Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

F1 Test & Racing Calendar (2021)

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

AM ranks 7th

I say.

Interesting. I'll bet they'll beat Tauri, up to 3rd.

"Possibly the juiciest, most intriguing unknown is just how quick Aston Martin are. The team demonstrated impressive long run pace – indeed, our analysis from the three days put them as no less than the third-quickest car in that metric – while although the team failed to put in a proper qualifying simulation on the final day, there were flashes of rapid short run pace too."

I think we're worrying too much, that there is a truth that the mileage acculated does indeed, point to something fast.

Just sort out the reliability please

16 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Interesting. I'll bet they'll beat Tauri, up to 3rd.

"Possibly the juiciest, most intriguing unknown is just how quick Aston Martin are. The team demonstrated impressive long run pace – indeed, our analysis from the three days put them as no less than the third-quickest car in that metric – while although the team failed to put in a proper qualifying simulation on the final day, there were flashes of rapid short run pace too."

I think we're worrying too much, that there is a truth that the mileage acculated does indeed, point to something fast.

Just sort out the reliability please

Good pace would have been recorded. Vettel did not have any, and Stroll had some good laps for P-something. Assumption among so called "experts" is, that Stroll will beat Vettel on Saturday, and Vettel will get upper hand on Sunday.

My own expectations are on ice for now. I have seen nothing yet which would convince me they are good to go this year.

22 hours ago, Sakae said:

AM ranks 7th

I say.

We will see how the two Alpha/Alfa teams do. I don’t really consider them real teams in the long run, but if Red Bull and Ferrari are doing well, they also do well. But they are not designed to move forward and be an actual regular race winning team year after year. I gather that is the goal of AM.

50 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

We will see how the two Alpja/Alfa teams do. I don’t really consider them real teams in the long run, but if Red Bull and Ferrari are doing well, they also do well. But they are not designed to move forward and be an actual regular race winning team year after year. I gather that is the goal of AM.

I need to sh** up now, because I am most negative about their prospect around here. I think they are overrated, last year was a fluke, but in a week or so, lets actual racing do the talking. What is getting to me, that I think I have seen this movie before. Rhetoric, poor training, and I also do remember how it ended.

I am however also flexible and open minded to accept success and admit I was wrong, if they give me reason for it.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

I need to sh** up now, because I am most negative about their prospect around here. I think they are overrated, last year was a fluke, but in a week or so, lets actual racing do the talking. What is getting to me, that I think I have seen this movie before. Rhetoric, poor training, and I also do remember how it ended.

I am however also flexible and open minded to accept success and admit I was wrong, if they give me reason for it.

Well, I do think Aston Martin was a little overrated. Ferrari was certainly going to bounce back and with its large budget and the vestiges thereof, was probably going to bounce back to 3rd place. McLaren is on the rise, and there were times late last season when Alpine/Renault looked to be the third best team out there. I suspect they are also on the rise, especially now that they are budgeted up to the cap and have Alonso on board. So yea, it is kind of natural to expect Aston Martin to fall back to sixth. The question is: Is Aston Martin ready to beat Alpine and McLaren? Before the season, I thought it was possible. After testing, clearly they are not quite within reach.

On the other hand, I do think they have a long-term ambitious plan, which may well mean they could be a real competitive team in 3-4 years. It becomes easier to break into the top 3 now that there is a budget cap. We shall see how Daddy Stroll does.

22 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

We will see how the two Alpja/Alfa teams do. I don’t really consider them real teams in the long run, but if Red Bull and Ferrari are doing well, they also do well. But they are not designed to move forward and be an actual regular race winning team year after year. I gather that is the goal of AM.

True Rus, especially the AM part. I think from testing there are conclusions that Alfa Romeo might be as quick or even quicker than Ferrari which might pose some problems. It will be a real shame if the customer beats the supplier with it's vaunted strength, although, with Binotto at the helm, I do actually think it can happen. You still have a top driver in Kimi and Gio has improved every year.

What are the goals of those teams then? Talent spotting? The thrill of racing? 

They inevitably end up,... near bankcrupt

7 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

On the other hand, I do think they have a long-term ambitious plan, which may well mean they could be a real competitive team in 3-4 years. It becomes easier to break into the top 3 now that there is a budget cap. We shall see how Daddy Stroll does.

