Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Spanish GP 2021

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya

Round 4

Here we are again in spain, the testing mecca for F1. Qualifying day would hold more weightage as usual, so looking forward to the Saturday as well. This is a track well known to all the drivers, so margin of human error is minimal for all drivers. The pecking order of the current championship should more or less be reflective on the starting Grid for Sunday.

I feel this year max is should have a better outing here compared to last year. We are all loving the battel for the 1st aren't we 😃

Racing points did a fair job themselves, hope AM can bring some updates that has them fighting a little upfront.

Lewis is on an amazing milestone himself, he would come out with a 100  Pole Positions at the end of the next one, will it be spain?? Lets wait and watch...

Here is a glimpse from yesteryears for what he is capable of..

Date 2021.05.07   Time 9:39 (UTC)

FP1

Mazepin off at Turn 8!

The Russian looks to be beached in the gravel, but after several goes just about manages to make it back to the track under his own steam. Replays show he got it slightly wrong on corner entry, locked up and went straight on...

This guy has really bad luck with that car.

Date 2021.05.07   Time 10:32 (UTC)

FP1

Vettel in P8.  I am not in a position to determine how solid is that slot, he did it on S-tires, however I am happy as that would be a good placement IMO, and now in every race I want to see him creeping slowly closer to podium.

Mick on H-tire is ahead of Mazepin on S-tires. Good job from Mick.

Bottas is in fight of his life. So far so good this morning.

DR...?

Date 2021.05.07   Time 14:12 (UTC)

FP 2

Vettel in P11 

Looks like position is more realistic over FP 1, although I am in serious doubt that car 5 is faster than McLaren, therefore probably back to P13 for Sebastian before this is over. I am also happy my guy is running clean as his car seems more stable. Slow, but stable.

RBR is doing something, but what? Helmut must go crazy seeing his cars in P9 and 10.

Ocon seems to be back to his old form of a hot prospect. Just that he needs a fair chance. Hey MB...this is a guy for you...

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Sounds good.

Sakae R U new 2 F1 ??
Nobody show`s their pace IN Friday practise B4 qually

Friday IS all about misdirection.
U R forgettin 1 thing, what the hell is that - pointin into the distance

35 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Sakae R U new 2 F1 ??
Nobody show`s their pace IN Friday practise B4 qually

Friday IS all about misdirection.
U R forgettin 1 thing, what the hell is that - pointin into the distance

Ms Lipstick.

Despite it being free practise, there is a gradual progression that both him and I have noticed concerning the AM car, since updates were introduced. Even the driver has stated so himself.

I hope you are satisfied with this answer...

Thank you

Date 2021.05.08   Time 9:37 (UTC)

12 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Despite it being free practise, there is a gradual progression that both him and I have noticed concerning the AM car, since updates were introduced. Even the driver has stated so himself.

Asked if he could clearly feel the benefit of the upgrades, Vettel replied: “Yeah absolutely, I think it’s a step forward so it’s good to tick that off and as I say we will try to improve the package where we are now.

Date 2021.05.08   Time 14:57 (UTC)

Qualifying, in one word, was confusing for me in terms of AM drivers performance. Results are bad from any angle I look at them.

Results in Spain - how are those different from those achived before upgrades were installed?

18 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

since updates were introduced

I like UR wording.
The changes R NOT improvements.  Progression has NOT been realized.

Date 2021.05.08   Time 17:06 (UTC)

Effectiveness os updates were confirmed by Vettel after FP1 this weekend. It was not just a change of his equipment for sake of change. Question is, why he is suddenly back in P13?

In FP3 his P17 surely must have send bad news to all concerned.

The only hope left is, that he went after some weird race setup which pushed him back when speed was required, but he might shine tomorrow in long run. Gaps between drivers aren't big. He is about 0.6 sec from the podium.

Problem with these kind of dreams is, they are contrary to anything we know about Vettel and team's strategies in past 2 years. A lot of risk taking, a lot of miscalculations, and no good results.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

He is about 0.6 sec from the podium.

And 0.6 sec from LAST position.
The best he can hope 4 is, other people fallin off the track 2 elevate his position.

Aston Martin CONFIRMIN that they R a midfield F1 team.
Like Mclaren - NOT lookin like challengin 4 race WINS but NOT lookin like bringin up the back of the grid either.
The midfield battle IS on.
> Teams ready, drivers ready - may the battle begin

Date 2021.05.08   Time 18:35 (UTC)

Team quote:

Sebastian Vettel (13th, 1:18.079): "My final lap in Q2 was not entirely clean and, when the grid is so tight, those small things can make a real difference. I think we had a good chance of reaching Q3 today, but we just found ourselves at the wrong end of the midfield group. Because so many teams have similar pace, it will not be an easy race, but we will hang in there, push hard, and see what we can do. You never know what can happen in a long race and, if we can look after the tyres and use our race pace, we can race for some points."

Qualifying - I do accept explanation. However what happened in FP3 which ended up with P17 slot? 

Seb, please not again long stay on worn tires. When that strategy really worked?

AM is currently marginally better than Haas, Williams, and maybe also Alfa Romeo.

Alpha Tauri currently can go wheel to wheel with AM. Hopefully this will change before season ends.

19 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Date 2021.05.08   Time 18:35 (UTC)

Team quote:

Qualifying - I do accept explanation. However what happened in FP3 which ended up with P17 slot? 

Seb, please not again long stay on worn tires. When that strategy really worked?

AM is currently marginally better than Haas, Williams, and maybe also Alfa Romeo.

Alpha Tauri currently can go wheel to wheel with AM. Hopefully this will change before season ends.

HOPEFULLY Yes

Date 2021.05.09   Time 4:34 (UTC)

I think we have now confirmation from drivers, what was already discussed on these pages (and probably elsewhere) in speculative terms, namely, there is no big mystery behind bad result on the track. To penetrate and get out from tornado of bad positions, car needs better upgrades, and lap has to be executed flawlessly in competitive speeds. It's that "simple". Cars are tenth or thousands of a second apart, and it doesn't take much to fall back rather quickly.

I do recall qualifications between Häkkinen and Schumacher, and how many times a thousand of a second made difference who got a pole. Point is, this rivalry was unique to couple of drivers, whilst the rest of them usually were significantly behind with relatively large time-gaps between them. Today, especially midfield, is really tight. It's new, and it is a good thing for fans. For me it will take time to get used to it as a traditional fan of Prost, Schumacher, and Vettel (of old) - all guys from the front line; well, until now. I am still with Vettel (of new), but his experience is also new to me, so we are both suffering. Time will heal? Maybe. F1 is unforgiving and merciless.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

between Häkkinen and Schumacher

The F1 glory years.  Drivers hungry 2 WIN.
Not drivers with nothin else 2 do.  F1 now is full of past winners and champs.
Vettel tryin 2 do it again  - again.  After tryin and failin with Ferrari 2 revive former glory.
Now with Aston Martin 2 establish  glory, brand awareness.
The grandfather of F1 and a true motorsport great Alonso.  BACK again, again this time with Alpine.
After the failed Mclaren Honda project.  His heart is NOT in F1, as such does NOT have the hunger.
Where IS the hunger in F1?  Verstappen has the desire and motivation to win a WDC.
If and when he does become F1 world champion.  He WILL do a Rosberg.

Good race, with an absolute magnificent performance by SLH today, at Barcelona for the Spanish GP....:congrats: