Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Portuguese Grand Prix 2021

Race is tomorrow. It's not going to be easy day for AM.

There is certain symmetry today between McLaren and AM. Junior is usually lurking around P8, whereas Seb (new guy) sits around P14.

McLaren has managed today similar result. New guy in P16, the other one in P7. 

1 hour ago, blackpebel said:

Indeed.. Its a pleasant surprise to see him fighting hard.. But its hard to say that this is the full potential of the car, lets not forgot Ric was comprehensively ahead of Ocon last year.. Ocon seems to be against an ageing has been on the other side of the garage, but its too early in the championship to have any firm notions on the performance.. I personally feel he's going to give a tough fight to Alonso, maybe even come out better at the end of the year

Good for Vettel.. Finally.. The AM setup seems to be showing some signs of hope.. again its too early to get high hopes around Vettel with just one Qualifying performance when he has been a dud for the this long. Hope he can find some consistency.

Ocon is abit of an enigma to me. Never really know much about the guy. The he does something like this today. He certainly has speed, he can be quite fluid. The last few years he has faded, but maybe the car did'nt suit his driving style. Maybe this car suits him better. Or maybe, as you've mentioned, Alonso is certainly not up to speed yet.

Will be an exciting battle to watch throughout the year.

EDIT* I just re-read what you said about Vettel

11 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Race is tomorrow. It's not going to be easy day for AM.

I certainly think he has some pace for points. a Good start will help

Seb sits between Gasly and Russell, both drivers who want to prove something. I am just hoping Seb will survive their ambitions and can complete at least one lap with his car in one piece.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

McLaren has managed today similar result. New guy in P16, the other one in P7. 

The REAL battle these days is NOT at the front of the grid but for, the best of the rest - midfield.
The customer teams R the teams with the MOST to gain.
The factory teams generally R havin the battle in front - though it is NOT really a battle - it IS consistency.
2 finish first, first U must finish - then hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Seb sits between Gasly and Russell, both drivers who want to prove something. I am just hoping Seb will survive their ambitions and can complete at least one lap with his car in one piece.

I think, to be fair, AND complete.. he is sitting between 19 other drivers who want to prove something or the other.. and most of them seem to be on attack mode..

It's upto him to find courage in that car to make the best use of the equipment at hand..

If Mercedes can get a hold of their car so can AM.. they were in the fight for the 3rd in constructors right till the weary end of last season..

3 hours ago, blackpebel said:

I think, to be fair, AND complete.. he is sitting between 19 other drivers who want to prove something or the other.. and most of them seem to be on attack mode..

False. That was not point in my earlier post.

At the start, and in very early stages of the race when most accidents occur, Vettel is not racing 19 drivers. Concern is about his immediate surroundings, especially if there is rather poor start. After all there is an old saying, and for good reason, the race is not won on first lap. I am merely hoping Russell will not take (again) some unnecessary risky moves. 

6 hours ago, Sakae said:

False. That was not point in my earlier post.

At the start, and in very early stages of the race when most accidents occur, Vettel is not racing 19 drivers. Concern is about his immediate surroundings, especially if there is rather poor start. After all there is an old saying, and for good reason, the race is not won on first lap. I am merely hoping Russell will not take (again) some unnecessary risky moves. 

fair assesment

The Red Bull driver (Perez) feels he does not have the confidence in the car and is frustrated he was unable to perform in qualifying at Portimao.

Well, my friend, welcome into large family of uncomfortable people on the grid, and thank for it Messrs. Brawn and Todt.

51 minutes ago, Sakae said:

does not have the confidence in the car and is frustrated he was unable to perform in qualifying

Standard response 2 a poor session - CAN apply 2 ANY situation NOT necessarily ANY thanks needed 4 Messrs. Brawn and Todt required.

20 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Standard response 2 a poor session - CAN apply 2 ANY situation NOT necessarily ANY thanks needed 4 Messrs. Brawn and Todt required.

I do not agree with such oversimplification which makes no sense to me. There is clearly defined correlation between cause and effect in this case. Lack of permitted seat time is just one of several reasons. To dismiss Perez as std. whining I would consider highly disrespectful to him. 

Capable drivers clime a learning curve in a new equipment as all of them.  That is not reflection of their potential. 

Just now, Sakae said:

Capable drivers clime a learning curve in a new equipment as all of them.  That is not reflection of their potential. 

That's my point yes

16 hours ago, Sakae said:

Russell targeting points and ‘maximum attack’ with quick Williams after P11 in qualifying

...I see another blame for Vettel is in the offing.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

I do not agree with such oversimplification which makes no sense to me

Simple things please simple minds, I thought it WOULD make complete sense 2 U.
The reality IS, have predefined responses 2 questions.  Like if somebody stops U in the street and asks how U R.  Predefined response, I `m good thanks how R U?
U don`t say, well actually I stubbed my toe on the coffee table this mornin bangin the mrs but pain is temporary it will go away.  There IS a need 2 over simplify things.

Is it too negative to state it was rather largely uneventful race? I dare to say happy people (teams, drivers) probably are minority after race. Stroll Jr. wasn't helped by upgrades. Kimi screw up. Verstappen will probably sleep in locked cage overnight for safety reasons. Sebastian had relatively not bad weekend. His car needs more work. Promised improvements on his car hopefully will point right direction.

Perez: 👍

42 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Sebastian had relatively not bad weekend

That does NOT mean, it was relatively a good weekend 4 Seb.
Though he went backwards which DOES indicate, a relatively bad weekend.
Qualified P 10
Finished P 13

From my perspective, despite race-end position, he (i) obviously felt more comfortable in the car, and (II) finished race as best as equipment permitted. After all he went through last year and first two races this year, I feel it was different this time around.

Meanwhile:

Furious Marko demands rule changes: This is not fair racing

Complains against stewards are just piling up. Verstappen is punished, Norris is not. Problem is, some stewards are in this job for far too long. In fact (I cannot name him), but one fellow was on TV boasting, that he actually was posted into the job by Max M.'s friends. Stewards should be held accountable, and in every pre-season go through re-training and re-qualifications (as many other professional sports do). 

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

go through re-training and re-qualifications

Y limit it 2 JUST the stewards ?
Observin Masispin - the SAME can B said about the drivers, who have a "super-licence"

There R LOT`S of things as observers we disagree with about everything in life.
It is what it IS, if nothin changes - nothin changes

“It was basically my mistake,” Raikkonen said. “I was checking something on the steering wheel, checking a switch. I got it wrong out of the last corner and I had to check it again and then just drove into him. Purely my mistake."

I don't understand. Why should a driver be playing with switches and buttons?? when racing????

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Could have been.

Almighty stewards are infallible, don't you know? Like Holy Father, or Oprah. 

Rules are too complex to police them all fairly and accurately IMHO.  There is an old wisdom in practice - don't make laws which you cannot properly police. Maybe FiA didn't hear about it.