Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team (AMR22)

11 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Can't imagine Seb driving around in circles  in midfield for years to come. He clarified this point recently, that he is in F1 to WIN. I think he will sus out his situation with AM next year with the new regs, see if there's any chance of improvement. 

If not, goodbye to my fav driver

If I am not mistaken, his contract is only for next year. I am left guessing why it was not signed for 2 or 3 years. Potential reasons could make a long list, and hard to say which party of the contract was hesitant to conclude the deal. If you recall, his was one of the last ones this year. It could had been very well Seb who has held up for obvious reasons, but then I have my own opinion about team owner as well. Rumor that AM wanted Alonso was explained later on. Interest in him was conditional, should Vettel decided to retire, and AM needed a substitute driver. As far as we know in public today, there was no attempt to kick Vettel out end of 2021. Had he left, it would had been under his own volition.  I do however disagree with Sebastian, that signing of Whitmarsh was a good, team strengthening, move. I think it's exactly opposite.Other then that, good luck to him.

29 minutes ago, Sakae said:

If I am not mistaken, his contract is only for next year. I am left guessing why it was not signed for 2 or 3 years. Potential reasons could make a long list, and hard to say which party of the contract was hesitant to conclude the deal. If you recall, his was one of the last ones this year. It could had been very well Seb who has held up for obvious reasons, but then I have my own opinion about team owner as well. Rumor that AM wanted Alonso was explained later on. Interest in him was conditional, should Vettel decided to retire, and AM needed a substitute driver. As far as we know in public today, there was no attempt to kick Vettel out end of 2021. Had he left, it would had been under his own volition.  I do however disagree with Sebastian, that signing of Whitmarsh was a good, team strengthening, move. I think it's exactly opposite.Other then that, good luck to him.

Yep, as you stated... It was his decision. The British cabal media suggested otherwise

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

If not, goodbye to my fav driver

What else has he got 2 achieve in F1 ?
He HAS the WDC`s when IN the fastest car.  Set fastest laps after fastest laps at that time.
2 leave his mark in the history books.  Mercedes came along and rewritin those records.
Have shortened his time.  Seb is the new Alonso - wrong place at the wrong time.

D/T 2021.11.12  21:31 CET

'I’ve no intention of leaving' says Aston boss Szafnauer after being linked with shock switch to Alpine

Good.

Noted and filed.

23 hours ago, Sakae said:

Aston boss Szafnauer after being linked with shock switch to Alpine

Switchin from 1 midfield team 2 another midfield team hardly expresses desire.
Though lookin at it another way.  Goin from a customer team 2 a works team, does show
commanding attributes and intension.

D/T 2022.01.05  14:58 CET

OTMAR SZAFNAUER LEAVES ASTON MARTIN

Shock, but not a surprise. I've feared that to happen ever since the ex-McLaren person was hired. This is not good news for Sebastian from any angle I can think off.  Tragedy of musical chairs he experienced at Ferrari now chases him to that AM place. Seb deserves better, but he cannot say he wasn't warned. Even retirement would have been better for him. I am sharing Helmut Marko's views about this.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Even retirement would have been better for him

I respectfully disagree.
He HAS the multi wdc`s.  Achieved in the fastest car.
He needs 2 prove himself, away from the Newey designed car.
Or he will always have the tag of, only achieved in the fastest car.
He won because of the car.
Ferrari did NOT work out.
The move 2 AM were his chance 2 show his abilities.
Start on a blank page and all that

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

ever since the ex-McLaren

?? That is a different OTMAR 
SZAFNAUER was never at Mclaren

On 1/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, lipstick79 said:

?? That is a different OTMAR 
SZAFNAUER was never at Mclaren

Don't put words into my mouth, please. I've never said that Otmar was working for McLaren. 

13 hours ago, Sakae said:

Otmar was working for McLaren

Words NOT put in2 UR mouth - 
                                                             Otmar was working for Otmar
> There is NO such thing as a selfless good deed

Strategy, the BEST way to manipulate a situation ....

5 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Words NOT put in2 UR mouth - 
                                                             Otmar was working for Otmar
> There is NO such thing as a selfless good deed

Strategy, the BEST way to manipulate a situation ....

This is turning into a high school food fight. Show me where did I say Otmar worked for McLaren, since I cannot find it. Closest what I said was following after announcement that Otmar is leaving:: 

"Shock, but not a surprise. I've feared that to happen ever since the ex-McLaren person [Whitmarsh] was [recently] hired." 

Where I was wrong is guessing role MW will assume at AM. I thought he will replace Otmar as TP, and I did not expect hiring of Mike Krack, who appears to bears a good CV. I don't know much more more about his past over what we learn in the news. Having said that, this man could be a good card, and one day I will probably applaud Stroll for this choice. Interestingly enough, he met Sebastian at BMW around 2006 (so I read). 

