Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team (AMR22)

40 minutes ago, Sakae said:

IMHO Seb has very limited options right now. Stay and hope for the best, or retire. I am still short on accurate understanding why there was collision with Ocon. Was it a racing accident, or Seb misjudged car reaction, and what needs to happen to avoid future reoccurrences. Is Seb loosing it?

Still learning the car... He said so himself

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Still learning the car... He said so himself

Brad, you are following the same media outlets as I do. You must have noticed ongoing attacks on Vettel already, learning about his car or not. He has to get a grip on his horse ASAP, there is no way around it. Today Hulk got confirmed as a reserve driver. Just literally minutes later I read already that he is probably replacing Vettel.

Seb is in a fish bowl, and that's the way it is. Honeymoon was over rather quickly.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Sebastian has noweher to go

I am unsure of this.  Indeed he may NOT have a front runnin seat 2 go 2.
I am thinkin, mayB a seat CAN go 2 with Williams ? - unsure of contract and seat availability.
Williams WOULD B a similar situation 2 when he were at Red Bull. 
Recent investment, lookin 2 go places.  Williams COULD afford his salary.
2 go forwards, sometimes HAVE 2 go backwards FIRST then U CAN go forwards - like doin a cha cha

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

Brad, you are following the same media outlets as I do. You must have noticed ongoing attacks on Vettel already, learning about his car or not. He has to get a grip on his horse ASAP, there is no way around it. Today Hulk got confirmed as a reserve driver. Just literally minutes later I read already that he is probably replacing Vettel.

Seb is in a fish bowl, and that's the way it is. Honeymoon was over rather quickly.

I see it more in a development role. Since testing restrictions has scuppered Seb. They need to do hard work in the background, who better than Hulk.

Hope I'm right

7 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I see it more in a development role. Since testing restrictions has scuppered Seb. They need to do hard work in the background, who better than Hulk.

Hope I'm right

Your explanation is plausible. Hulk is a good fit as a replacement driver (as proved when COVID struck or will strike again), and also a development guy.

Hello

Is Otmar put under pressure to perform or else..? I would be actually surprised if that is true. My perception is, that Szafnauer is performing very well with resources to his disposal.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Hello

Is Otmar put under pressure to perform or else..? I would be actually surprised if that is true. My perception is, that Szafnauer is performing very well with resources to his disposal.

What's going on here. Maybe influence from Seb, don't know

Money, money, money...

There is nothing better than Grand Prix series full of, if not only, automakers (IMO). This mix of Investors (make money) vs Racers (car people promoting a product - a car) in series is simply no good. 

Yes.

This is a small sample why I am fond of the guy.

From the interview with TPs, Szafnauer continues to insist that Sebastian needs more time. I tend to agree with that position, however occupying P15 seems off by any standard in my book. It goes beyond a different powertrain explanation why he was slow. They tried new upgrades yesterday. Again, good explanation, but not enough.  How he will go from that far back to top 5 (where I want to see him at this point of time) seems an impossible dream.

Aston Martin "collateral damage" with FIA targeting Mercedes - Wolff

Well, that's just great.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:15 PM, Sakae said:

Hulk is a good fit as a replacement driver

Indeed, similar 2 back in the day, DC.
A nearly driver, who has never made it though dependable 2 do a job when needed.

Team quotes:

Sebastian Vettel (13th, 1:15.394): "Overall, I think it was a reasonable qualifying session. I think there was a little bit left on the table in some of my laps, but it is obviously very tight and a tenth or two can cost you quite a lot of positions. I feel we are making progress, but I am still missing the full confidence to extract the maximum. I am still not entirely happy, but I am happier than last time [in Bahrain]. I can see and feel the progress we are making: session by session, lap by lap, we are getting that little bit better. I do not know what to expect tomorrow because all the teams appear to be very closely matched in the middle of the grid, and it is a narrow track where overtaking is not easy. There is also the question of whether it will rain, which might help us. Regardless, we need a clean getaway tomorrow and then we can take it from there."

