Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2021)

Ecclestone doesn't see anything in sprint races: 'This is complete nonsense'

Agree without reservations.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Ecclestone doesn't see anything in sprint races: 'This is complete nonsense'

Whilst I agree, what has it got 2 do WITH Bernie?

What I used to do in races simply doesn’t work with this car’ says Perez as he tries to adapt to Red Bull

Lately I am hearing this kind of sentiment a lot.  Sebastian could say exactly the same driving his 2014 RB, whilst from side lines people could quack how much DR is a better racer (as the car characteristics of 2014 design suited him more, than to his teammate). Since it takes long time and a lot of experimentation before car design can be tailored to racer's preferences, surely this situation begs a question whether it is better to keep a driver for long time (MB-Hamilton), or seeking a driver who is flexible in adaptability. (I am actually not sure that I know one).  Hulk was good with RP, but could he take it to the top levels? We might never know. Russell was shining in MB, but was it because his competition stunk? Point is, People can ride a car with some pain and imperfections, but top spot requires perfection, and for that car and a driver must match completely. MB is probably right to stick with a driver who knows the car in and out over those years, and the car is top notch. You can't beat that combination.

Date 2021.05.12   Time 7:42 (UTC)

Formula 1 has started a working group to solve the Track Limits problem. The discussion about the Track Limits has been dominating F1 lately, and of course that shouldn't be the case.

Track limits existed since F1 became the sport of my choice, and suddenly after what seems life time, they discovered track limits are problem? OK then, I was wrong. I thought problem are primadonna drivers who have habit to whine a lot, and get attention, instead quietly adhering to given rules.

When a car, like a new shoe, doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit. I am not blaming Alonso. Not at all. This year, more than ever, we see this phenomenon across the grid. Usually it's a single driver, and media dismiss his plight mercilessly. This time we have quite a few.

What I find frustrating, when it happens to Vettel, then we get truckload of so called expert opinions how Vettel is "spent force" and the other usual rubbish. Seb in 2014 also could not fit into that car, whereas DR did. Today the same DR is struggling in McLaren, for a change. He has admitted it's him, not a car. He needs more training, that's all, despite one could hardly call him greenhorn.

Situation casts spotlight on how important it is for drivers to train before a racing season begins.  

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

When a car, like a new shoe, doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit. I am not blaming Alonso. Not at all. This year, more than ever, we see this phenomenon across the grid. Usually it's a single driver, and media dismiss his plight mercilessly. This time we have quite a few.

What I find frustrating, when it happens to Vettel, then we get truckload of so called expert opinions how Vettel is "spent force" and the other usual rubbish. Seb in 2014 also could not fit into that car, whereas DR did. Today the same DR is struggling in McLaren, for a change. He has admitted it's him, not a car. He needs more training, that's all, despite one could hardly call him greenhorn.

Situation casts spotlight on how important it is for drivers to train before a racing season begins.  

Yes, I hope FIA takes notice and scrap the stupid rule from next year onwards

13 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Yes, I hope FIA takes notice and scrap the stupid rule from next year onwards

FiA to do something what makes sense? Are you kidding me? When was it last time something like that happened?

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Tsunoda... funny guy... He now says he's ruining the Japanese image by swearing too much.

I love it... Hehehehe

Oh well, point is, I can relate to that. In a second language usually one doesn't experiences coarsness of words as it is often in mother tongue language, especially if it is in later stages of life. Those are just words, but for listeners of course it might not be that pleasant.

Yuki is being sent to Italy by Dr. Marko for supervised training under Tost. Reading data, how factory works, European culture (explained), self-control, etc.

For now - potential for Yuki being great racer is there, it just has to be cultivated and brought to next level worthy F1. 

26 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Oh well, point is, I can relate to that. In a second language usually one doesn't experiences coarsness of words as it is often in mother tongue language, especially if it is in later stages of life. Those are just words, but for listeners of course it might not be that pleasant.

Yuki is being sent to Italy by Dr. Marko for supervised training under Tost. Reading data, how factory works, European culture (explained), self-control, etc.

