Clicky

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2021)

55 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

If nothin changes, nothin changes

Firstly, Ur quoting Sakae over here..

And Well to be honest, there was nothing really working for vettel in Ferrari, so he has changed the team altogether.. and that's a big change.

I guess with the practice restrictions,, I guess it would be fair to access the driver performance around the half way mark in the championship.

Sakae, you did mention this awhile back. I did'nt understand clearly... Here's Webber on this...

"I think the rules of these cars do not suit Sebastian very well, they are not his type of car. He likes cars with a lot of grip, with a lot of downforce, and he's a very delicate driver, with a lot of feeling with the car.

"Remember Monza in the rain with the Toro Rosso. It was incredible, he left everyone that day. But when there is less grip, with the Pirelli, the cars now give you less confidence and the rules do not suit him."

"I think the stars have aligned against him. And you can see him getting tired, he put a lot of effort into Ferrari. And I do not like it," he said."

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Sakae, you did mention this awhile back. I did'nt understand clearly... Here's Webber on this...

"I think the rules of these cars do not suit Sebastian very well, they are not his type of car. He likes cars with a lot of grip, with a lot of downforce, and he's a very delicate driver, with a lot of feeling with the car.

"Remember Monza in the rain with the Toro Rosso. It was incredible, he left everyone that day. But when there is less grip, with the Pirelli, the cars now give you less confidence and the rules do not suit him."

"I think the stars have aligned against him. And you can see him getting tired, he put a lot of effort into Ferrari. And I do not like it," he said."

Above is precisely a reason, why I do consider claim within a team that cars are the same as nonsense. Even if you had 100% accurate duplicate (which it never is), at the end car's design might not be compatible with the driver who sits in it. To put it differently, to compare teammates as racers based on their skills, each of them would need uniquely them suited machinery (which never happens). Claims that cars are the same are made for simple minded fans. Teams are usually seeking compatible drivers with similar driving styles. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

In 2014 machinery suit DR more than to Vettel, yet people claimed how DR is superior to Vettel. Than came Leclerc, car changed and now Seb is again in trouble.

I agree with you, that unless new car design will suit him (assuming he will still have a job), then his career might end on a sad note.

There are claims how some drivers can drive anything. I really doubt it too. Take this much celebrated and revered driver Alonso - he can drive anything? Yeah, so why then his current teammate Ocon is in panic and screaming loud for Alpine not to ignore him, and stop changing their car to suit Alonso, rather than both of them. Alpine is making mistake with their misplaced thrust where and with whom their future will be.

There is a lot of tosh tossed to fans.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Even if you had 100% accurate duplicate (which it never is),

May B NOT 100% accurate duplication though, 99.99% IS close enough
Come from the SAME factory with the SAME design .
In the V8 era, the factories WOULD have ALL used the SAME software - MFG/PRO , 2 produce.
Now they use, eB and eB2 which IS essentially the SAME software with a different label.

Edited by lipstick79

11 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

May B NOT 100% accurate duplication though, 99.99% IS close enough
Come from the SAME factory with the SAME design .
In the V8 era, the factories WOULD have ALL used the SAME software - MFG/PRO , 2 produce.
Now they use, eB and eB2 which IS essentially the SAME software with a different label.

Where did you get 99.99%? Is it some kind of a made up figure to diminish actual physical disparities? Good for you.  I would not dare to put any figure on it.  It would be colossal waste of time, and result not totally accurate anyway. Suffice to say, differences do exists.

In racing maybe differences are really small, however you may have different weight inserts distribution affecting car balance and tires, different setup, floor flex, etc.

Cars aren't true duplicates one of the other in physical sense. In world where hunderds of a second make difference on a score board, small speck yields enough of disappointment for a driver.

Again, for some unspoken reason you choose to ignore match-factor between car design philosophy with a driver, which could span from minor (Vettel/Räikkönen case) to massive (Alonso/Räikkönen case). It is one the most important influences upon how is driver effective in competition. 

You may dislike Vettel, but will DR convince you?

Daniel Ricciardo is still finding his feet at McLaren, the Australian admitting that there are elements of his A-game that will only come with seat time in the car.

24 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I am not going to surprise anyone in here with my rejection of it as just another gimmick from gents Brawn and Todt.

It is terrible to be negative all the time, but F1 has to meet me half day, and make sense from time to time. Jerking up with rules, rather than to issue simplified, sensible one page instruction is probably too complex idea for some thinkers on the keyboard. I blame computers for it. It's too easy to expand simple paragraph-long instruction into a major dissertation work.

Solution: let Japanese write it. I guarantee you it will come out on one page A4 format cigarette thin paper, and it will cover substantively everything. No gimmicks. 

There are associate problems under budgetary restrictions. Accident and trashing a car can make huge hole in your cash. Can you rebuild a car for Sunday?

- In global travels teams need to carry more parts (=>travel cost increases)

- Overnight assembly is risk of making errors which might emerge on Sunday

- Races / points lost will adversely affect end of the year income.

There are consequences of bad ideas. This - as currently defined - is a bad idea IMHO.

Brown believes that Andreas Seidl has been instrumental in the progress that McLaren have made over the past few years

I vote Andreas for taking over whole F1 circus as a top dog.

