Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Driver threads

Forum organisation  

4 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we allow for dedicated drivers threads on this forum?

• Yes (Driver related discussion should be separated from his team).
    • No (Keep driver related discussion together with the team in one thread).

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/06/2021 at 02:58 PM

• I will go with majority, regardless whether I like it, or not.
  • I am not in favour of separate threads. 
    • They usually turn into battlefields, igniting worst in posters.
    • Discussion is seldom focused on a driver alone, and team issues are usually added, so why not have it all in one place?

Driver's with their respective team commentary should be contained in one thread. 

We don't need to flood the forums with unnessary threads. Let's keep it simple... for everyone

Thanks all for taking time to vote. It would be however helpful to add a few explanatory lines why we are voting one way or another, as Brad and I have done above. It could potentially help change our minds, if the arguments are convincing and solid. (Art of conversation.)

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Thanks all for taking time to vote. It would be however helpful to add a few explanatory lines why we are voting one way or another, as Brad and I have done above. It could potentially help change our minds, if the arguments are convincing and solid. (Art of conversation.)

This seems like a fair approach of reasoning.

I've voted Yes.

In my opinion, a separate driver related topic, can Co-exist along with a team topic, and we can leave it up to people to take a fair call on where they offer their views.

I personally think that we don't necessarily need a hardlined, one-shoe-fits-all approach in this matter. Drivers individually, are a very important element to the sport, regardless of the teams that they driver for. And in my personal experience, almost all fans follow their Fav driver to whatever team they join. The name of the team, and the color of their racing overalls is just an after taste of the man behind the Machine. Their individual stats, performance and legacy is sometimes outside the sphere of the team they are currently racing for.

For the same reason, I personally don't relate Schumacher with Mercedes or Vettel with Ferrari or Alonso with McLaren or Hamilton with 6 free titles. They are more than just the current team they are driving for. And its obvious, that only a few exceptional drivers would get their own topic.

Either ways, I would be fine to follow what is discussed/decided by everyone on the forum.

31 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

This seems like a fair approach of reasoning.

I've voted Yes.

I personally think that we don't necessarily need a hardlined, one-shoe-fits-all approach in this matter. Drivers as individually, are a very important element to the sport, regardless of the teams that they driver for. And in my personal experience, almost all fans follow their Fav driver to whatever team they join. The name of the team, and the color of their racing overalls is just an after taste of the man behind the Machine. Their individual stats, performance and legacy is sometimes outside the sphere of the team they are currently racing for.

For the same reason, I personally don't relate Schumacher with Mercedes or Vettel with Ferrari or Alonso with McLaren or Hamilton with 6 free titles. They are more than just the current team they are driving for. And its obvious, that only a few exceptional drivers would get their own topic.

Either ways, I would be fine to follow what is discussed/decided by everyone on the forum.

I can only expand on my reasoning against it, as I voted. There is absolutely nothing wrong what you stated, except there is one flawed assumption in it. You are assuming respondents are rational and polite people who do respect rails for good behaviour.

That is not based in reality, unfortunately.

I've become a member of a forum first time around 2003. I was banned a few years later for daring to critique couple of drivers. Discussion turned into what I would characterize a shouting match among a few groups. Due to my "unique" and unpopular perspective on the matter, they kick me out, and banned for life, despite not being much different what you see today of me. Attacking "iconic" British subjects was no-no. I got kicked out recently of one more forum more or less for similar reasons (and without warning).

Points learned:

•  Don't be personal. (Lipstick insisting that Vettel is a "finger boy" would get away with it on my old forums. Me labelling Hamilton a fraud would get me banned for life).
  • When you have a thread on certain topic, people do venture off topic (talking about other drivers, a team, and so on). Sooner or later the conversation is fractured because you are running two or more threads about the same thing, and moderators only plea - stay on topic!

I have no intention to be a slave of this kind on this forum.  

We wait who else chimes in.

I happened to add this line later, as I thought it was important to the discussion:

38 minutes ago, blackpebel said:

In my opinion, a separate driver related topic, can Co-exist along with a team topic, and we can leave it up to people to take a fair call on where they offer their views.

14 hours ago, blackpebel said:

The bolded part below is what inevitably happens...

