Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackpebel

Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2021

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I would put Gasly 3rd

In that car, I must agree. Both Seb and Pierre fought hard their own personal demons.

7 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

After his complaints yesterday of Hamilton.... Mazepin finishes ahead of him 🤣

I do realise there was chunk of luck involved in today's result, but I take it. After Ferrari days, and all that crap I had to read day in, day out this year, it is great relive; for me, and surely for Seb as well, not to forget Britta Roeske..

1 minute ago, Sakae said:

I do realise there was chunk of luck involved in today's result, but I take it. After Ferrari days, and all that crap I had to read day in, day out this yer, it is great relive; for me and surely for Seb as well, not to forget Britta Roeske..

The one he celebrates with to the right in the corner (in vid)?.... She stood by him, moving to AM

"It has been a tough start for us," said Vettel. "I think it was a good race. We had great pace, that was the key...

"We really preserved the tyres well and I think that was the secret for the pace we had.

"In the race, the car felt good and it was the key to keep progressing and chipping forward."

Good signs as they progressed after being curtailed with these new rules. The team will take alot of strengh and hope from this

Just now, BradSpeedMan said:

The one he celebrates with to the right in the corner (in vid)?.... She stood by him, moving to AM

Yes, she did. Britta actually works for Seb who has hired her many years ago. Normally she would be assigned by a team, but she likes the job, altho past couple of years must had been hard on her.

6 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Hey, Vettel almost won. Perez had some hydraulic probs. What a story that wud've been

So I hear. It is again proof that the old adage propagated by Schumi / Murray Walker - driver cannot give up any time, until he passes the Finish like. Things can happen any moment, and they usually do. Checo did not finish cool down lap due to machine related problem.

(Machine is changing my spelling for me).

Perez beats Vettel to Baku victory after Verstappen crashes out from lead late on

Englishman's perception of Vettel's effort. As long as they can put things in some negative spin...

Why not just simply to say, Perez finishes ahead of Vettel, especially when Vettel was never in direct contention to RBR machine. Vettel could inherit win, but never win that race on merit, since his car is not on the same level Checo was driving.

""We really preserved the tyres well and I think that was the secret for the pace we had."

Really great to read that, bodes well for upcoming races. Suprisingly, I was really impressed with both AM drivers racepace. Updates are working, they're progressing slowly but surely. I think it's still possible to fight for that 3rd spot, it's a long calendar.

Almost a perfect race.

For once I feel sorry for Max. He earned that victory but was robbed. Good situation for him to learn and grow as a driver though. Just look at Kimi and 2005 Nürburgring. Max needs a little of that if he's ever going to come to grips with the grit and toughness required to excel in F1.

Seeing Hamilton bin it on the final restart was glorious. He's definitely rattled now, and hasn't been this way since Nico beat him up.

Great victory by Checo, but it would have been just a little sweeter if Seb had taken it. Amazing race by Seb. Also thankful that MB wasn't in commentary either, because the race callers all gave well due props to Seb for a change. Looking forward to further races and seeing if AM make any further progression up the grid.

Gasly did well too. He might have a bright future this lad.

I don't feel sorry for Verstappen. I am not small minded, but Verstappen has done some bad things in the past in a few races, and didn't pay price yet.

Hamilton - not worth debating. 

Checo was magnificent. He won't get many such opportunities as he was gifted yesterday, but I am glad when one comes alone, he knows what to do. It was great.

Gasly is a man in waiting for an opportunity. He seems to have qualities required to excel, despite some hiccups in the past. He is not the only one in waiting line, and there aren't too many openings. Mercedes most likely will not take him, Ferrari will definitely not take him, and RBR? Dr. Marko somehow is hard nosed for some reason about him. I think what he needs to do is to take his Minardi machine, and scare Jesus out of RBR guys. That might become centre of talk in the paddock, paving perhaps road to better things to come.

Seb today - back to reality. Car is still too slow, and winning races due to attrition of your opponents is not what happens every time lights go off. Podium was IMHO best medicine for him and the team. It was exactly what doctor prescribed. Healed mindset might help in forthcoming races. I see AM perhaps not defeating RBR, MB, or Ferrari yet, but it might split McLaren. We have to wait how rest of the season will pan out.

I am slowly getting tired of talking heads who are consistently writing him off. He started with AM, and initially races weren't really representative of car/driver potential, yet English media were talking about sacking him, despite some other transfers weren't in much better place. Perez and Sainz were perhaps the only two who have adapted quite quickly. 

Just recall how many times we heard that Vettel cannot overtake, he wins only from a front position and with best machine. Hamilton made recently claims that when in Ferrari, Vettel had for two years a better machine than he had in Mercedes, yet no one had called him out on that. I am not sure what Seb has done to anyone, but bias against him is really strong even today.  

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I

Seb today - back to reality. Car is still too slow, and winning races due to attrition of your opponents is not what happens every time lights go off. Podium was IMHO best medicine for him and the team. It was exactly what doctor prescribed. Healed mindset might help in forthcoming races. I see AM perhaps not defeating RBR, MB, or Ferrari yet, but it might split McLaren. We have to wait how rest of the season will pan out.

