should be a fair partner. It is a good engine already, add hungry drivers, and good aero, and one has very competitive package. It could work, methinks. 

Further development of Honda engines, as a headline, doesn't make much sense to me, but I am lacking details, so who knows what fine print states.

Date 2020.10.06   Time 10:06 (UTC)

GPFans

''There is certainly a possibility that Red Bull will leave Formula 1. They haven't had any contact with Renault nor have they asked Honda if they can take over the factory.

I don't get this. What is this article suppose to tell us?

• RB will leave F1? Why then they accepted new CA? They had to know for very long time that Honda might pull out, and even without timely confirmation what kind of defensive strategy was put in place, if any?
  • RBR taking over Honda's factory? WTH is the author talking about? I was't there, but in my understanding in UK is just a small assembly plant. Engines are designed, tested on dyno, and built in Japan with Japanese suppliers. This idea I am sorry to say, makes no sense to me at all. That's a huge investment. RBR would need to hire experts, maybe even a different engine supplier to work on ex-Honda engines without experience. I can't see it happening. 

Cosworth or alike will not do it. If I am not mistaken, Brown (McLaren) is linked to that company, and almost certainly he would oppose it. Best solution is to walk away, or make peace with Renault. French supplier is a very good deal IMO.    

5 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.10.06   Time 10:06 (UTC)

GPFans

I don't get this. What is this article suppose to tell us?

• RB will leave F1? Why then they accepted new CA? They had to know for very long time that Honda might pull out, and even without timely confirmation what kind of defensive strategy was put in place, if any?
  • RBR taking over Honda's factory? WTH is the author talking about? I was't there, but in my understanding in UK is just a small assembly plant. Engines are designed, tested on dyno, and built in Japan with Japanese suppliers. This idea I am sorry to say, makes no sense to me at all. That's a huge investment. RBR would need to hire experts, maybe even a different engine supplier to work on ex-Honda engines without experience. I can't see it happening. 

Cosworth or alike will not do it. If I am not mistaken, Brown (McLaren) is linked to that company, and almost certainly he would oppose it. Best solution is to walk away, or make peace with Renault. French supplier is a very good deal IMO.    

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.10.06   Time 8:48 (UTC)

Is this possible? RBR Renault 2022

That will do it.

If we disregard RBR's attitude towards drive line suppliers, at least for now, I think actually Renault has progressed and it should be a fair partner. It is a good engine already, add hungry drivers, and good aero, and one has very competitive package. It could work, methinks. 

Further development of Honda engines, as a headline, doesn't make much sense to me, but I am lacking details, so who knows what fine print states.

... and run the risks of RBR beating them in the Constructors' Table with their engines. Renault won't like this... ONE BIT.

This is very interesting...

11 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

... and run the risks of RBR beating them in the Constructors' Table with their engines. Renault won't like this... ONE BIT.

This is very interesting...

That is possibility, however if RB selects Renault, automaker has obligation pursuant to existing agreements to supply the same drive line as they have on their car, like it or not. Maybe Renault can ask Ferrari how it felt to be overtaken by AlphaTauri in a recent race. Better solution for Renault is however to simply built a better car.

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

That is possibility, however if RB selects Renault, automaker has obligation pursuant to existing agreements to supply the same drive line as they have on their car, like it or not. Maybe Renault can ask Ferrari how it felt to be overtaken by AlphaTauri in a recent race. Better solution for Renault is however to simply built a better car.

🤣

Nice insight about supplying engines. Never knew this rule...

Date 2020.10.07   Time 6:17 (UTC)

Interesting opinion.

''How many times have we said that Red Bull is in a good position to compete for the title. Red Bull also looks better now simply because Ferrari is gone. I hope they can make the move in 2022, but Honda apparently has no confidence in that. They've had several years to see how Red Bull works and apparently don't see what they want'', concludes Barretto in the F1 Nation Podcast.

Date 2020.10.07   Time 6:33 (UTC)

Maybe.

I have no inside to dispute Barreto's opinion, and he could be right. I do however retain my conviction that two governing influences are technology transition, and collapse of globally based business are principle reasons why Honda decided to withdraw. Could be combination of many factors. I've visited in working capacity Honda in Utsunomiya, and I worked with Brits on several projects, yet it always puzzled me how those two ever could put anything together. Honda adopted English language as communication tool, which could be one reason, but that's about it. Toyota in contrast moved to Germany, avoiding UK. It came to me as no surprise Honda insisted developing drive line in Japan, instead in UK, despite all obvious difficulties along way. AMG hybrid plan for commuters cars is a game changer, and it will ensure, that research on hybrids will continue in Japan, instead in F1-UK. I am quite sure of it. 

Date 2020.10.07   Time 11:36 (UTC)

Honda will leave Formula 1 at the end of next year and that is a hard laugh for Red Bull and Max Verstappen. The Austrian team has to rush to find a new supplier for which no option is ideal, advisor Helmut Marko also knows. Reducing costs It came as a shock last week even though at Red Bull they might have known a little longer about Honda's imminent departure. Marko talks to Auto, Motor und Sport about the departure of the Japanese. The departure that was certainly also related to money. Honda could no longer justify the high costs internally.

I wonder if there is time if Mr. Velasco should apologies to Honda and their Japanese employees for his article on site he owns. (GP247).