Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team (AMR22)

D/T 2022.02.17  08:16 (CET)

Vettel expecting a "very different" season with Aston Martin

... "The new cars, at this stage, everybody is hoping to be at the top," he explained. 

"I think the podium will still look the same this year. We hope we are in much better shape than last year...

Sounds like I am on the same page as Seb. It is not however certain is will rise up, and who falls from grace. Probably top 5 last year will be there (somewhere). Dr. Marko thinks that his team may need initially some time to climb back due to unfinished work on the new car.

AM is definitely in the top 5, and could even spring a surprise. As far as I can see, they have a very innovative approach to their design that could well be better than McLaren.

D/T 2022.02.17  18:10 (CET)

Alpine have confirmed that recent speculation had substance with the appointment of Otmar Szafnauer as their new team principal. 

Good one.

Testing schedule for drivers - Seb was put into disadvantage. He is first to go, and based on history, that's mean (AGAIN), instead turning laps, he will be sitting in the garage watching mechanics at work...

First day in the morning is seldom productive. Systems check, assuming car is running, and for that you can use any junior, like Stroll Jr.

10 hours ago, blackpebel said:

AM is definitely in the top 5, and could even spring a surprise. As far as I can see, they have a very innovative approach to their design that could well be better than McLaren.

What's with your opinion on that?

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

What's with your opinion on that?

Mercedes engine. And by the look of it a clean and innovative interpretation of the new aerodynamic rules.

A report from Germany claims several Formula 1 cars need to shave off at least 10 kilograms to get closer to the new minimum weight.

Auto Motor und Sport quote an unnamed team boss as saying: “I asked around. Some of the cars are two digits above the minimum weight.”

The new regulations have seen the requirement for a Formula 1 car to now be above 795 kilograms, a 43kg increase on their previous iterations.

So, that's what Seb was talking about, when he said his AM is too heavy (overweight).

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Good. I forgot the limit, but as you know, only minimum weight is stipulated. If design permits, the team should come as close to it as possible.

"Vettel concedes Aston Martin still have a “mountain” to climb with their all-new car.

“There is still a lot to learn, the car wants to be driven in a different way,” he told the official F1 website.

“I’m playing with driving styles and what I can do, equally we are playing with the car trying to sort some of the problems and challenges we face and find solutions.

“There is still a lot to do, everyone is flat out and there is still a very, very steep high mountain to climb.

“I can’t say at the minute we are seeing the peak but it is fun, the challenge is fun.

“There is the belief that one day we will reach the peak, hopefully just before the season."

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/819228/Vettel_Aston_Martin_not_seeing_the_peak_of_the_mountain/

Could reach peak before the season... of the car. That soundsquite optimistic, from the driver himself

10 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

"Vettel concedes Aston Martin still have a “mountain” to climb with their all-new car.

“There is still a lot to learn, the car wants to be driven in a different way,” he told the official F1 website.

Can this be interpreted as "car is not responding as I would like it, and I need to therefore re-learn how to drive an F1 car all over again"?

D/T 2022.03.04 6:15 UTC

Aston Martin "potential" key to new Vettel deal - new boss Krack

I really don't think Seb has will mentally suffer for much longer. He has recently admitted that much. Krack has struck right tone with me. Sebastian will probably sign for another 2 years (if the car has potential), and then either he will stand on the podium, or takes off to life sans F1. In a few weeks we will learn more. 

Yes, that's Seb

That's why I like and respect Seb. I am lost of words why some posters on the internet wear as their signature "life long Vettel hater". It seems we are really different in many aspect.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

and then either he will stand on the podium, or takes off to life sans F1

What has he got left 2 prove / achieve in F1 ?
He left his mark on the sport WITH a Newey car.
ALL that is left is 2 achieve WITHOUT Newey involvement - hence @ AM
If that does NOT look like it is goin 2 happen - what is the point in hangin around?

D/T 2022.03.04 10:03 UTC

Sebastian spoke on that issue not too long ago. Paraphrasing, "I am in the racing to win, not just to drive around". I think essence of his participation in racing is well captured by his statement.

21 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.03.04 6:15 UTC

Aston Martin "potential" key to new Vettel deal - new boss Krack

I really don't think Seb has will mentally suffer for much longer. He has recently admitted that much. Krack has struck right tone with me. Sebastian will probably sign for another 2 years (if the car has potential), and then either he will stand on the podium, or takes off to life sans F1. In a few weeks we will learn more. 

Yes, that's Seb

That's why I like and respect Seb. I am lost of words why some posters on the internet wear as their signature "life long Vettel hater". It seems we are really different in many aspect.

Beautiful words...

Describing Vettel as "a very nice guy", Krack believes Vettel's qualities can only help improve Aston Martin to go on and achieve the aim of owner Lawrence Stroll of becoming champions in a few years' time.

"He manages to surround the team around him by not being nice all the time but by being respectful," added Krack.

"This is an ethic I share largely, so this is one of the reasons why I think we get along very well.

"But then, compared to when I knew him last, he is now a four-time world champion and he has accrued a huge amount of experience.

"He is a very clever guy, that is also why he manages to combine his experience, channel it in the right way and not say 'In the past I had this, in the past I had that'.

"He knows exactly what he needs to go faster, so from that point of view, it's great to have him and he can steer us as a team in our development."

Also on team performance and dynamics

Seb could really have someone top-ranked behind him in a looooong time, which is a good thing I feel.

9 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.03.05 7:09 UTC

Little more about the equipment with #5 decal on it.

Palmer paints a gloomy picture of Aston Martin’s test

I honestly think these issues are minor, if you read up on the other F1 sport journalist, they paint a different picture...

I believe they have a good car, they just need to fine-tune it

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Talking about re-designs Sakae, we'll look no further...

That is not going to be cheap. Could had been avoided with little (engineering) foresight at the helm. Redesign merely confirms the car is slow. What other reason would be there for spending money on limited budget.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

I was not alone who has warned Seb not to go there.

The team adores Seb. It's clear to see. I'm sure he wants to return the favour.

I don't see any other team that would favour Seb more. The other top drivers at the top teams were already established. Just bad timing

D/T 2022.03.20 7:46 UTC

That is the view of former F1 driver Ralf Schumacher, who noted that despite his eleventh-hour call-up to replace the ill Sebastian Vettel, Nico Hulkenberg still managed to out-qualify the Aston Martin regular.

“It’s an understatement to say that he was beaten by a teammate,” Schumacher said in Bahrain.

“I believe that when someone who has not driven for a year and a half comes in and is three tenths faster than you straight away, you should think very carefully about whether you are doing everything right.”

Some paddock insiders even said the result was “embarrassing” for Stroll, whose father Lawrence owns the Silverstone based team.

Credit for article to one Stop Strategy.

One wonders if Mr. Stroll will lash out, and who is going to be on receiving end. It's not going to be his son, that much is a safe bet. This is what happen when you shake team's structure in wrong moment. Timing is everything. Teams which sustained stability usually had more success in the F1. Mr. Whitmarsh upon his arrival said, he will be massively involved in running the F1 team. I wish then he should take full responsibility for what we have seen yesterday.  

To put it straight, the team is now run by Mr. Stroll, Whitmarsh, Krack, several other directors on the inside...any other volunteer?.

Based what Stroll Jr. said, and he has some inside into what's going on, it doesn't looks like some quick overnight fix, and it remains to be seen if it can be decent after several races, or they start working on next year car. Seb becomes officially a bee keeper by Christmas.