I forgot about that

32 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Well, I do think Aston Martin was a little overrated. Ferrari was certainly going to bounce back and with its large budget and the vestiges thereof, was probably going to bounce back to 3rd place. McLaren is on the rise, and there were times late last season when Alpine/Renault looked to be the third best team out there. I suspect they are also on the rise, especially now that they are budgeted up to the cap and have Alonso on-board. So yea, it is kind of natural to expect Aston Martin to fall back to sixth. The question is: Is Aston Martin ready to beat Alpine and McLaren. Before the season, I thought it was possible. After testing, clearly they are not quite within reach.

It was said that AM is building a new facility, and it is supposedly be finish in a year or two. Then calibration, etc. What happened this year before testing leads me to believe, they are bone dry on resources right now. They will be in tights with upgrades be it quantity or expediency. I think we will hear from them soon - we are concentrating on 2022. That's my prediction, but, again, I will be happy to be wrong.

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

True Rus, especially the AM part. I think from testing there are conclusions that Alfa Romeo might be as quick or even quicker than Ferrari which might pose some problems. It will be a real shame if the customer beats the supplier with it's vaunted strength, although, with Binotto at the helm, I do actually think it can happen. You still have a top driver in Kimi and Gio has improved every year.

What are the goals of those teams then? Talent spotting? The thrill of racing? 

They inevitably end up,... near bankcrupt

Well, certainly backmarkers have a motivation to cheat a little in testing to get some good times and some free press. Never hurts. So, I will wait until qualifying and race day before I make a decision as to where Alfa really is at.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

I think we will hear from them soon - we are concentrating on 2022. That's my prediction, but, again, I will be happy to be wrong.

Well, I am sure that will be the ultimate decision. Whether Vettel was aware that is what will happen and whether he is going to be patiently part of the process will be interesting to watch.

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well, certainly backmarkers have a motivation to cheat a little in testing to get some good times and some free press. Never hurts. So, I will wait until qualifying and race day before I make a decision as to where Alfa really is at.

I've learned through the years Kimi ( I'm a fan) never shows his true hand in testing. Maybe he did this time, we don't know. 

Yes, let's wait till qualifying

16 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Well, I am sure that will be the ultimate decision. Whether Vettel was aware that is what will happen and whether he is going to be patiently part of the process will be interesting to watch.

From recent, pre-season rhetoric by AM leadership, each in its own careful way admitting, they do need time to progress into position of legitimate rivals for front running teams. Numbers like 3 to 5 years were floating around. Whatever it is, I am however confused over Vettel's position.

• Sebastian on more than one occasion stated he doesn't want to stay for too long in F1. (Was he thinking about Alonso and some others..?) Is he ready then just drive around and watch grass grow as the team is rebuilding?
  • During initial pre-contract talks, this subject of building the team must have, safe to assume, come up. What are his thoughts? I don't know that, but he sunk some money into this (as rumour has it). Stroll must have done really some big talking.
  • Stroll has certain expectation from Seb, namely, assisting with elevating team's mindset from back-marker, or mid-fielder team to a frontrunner, hungry for podiums on regular basis.
  • When asked, Stroll admitted having thoughts about Hamilton, should he knock on the door. I believe him. So, where does this leave Vettel? Probably hanging dry.

My thoughts - Stroll will toss Vettel to the curb for Hamilton as PR stunt. For that reason Seb needs to be careful with those people, and leave ASAP, if the opportunity for him should arise. RBR, MB, or retirement with his head high, but get out. That's my recommendation.

A few more thoughts.

On the level talk...

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

From recent, pre-season- rhetoric by AM leadership, each in its own careful way admitting, they do need time to progress into position of legitimate rivals for front running teams. Numbers like 3 to 5 years were floating around. Whatever it is, I am however confused over Vettel's position.

• Sebastian on more than one occasion stated he doesn't want to stay for too long in F1. (Was he thinking about Alonso and some others..?) Is he ready then just drive around and watch grass grow as the team is rebuilding?
  • During initial pre-contract talks, this subject of building the team must have, safe to assume, come up. What are his thoughts? I don't know that, but he sunk some money into this (as rumour has it). Stroll must have done really some big talking.
  • Stroll has certain expectation from Seb, namely, assisting with elevating team's mindset from back-marker, or mid-fielder team to a frontrunner, hungry for podiums on regular basis.
  • When asked, Stroll admitted having thoughts about Hamilton, should he knock on the door. I believe him. So, where does this leave Vettel? Probably hanging dry.

