Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2021)

Date 2020.12.27   Time 8:28 (UTC)

Preamble to 2021 racing season

Another highly compressed season in the offing? It is almost certain that we will not be racing in March 21. I find rather difficult to figure out how vaccination program can improve anything, especially when we know so little about those vaccines. (Side effects, etc.)

Post-Brexit trucking from UK will be possible, but headache for people responsible for logistics. Problems with processing new paperwork, delays at the border, and so on are only some issues previously not on the table. It is however marginally better than it could had been under WTO rules. 

Alonso F1 return thread is NOW archieved - can NOT add there so adding here

Alonso HAS come out sayin Alpine (Rebranded Renault) WILL B lucky 2 make the podium on his return - is this a bluff ?? 

U R forgettin 1 thing
> What the hell is that
>>pointin into the distance - misdirection 

Have Alpine developed somethin, double diffuser like
2 storm the field, like when Alonso WON his titles in 2005-2006 ??

Or is Alonso just bein pragmatic - so if Alpine R pants, he is still a winner

31 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Alonso F1 return thread is NOW archieved - can NOT add there so adding here

Alonso HAS come out sayin Alpine (Rebranded Renault) WILL B lucky 2 make the podium on his return - is this a bluff ?? 

U R forgettin 1 thing
> What the hell is that
>>pointin into the distance - misdirection 

Have Alpine developed somethin, double diffuser like
2 storm the field, like when Alonso WON his titles in 2005-2006 ??

Or is Alonso just bein pragmatic - so if Alpine R pants, he is still a winner

Alonso will drive for Renault. Is there any reason why you cannot post it in that particular thread? (Just asking). I think stature of that man within context of his working environment could be an interesting proposition.  

Sakae - I DISAGREE
Alonso WILL drive 4 Alpine - REBRANDED

Finger boy - Vettel - WERE a star 4 Renault WHEN Red Bull WERE powered by Renault and Vettel WON his first WDC`S

From Wiki: 

The (Renault) team will be rebranded for 2021 to promote Renault's sports car brand, Alpine, and will continue to serve as Renault's works team.

23 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Sakae - I DISAGREE
Alonso WILL drive 4 Alpine - REBRANDED

Finger boy - Vettel - WERE a star 4 Renault WHEN Red Bull WERE powered by Renault and Vettel WON his first WDC`S

I do not want to nitpick, but as a way of example, we use Mercedes Benz (label) or MB instead team's official title "Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team" and no complains from you? 

Alpine division is still Renault, whether you like it, or not. Whilst we are wasting time over a basically useless argument, I am noticing you still have not addressed why Alonso needs a separate thread, instead combining your comments in the team's thread.

Regarding derogatory comments about Vettel, I've noticed it is not first time, nor second time you are displaying rather objectionable attitude. Please give it a rest, especially when topic before us was merit of having driver's threads.

I have to admit that I've evolved on that issue, and these days I am not in favor of driver's threads. I am aware of couple of forums, where those were forbiddent. They usually end up as magnet for igniting worst in people, and considering all hate around us in political world, I don't think we need another fire to burn.

If however majority wants it, including Brad, I will go along.

5 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I am noticing you still have not addressed why Alonso needs a separate thread, instead combining your comments in the team's thread

Alonso does not NEED a separate thread, ONLY Alonso thinks that.
There WERE a thread in place regarding Alonso, so I thought use THAT instead of startin a new thread.
Vettel HAS proven Y separate driver threads R NOT required.  Red Bull WINNER, Ferrari pay packet and soon ON 2 Aston Martin

15 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

R U often baffled by the truth sir?

I would probably be baffled with facts (truth) if it is new to me...

Date 2020.12.31   Time 7:45 (UTC)

New racing format for Formula 1

Liberty Media does not hide the fact that they want 25 races in one season

...and for that we cut on testing car developments. Off season, between races, on the weekend, on dynamo, in wind tunnel, hours on computers.... I am sure Mr. Brown will find even more ideas of this kind.

As the article points out, cutting weekend practices is only beginning. As someone who made living in automotive industry and has some sense what testing of products represents, my blood pressure is unstable and rising after reading such predictions. If I had any doubts (no, I didn't), that Liberty was purchasing F1 was bad news for the sport, well, I doubt no more. Quantity over quality is in the play. 

So, when teams will find out they have a problem? In pre-season testing (unless that will be cancelled too), and in races, when it is too late to do anything about it. Who will suffer? The show. The teams. The fans.

I should have asked, who needs another year such as Ferrari had in 2020? Destruction of a team may please it's haters, but I doubt it is good for business. In the past Ferrari would have fielded a new car in mid season, but no more. It is not allowed. What is allowed - move over into P6 or worse, and stay there.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Date 2020.12.31   Time 7:45 (UTC)

New racing format for Formula 1

...and for that we cut on testing car developments. Off season, between races, on the weekend, on dynamo in wind tunnel, hours on computers....

