Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

F1 Test & Racing Calendar (2021)

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

The predictions rankings as far does'nt look tooo bad for AM Sakae.. They even place AM ahead of Ferrari, but u're right with AlphaTauri

https://the-race.com/formula-1/we-rank-the-teams-after-f1-testing-2021/

Ranking was probably done by the PR person Strolll hired. There isn't simply any basis for such ranking claims.

Hey guys. It looks to me like Aston Martin is the 6th best team on the grid and has reliability problems to boot. It could be a very long season for them. 

I suspect this will turn into a building season for them. Where they are at the end of season will be pretty telling.

Exactly. I am hoping that my expectations for improvements will not go wasted. I wish they would less talk about having Sebastian fight for championship, and rather making sure that the car is capable of punching above its weight. 

Merc and AM were clearly not able to show their true performance... They should do well on race pace..

Extra points to McLaren for showing some good pace.. gonna be a good fight yearlong with the redbulls and AM's and Alpha Tauri's.

I cannot speak about MB (I've studiously ignored anything related), but why we should believe AM didn't show us what they can do. I think they tried, but it added to nothing much. Worst performance from them all.

Both AM drivers had some limited time on track, and as far as I can say, there was nothing seen or reported, which would hamper driver's  performance. Either AM, or driver were just slow.

Vettel turn in about 117 laps, and recorded slowest lap time from all active drivers. Moreover, there was no progress in his speed as laps were accrued, so we could say, he is settling in. It was just static. Has Vettel run with detuned power plant?

When I think about Haas (Mazepin) or Yuki, newcomers, and how quickly they settled in, my head hurts about what was going on with AM.

5 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I suspect this will turn into a building season for them

U mean like, the LAST 4 season`s - a building season
Just a DIFFERENT name above the factory now.
> As Force India, they built and as Racing Point, they built - did NOT come close enough.
As Aston Martin - the foundations SHOULD already B in place.
NO point this season bein a building season 4 ANY team.
The Regs WILL soon change.
Anythin built WILL B, swept UNDER the carpet 4 the NEW regs. In 2022

Dr. Marko:

But it wasn't just the factory Mercedes team that looked unreliable, Helmut Marko pointed out: "The second Mercedes, the Aston Martin, also had similar problems on the transmission side", he is quoted by Motorsport-Magazin.com.

Maybe this was the unreported issue behind slow times, yet being last is really off charts and beyond explanation.  

6 hours ago, Sakae said:

But it wasn't just the factory Mercedes team that looked unreliable, Helmut Marko pointed out: "The second Mercedes, the Aston Martin, also had similar problems on the transmission side", he is quoted by Motorsport-Magazin.com

Interesting point made by Motorsport-Magazin.com
However, in turn. 
The customer Mercedes team, Mclaren does NOT look unreliable at this time.

24 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

They have a novel floor solution

The floor does NOT power itself though - U R missin the point bein made.
Between the Mercedes factory, and Mercedes customer teams.

23 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

The floor does NOT power itself though - U R missin the point bein made.
Between the Mercedes factory, and Mercedes customer teams.

The floor is there to PREVENT downforce... lots of

5 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Interesting point made by Motorsport-Magazin.com
However, in turn. 
The customer Mercedes team, Mclaren does NOT look unreliable at this time.

True, however I don't know whether McLaren configuration is comparable whatever AM has, so, there is no point for me to dwell on that.

As the matter of fact, recorded data place Sebastian to last place (only Nissany was slower), whereas his teammate was in P12 out of 20.

WHY????????

Explanation that it's all new to Seb doesn't sits well with me, especially after so much blah blah we can tailor a car setup to Seb's liking. So, has Seb really lost it or he is with wrong people? We have to wait. Clarification is coming soon. (I was hoping for at least P7 if not better).

21 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

U mean like, the LAST 4 season`s - a building season
Just a DIFFERENT name above the factory now.
> As Force India, they built and as Racing Point, they built - did NOT come close enough.
As Aston Martin - the foundations SHOULD already B in place.
NO point this season bein a building season 4 ANY team.
The Regs WILL soon change.
Anythin built WILL B, swept UNDER the carpet 4 the NEW regs. In 2022

Well, part of the reason for Force India/Racing Point success was that everyone else was in the doldrums. Ferrari last year was a disaster, McLaren has been in trouble for a few years, Renault wasn’t living up to its potential, etc.

