Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradSpeedMan

French Grand Prix (Circuit Paul Ricard)

France was the birthplace of modern Grand Prix racing over 100 years ago, but was absent from the calendar from 1999-2017. The race returned to Circuit Paul Ricard in 2018 after a 25 year absence.  

Please Note: The 2020 French Grand Prix at Circuit Paul Ricard was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic. The 2021 French Grand Prix takes place on June 18-20 (one week earlier than originally planned).

spacer.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length

5.842km

Race Distance

309.69 km

Lap Record

1:32.740 Sebastian Vettel (2019)

Some History:

The French Grand Prix (French: Grand Prix de France), formerly known as the Grand Prix de l'ACF, is an auto race held as part of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile's annual Formula One World Championship. It is one of the oldest motor races in the world as well as the first "Grand Prix". It ceased shortly after its centenary in 2008 with 86 races having been held, due to unfavourable financial circumstances and venues. The race returned to the Formula One calendar in 2018 with Circuit Paul Ricard hosting the race.

Unusually even for a race of such longevity, the location of the Grand Prix has moved frequently with 16 different venues having been used over its life, a number only eclipsed by the 23 venues used for the Australian Grand Prix since its 1928 start. It is also one of four races (along with the Belgian, Italian and Spanish Grands Prix) to have been held as part of the three distinct Grand Prix championships (World Manufacturers' Championship in the late 1920s, European Championship in the 1930s and Formula One World Championship since 1950).

Le Castellet

When was the track built?

Work began on pastis magnate Paul Ricard’s track in 1969, with French racers Jean-Pierre Beltoise and Henri Pescarolo acting as consultants on the layout. Racing began at the circuit a year later.

When was its first Grand Prix?

Formula 1 hit the Circuit Paul Ricard in 1971, with Jackie Stewart winning the inaugural race in his Tyrrell 003.

What’s the circuit like?

The Circuit Paul Ricard’s even distribution of high-, medium- and low-speed corners is a key reason why it’s one of the most used test circuits in the world (the typically good weather is another). F1 drivers love the 290km/h right-hander at Signes and the 5g joyride of the following Beausset bend, while the circuit’s 2018 return to the F1 calendar showed that the French Grand Prix track is a bit of an overtaking gem.

Drive just 10km south of the circuit and you’ll find yourself on the French Riviera, one of the most revered coastlines in the world thanks to its beautiful beaches, pretty harbourside towns, great food and, if you fancy it, incredible local wines. Apart from the racing action, that’s why you go!

The track offers 167 possible configurations from 0.826 km (0.513 mi) to the full 5.861 km (3.642 mi). The track's elevation ranges from 408 to 441 m (1,339 to 1,447 ft) above sea level. Its flexibility and mild winter weather mean that it is used for testing by several motorsport teams, including Formula One teams.

Interesting Facts

French Grand Prix: Did You Know?

Michael Schumacher has more French Grand Prix wins than any other driver, winning the event eight times. He took all of his victories at the Magny-Cours track.

Ferrari have the most French Grand Prix wins, with 17. At the Paul Ricard track, Williams and McLaren share the record for the most victories, with three apiece.

Alain Prost won his home race on six occasions, including four wins at Paul Ricard. You can read more about France’s Home Race Heroes here.

Nigel Mansell and Lewis Hamilton are the only drivers other than Prost to have won at the Paul Ricard track more than once. Mansell won here in 1986 and 1987, while Hamilton has won each of the last two races at the circuit.

French manufacturer Renault won the first French Grand Prix in 1906, then had to wait another 73 years for its second victory in 1979! Renault has won a total of six French Grands Prix, most recently in 2005. Another French manufacturer, Bugatti, also won the race six times between 1926-1936.

Elio de Angelis was killed at Paul Ricard in 1986 when the wing on his Brabham BT55 detached at high speed, pitching the car over the barriers. The Italian was barely injured in the initial impact, but died from smoke inhalation as insufficient track marshals were on hand to extricate him from the burning car.

Paul Ricard offers 167 track configurations, from 0.8km to 5.5km.

The podium at the 1982 French Grand Prix was made up entirely of French drivers. Rene Arnoux won the race, and was joined in the top three by Alain Prost and Didier Pironi. Patrick Tambay finished in fourth too!

The 1996 French Grand Prix, held at Magny-Cours, was the last F1 race to not feature any drivers who had been crowned World Champion. Michael Schumacher qualified on pole but was unable to start the race due to engine problems. Future champions Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen all finished in the top five.

