Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team (AMR22)

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

No, I haven't. I think couple of drivers logged 6 laps, but most had 4.  Saving tires, or equipment..? Either way, if anyone, small group of drivers could use more track time in their new office.  

Exactly

Team boss Otmar Szafnauer says the biggest problem so far is caused by the aerodynamic rule tweaks for 2021, which are affecting Mercedes-like cars more than the others.

OK, and when we are planning to get on the top of it?

Heartbreaking to see Seb in his first race for AM.

It's clear he didn't get any track time during testing either. This infuriates me. F1 cannot survive if a driver is given 2 days testing for an entire season, it's madness.

I think Seb still has the fire, but all I genuinely hope for is, that he settles, gets more acclimatised to the car and moves up the grid.

Also the aero regs, have definitely hampered their car. They are way off the pace of last years Pink Panthers, but hopefully they can claw some of that back.

5 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

It's clear he didn't get any track time during testing either. This infuriates me. F1 cannot survive is a driver is given 2 days testing for an entire season, it's madness.

I think Seb still has the fire, but all I genuinely hope for is, that he settles, gets more acclimatised to the car and moves up the grid.

Also the aero regs, have definitely hampered their car. They are way off the pace of last years Pink Panthers, but hopefully they can claw some of that back.

Hello, KM. Nice to have you back, in modest portion as it is. Ageless optimist you are, but that's good. Someone has to be in midst of that misery of March 2021, if you are/were fan of that certain driver. 

After the forgettable debut for his new team at Sakhir, Vettel admitted: “I don’t feel at home in the car. Many things are fighting against me so that I cannot concentrate on driving. There are a lot of things that we have to take care of.”

If quoted accurately, I would consider Sebastian's assertion quite alarming. He is usually so early in a season very mild mannered, avoiding critique of his team or a car, and hopeful, but this tone is new.  UK press is launching speculations about Vettel being fired by mid season (and definitely not on the grid next year).

And life goes on...

I have only one or two questions - after all this BIG talk from AM side how they understand what Vettel needs, and they have tools to adjust to his preferences, what happened to that blah blah? Tost meanwhile judged Vettel's car as unstable and nervous. A lot to digest right in first month of this season.

30 minutes ago, Sakae said:

A lot to digest right in first month of this season

Excuses, excuses, excuses ...

NOT a lot really 2 digest.
SIMPLE fact is, just NOT good enough.

Anti-Vettel frenzy in media and commentators is intensifying left, right and centre. Hard to say how that will end up, but surely it is not confidence building environment. Moreover, AM is receiving undesirable publicity, whether they deserve it, or not.

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

Anti-Vettel frenzy in media and commentators is intensifying left, right and centre. Hard to say how that will end up, but surely it is not confidence building environment. Moreover, AM is receiving undesirable publicity, whether they deserve it, or not.

Yeah it's deafening. One race and ex-drivers, pundits and others are calling for his head. I can't stand it anymore and try not to goto the news sites now. It's ridiculous. Leave the guy alone FFS. Just leave him alone and let him race.

Sadly, AM look to have suffered big time with the floor regulations. Merc not so much, as I have for years theorised they have never been at 100% anyway and have so much more in the tank. Wolff being the crafty and dodgy prick that he is, caught on years so that it's better to win and make it look "close", than to beat everyone by a 1min. We saw how the FIA created rules to slowdown Ferrari and RBR. Yet 7 years in, they have hardly done anything accept this floor rule to slow them down and try and make some genuine parity and competition.

3 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

Yeah it's deafening. One race and ex-drivers, pundits and others are calling for his head. I can't stand it anymore and try not to goto the news sites now. It's ridiculous. Leave the guy alone FFS. Just leave him alone and let him race.

Sadly, AM look to have suffered big time with the floo regulations. Merc not so much, as I have for years theorised they have never been at 100% anyway and have so much more in the tank. Wolff being the crafty and dodgy prick that he is, caught on years so that it's better to win and make it look "close", than to beat everyone by a 1min. We saw how the FIA created rules to slowdown Ferrari and RBR. Yet 7 years in, they have hardly done anything accept this floor rule to slow them down and try and make some genuine parity and competition.

+1

It's comforting to have you around, KM.

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

When Vettel performs at the next gp, wonder what they'll say

You were on the same page as him, I think there was too much of a risk

True.

Risk - both ways. Had he taken sabbatical, there might not have been a (winning) seat for him, unless RBR would have given to him, but I didn't read anywhere they would have such inclination.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:52 AM, Sakae said:

Had it gone the other way, would U have said congrats 2 Seb & AM with another phase of Seb domination expected?
It IS what it IS.  A lot of marketin for, a lot of underperformin.

4 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

When Vettel performs at the next gp, wonder what they'll say

Not so fast. If it happen at all, it might not happen next race. Sebastian already said after testing it may take 4 or 5 races before he will adjust to the car and settles in, assuming it's all upon him, and nothing is wrong with his car.

Race 1 is now history. I was not surprised he wasn't anywhere near below podium, but the truth to be said, I was in shock how bad that whole weekend developed for him. I need to watch my blood pressure, so I won't talk about FiA's role in whole weekend full of misery for No. 5.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Not so fast. If it happen at all

A heads up 2 SV - I HAVE the answers 4 U !!
Get a pack of cards.  Do some (magic) tricks WITH - FOR UR team.
Sit IN UR AM - pick a card ANY card ... SV IS doin tricks 
Marketin opportunity - Just lookin at it from a different angle

On 4/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Sakae said:

There is large class of microphone-held talkers who make comfortable living from just talking sh*t about others. 

