Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola 2020

For the third time this year F1 is setting shop in Italy for a race. This time we have the race named after the region that it is being held under, Emilia Romagna, Italy. A little south of the regional capital of Bologna, is the famed Imola Circuit that has given us some memorable races specially in the V10 Era.

Here is the Track layout:

image.png.42aa654025e7e36187b3f6d91c6cbd1f.png

Lap around Imola:

Official Link to the Race

Considering that Imola should favor Mechanical grip over Raw Engine power, we should expect a better race compared to the others this year. Historically it is a track that has proved difficult for overtaking and this year should be no excuse.

Date 2020.10.31   Time 14:03 (UTC)

Qualification

I do recall very long time ago (years actually) discussing a non-MB car being 0,5 sec off the pace set by MB troupes.  

Verstappen is in Oct 2020 also 0,5 sec off the pace.

Aren't we all tired by pointing out to FiA day after day how screwed up this sport is? Listening to @lipstick79, I am increasingly convinced the sport is not run by engineers, but by accountants, promoters, brand PR men, lawyers, and various publicity groups. Basically by people who have no clue how to sort out technical differences, and have no interest doing so for some mysterious reasons. There is no force on this mother earth to convince me that a junior engineer if placed into a position of power would screw the series that badly, despite engineers are being blamed for it.

Saturday Qualifying Session
POS DRIVER NATIONALITY ENTRANT TIME
1. Valtteri Bottas Finland Mercedes 1:13.609
2. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes 1:13.706
3. Max Verstappen Netherlands Red Bull Racing Honda 1:14.176
4. Pierre Gasly France AlphaTauri-Honda 1:14.502
5. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Renault 1:14.520
6. Alexander Albon Thailand Red Bull Racing Honda 1:14.572
7. Charles Leclerc Monaco Ferrari 1:14.616
8. Daniil Kvyat Russia AlphaTauri-Honda 1:14.696
9. Lando Norris Britain McLaren-Renault 1:14.814
10. Carlos Sainz Spain McLaren-Renault 1:14.911
Q2
11. Sergio Perez Mexico Racing Point-Mercedes 1:15.061
12. Esteban Ocon France Renault 1:15.201
13. George Russell Britain Williams-Mercedes 1:15.323
14. Sebastian Vettel Germany Ferrari 1:15.385
15. Lance Stroll Canada Racing Point-Mercedes 1:15.494
Q1
16. Romain Grosjean France Haas-Ferrari 1:15.918
17. Kevin Magnussen Denmark Haas-Ferrari 1:15.939
18. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:15.953
19. Nicholas Latifi Canada Williams-Mercedes 1:15.987
20. Antonio Giovinazzi Italy Alfa Romeo-Ferrari 1:16.206

Racing Point has been beaten by Alpha Tauri-Honda. So, it is a midfield team after all.

More I think about it, more I am inclined to side with Helmut's advice to Sebastian, namely, he should have decided to take a year off. He must be shaken pretty badly with what is happening to him these days. I have never seen anything of this kind in my long history with the sport.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Racing Point has been beaten by Alpha Tauri-Honda. So, it is a midfield team after all.

More I think about it, more I am inclined to side with Helmut's advice to Sebastian, namely, he should have decided to take a year off. He must be shaken pretty badly with what is happening to him these days. I have never seen anything of this kind in my long history with the sport.

I hope RP has "ceased" development on their car and is concentrating on 2020, like MB has done. 

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I hope RP has "ceased" development on their car and is concentrating on 2020, like MB has done. 

Date 2020.10.31   Time 19:54 (UTC)

McLaren and Renault are too close. I am not sure RP can afford to relax.

Teams

This weekend they can drop from P3 to P5. They had very poor qualifications.

Date 2020.11.01   Time 7:03 (UTC)

Race expectations: not too many surprises in terms of grid positions. What you see that's what you probably get when a flag goes down. Track is narrow, elevating strategy as primary determinator how race might shape up for individual drivers. 

I'm expecting an exciting race. Although there is less opportunities for overtaking throughout the track, there should be some good action on turn 1.

Last time F1 came to Imola, we did not have DRS, im looking forward to see if drivers can make use of this, coz Turn 1 + DRS seems like the only logical opportunity for overtaking. An unpredictable Ricciardo should show some driving proves by trying overtaking on other places.

This is going to be some adrenaline pumping race for all the drivers...

I hope to see russell score his first points here.. :) 

Date 2020.11.01   Time 14:04 (UTC)

Is there anything to be said about Ferrari which would be first time, and something really new?

Congratulation to MB: WCC is in the bag

The result confirming Mercedes as 2020 F1 constructors’ champions for the seventh time in a row.

Vettel's pitstop. Even Crofty and Brundle were on Vettel's side on that one, and hell generally freezes over before they say anything that isn't an insult or put down towards him.

And again at the end, why bring him in? He only just changes tyres.

Oh man George!!!!!! he was so close :dam:....

Unlucky race for Max and Pierre, they could have brought Redbul a lot of points home today.

Good result for the torpedo, he deserved the spot for his efforts and bravery.

Again a phenomenal weekend for Charles, he attempted some daring moves there. He single handedly brought equal points to both the Mclarens (who themselves did a stellar job of defense) , so seems to be a fair result for him. What a mess Ferrari has made out of this whole year with Vettel, I'm appalled. 

Daniel Ricciardo :3rd: .. What  a delight see him.. I was gunning on him,. should have put some money to it.. ;)

As for Mercedes Benze Petronas F1, I congratulate them on this momentous feat, they deserve an applause :

tenor.gif?itemid=4672382

3 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

Vettel's pitstop. Even Crofty and Brundle were on Vettel's side on that one, and hell generally freezes over before they say anything that isn't an insult or put down towards him.

And again at the end, why bring him in? He only just changes tyres.

That's what I mean. 

I think there was a good opportunity available for Kimi to pit at the same time as Hamilton did, not sure why AR didn't take that.. Kimi would have finished much higher.

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

Kimi would have finished much higher.

Should B; Kimi COULD have finished much higher.
In Formula one, anything CAN happen - eg if he pitted earlier - his new tyres would have 2 cover MORE laps.
Adding EXTRA wear - could equally HAVE gotten a puncture IF pitted earlier.  

5 hours ago, blackpebel said:

they could have brought Redbul a lot of points home today.

But they did NOT
It is what happens ON TRACK that matters.

3 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

Screenshot_20201102-134918_Facebook.thumb.jpg.c22b3446f9dc832cd8eca9359f42355f.jpg

Reminds me of the time Kimi slipped on oil on his the penultimate lap and Schumie gladly said.. thank you... would've been his first win...

Russel will learn