I however also think that Otmar was a good TP., and why he had to leave I am not clear. With very little he has done much for the team. One has to admire that. Can we say the same about Mr. Whitmarsh? Media used to claim Whitmarsh had pretty good budget at McLaren.

Some voices from Germany fear that Otmar's departure is bad news for Vettel.

D/T 2022.01.17  08:59 CET

After all those bloated pronouncements in the past, current co-owner of AM was quoted a few days ago that they are in second year of their five years march to the top. Sounds to me like preemptive strike for what's coming, or put it differently, don't expect much.

I am however rather confused by such rhetoric. This season is suppose to be a new beginning for everybody. Five years cycle used to be estimated time needed for new entrants to shine under regulations in pre-hybrid era (2O+y back). So, I am not sure what they are up to at AM.

On a different level, they could be anywhere on the ladder at the early stages, depends how much help they receive from rivals (Hit and miss y.2014 all over?). What I do however expect is, that they will be pushed hard to keep up. They are new people on board at AM, and they are not where they should be on production side. I am not sure how far they are with moving into new facilities. It is obvious there are, and will continue to pop up distractions for some time, and the usual set of technical anomalies when new setup is launched.

The most pressing question is, will they be permitted to recover? I am not sure that regulations explicitly state so.

I am hard to press to guess anything in any team. What is a safe bet is to expect 3 or 4 teams to continue where they left due to solid grounds they stood on for past couple of years. A factor I will watch for is how big teams handle mandated contraction. It is something which could mess really things up. Fact is, no one knows what to expect. Several prominent drivers were rather pessimistic regarding car handling. We will know more in March. 

28 minutes ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.01.17  08:59 CET

After all those bloated pronouncements in the past, current co-owner of AM was quoted a few days ago that they are in second year of their five years march to the top. Sounds to me like preemptive strike for what's coming, or put it differently, don't expect much.

I am however rather confused by such rhetoric. This season is suppose to be a new beginning for everybody. Five year cycle used to be estimated time needed for new entrants to shine under regulations in pre-hybrid era. So, I am not sure what they are up to at AM.

On some different level, they could be anywhere on the ladder at the early stages, depends how much help they receive from rivals (Y.2014 all over?). What I do however expect is, that they will be pushed hard to keep up. They are new people on board at AM, and they are not where they should be on production side. I am not sure how far they are with moving into new facilities. It is obvious there are, and will continue to pop up distractions for some time, and the usual set of technical anomalies when new setup is launched.

I am hard to press to guess anything in any team. What is a safe bet is to expect 3 or 4 teams to continue where they left due to solid grounds they stood on for past couple of years. A factor I will watch for is how big teams handle mandated contraction. It is something which could mess really things up. Fact is, no one knows what to expect. Several prominent drivers were rather pessimistic regarding car handling. We will know more in March. 

True, look what happened last year. I really hope it was just a blip.

They don't seem to have in-season development muscle. Hope it changes under Whitmarsh and Krack

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

True, look what happened last year. I really hope it was just a blip.

They don't seem to have development muscle. Hope it changes under Whitmarsh and Krack

Good or bad, car is there. One can help by not interfering, and the second one, I do expect, will move rudder incrementally. There is the open question where is the transfer from RBR, who at the end will be also treated as a newcomer. RB promised a long, legal challenge. 

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Good or bad, car is there. One can help by not interfering, and the second one, I do expect, will move rudder incrementally. There is the open question where is the transfer from RBR, who at the end will be also treated as a newcomer. RB promised a long, legal challenge. 

totally unnecessary

1 minute ago, Sakae said:

Read comments section. Some of posts express accurately what i do think about this situation. It is clear that most do think Krack will be OK, but others..????

Those armchair experts.

Hope he succeeds

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Those armchair experts.

Hope he succeeds

clarkma5  a day ago

Krack is probably a good hire, it's Whitmarsh I'm more uncertain about, his time at McLaren did not give me much confidence and while I understand there was a lot more going on there than just him, he gave off an impression of very weak-willed inefficacy in his later McLaren stint at least. There is a certain placidity to Whitmarsh that I see working well with Lawrence Stroll, but then the problem is that I don't think 'working well with Lawrence Stroll' is going to be a net benefit to the team!

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

There is a certain placidity to Whitmarsh that I see working well with Lawrence Stroll

That IS the PROBLEM - placidity.

AM R eager 2 B seen - similar 2 Red Bull Racing., in a different way.
When Whitmarsh were at Mclaren.  The name already established - just a matter of keepin things consistent, the placidity.

32 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Why is it not up to TP (Tim Krack) to announce his team's HR changes? Tim and Dr. Marko apparently know each other personally for some time on friendly basis. I don't know why RB back off from escalating Follows departure, but outcome was inevitable, and battle for the non-existent hill was just waste of energy.. Sensible people do sensible things (usually).