Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Red Bull Racing (2021)

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Happy for Perez and wishing him the best

I think he is better off there with a team with proven record, whereas RP so far is great for plastering labels all over. I'm not sure how that helps.

Redbull have a reliable Driver in the 2nd car, ands it's good for them. This was the obvious choice, it was just a matter of time that this was announced.

It's unfortunate for Albon, but that's the price of sitting in the car next to Verstappen. Gasly winning a race didn't help his case either..

I wish to Albon all the best for his future

Welcome Perez to a phenomenal team, I'm sure you would enjoy driving these Adrian Newey designed cars..

Date 2021.01.04   Time 7:27 (UTC)

F1's energy drink owned camp is hoping the other manufacturers agree to a 2022 engine development 'freeze' that would make a Red Bull takeover of Honda's operations viable.

I might stand alone in this, but proposal RBR wants is a bad idea IMO. It would help them, however I am not convinced it is just as good for everybody else. 

Mount Renault without preconditions and stop talking, that's what I think about this subject.

Sport needs some sort of convergence for power plants. They are not there yet. Not the same engines, but similar in performance, and without massive power gaps. Ferrari demonstrated last year how bad years that could be if your engine is wounded. We have 2014 experience; that should suffice not to repeat past mistakes. 

Honda

Teams only ever propose a "freeze" when they think they have the upper hand or advantage.

The F1 rules need a total overhaul and the first thing I want to happen is someone like Brawn actually taking charge of F1 and it's direction. Leaving it up to the teams to vote... and then only proceeding if the vote is unanimous is a disaster. Nothing changes. Nothing happens.

Mercedes dominating the sport unlike any team in history is the warning sign. There should be more voices screaming at how ridiculous it's become.

Teams actually deciding about noting much these days. They do accept or reject contract.

Brawn managed to hire his people (mostly ex.F1) and have an office dealing with regulations. I've observed for some time that it is Brawn, and not Todt who tells us how cars will look like down the road. That's also the group which is imposing specs, whilst teams are blamed.

We should not forget even when teams were engaged and voted, first of all initial intent was to run this setup only for a year. It could had been cancelled, had CVC and FiA wanted. But - they let it go.

Secondly, teams had only minority vote. Had there been some objection, FiA with CVC and 2 or 3 small teams could have voted against front teams. Point is, they did not. So, why not? The answer - MB, Renault, and Honda would have left F1, and that was nightmare scenario for BE. (Honda came on board only because of hybrids).

grandprix.com

Verstappen aims to destroy new teammate Perez

"Big announcement" in a single headline, but made me think in what kind of world are we living when we need to talk like that? Do we need to annihilate, obliterate or destroy, etc. each other?  How about something more simpler, like Verstappen aims to better his teammate in team rivalry (as this is actually revealing some sort of secret or a new information we on the outside couldn't guess)?

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

"Big announcement" in a single headline, but made me think in what kind of world are we living when we need to talk like that? Do we need to annihilate, obliterate or destroy, etc. each other?  How about something more simpler, like Verstappen aims to better his teammate in team rivalry (as this is actually revealing some sort of secret or a new information we on the outside couldn't guess)?

I was also suprised at the headline, but it tells you the mindset of Verstappen. Win at all cost. Suppose to be a "great" trait for F1 champions, in this case, a future champ

There is no need for that (methinks). Consequences are felt all around us. World is burning, and HS needs to pull back. I do include incendiary headlines. Enough is enough. Youngsters on my sister side (12 y) simply scare me how they talk, how they think, and how they spend their leisure time. Weekend is not complete unless they destroy someone or something in their imaginary world of computer games. Wiping out whole city with everybody in it just pleases them.

12 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

So, RBR and Honda has agreed to still develop the engines till the 4-5 years engine freeze. It also depends when development stop kicks in,  of course

Makes sense

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76875/breaking-red-bull-and-honda-agree-on-engine-deal-as-of-2022.html

gpblog.com

I am not exactly sure that I understand engine development situation. There is some volatility in various positions, and no one in media is running an updated tab. They will run a tab how many times Hamilton far**s in the morning, but engines are too boring for them. 

Wolff wants to continue with development, he is against convergence, at least to some manageable margin, whereas RBR wants freeze (I think), then I am not sure what Ferrari wants, but it seems all rather messy.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I am not exactly sure that I understand engine development situation. There is some volatility in various positions, and no one in media is running an updated tab. They will run a tab how many times Hamilton far**s in the morning, but engines are too boring for them. 

Wolff wants to continue with development, he is against convergence, at least to some manageable margin, whereas RBR wants freeze (I think), then I am not sure what Ferrari wants, but it seems all rather messy.

That seems the most reasonable approach... to me

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

That seems the most reasonable approach... to me

We have seen what happens in races, when gap is too large, and one engine dominates the scene. I am not proposing equality, but they should be closer than they are. It's the same with tires. Instead competition, you get big disparities as we have seen 20 years or so ago, and it kills racing. IMO there are plenty opportunities to excel even if there is one supplier of tires, and engines are almost equal. Ferrari should not be 50 HP or so down on power. That's not racing. Letting MB to run away again is not going to make it better.

