Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team (AMR22)

Oh Wow, something sensible...

"Stroll has dismissed suggestions Sebastian Vettel is no longer the driver he once was.

The Canadian has also criticised the timing of Ferrari’s decision to replace him with Carlos Sainz. 

Stroll told Chinese website Xinhua: "A four-time world champion doesn't forget how to drive all of a sudden. Having your contract terminated before the season even starts isn't the best way of motivating somebody to get them focused on the job at hand.

"This guy has got something to prove, and he's raring to go."

On 3/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, Sakae said:

I say, go for it.

I'de rather prefer RB to Merc. Merc's dominance might be fading. A team can only keep that level up for a certain period.

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'de rather prefer RB to Merc. Merc's dominance might be fading. A team can only keep that level up for a certain period.

After testing I think any thoughts Verstappen had for running to MB are probably quickly vaporizing. I think he will stay where he is.

At MB, one current driver will be retired, and one might retire. Sebastian would have chance only if Stuttgart will press for a German driver, and Wolff would support it. Remember, there are 3 shareholders now. I know of course nothing about how much weight each carries regarding choice of drivers.

There is of course the Williams guy...

At MB ... there is the man you like, Brad. Now, when specs changed, it is time for him to prove that your trust wasn't misplaced, as Wolff is slowly withdrawing from day-to day operations.

As another great former F1 driver, you sometimes just have to say the truth...

"I think that sometimes with Ferrari, it looked like he [Vettel] was destabilised," Damon Hill opined on The F1 Show on Sky Sports F1.

"I think there was political stuff that maybe knocked his confidence and you don't need your confidence knocked to have that affect your driving."

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/762393/Hill_Competitive_Aston_Martin_could_revitalise_Vettel/

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

As another great former F1 driver, you sometimes just have to say the truth...

"I think that sometimes with Ferrari, it looked like he [Vettel] was destabilised," Damon Hill opined on The F1 Show on Sky Sports F1.

"I think there was political stuff that maybe knocked his confidence and you don't need your confidence knocked to have that affect your driving."

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/762393/Hill_Competitive_Aston_Martin_could_revitalise_Vettel/

Hard to say what happened. People have all kind of opinions. Hill says this, another UK guy say Vettel is "spent force", and so it goes. 

Sitting by the race track, I have my opinion as well. I think Vettel suffered incremental, sectional losses, which cumulatively created really bad optics and bad outcome. Without in depth analysis of data, it is near impossible for me to know where he could do better, and where he faced the wall because of car he drove.

We know that it doesn't take much to lose time and push you back on score board. Drivers are close to each other. In this year testing people can talk about times mean nothing (BS, if they mean nothing, why we then bother to collect them?), but his 5.5 sec or whatever it was off the pace could use some explanation (for benefit of fans). 

19 hours ago, Sakae said:

We know that it doesn't take much to lose time and push you back on score board. Drivers are close to each other. In this year testing people can talk about times mean nothing (BS, if they mean nothing, why we then bother to collect them?), but his 5.5 sec or whatever it was off the pace could use some explanation (for benefit of fans). 

Surely we can speculate on this. It means he was.... handicapped. Driver focus shifted to Leclerc, and his driving style

12 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Surely we can speculate on this. It means he was.... handicapped. Driver focus shifted to Leclerc, and his driving style

Yeah, that's one plausible theory. Whether that is all what is to it, I of course don't know.

12 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Drivers are close to each other

Which IS what we HAVE wanted 4 a LONG time.
The regs R doin what EVERYBODY has been callin 4.

SC

Iconic, famous, unrivalled...a lot of language about a car which is yet to prove it can get actually out of garage on time to catch Start-test time. I don't know how Stroll managed to push Mercedes aside and get his foot into what is already crowded SC garage. We will have two more SCs to join races, but looking at them, surely they are acquired taste. 

One has to be an old fans of such body work, but as someone who is used to German designs, I am experiencing stomach pains just watching the front mask. Not my taste. I guess there are people who do like it and find beauty where I failed. On Sundays before lunch, I usually scan digital pages, glossing over certain sections, but this time I've check what (supposedly top) 25 famous American sport of movie people (crowd with money) drive. Next to Italian jobs in large numbers, one can find Mercedes Maybach, Mercedes SUV, Mercedes AMG, BMW RR, VW Audi, VW Bentley, one VW Porsche, one Tata Range Rover, but not a single AM. I must be probably looking at "wrong" people then. Stroll needs to ramp up bloated rhetoric even more than it is already, if he wants to penetrate that crowd's buying habits. Let's hope money spent on F1 will help him more than just talk, talk, talk,,, That last part, cheeky as its is, would help Sebi, and that's all I care right now.