Y limit it 2 JUST those holding a microphone.  What about those typin and writin sh*t about others.
The media is FULL of sh*t IN different formats.
F1 sells adverts, and fizzy drinks

Aston Martin warned FIA impact of rule changes

https://www.grandprix.com/news/aston-martin-warned-fia-impact-of-rule-changes.html

Oh well, that was a point, wasn't it? Maybe not implicitly hurting AM, but MB (as is Wolff alleging, if I read him correctly). Saving MB (or AM) was not on a priority list with said changes, so it seems. I am not sure what Szafnauer was hoping to accomplish with his complains. What I would be rather interested to hear when exactly AM realised they are in trouble? Before the PR campaign how they want to fight for podium, before testing, after testing... Did they see it on their sim, or only once they hit track and observed their house of cards falling down? Thick on rhetoric, weak on substance. 

This change of specs, and limitation on permitted work on a car puzzles me, because I am assuming once the spec was issued, and impact assessment was executed, in theory AM (and MB) should have built immediately a new car. That obviously didn't happen. Why not? Is it because tools in hand weren't sophisticated enough to raise a red flag? Was it due faulty analysis? Budget issue? Time?

Wolff is pretty mad right now, as evident from some interviews with him, and a step beyond unhappy with some of his colleagues in the pit lane. The way it was done, I am actually on his side; dirty, underhanded games never impressed me. Last question - if this is an attempt to stop MB, why it wasn't done a few years sooner? 

I am of course mindful of the fact, despite all of the above, MB has done relatively well in the first race. AM - copy cat of MB, as penalty they incurred alleges - not that much. Their front man became a joke of the pit lane, and being last from them all will not bring any points home.

"Legal steps for changing specs weren't followed", alleging AM. No one is bothered by it but very few?

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

Aston Martin warned FIA impact of rule changes

https://www.grandprix.com/news/aston-martin-warned-fia-impact-of-rule-changes.html

Oh well, that was a point, wasn't it? Maybe not implicitly hurting AM, but MB (as is Wolff alleging, if I read him correctly). Saving MB (or AM) was not on a priority list with said changes, so it seems. I am not sure what Szafnauer was hoping to accomplish with his complains. What I would be rather interested to hear when exactly AM realised they are in trouble? Before the PR campaign how they want to fight for podium, before testing, after testing... Did they see it on their sim, or only once they hit track and observed their house of cards falling down? Thick on rhetoric, weak on substance. 

This change of specs, and limitation on permitted work on a car puzzles me, because I am assuming once the spec was issued, and impact assessment was executed, in theory AM (and MB) should have built immediately a new car. That obviously didn't happen. Why not? Is it because tools in hand weren't sophisticated enough to raise a red flag? Was it due faulty analysis? Budget issue? Time?

Wolff is pretty mad right now, as evident from some interviews with him, and a step beyond unhappy with some of his colleagues in the pit lane. The way it was done, I am actually on his side; dirty, underhanded games never impressed me. Last question - if this is an attempt to stop MB, why it wasn't done a few years sooner? 

I am of course mindful of the fact, despite all of the above, MB has done relatively well in the first race. AM - copy cat of MB, as penalty they incurred alleges - not that much. Their front man became a joke of the pit lane, and being last from them all will not bring any points home.

"Legal steps for changing specs weren't followed", alleging AM. No one is bothered by it but very few?

To top this of, why did'nt they use the free extra token to focus more on development for the low-rake conundrum, including suspension, if that was such a problem... THAT time. Instead they focused on the monoque, spending tokens on it. Surely the survival cell was already "approved" by FIA last season. I don't get it.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/765487/Aston_Martin_cannot_change_aerodynamic_concept_quoteven_if_we_wanted_toquot/

This situation is so complex, that (IMO) it almost requires legal analysis just to figure out step by step what was and wasn't possible for AM to react in best way. I am puzzled by claims that whole change of specs was in breach of current agreements on the books. At least 3 teams protested, but the change was rammed through (allegedly) nonetheless on safety grounds (so I heard).

AM is doomed this year, and my initially in part cheeky low rating of them (P7) might not sound anymore that far fetched. What will happen with Seb is really not clear.

F1 official website:

Aston Martin sign last year’s super-sub Nico Hulkenberg as reserve driver for 2021

The end for Sebastian?

Some latest articles already do suggest exactly that. I don't think that way, but I also fear, should he continue to struggle as he has in Bahrain, I would not totally dismissed such possibility. How much time AM will give him, is anyone's guess.

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

How much time AM will give him, is anyone's guess

Or even, reverse THAT.
How much time SV will give AM.
Rememberin SV IS still marketable.  As driven by super sub will NOT sell many AM cars.

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Or even, reverse THAT.
How much time SV will give AM.
Rememberin SV IS still marketable.  As driven by super sub will NOT sell many AM cars.

Assuming he would hold upper hand, Sebastian probably (I am guessing) has way out only end of the year. Would that be a sensible solution? Maybe under weight of some hidden factors but otherwise... probably no.

• Next year will be fielded a new car, which may or may not be better over current one.
  • Sebastian has nowhere to go, unless Verstappen and Hamilton make their moves, and Dr. Marko invites Seb in. (All very doubtful).

IMHO Seb has very limited options right now. Stay and hope for the best, or retire. I am still short on accurate understanding why there was collision with Ocon. Was it a racing accident, or Seb misjudged car reaction, and what needs to happen to avoid future reoccurrences. Is Seb loosing it?