Otmar Szafnauer, Chief Operating Officer: "A solid afternoon where both drivers were pushing hard. Lance's best effort was discounted for a breach of track limits, but he progressed to Q3 once again and is well placed to score points tomorrow. We saw in Bahrain that we were more competitive in the race compared to qualifying and I anticipate the same here. Lance should be able to race the cars ahead of him, just as he did in Bahrain. Our race pace should also help us bring Sebastian into contention for points. We will do our homework tonight to be fully prepared for tomorrow with plenty of strategy options."

Szafnauer seems less excited over q-results than Vettel is.

Stroll Jr. has done well at Imola. Seb had trouble already before race start, and then DNF. Another day to forget.

I am not suggesting anything dark, but Vettel seems to have more problems on his car than his teammate. (Similar situation in 2014.) I am not sure what AM will do about it. TP was talking again about Seb needs more running in the car, which is fine, we heard that before, but I am not sure he explained in post race interview why Vettel had that many pit stops at Imola. I doubt that has anything to do with how much millage he has in that car. Not really satisfactory explanation from Otmar. Some, but not all problems:

- Failed tire gamble

- Brakes

- FiA' penalty

- What else?

41 minutes ago, Sakae said:

- What else?

As Aston Martin - simply NOT up 2 the challenge of buildin a reliable F1 car.

12 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

As Aston Martin - simply NOT up 2 the challenge of buildin a reliable F1 car.

RP was able to built a reliable car last year. The same team (albeit under a different name) should be able to carry the same level of reliability forward. Mandated changes to a car should not be related to reliability issues. The car needs to be however sorted out, and that may take time and greater millage. Unfortunately some bad problems are playing out mostly on my favourite driver's car. 

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

The same team (albeit under a different name) should be able to carry the same level of reliability forward

Another good point there Sakae

What is FiA up to? Destroying Vettel psychologically?

Voices were heard in Bahrain and Imola how harsh FiA is treating Vettel. 

But with Vettel’s Aston Martin team having failed to have his tyres bolted on five minutes before the race start, the German was awarded a 10-second stop/go penalty for the infringement 39 minutes into the Grand Prix – with Vettel revealing his frustration at the late decision after the race.

“I think we could have had a better race if the FIA was more alert,” said Vettel. “We broke a rule, I guess, that’s why we got a penalty, but they didn’t bother [to penalise us] until way into the race, so by that time obviously, the penalty cost us a lot more than it would have earlier in the race.

This malpractice has been noticed for number of years. Most painfully I felt about it in that race in Mexico when Seb handed on the radio recommendation to his team what Whiting can do...

Your words ring like loud symbals Sakae..

“I am of the opinion that the Stroll-Wolff combination is a very dangerous one for Sebastian Vettel,” Kolles said.

“Many factors are playing a role in the background,” he added, without elaborating any further.

Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll owns the Aston Martin F1 Team and British automotive company Aston Martin Lagonda, and it is rumoured that Wolff recently purchased a stake in the car-maker.

Kolles also commented on his previous relationship with Wolff and fired a jibe at the Austrian.

“Mr Wolff was a business partner of mine – I brought him into Formula 1, even if some people don’t want to know anything about that.”

What does he mean??? exactly

4 hrs ago I've posted the same in MB thread.

Kolles's words regarding risk for Vettel are open for interpretation. My perception of what he is suggesting is, that Vettel will be sacrificed, if necessary, in money-plans Stroll is playing. He will explain it to Seb afterfact as "investment risk" which did not worked out or something to that effect.

Sebastian has several cards in the game.

• 40 MM.
  • Advancement of his sporting career. Hulk could drive for AM in 2022, thus Seb has no guaranteed he will drive next year.
  • Legacy image.

Seb could lose all of it under certain conditions which I can envisage. I am not saying that will happen, but it was risk I have understood when he undersigned contract, and Kolles just saying or confirmng my earlier thoughts. I have however nothing specific right now which makes this worst scenario imminent. Mine is just guessing, and I don't know how much inside Kolles has.