Now it appears they are all coming back and the end result is Aston Martin doesn’t look as good. But, with all the money coming in, the tie-in with Aston Martin, marketing, etc.... they should be improving over the season and into the next. In the past they looked better because so many other major teams were down.

So yea, a building season.

Now, from a practical point of view, I gather the real issue is that Mercedes and the very similar Aston Martin do not respond as well to the new aero rules by Ross Brawn, whereas Red Bull with its high rake concept, is less affected by the changes.

So, if that is the case, then some of the changes that Mercedes and AM make will result in improvement over the next couple of races.

Not sure if we are going to see a rush to high rake cars. But if so, I gather this will evolving across multiple teams over the season, kind of like the double diffuser season where one team showed up with an aerodynamic advantage created by rule changes, and it took a half-season for the rest of the teams to catch up.

So, if Red Bull does have an aerodynamic advantage caused by the high rake, then they kind of have to win the championship in the first half of the season, before everyone catches up. The first couple of races will be interesting and very telling.

35 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

So yea, a building season.

Not sure that's how papa Stroll see it.

Whatever the issue AM is having, it is going to be most likely slow and painful recovery process. There are six teams IMO which are significantly ahead of AM after testing. I would agree with the notion that last season might have been fluke of some sort, and AM was looking much better than they really were. After winter however likes Mercedes, RBR, Ferrari, Alpine, McLaren, and I would include AlphaTauri in that group improved a notch or two, and they will not move out of way easily as AM will be trying to move up. One can only wonder how long before announcement that AM has decided to focus their resources onto 2022 season.  

AM got taste of honey last year, and now they want the same. I don't blame them, but for that they cannot have one of their drivers in P12, and the other one almost 5 sec off the pace.  Now, having said that, I am not going to get angry should I have eggs all over my face next week, when suddenly miracle happen, but I doubt that.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Whatever the issue AM is having, it is going to be most likely slow and painful recovery process. There are six teams IMO which are significantly ahead of AM after testing. I would agree with the notion that last season might have been fluke of some sort, and AM was looking much better than they really were. After winter however likes Mercedes, RBR, Ferrari, Alpine, McLaren, and I would include AlphaTauri in that group improved a notch or two, and they will not move out of way easily as AM will be trying to move up. One can only wonder how long before announcement that AM has decided to focus their resources onto 2022 season.  

AM got taste of honey last year, and now they want the same. I don't blame them, but for that they cannot have one of their drivers in P12, and the other one almost 5 sec off the pace.  Now, having said that, I am not going to get angry should I have eggs all over my face next week, when suddenly miracle happen, but I doubt that.

Having said that, and I agree with your post, we have'nt seen the full potential of the AM car yet

11 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Ferrari last year was a disaster

That IS speculation.
I AM confused by UR conclusion. 
Ferrari built AND sold a NUMBER of road-cars WITH the iconic prancin horse ON.  Where was the disaster ?
Scuderia Ferrari however, could have had a better season.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:55 PM, Sakae said:

and recorded slowest lap time from all active drivers

So the prancin horse WERE seen ON track where, NO points R available.
Thank U 4 clearin THAT up Sakae.  The prancin horse WERE gainin valuable
track time & data.  It is like the lottery, got 2 B in it - 2 win it.
If U DON1T buy a lottery ticket.  Will NOT win the lottery.

1 hour ago, lipstick79 said:

That IS speculation.
I AM confused by UR conclusion. 
Ferrari built AND sold a NUMBER of road-cars WITH the iconic prancin horse ON.  Where was the disaster ?
Scuderia Ferrari however, could have had a better season.

It's not a speculation/conclusion, it's FACT

7 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

It's not a speculation/conclusion, it's FACT

It IS 1 short sighted interpretation, of events.
Does NOT mean it is the, correct interpretation.