As the article points out, cutting weekend practices is only beginning. As someone who made money in automotive industry and has some sense what testing of products represents, my blood pressure is unstable after reading such predictions. If I had any doubts (no I didn't), that Liberty purchasing F1 was bad news for the sport, well, I doubt no more. Quantity over quality. 

So, when teams will find out they have a problem? In pre-season testing (unless that will be cancelled too), and in races, when it is too late to do anything about it. Who will suffer? The show. The teams. The fans.

I should have asked, who need another year Ferrari had in 2020? Destruction of a team may please it's haters, but I doubt it is good for business. In the past Ferrari would have fielded a new car in mid season, but no more. 

Hater nr1 at the moment. It's not just Ferrari's reputation at stake. If Ferrari persist with Binotto the clown I hope they suffer the consequences of it. The guy IRKS me. He's cold, dry and dirty, with diabolical tricks up his sleeves (my personal opinion).

It's no suprise that F1 is going down this route. The suits have taken over and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I don't know how Domenicalli (a racing man by heart) can really solve anything. He is suggesting radical paradigm shifts and I think that won't go down well with the upper echelons and some teams, particularly engine-wise. I hope this is not just talk...https://f1i.com/news/394617-domenicali-looking-to-simplify-formula-1-rules-in-the-future.html and I also hope there's a silver lining. Is'nt F1 gaining more exposure with longer practise sessions? or does data suggest otherwise? 

It's not just Liberty, selfish teams are also looking after their own interest, with fans suffering consequences thereof. Smaller teams NEEDS TESTING. They don't have the luxury of expensive wind tunnels and data analysis with huge budgets.They just don't have the manpower.

Merc states FIA is trying to curb their dominance (conveniently), other teams are'nt allowed to catch/level up. Now with all these new added retrictions, they plan 25 race platform. Does vaccines just move things back to normal??? F1 is currently a mess and they are turning this sport into a circus and a joke!

Interesting, with so much emphasis we read about this, how it makes such a big difference, supposedly... Kimi has a different view...

"But, Raikkonen has never understood this, saying there is no “magic” involved and picking one or the other makes no difference.

“It isn’t magic. I mean, people always ask ‘why don’t you put more emphasis on qualifying than on racing on the set-up side’, but in the end, what I’ve discovered over the last – I don’t know – 10 years is that there is no difference,” he is quoted by Motorsport.com.

It’s not because you are going to do something for qualifying that it will be faster there but slower in the race and vice versa. It just doesn’t work like that. It may have been the case a long time ago, but as far as I can remember, it never has. Sometimes you do better.”"

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/752680/Kimi_doesn8217t_get_qualirace_setup_debate/

Makes sense

6 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Interesting, with so much emphasis we read about this, how it makes such a big difference, supposedly... Kimi has a different view...

"But, Raikkonen has never understood this, saying there is no “magic” involved and picking one or the other makes no difference.

“It isn’t magic. I mean, people always ask ‘why don’t you put more emphasis on qualifying than on racing on the set-up side’, but in the end, what I’ve discovered over the last – I don’t know – 10 years is that there is no difference,” he is quoted by Motorsport.com.

It’s not because you are going to do something for qualifying that it will be faster there but slower in the race and vice versa. It just doesn’t work like that. It may have been the case a long time ago, but as far as I can remember, it never has. Sometimes you do better.”"

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/752680/Kimi_doesn8217t_get_qualirace_setup_debate/

Makes sense

I do remember the same. Good qualifying = good race; a sign that driver had a good (competitive) car.

In my memory it was only Zanardi about whom Rahal used to say - this guy (Alex) can start from last place, and in next 3 laps he will buldozer his way to the front.

In F1 it was one of the best drivers of all time (IMO) I was privy to watch, Alain Prost. He could qualify a few places back, but it was pleasure to watch him to reel in cars ahead one-by-one.

Today - no more. 

Date 2021.01.01   Time 12:47 (UTC)

Arrivabene left Ferrari under murky circumstances. What was however not disputed is, that he did not left the team under to his own volition, and he and Binotto did not see eye to eye.

Arri was great in schmoozing with people around him, but what else? I am not sure. (BTW, he did prefer Kimi over Seb). Someone like Andreas Seidl would get a team together at all levels based on facts and art of management (is my believe), which is also my preferred MO.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Date 2021.01.01   Time 12:47 (UTC)

Arrivabene left Ferrari under murky circumstances. What was however not disputed is, that he did not left the team under to his own volition, and he and Binotto did not see eye to eye.

