Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lipstick79

Williams

The thread IS achieved and can NOT B commented on.
So a new thread required

Williams HAVE recently stated,
              We want to retain our independence
Strange when BMW were interested in F1, that independence SOON went out of the window for
Williams BMW
Which did NOT achieve anythin, and thus BMW left F1.

2 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Williams HAVE recently stated,
              We want to retain our independence

Independence from what or whom? 

Those are soothingly nice, but for all practical purposes empty words. Once you are in (F1), there is always some degree of interdependence with something or somebody..

(Yes, the previous thread has been archived.)

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

Once you are in (F1), there is always some degree of interdependence with something or somebody.

The SAME is also true reversed, NOT independent.
Look at previous successes of Ferrari and currently Mercedes.
U put a car on a track 4 2 hours, and hope 4 the best.
The best does NOT necessarily mean winning.
Red Bull want the world 2 see a fizzy drink.  With Seb V that WERE initially WINNING, powered by Renault.
Red Bull NEEDED that interdependence, 2 B seen as a WINNING fizzy drink.
That interdependence is NOW with the Honda money.  Mclaren saw the possibilities when Ron Dennis
brought Honda BACK in2 F1.  Though the Mclaren Honda project failed 2 deliver.  Allowing Red Bull & Torro Rosso 2 pick up the pieces.
True interdependence WOULD B seen if, somebody HAD taken Cosworth and made that a WINNING combination.
In the V8 era, Williams attempted.  Which had it been successful would HAVE been a marketin DREAM.
The BEST of British.  The British bulldog.  It would have just NEEDED Nigel Mansell 2 wrap the iconic image, had it been successfull.

Williams have announced that they are expanding their technical collaboration with world champions Mercedes from 2022, with the team set to use gearboxes supplied by the Silver Arrows in addition to other transferable components.

Partnership

Where does this ends? I am assuming this is not ad hoc development, and there is a plan. I just don't know content of it. It is now practice so widely spread across the grid, that it is hard to be cognisant of full scope of it. 

50 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Partnership

Where does this ends? I am assuming this is not ad hoc development, and there is a plan. I just don't know content of it. It is now practice so widely spread across the grid, that it is hard to be cognisant of full scope of it. 

Williams has a plan to simplify things for themselves by simply taking over the gearbox, instead of putting a lot of money and time in making their own, which makes sense.. McLaren choose to have their own, because they can afford to.. seems fair enough..

Somebody said somewhere about Russell bein a replacement for Hamilton
           > 
he needs to learn how to drive in the points first
Though NO 
disrespect, SO does  Hamilton.
Hamilton has ONLY ever had Mercedes power.
Even in the previous V8 era Mclaren Mercedes.
2 B considered better than Schummy (Ferrari, Benetton Renault)
Hamilton NEEDS 2 win AWAY from Mercedes 

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

2 B considered better than Schummy (Ferrari, Benetton Renault)
Hamilton NEEDS 2 win AWAY from Mercedes 

My criterion is different from yours. Hamilton needs to win in competitive field of cars of at least other two or three teams. Whether he driver MB or Tata I don't really care. Point is, Other cars are wounded and not able to compete on the same level, and that's a problem.

Michael had on his heals McLaren and Williams. Hamilton has Bottas, and whilst it is true that teams are only now begging to close a gap, it is still wider between MB and rest of them than it was in Schumacher times. Teams could train, test, fix deficiencies, and race. Life was much simpler then.

6 trophies - OK he has those, he can cherished, but my opinion is not changing about their value. His first one was obtained by a squeak, but OK, that's fine compared to how he got rest of them.

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

Williams has a plan to simplify things for themselves by simply taking over the gearbox, instead of putting a lot of money and time in making their own, which makes sense.. McLaren choose to have their own, because they can afford to.. seems fair enough..

...so we have surrendered purity of instructors championship? In this case, it will be really Williams winning, or MB in disguise? They aren't alone on the grid. I've lost track what is what and who is who. The grid these days is too much of shining colours, big words, but not that much of substance. Three genuine teams, That's the series. Mercedes, Ferrari, and Renault. Rest of them, well I rather stop here. Maybe each automaker should field 7 cars, and then we can have fun.

19 minutes ago, Sakae said:

...so we have surrendered purity of instructors championship?

We did, in a huge way, About 7 years ago mate.. these small things don't even compare to the undue advantage one team has received.

With a Better gearbox, Williams should, at best, be able to regularly stay ahead of the Haas in both qualy and Race, so no qualms over there..

8 hours ago, blackpebel said:

We did, in a huge way, About 7 years ago mate.. these small things don't even compare to the undue advantage one team has received.

With a Better gearbox, Williams should, at best, be able to regularly stay ahead of the Haas in both qualy and Race, so no qualms over there..

I dare to differ with you. Your sense for purity, fair game and balance is off, IMHO.

16 hours ago, Sakae said:

My criterion is different from yours. Hamilton needs to win in competitive field of cars of at least other two or three teams. Whether he driver MB or Tata I don't really care. Point is, Other cars are wounded and not able to compete on the same level, and that's a problem.

Michael had on his heals McLaren and Williams. Hamilton has Bottas, and whilst it is true that teams are only now begging to close a gap, it is still wider between MB and rest of them than it was in Schumacher times. Teams could train, test, fix deficiencies, and race. Life was much simpler then.

6 trophies - OK he has those, he can cherished, but my opinion is not changing about their value. His first one was obtained by a squeak, but OK, that's fine compared to how he got rest of them.

Well, Ferrari was also doing unlimited testing on their own "special track". There's still a need to curb testing. Maybe add an additional week of testing, in addition to pre-season etc

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Well, Ferrari was also doing unlimited testing on their own "special track". There's still a need to curb testing. Maybe add an additional week of testing, in addition to pre-season etc

Cars were race ready, and that was good thing. These days what we are hearing is - our car is not capable and we need 2 years to (maybe) fix it. Implication of it are, after such long wait when we start racing, by then we will find out what we have done.

On 1/8/2021 at 4:52 PM, Sakae said:

McLaren choose to have their own, because they can afford to.

Not completely accurate.  U R forgettin the Mclaren roadcar.
When Ron were in charge.  It were his aim 2 create the British Ferrari. 
Champion F1 team AND a road car.  
They just need 2 build their own engine - like Ferrari do.
The road car uses a bought engine.
The Honda project were a steppin stone 2 achieve this, though the Honda project failed.
It is a BIG process.  Zak does NOT have the same ambition that Ron did.
To Ron, second is first of the losers.  Zak would B happy 4 Mclaren to GET 2nd.
They already hold 3rh - best of the REST.
The BEST non works team

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

Not completely accurate.  U R forgettin the Mclaren roadcar....

You are quoting @blackpebel McLaren choose to have their own, because they can afford toFriday at 04:42 PM

Those are his words, not mine, as incorrectly stated in the previous post.  

39 minutes ago, Sakae said:

You are quoting @blackpebel McLaren choose to have their own, because they can afford toFriday at 04:42 PM

Those are his words, not mine, as incorrectly stated in the previous post.  

I don't know how Ms Lipstick does that