I thought once they force budget upon teams than they relax rules, but no such luck. 

20 minutes ago, Sakae said:

We have seen what happens in races, when gap is too large, and one engine dominates the scene. I am not proposing equality, but they should be closer than they are. It's the same with tires. Instead competition, you get big disparities as we have seen 20 years or so ago, and it kills racing. IMO there are plenty opportunities to excel even if there is one supplier of tires, and engines are almost equal. Ferrari should not be 50 HP or so down on power. That's not racing. Letting MB to run away again is not going to make it better.

I thought once they force budget upon teams than they relax rules, but no such luck. 

+1

As one fan said, RB is master living on backs of work of other people. They do not develop engine on their own, failures are blamed on someone else, and now they want freeze, whether it's convenient for others, or not. For some reason I am still of opinion the only freeze should be on essential performance parameters which would slow down MB, and let others to come closer to them. Once they all are lined up on the same baseline, or thereabout, only then either freeze further development, or open all to competition. I do sympathise with Mr. Wolf as he complains about unfairness, but someone needs to remind him what happened to competition between 2010 - 2020. No need for me to rehashed in here again.

Date 2021.02.01   Time 20:50 (UTC)

Ralf Bach | 01. February 2021 , 17:36 Uhr

In an interview with F1-Insider.com, Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko is again optimistic about the development stop and engine freeze. Then it would be possible for Red Bull to use the Honda power unit on its own.

Vote on e-freeze: Feb 22

I am reading about Engine freeze is good for the F1. Seriously? Permit me to add my dissenting voice. Freezing several performance related parameters is one thing, but freezing work on the engine is a totally different thing.

That's it. Just recently I've committed myself to stay with this sport as long as Sebastian will race, but now I am having second thoughts. My anger, dislikes and general ill feeling towards some people at the helm of F1 is reaching unhealthy levels, which are hardly good for my neurological well being. In simple terms I can't take it anymore. It is for those reasons I' decided to take couple of weeks off from reading, posting etc.,, and then I will decide if I want to return. Good luck Brad, and my apology for my sudden decision. I need to unplug, and allow for cooling down-time.

S. 

I took that same view years ago Sakae and I'm not sure how long it was, but several years I didn't come here.

I keep watching for 2x reasons only. Kimi and Seb. Once Kimi retires, God bless his heart, I'll just be following Seb. And once he leaves there aren't any drivers that take my fancy. Maybe Russell. However I tune out when it's the Lulu show. That is a guy I look forward to retiring. Kimi and Seb, I will enjoy each race they have until the end.

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2021.02.01   Time 20:50 (UTC)

Vote on e-freeze: Feb 22

I am reading about Engine freeze is good for the F1. Seriously? Permit me to add my dissenting voice. Freezing several performance related parameters is one thing, but freezing work on the engine is a totally different thing.

That's it. Just recently I've committed myself to stay with this sport as long as Sebastian will race, but now I am having second thoughts. My anger, dislikes and general ill feeling towards some people at the helm of F1 is reaching unhealthy levels, which are hardly good for my neurological well being. In simple terms I can't take it anymore. It is for those reasons I' decided to take couple of weeks off from reading, posting etc.,, and then I will decide if I want to return. Good luck Brad, and my apology for my sudden decision. I need to unplug, and allow for cooling down-time.

S. 

You kept us going. Thank you.  So many people have left during the years, never to return. Just... suddenly. Good posters. Guess it's the way it is.

The forum will quiet down now. Hope you return, sooner than later...

Stay safe

Brad

Good homecoming for Sergio...

On 2/2/2021 at 2:38 AM, Sakae said:

I am reading about Engine freeze is good for the F1. Seriously?

Well, wouldn't be too bad to offer a similar power output to the all driver's on the grid on Sunday... It can't always be exactly equal, but technically it is possible to take a step towards equalising engine power for all the teams..

They can let the teams show off their full engine power during qualy...

At least Sunday would be fun again.

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

Good homecoming for Sergio...

Well, wouldn't be too bad to offer a similar power output to the all driver's on the grid on Sunday... It can't always be exactly equal, but technically it is possible to take a step towards equalising engine power for all the teams..

They can let the teams show off their full engine power during qualy...

Great idea. Now only if someone in the higher powers would take note!!!

RB seems to avoid initial development expenses, avoid improvements expenses, got two teams...

What else we can do for you boys? Are you happy now, or complains will continue?

On 2/9/2021 at 3:04 AM, blackpebel said:

Yes Bernie - it IS all about the show
It is NOT about risin 2 the technical challenge

Were Sunday`s REALLY that fun with the Schumy and Ferrari dominance?
Then along came the finger boy - Seb V & Red Bull dominance

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

RB seems to avoid initial development expenses, avoid improvements expenses, got two teams...

What else we can do for you boys? Are you happy now, or complains will continue?

They are getting ALOT from Honda Intel. RBR engineers can then learn to develop and maintain engines, at the cost of a penny. Come new regulations, they will be well-prepared, with a top competitive engine... I certainly think so