Arri was great in schmoozing with people around him, but what else? I am not sure. (BTW, he did prefer Kimi over Seb). Someone like Andreas Seidl would get a team together at all levels based on facts and art of management (is my believe), which is also my preferred MO.

Is'nt he over at Haas now?

I think Binotto vied for the postion and there was political interference

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Is'nt he over at Haas now?

I think Binotto vied for the postion and there was political interference

Who is at Haas?

Seidl is the one who, as TP, sorted out McLaren for which Brown is collecting accolades, despite the fact that before Andreas came on board, McLaren and on Brown's watch was in disarray.

I don't have any info what is Arri doing these days. I was however not as impressed as bp might be. 

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Who is at Haas?

Seidl is the one who, as TP, sorted out McLaren for which Brown is collecting accolades, despite the fact that before Andreas came on board, McLaren and on Brown's watch was in disarray.

I don't have any info what is Arri doing these days. I was however not as impressed as bp might be. 

Sorry Sakae, got the names all mixed up... "Ferrari had already announced earlier this month that Simone Resta, its head of chassis engineering, would be moving to Haas in an undefined role."

Now, reading this....How is this even possible? ""A separate 'hub' factory is being set up near Ferrari's facility where these personnel can work solely for Haas. Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said: "These persons will be in Maranello in a completely separate building to Scuderia Ferrari. They will not have access to the Scuderia Ferrari building. It is separated and they will remain in there." Binotto says Haas is a fully independent team, but there is a hub that uses Ferrari personnel, and intel????? Although he stresses the difference of supplier vs customer, something fishy here. Haas is basically being used as a guinea pig

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-setting-up-haas-hub-in-maranello/4930483/

Yes, Seidl. German...clever guy... 

Date 2021.01.01   Time 15:15 (UTC)

Yes, Resta was reassigned. Why, that's anyone's guess. It could be a practical solution to fiscal reductions, it could be punishment for 2020, it could be anything in between. Without doubt, a lot of staff has to be reassigned (or thrown out on the street) and out of the F1 Ferrari team. That's how Mr. Brown, Mr. Brawn and their friends want it. 

With respect of adjacent building where Haas will do their thing, we have nothing more than Binotto's explanation, Some (now Ferrari) personnel will move there, but that's it. Separate door, separate ingress/egress, what they do there has nothing to do with us (said Binotto).   

On positive side, it sounds like compassioned solution.

38 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

before Andreas came on board, McLaren and on Brown's watch was in disarray.

> NOT the complete story.
At that time Mclaren were STILL "hurting"  from, the failed Honda project and the demise of Ron Dennis.

@lipstick79You are making a dubious claim. You don't follow F1 in small print beyond media headlines, do you?

Get acquainted with stories told by drivers who actually drove for McLaren, Alonso being one of them. Point is, Honda wasn't theirs the only problem. McLaren structure and system was McLaren's problem.

Chassis, vehicle stability, and much more was subpar - all under Brown's watch. We had opportunity to obtain confirmation when Honda moved out, and yet we saw car was continue to struggle.

I am not sure why I am bothering. This was all discussed several times, yet you are repeating the same misinformation. (As some UK media.)

The car is better now. Not perfect, but surely better.

RP got shafted by penalty, and lost points this season, otherwise they would have ended up higher up and in the front of McLaren. 

McLaren looks good. I personally think Zak Brown has been a healthy addition to McLarens recent past, the present and the foreseeable future.

53 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

McLaren looks good. I personally think Zak Brown has been a healthy addition to McLarens recent past, the present and the foreseeable future.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Yes, Seidl. German...clever guy... 

It has been an uphill task for just about everyone that is competing against Mercedes. I think that is one team that has been happy-go-lucky throughout all its business within F1 recently, and that's McLaren. From appointing seidl to getting new sponsorships, to letting go of Alonso, to changing over to Mercedes PU, and making the whole grid stick to the budget CAP and creating a harmonious atmosphere for everyone around to thrive in... all these have contributed to McLaren bring in good results. And I see Zak going about his business with a certain sense of ease that enthusiasm.. I still don't understand the flak against Zak, the team bonding within McLaren is really good, and progressive.

Its time for people to take a step away from all the perceptions we have built up and look at the current state of McLaren, and decide for ourselves if it looks like a healthy outfit.

Zak deserves some credit for the strength this team has built up lately.

Mclaren for 2nd in constructors in 2021! 🤘

Its is going to be a dog fight between Mclaren Redbull and Aston Martin for that 2nd place.. WOW!!

Hope Alpine and Ferrari could join the party, But I'm pretty sure they will be stuck to s##t unfortunately.

Edited by blackpebel
Typo