It is true that people associate Vettel with 4 x WDC, but he is also one who has 11 victories under his belt while driving for Ferrari. Under normal conditions it would be rather poor and shameful performance, but point is, since 2014 we didn't have "normal" conditions. Superior performance by MB motors had them all those years in class on their own, while others were in left behind as "also run". There was no balanced field to be defeated. Strange management by FiA and Commercial Owners precluded others from even remotely challenging frontrunners. The gap 0.5 sec to the front was always there, and as other started improving, MB simply press pedal little more, and 0.5 has not been erased. We on sidelines waited and waited for miracle, or at least until MB defeat itself by being too c#cky. We waited 7 years, and maybe, just maybe now we might see it this week, that waiting is over. 

BTW, how many more drivers can say we fought MB, and I have more than 11 victories during that painful period?

23 hours ago, Sakae said:

It is true that people associate Vettel with 4 x WDC, but he is also one who has 11 victories under his belt while driving for Ferrari. Under normal conditions it would be rather poor and shameful performance, but point is, since 2014 we didn't have "normal" conditions. Superior performance by MB motors had them all those years in class on their own, while others were in left behind as "also run". There was no balanced field to be defeated. Strange management by FiA and Commercial Owners precluded others from even remotely challenging frontrunners. The gap 0.5 sec to the front was always there, and as other started improving, MB simply press pedal little more, and 0.5 has not been erased. We on sidelines waited and waited for miracle, or at least until MB defeat itself by being too c#cky. We waited 7 years, and maybe, just maybe now we might see it this week, that waiting is over. 

BTW, how many more drivers can say we fought MB, and I have more than 11 victories during that painful period?

Sometimes, as of late with your posts, I can't help but admire your thinking. You leave me with nothing else to say...

"According to the four-time world champion, Aston Martin is in good shape, but it is still unclear where they stand in relation to the competition. "It's impossible to determine those ratios now, but from Saturday we will have an idea. The clear favourites are Mercedes and Red Bull Racing and I believe in us being close behind them."

Seb sounds quite confident

"We had some issues with the gearbox that stopped us for a little bit and some powertrain issues. But we understand them and put some fixes in," 

How did you validated said fixes to really know that correct solutions were applied, and same problems will not re-appear in least convenient time like when a race is on.

Nice areo engineering going on with the floor. They depend on creating early vortices that basically get's deflected outwards and around the rear wheel. The edge of the floor is now aligned to the centreline of the car, pushed in. Below the sidepod the first 3 vanes direct air upwards below the bulge to the diffuser. the 2nd set (creates early vortices again) consist of 6 vanes that directs and deflects airflow outward around the rear wheel, taking the shortest route. The edge of the floor goes straight to the middle of the rear wheel where once again 3 vanes deflects air around the rear wheel... The remaining airflow gets directed with 2 Inner vanes between the rear-brake ducts and inner side of tyre... Novel and Fascinating.

This new floor regulation is really interesting and how the teams manages to limit the drag with lower downforce.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/aston-martins-new-f1-floor-explained/

10 hours ago, Sakae said:

How did you validated said fixes to really know that correct solutions were applied, and same problems will not re-appear in least convenient time like when a race is on.

That's too much of a worry. I'm just hoping Seb last the entire race. That will be a milestone!

25 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

That will be a milestone!

Who uses miles NOW ?
Imperial is soo yesterday - metric and kilometres

5 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

That's too much of a worry. I'm just hoping Seb last the entire race. That will be a milestone!

Don't you find strange, that after admittedly short on laps testing, they managed only 4 laps in P2 hour? As most teams. Why so few?  

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Don't you find strange, that after admittedly short on laps testing, they managed only 4 laps in P2 hour? As most teams. Why so few?  

Did you find an explanation for that?

15 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Did you find an explanation for that?

No, I haven't. I think couple of drivers logged 6 laps, but most had 4.  Saving tires, or equipment..? Either way, if anyone, small group of drivers could use more track time in their new office.