My thoughts - Stroll will toss Vettel to the curb for Hamilton as PR stunt. For that reason Seb needs to be careful with those people, and leave ASAP, if the opportunity for him should arise. RBR, MB, or retirement with his head high, but get out. That's my recommendation.

A few more thoughts.

On the level talk...

I have to admit that is a possibility

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

have to admit that is a possibility

Anythin IS a possibility, F1 IS IF backwards - Murryism 

On 3/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, Ruslan said:

McLaren has been in trouble for a few years

Organizational strategic change.
Peel the onion.
Best of the rest, is hardly a situation of bein in trouble. 
An independent team, hopin 2 make the next step - becomin a podium REGULAR.

Too many races

Not sport, but money, money, money...

I hope Dome will stop that madness at some point of time in the future. Ignore people like Brown, and use common sense instead.

There IS an article somewherer that, the 2021 season could B the season the fans HAVE been waitin 4.
> I did NOT know they R bringin BACK the grid girls

On 3/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, Sakae said:

and use common sense instead

Common sense is NOT very common anymore

DOMENICALI: SPRINT QUALIFYING CAN BE FINALISED BEFORE IMOLA

Will changes of this kind generate dividing line between traditionalist (as I am one), and new generation forming their likes and dislikes with the sport? Liberty is not happy with current qualifying format, and looking to spruce it up? I don't know what was wrong with the system we had when Murray Walker was on the mike, but I was perfectly fine with that. Not every change is towards better.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

is towards better

Ambiguous.  Better 4 whom ?
When Murray Walker was on the mic, F1 had a different target audience.
Traditional`s, then generation XTC (baby boomers) now we have the millennial audience.
It is NOT just about bum`s on seats - TV audience.  With the millennial`s now have the streamin audience.

3 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Ambiguous.  Better 4 whom ?
When Murray Walker was on the mic, F1 had a different target audience.
Traditional`s, then generation XTC (baby boomers) now we have the millennial audience.
It is NOT just about bum`s on seats - TV audience.  With the millennial`s now have the streamin audience.

You are free to interpret "better" any which way you wish. From my selfish point of view better is meant in terms of my enjoyment from entertainment, for Liberty it is perhaps all that plus totality of viewership (gate, TV, on the iPhone, etc.). I thought it is self-explanatory, and no Ph.D dissertation is required what "better" means to each of us.

Liberty is planning 3 such events this season. I am at lost to understand how they are going to draw reliable long ranging conclusions based on such small test sample, which is also pretty much hindered by COVID-19 restrictions. 

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I thought it is self-explanatory, and no Ph.D dissertation is required what "better" means to each of us.

U do 2 MUCH thinkin - probably the first time anybody HAS said thast about U.
Better OBVIOUSLY means an improvement.  Though the explanation IS required for the "how"  - how is it improved?
It is CONSISTENT.  Cars STILL go around a track 4 2 hours - no improvement.

The theory of mixin it up 2 make it more "excitin" is, the theory of improvement/better.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I am at lost to understand how they are going to draw reliable long ranging conclusions based on such small test sample, which is also pretty much hindered by COVID-19 restrictions. 

The current situation IS their get-out.
They WILL do what they want 2do anyway.  The covID-19 situation gives them an exit / get-out strategy.
It wasn`t US - it were the pandemic - reasonin.
The pandemic IS a perfect exit strategy

Old is gold... 💪.. Although this award is not all fair to those guys who are starting towards the front, coz there are more opportunities for cars to overtake if they are in the mid pack, so it doesn't matter who ends up on top of this list.

Then again,, I'm so glad to see these guys up there.. 👏👏

Screenshot_20211123-171636_Facebook.thumb.jpg.35ad3b1660741c19dfacb74425443c9f.jpg

Indeed plackpebel, in Vettel`s glory years at RedBull Renault.
He would just run and hide at the front.  Racking up statistic after statistic.
Gettin his name in the record books, fastest lap after fastest lap....
Mercedes have now taken most of those records away from him.
Leavin Vettel in a midfield battle 4 AM after the Ferrari madness.
Theoretically SV SHOULD B up there with his multi WDC`s
Just like Alonso and Kimi

The new hybrid rules have not been fair to all the driver's who didn't drive for Mercedes.. it's unfortunate.. FIA let them run away with it...