I am slowly getting tired of talking heads who are consistently writing him off. He started with AM, and initially races weren't really representative of car/driver potential, yet English media were talking about sacking him, despite some other transfers weren't in much better place. Perez and Sainz were perhaps the only two who have adapted quite quickly. 

Just recall how many times we heard that Vettel cannot overtake, he wins only from a front position and with best machine. Hamilton made recently claims that when in Ferrari, Vettel had for two years a better machine than he had in Mercedes, yet no one had called him out on that. I am not sure what Seb has done to anyone, but bias against him is really strong even today.  

True. It's scary that he could'nt keep up with Checo on fresher tires, and the nature of the track assisted him.

But it's a good step forward. It confirms progress

6 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

True. It's scary that he could'nt keep up with Checo on fresher tires, and the nature of the track assisted him.

But it's a good step forward. It confirms progress

AM in its current form is a City Bus. On speed tracks I fear I do expect worst.

1 minute ago, Sakae said:

AM in its current form is a City Bus. On speed tracks I fear I do expect worst.

I think it's abit better. Maybe a "taxi". The car has speed. Vettel clocked over 320, in free practise speedtrap. The balance of the car is also good.

What's missing is great area (downforce at rear) and having that low-rake car.

On the surface, The car looks really really great to me. Hope they unleash the beast

2 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think it's abit better. Maybe a "taxi". The car has speed. Vettel clocked over 320, in free practise speedtrap. The balance of the car is also good.

What's missing is great area (downforce at rear) and having that low-rake car.

On the surface, The car looks really really great to me. Hope they unleash the beast

Eternal optimist, aren't you? 😁

2 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Eternal optimist, aren't you? 😁

I'm thinking this is actually a great story.

I  prefer AM rising from the ashes together with Seb. and making it a race-winning car. That way ppl see the talent

It's better than climbing into a car and fight for 1st-3rd place

Now Bottas just "needs a hug". And all will be good.

Teams can really cause good and great drivers to go into very deep spirals. I'm happy Seb is away from that toxic environment

Date 2021.06.08   Time 9:37 (UTC)

Torger has declared that Hamilton doesn't make mistakes. Bottas will be happy to hear that, as he drove a man-step away from a hard wall, being guided towards abyss by his teammate.

Wolff was falling into despair when he saw his favourite toy taking garden route in dying moments of the race. I thought it was amusing. 

Bottas need more than a hag. Perhaps, for start, equal treatment his teammate is receiving.

Wow.. what an amazing race it was.. Sorry, couldn't come here as I've been caught up with a busy schedule to life, as usual.

Truly a great result for Checo and Vettel.. where as it was a mixed fortune for Redbull and AM respectively.. but what the heck.. some of the best last 2 laps EVER.

These 2 guys were fighting for a seat till the end of last year, and hear they are..

Its good to see Hamilton in an average situation, making average mistakes, he deserves to be where others drivers have been against him all this while. Remember when I spoke about the conspiracy of Mercedes trying to manipulate the whole field coz they had such a huge advantage. We spoke about that a looong time ago.. and here: Fear of rules change led mercedes to run dominant 2014 engine in idle mode. They had been doing it since ever, the chart proves it. Redbull for the first time has thrown down the gauntlet, and it feels right. Honda has more power being added after France,, cool...

____

I cant imagine the weight of having a messed up car, and Hamilton behind, Sergio really held on to that win with a thread. In fact his prospects were down considering Vettel had a fresh set of tyres.. But all in all, he has justified Redbulls decision to hire him as the right one.

Really good to see this side of Seb after a long time, he is rejuvenated with the balance that his equipment is able to offer him. Agree with Brawn over here. Between Monaco and Baku, they have gone strength to strength to improving the overall package, and they seem to be in contention for where they were last year.. they now seem to have a car that seems competitive against McLaren and Ferrari in the long run, although Qualifying has not gone there way. Sebs tyre management was exceptional, and for that, he truly deserves the DOTD. First podium for AM. First podium for Vettel as an AM driver. good on him.

____

Pierre Gasly.. O.M.G .. He is proving Helmut wrong, one race at a time. That last lap Re-overtake on Charles was brilliant, as was his initial start.

___

F1's race coverage sometimes does lag behind. That jump from Alonso from 10 to 6th and especially the overtake on Yuki was phenomenal. That Alpine/Renault is seriously lacking a s##t load of Horse power compared to the rivals.

____

And Finally that Stupid flick from Mazepin, not sure how Gunther is going to reign him in after this.. He is a serious concern for the whole field.

Date 2021.06.08   Time 15:22 (UTC)

One of the sideline experts (I think it was Rosberg, not sure of it) was busy letting whole world know how Vettel has lost trust of his side of his garage, and how relationships are at freezing point. Seeing however crowd reaction immediately after race once Vettel parked his car, it did not look to me frosty at all. The team was elated.