Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Fernando Alonso, Testing and Comeback

On 4/8/2021 at 6:36 AM, blackpebel said:

Aye.. Indeed.

Yea, there was a time, after his firing from Mclaren, when he was my least favorite driver out there. I wasn’t to impressed with him trying to blackmail Ron Dennis (and I am no Ron Dennis fan). But, in the end all those impressive drives with underperforming cars got my attention. So yea, even if you are not an Alonso fan, you are an Alonso fan. 

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Yea, there was a time, after his firing from Mclaren, when he was my least favorite driver out there. I wasn’t to impressed with him trying to blackmail Ron Dennis (and I am no Ron Dennis fan). But, in the end all those impressive drives with underperforming cars got my attention. So yea, even if you are not an Alonso fan, you are an Alonso fan. 

Well, not exactly.

Yes, I have been critisizing Alonso based on his off-track behavior. He is a manipulater, to the expense of the other driver in the team.  It has dented my view of him. No matter what great driver he might be perceived to be, just too much damage. He'll never be able to achieve/replicate those heights again, with an environment dedicated totally to him and to his liking.

He has had some great drives, but I am not a fan of Alonso.

8 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

There you are Caesar

How are you Brad? It has been long time since i posted here, hope everyone is ok.

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

How are you Brad? It has been long time since i posted here, hope everyone is ok.

All good yes, Hope you and your fam is safe too.

Difficult times

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

All good yes, Hope you and your fam is safe too.

Difficult times

happy you are ok, yes difficult times, but it will be all fine i am sure, and nice to see our favorite drivers fighting again, although this time for tenth place , but it is what it is. 💪

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/770670/Sainz_8216amazed8217_by_haste_to_criticise_Alonso/

Agree with sainz on this.. If all the consideration given to Vettel after a year and a half or 2 is Fair, then all the flak thrown at Alonso just after 3 races back after 2 years of a gap is kinda unfair you know..

For the time he was away from the sport,, he is having a decent outing. Lets not forget, that Alpine isn't much of a podium contender at this stage to expect its drivers to fight in the front. I personally like what Ocon has been up to, his fight at the start of Portuguese GP was one of the highlights of the race..

Year and  half of considerations was given to Vettel?

News to me. Vettel was made fun of, discarded like old bedroom slippers, written off, termed as "spent force" by a former has-been, thrown under the bus, and generally disrespected in media and on public forums more, than anyone I know in F1.

Day in, day out. That's positive and forgiving consideration? Not in my book.

In contrast, I don't know of anyone throwing flak at Alonso. It has been noted that he needs more time in that car, but that's all. Observation is just that, observation, which BTW he agree with. 

So, why spread even more misinformation around here?

Date 2021.05.13   Time 14:32 (UTC)

Is it a new edition of Alonso? Paraphrasing, from his lips, when he said even my 100% is not enough to match Ocon. As we know from the past, he likes to throw percentages around, but his comment surprised me. It sounded like an admission of a man who faces his own life in moment of truth, and realises it is an end of his own era.

Surely we can see him gradually progress somewhat towards front from where he is today. but it was first time when I felt sympathetic to his mental struggle, with clear eye understanding that everything comes to its end.  Progress is one thing, but to be a player who can impact results of races is something else, and I think he knows that well.:congrats: 

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2021.05.13   Time 14:32 (UTC)

Is it a new edition of Alonso? Paraphrasing, from his lips, when he said even my 100% is not enough to match Ocon. As we know from the past, he likes to throw percentages around, but his comment surprised me. It sounded like an admission of a man who faces his own life in moment of truth, and realises it is an end of his own era.

Surely we can see him gradually progress somewhat towards front from where he is today. but it was first time when I felt sympathetic to his mental struggle, with clear eye understanding that everything comes to its end.  Progress is one thing, but to be a player who can impact results of races is something else, and I think he knows that well.:congrats: 

Agreed

I think he has'nt yet reach his top level though, but thiis is a remarkable admission

56 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

and realises it is an end of his own era

The end is just the beginning.

> Well on the way 2 the triple crown.  If he successfully gains that - The Spaniard`s head WILL B even BIGGER - if that is possible.
It is ONLY the end of Alonso era IN F1.
He HAS left his mark on the sport though.  Double world champion - did NOT do a Rosberg

14 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Agreed

I think he has'nt yet reach his top level though, but thiis is a remarkable admission

Hmm indeed. I think he is having a humbling experience joining back, as every driver does who probably joins back this unforgiving sport.. but it's indeed good to see his honest assessment of his current level of performance.

For however long he stays in the sport, he will surely leave back a legacy, and with his current approach filled with more humility.. his sunset in the sport will be on a good note..

Let's not forget, he is building an army of racers through his go karting academy for his legacy to continue and for his name to be remembered for long time to come..

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

but it was first time when I felt sympathetic to his mental struggle, with clear eye understanding that everything comes to its end.  Progress is one thing, but to be a player who can impact results of races is something else, and I think he knows that well.:congrats:

Good article Sakae..