FiA punishing AM last year indicated separation, and potential messy ride with impaired car in 2021. This is why I've slot them in P7 as a team before season started.

It IS obvious what WILL happen.
Seb WERE signed as a high profile driver 2 raise awareness 2 the Aston Martin brand - 4 WDC`s.
Seb is NOT able 2 take the Team / brand forward.
If Seb thought about it, he WOULD get HIS people 2 side step.
Right NOW nobody needs Seb.  He NEEDS 2 make Aston Martin need HIM.
Get his people 2 contact the media - B James Bond - Bond drives an Aston Martin
That IS marketin 4 the Aston Martin F1 brand right THERE.

2 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

It IS obvious what WILL happen.

Enlighten us, please.

Seb WERE signed as a high profile driver 2 raise awareness 2 the Aston Martin brand - 4 WDC`s.

Reasons for his hire were by the team's TP and the owner explained somewhat differently. Vettel, due to his accomplishments, were hired among others to elevate team's spirit from mid-field mind body of men to a team with winning attitude.

Seb is NOT able 2 take the Team / brand forward. Right NOW nobody needs Seb.

As long as AM fulfilled theirs part of bargin (which they definitely did not).

Despite all noise and BIG advanced talk, what this English iconic team delivered is bad, smelly joke of a car. There is no other way to put it. I could consider your statement as a serious proposition, however based on all what transpired since day one in testing until today,  it is too soon IMO for drawing conclusions about future after two races. Some improvements might be expected, but probably just enough to save faces at AM, rather than to make dent in the championship. Sure, there has to be change. Current situation is not sustainable, but change to what..? Maybe you know (but, again, I doubt that too).

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

What does he mean??? exactly

To put it in a nutshell .. Stroll is a business man.. and he probably has some sortofa deal with wolff to help the AM project perform better (then it would under natural circumstances of building an F1 team). To make sure Wolff is accountable, Wolff too has been made to invest in the company.

FIA was probably upset that RP got away with cheating while copying Merc cars, and they could not do Anything about it.. so they figured out a way to help level the performance for the whole field by chopping of a part of the floor that gave Merc and AM the added advantage..

Stroll has paid top dollar for the making sure last years RP and this years AM car was competitive, but this year its not paying off, and Stroll ain't happy about that..

They have invested in Vettel too, and if it does not pay off, there would be some tough questions to answer..

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

To put it in a nutshell .. Stroll is a business man.. and he probably has some sortofa deal with wolff to help the AM project perform better (then it would under natural circumstances of building an F1 team). To make sure Wolff is accountable, Wolff too has been made to invest in the company.

FIA was probably upset that RP got away with cheating while copying Merc cars, and they could not do Anything about it.. so they figured out a way to help level the performance for the whole field by chopping of a part of the floor that gave Merc and AM the added advantage..

Stroll has paid top dollar for the making sure last years RP and this years AM car was competitive, but this year its not paying off, and Stroll ain't happy about that..

They have invested in Vettel too, and if it does not pay off, there would be some tough questions to answer..

Good post bp. 

On 4/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, lipstick79 said:

I am unsure of this.  Indeed he may NOT have a front runnin seat 2 go 2.
I am thinkin, mayB a seat CAN go 2 with Williams ? - unsure of contract and seat availability.
Williams WOULD B a similar situation 2 when he were at Red Bull. 
Recent investment, lookin 2 go places.  Williams COULD afford his salary.
2 go forwards, sometimes HAVE 2 go backwards FIRST then U CAN go forwards - like doin a cha cha

God help him if he goes with Williams. Georgie Russell is the anointed one there and NO second driver will be allowed to even compete with him. Seb MUST be #1 driver, or he will languish the same way Kubica did in 2019 in an inferior car (The car was inferior despite Williams lies... I mean assurances). 

7 hours ago, blackpebel said:

Well said.