14 hours ago, Sakae said:

Points learned:

•  Don't be personal. (Lipstick insisting that Vettel is a "finger boy" would get away with it on my old forums. Me labelling Hamilton a fraud would get me banned for life).
  • When you have a thread on certain topic, people do venture off topic (talking about other drivers, a team, and so on). Sooner or later the conversation is fractured because you are running two or more threads about the same thing, and moderators only plea - stay on topic!

I have no intention to be a slave of this kind on this forum.  

We wait who else chimes in.

We don't need 2-3 threads that eventually brings across the same conclusions, or repeats thereof... or having to research 2-3 theads to respond to a relevant point/question. You will find it in ONE RELEVANT thread. It's streamlined in a good linear way.

And just to re-iterate. Feel free to open threads under relevant forum discussions, whether technical or historical etc. There was a period when a barrage of threads where opened left, right and centre everyday which featured just one or two posts, around same topic matters. Let's try and avoid that pls

On the "Don't be personal bit". Let's be cognisant not to insult drivers or fellow posters. Myself included, because it's easy to let slip. Hope we all agree 

Considering this is a small group of active posters in here, it may end up 50-50 toss.

In that case I may probably suggest to Brad, who is a senior moderator in here, that we might consider letting driver-threads to stand on experimental basis (after mid January), however as soon as things get to the boiling point, as I think inevitably they will, we will hide or delete those threads and leave team-threads only going forward. 

I repeat my previously stated objections; people inevitably will discuss unrelated matters, and before too long, conversation will loose its flow, and some posts become nonsensical due to fractured information. After many years on various forums, it's always the same. I am therefore against driver-threads for reasons stated, but I will go with majority votes.

There is one issue we should consider as well, namely, we are using someone's server, probably with limited capacity. 

As Brad stated, for an event of significance (subjective determination), there is no objection to open its own discreet thread.

Decision on driver-threads in 2 weeks hence.

Poll conclusions: driver threads allowed, but as pre-condition follow some simple rules 

1. Moderators will allow for Driver threads. Other drivers can be mentioned within, if there is logical link between them and topic discussed.
  2. All driver threads will be closed if discussion weer off the subject too much, and should be correctly in another, already open thread.
  3. There is no point to start a discussion on one topic, and then continue somewhere else. Keep it together.

I think that's all for now.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Poll conclusions: driver threads allowed, but as pre-condition follow some simple rules 

1. Moderators will allow for Driver threads. Other drivers can be mentioned within, if there is logical link between them and topic discussed.
  2. All driver threads will be closed if discussion weer off the subject too much, and should be correctly in another, already open thread.
  3. There is no point to start a discussion on one topic, and then continue somewhere else. Keep it together.

I think that's all for now.

Agreed.

Thank you Sakae

On 12/30/2020 at 8:07 AM, Sakae said:

we should consider as well, namely, we are using someone's server, probably with limited capacity. 

Then that is NOT logical.
Just usin 1 server.  There R a LOT of FREE server`s available.
Analogy - How do U eat an elephant?
A person IS small by comparison 2 a HUGE elephant.
Answer > make the elephant SMALLER
Cut the elephant UP in2 pieces and THEN a small person CAN consume a HUGE elephant.
Have space for 1 board on a server.  THEN have space for a different board on, a different server ...
U get the idea.
There R TONS of FREE web space AVAILABLE.
Admin guys should B doin a BETTER job if, soo concerned about server space.

3 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Cut the elephant UP in2 pieces and THEN a small person CAN consume a HUGE elephant.
Have space for 1 board on a server.  THEN have space for a different board on, a different server ...
U get the idea.

Miss Lipstick. The issue is not how much free web space we have available, or having gazillion servers.

It's contrary to the point.

There's many times I want to respond to a poster about a certain topic, or finding something to add to a specific point. Then having to search threads to find where it is. It makes sense to find a driver topic under his particular team thread. It takes away all the chaff. Don't you think?

We're encouraging a streamlined approach. That's all

10 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

U get the idea.

Please, just follow Brad's advice. That will do.

Thanks

S.

7 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Miss Lipstick

> Ms Lipstick  !!

We're encouraging a streamlined approach. That's all

gazillion servers

gazillion, is that a technical term?

I appreciate streamlining, makes the site more efficient.
Less data 2 buffer

2 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

> Ms Lipstick  !!

gazillion, is that a technical term?

I appreciate streamlining, makes the site more efficient.
Less data 2 buffer

I meant it in a light-hearted way, but since you asked...

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=gazillion+meaning&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Is that sufficient as a technical term?