Haha.. good article..

Damon hill: "I think there is this generosity of spirit with Fernando, which is genuine and he's a proper champion,"

It is indeed a very different side of Fernando that we are all getting to see in his second stint in F1. The old vibe of hard-calculated, tough-exterior, don't-give-an-inch-to-opponent , isn't showing up anymore, which is good to see..

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/783177/How_Alonso_has_changed_since_his_return_to_F1/

Forty years mean nothing. Happy Birthday, Magic. For me, a love story that started in Suzuka, 2001. 

One of the most revered and fierce guy behind the wheel of racing car!

To an absolute samurai behind the wheel!

Screenshot_20210729-161439_Chrome.jpg.bee93a2e556aa828636baf8bc28af839.jpg

To a legend who continues to enthrall the spectators  and competitors alike, even towards the last few years of his career! Infact better now than before..

To an absolute GOAT!

Happy birthday! 🔥

Screenshot_20210729-150127_Pinterest.thumb.jpg.2caee6fd81141d737d38593d07817df8.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, blackpebel said:

I think he has'nt yet reach his top level though,

He - Alonso IS a multi WDC winner - what MORE can he do 2 reach his top level?
He IS already there - best in the world - 2 WDC`s in his pocket. 
He IS now widenin the challenge, attemptin 2 gain the illustrious motor sport triple crown.
His next challenge should B 2 gain a WDC IN the turbo hybrid era.  To add 2 his multi V8 WDC`s.

D/T 2021.08.25 08:51 CEST

Fernando Alonso said he aims to become the “most complete drive in motorsport ever” after insisting that he has no intention to retire anytime soon.

It doesn't make any sense to me, and perhaps it is worth a note or two. There is no unified norm (as far as I am aware off) on definition of “most complete drive in motorsport ever”. From that perspective his words do sound a lot like self promotion and compensation for his deficit on WDC front in the F1. OK, I have only two WDC, but...blah blah blah.

There will be always people who will find some new arguments why achievements of others should be stamped on and make those less shining, but that's just human selfishness in all of us, not just in him. People like Schumacher or Vettel, to pick just two examples, entered F1 to compete in the F1 and win, and so they have.

No one said to them OK, but now you have to win another n-th series to be a complete professional driver. F1 media have too much of free time and they have to say or write something to get paid. I see it in football as well. I like Messi and Ronaldo, and I am in awe over their skills, but to hear commentators salivating is pain...OK, Messi will be now great too, because he will be playing for more teams than just Barcelona,...blah blah blah. Why not just to stay still in silence, and watch master at work. One opportunity of lifetime to see a man who should receive a Nobel price for his work in this sport. (If there is not one, make one.)

Alonso had Alpine to change his car according to his preferences (so he said), and that allowed him to progress rapidly. Vettel after all - rightly so - acknowledged his great comeback. Speaking of Vettel, his team is not French Alpine, and it is obvious to us on the outside as well, but that doesn't makes him a less complete driver. Not in my eyes.  

11 minutes ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2021.08.25 08:51 CEST

It doesn't make any sense to me, and perhaps it is worth a note or two. There is no unified norm (as far as I am aware off) on definition of “most complete drive in motorsport ever”. From that perspective his words do sound a lot like self promotion and compensation for his deficit on WDC front in the F1. OK, I have only two WDC, but...blah blah blah.

There will be always people who will find some new arguments why achievements of others should be stamped on and make those less shining, but that's just human selfishness in all of us, not just in him. People like Schumacher or Vettel, to pick just two examples, entered F1 to compete in the F1 and win, and so they have.

No one said to them OK, but now you have to win another n-th series to be a complete professional driver. F1 media have too much of free time and they have to say or write something to get paid. I see it in football as well. I like Messi and Ronaldo, and I am in awe over their skills, but to hear commentators salivating is pain...OK, Messi will be now great too, because he will be playing for more teams than just Barcelona,...blah blah blah. Why not just to stay still in silence, and watch master at work. One opportunity of lifetime to see a man who should receive a Nobel price for his work in this sport. (If there is not one, make one.)

Alonso had Alpine to change his car according to his preferences (so he said), and that allowed him to progress rapidly. Vettel after all - rightly so - acknowledged his great comeback. Speaking of Vettel, his team is not French Alpine, and it is obvious to us on the outside as well, but that doesn't makes him a less complete driver. Not in my eyes.  

To even come close to being the most complete driver in Motorsport, in my view, you got to at least have won multiple titles in different formula's/categories.

Alonso is still hunting for that elusive 3rd title. He might never get it, and he knows it. 

He messed up his career with bad decision-making, bad choices, and he knows it.

He knows his time is basically... up. So, the next best thing is to pump himself up to create that aura of completeness, of being that driver that is. That explains his comments lately referring to himself and Vettel as having their names cemented in the history books as all-time greats.

Yes, to me personally, he is still in the top tier of current drivers in F1, but a sad case to me. Undoubtly extremely talented/gifted... a case of what could have been.