For now - potential for Yuki being great racer is there, it just has to be cultivated and brought to next level worthy F1. 

True, it all depends on him. He has the speed, he just needs to fine-tune

Perez: Limited track time makes changing teams harder

It would be nice if someone who can initiate change would actually pay attention. I fear they will however leave it as it is just to shuffle deck of cards (in the absence of overtaking on the track). Sainz, who is mentioned in the article, I think is just lucky, as he find car in synch with his driving style. His success thus far doesn't however negates fact, that change of teams and equipment can be hard sell. 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Perez: Limited track time makes changing teams harder

It would be nice if someone who can initiate change would actually pay attention. I fear they will however leave it as it is just to shuffle deck of cards (in the absence of overtaking on the track). Sainz, who is mentioned in the article, I think is just lucky, as he find car in synch with his driving style. His success thus far doesn't however negates fact, that change of teams and equipment can be hard sell. 

I wonder if there's any alternative agenda behind this limited track sessions. Persuade drivers NOT to change teams, or something. Why should rules limit drivers at new teams like this in a big way. It is a farce...IT IS NOT WORKING... fools!!!! I know FIA is worried about escalating team costs, but really???

9 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I wonder if there's any alternative agenda behind this limited track sessions. Persuade drivers NOT to change teams, or something. Why should rules limit drivers at new teams like this in a big way. It is a farce...IT IS NOT WORKING... fools!!!! I know FIA is worried about escalating team costs, but really???

In speculative terms, I think there is a primary goal, savings, which is propagated teams like McLaren and Williams. Side effect, which some might see as benefitial for increasing F1 popularity (waking races from boredom) is grid positional variety, when good drivers end up in midfield, and have to fight their way back. Thing is, I would like to see MB drivers in lesser cars, so we can have some fun for a change, but that did not happened. LH drives the same car for ages, and he can close his eyes and make a race.

Car design will change in next a few years, and whether towards better or the same remains to be seen. Vettel is one of those drivers who do not totally trust that specs are going into right direction.  

Rosberg: Alonso struggling with the Alpine is due to his age'
> That is the EASY answer

Alonso`s struggles R also consistent WITH  limited track sessions

On 6/1/2021 at 1:24 AM, thetruth34 said:

Vettel's drive at Monaco was the best of the year so far.

He beat the dominant Mercedes car in a midfield car. 

😀

Chinese racer and Alpine Academy member Guanyu Zhou will enter his third season of Formula 2 in 2021. But he plans to make it his last, with Zhou hoping that a proper title bid this season will provide a launchpad to becoming the first Chinese driver to start a Grand Prix in 2022.

It took too long, and he should have been in already. Adding Asian drivers is a step into right direction.

Was F1 full of bickering as it is at current level? Despite my following F1 for significant chunk of my life, somehow either I didn't paid attention, or simply I didn't know, and only with advent of the internet much of formerly hidden is now bubbling over and out of the pot. Wolff calling Horner a windbag starving for attention is nice, and not that I disagree, but somehow that kind of language escaped me in the past. 

• Team owners are fighting and arguing.
  • Team principals - fighting, arguing, and using acrimonious language.
  • Drivers aren't exactly happy with each other. Alonso is being quoted that some drivers are driving over their capabilities. Mazepin is not happy with Hamilton (who is?), and so on. Well, in many sports players aren't exactly on speaking terms with each other.

Is this situation gave birth to term for paddock "Snake pit"? For some reason I think this situation is much more, and not exactly healthy. Sport needs consensus on many issues, not dictatorship by a single office. 

Too many sissies around in the sport. We need an overhaul (starting from rules to implementation to race stewardship)

Having said that, we realise there will always be politics. It's the nature of the beast.

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Too many sissies around in the sport. We need an overhaul (starting from rules to implementation to race stewardship)

Having said that, we realise there will always be politics. It's the nature of the beast.

Cult of a self-appointed guru replacing democracy? Like Aristotle, I am not certain democracy is the answer, but in his vision, guru was clever, and deployed his wisdom carefully. We do not have it right now.