Love the guy. He is everything I always valued in a professional. 

Handing him a key, I say, deliver without using words like iconic, and whatever other nonsense. Just as you are, and F1 would be in good shape.

F1 waves the white flag of surrender

Essential read. Well written, well reasoned, well - everything. One of the better articles one can find these days.

One of more substantive questions - why do we need sprint races, if next year specs are suppose to fix competitiveness?

Something is not adding up. In speculative terms, my dribble, drivers probably were right and specs will fix nothing much. Sprint races are then just PR diversion from what seems to be a colossal failure. Posh offices in London failed in what they designed to do?

We will see.

Time to make change

What's the problem?

I am hoping to be forgiven, but despite owning reasonably latest iPhone loaded with over 20 production apps, I am not on social media in any shape or form, therefore I have no idea what is GP247 protesting. I am aware (cannot evaluate credibility of the info) that Facebook making the owner rich by taking his subscribers personal data and selling them to unknown third parties for unidentified purposes, which on its own should probably send him into prison for life, but for now there is not such law on the books, so he is in the clear. Twitter - the same. Like Vettel, I am living happily without it.

GPToday

Race losers

Portimao

Whilst some drivers had a decent afternoon in the Portuguese Grand Prix, others did not appear to have enjoyed their visit to the Algarve International Circuit. One of those was Max Verstappen, who made his thoughts very clear about the prospect of returning to Portimao in the future.

"The whole weekend I didn't enjoy because of the grip levels around here," Verstappen told Sky Sports. "I hope we don't come back."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the track's future on the F1 calendar.

This is BS talk from Verstappen.  OK, he had some difficulties there, however:

• Not first time he had difficulties, he is not the only one, and not exclusively on this circuit.
  • Some drivers managed. So, those issues were Vertappen's own problem, or circuit's problem?
  • FiA approved track/circuit as race-worthy. Verstappen should travel to Paris and face penalty as consequences for his big mouth IMO.

I just don't like this kind of put-down talk. I can trash Silverstone (or a few other tracks) why I don't like those, as he does the Portuguese circuit.

When asked, I think he should explain his own situation, and leave management decision where to race to someone else in management. The guy should have also some appreciation for effort people made to race in pandemic condition. Lastly, we had other tracks in the past with overly smooth surfaces. After some suggestions track was resurfaced and that was that, but how many we said - we aren't coming here anymore?

Apparently the track surface is horrible, not up to standards of F1 racing. The tyres took a beating, maybe it really is'nt up to scratch. Lots of drivers complaining. from Hamilton to whoever.

And yet, Merc won again

25 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Apparently the track surface is horrible, not up to standards of F1 racing.

Who said that on FiA side?

Vettel in couple of interviews with him was mentioning wind-factor only.

Race director's duties are broad, deep and death serious. One of them (shortened):

12. Conduct a risk assessment

Making sure you have properly assessed risks in your race and established procedures for managing emergencies is key to help you deliver a successful, safe event for participants, volunteers and spectators. You can do this formally as part of a risk assessment (recommended) or through a combination of scenario contingencies ("if bad weather, do this", "if course diversion required, do that" etc)

Michael Masi has been FIA Formula One Race Director, Safety Delegate, Permanent Starter and head of the F1 Technical Department since the passing of Charlie Whiting. Like Whiting, Masi is tasked with managing the logistics of each F1 Grand Prix, inspecting cars in parc fermé before a race, enforcing FIA rules, and controlling the lights that start each race.

Has Masi failed in his duties then and permitted race on deviant track, and if so, has he done it on his own without having other actors agreeing to it?

I am lacking full understanding of current equipment management strategy. We (fans) were told some time ago an F1 engine needs to last seven races, so seven races at 305 kilometres each equals 2135 kilometres. Teams are permitted only 3 units per season without penalty (21 races), yet Liberty/FiA are aiming at 23 races per season, with additional 3 qualifications races this year. How does this works? I am lost over arithmetics of it. What am I missing?

Article 23.3 (a) of the 2018 FIA sporting regulations states: “… each driver may use no more than three engines (ICE); three motor generator units-heat (MGU-H); three turbochargers (TC); two energy stores (ES); two control electronics (CE) and three motor generator units-kinetic (MGU-K) during a championship season.”

With the additional, managing the engine when they are out in front. I wonder what will happen this year as I predict the championship will go down to the wire.

Surely there will be some "casualties"

Sainz: It’s clear the heart of F1 is still in Europe

+1

Good remainder for some people in management.

‘Kubica didn’t help himself with comments to press at BMW Sauber’ says Heidfeld

Old story, nice return in memory lane, but it was turning point for me. I've turned away from Kubica (for good) and never found any likes for his behaviour. I took a lot of flak for it from Polish members on the forum. One compared me to Iraqui minister of propaganda, who was executed. (So much for love on the forums).

BMW gave Kubica chance in F1, lifted him up, yet on a few occasions he badly badmouthed them. I got so mad BMW hired and kept this guy at the expenses of his teammate, and as part of my tiny chunk of protest, I sold my beamer, and took me a few years before I returned as a customer.