(Sources): 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Grand_Prix

https://f1destinations.com/race-facts-french-grand-prix/

https://f1destinations.com/race-facts-french-grand-prix/

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2021/France.html

On 2021.06.19 14:11 (UTC)

Alpine is strong. Alonso is doing well again.

Sainz - I've always suspected he was slightly undervalued by the stupid internet, but he is really good. Always was.

Gasly for Nobel Price. This guy needs better car over what he has. Get him into MB next to Hamilton and we have a new WDC.

AM - I am lost for words. Maybe race will move Seb into first 10. 

Mick, Yuki, ... guys, kissing walls is fine from time to time, but not too often, please.

Hamilton - it needs to be said. Once his car is on equal level to some others, true colour of his Almighty goes into shade in a hurry. Back to the old one who he was at McLaren?

23 minutes ago, Sakae said:

On 2021.06.19 14:11 (UTC)

Sainz - I've always suspected he was slightly undervalued by the stupid internet, but he is really good. Always was.

Gasly for Nobel Price. This guy needs better car over what he has. Get him into MB next to Hamilton and we have a new WDC.

AM - I am lost for words. Maybe race will move Seb into first 10. 

Mick, Yuki, ... guys, kissing walls is fine from time to time, but not too often, please.

Hamilton - it needs to be said. Once his car is on equal level to some others, true colour of his Amighty goes into shade in a hurry. Back to the old one who he was at McLaren?

+1

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

AM - I am lost for words. Maybe race will move Seb into first 10.

I think AM and Seb are playing the long game here.. and they have a few new set of pirellis to play with..

16 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Good showing in quali, but they seem to have enough single lap speed to fair well in quali, but they are lagging behind on overall race pace compared to McLaren and AM..

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

Gasly for Nobel Price. This guy needs better car over what he has.

My heart goes out for him.. not sure if others think the same.. but Gasly is better than a lot on the field. I would definitely count him in the top 5 of the current grid along ver, ham, Norris and leclerc

2 hours ago, blackpebel said:

I think AM and Seb are playing the long game here.. and they have a few new set of pirellis to play with..

Good showing in quali, but they seem to have enough single lap speed to fair well in quali, but they are lagging behind on overall race pace compared to McLaren and AM..

My heart goes out for him.. not sure if others think the same.. but Gasly is better than a lot on the field. I would definitely count him in the top 5 of the current grid along ver, ham, Norris and leclerc

In no particlar order.... of 5 top drivers

MadMax

Hamilton

Vettel

Alonso

Leclerc/Sainz/Gasly? They all on the same level I feel

On 2021.06.20 10:59 (UTC)

Todt (FiA) is getting mighty fed up with Hamilton's whining. So much actually, that he felt to get it on the air. I wish to ask then, what took you so long?

The same Todt, a president of regulatory body is not in favour of sprint races. He is not alone. Number of teams are on the same page. Why then we will have it this year and in double next year?

Looks like UK guys they do as they want, whether they have authority for it or not. There were some half-truths said about it. First, 3 races this year were supposed to be just trial before it would go any further. That was probably a ****, because this week it has been announced they already booked 6 sprint races next year, despite not a single sprint race was run yet.

On 2021.06.20 14:50 (UTC)

Stroll drove well.

AM has some way to go before I will be happy.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Stroll drove well.

They are just slow in general. Is the floor. What is it?

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

They are just slow in general. Is the floor. What is it?

They copy MB.

MB recover after changes, whereas AM seems not that well. Seb should be now regular in P5, but he is struggling to keep that car on the track.

10 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Seb should be now regular in P5, but he is struggling to keep that car on the track.

With Lando showin HIS consistency 4 best of the rest.  Seb is now in a position 2 B midfield champion.  IF the AM performed better.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Stroll drove well.

They will get there Sakae. There is some positions gained, 2-3 places. Maybe some MB guy slipped a note or 2.

Do you know when the next updates are coming?

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

They will get there Sakae. There is some positions gained, 2-3 places. Maybe some MB guy slipped a note or 2.

Do you know when the next updates are coming?

On 2021.06.20 17:00 (UTC)

Unfortunately I don't know what their plans are, however I fear that based on poor results they may decide it's a lost cause this year, and will turn 100% to the next season. (Speculating, of course.)

52 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

With Lando showin HIS consistency 4 best of the rest.  Seb is now in a position 2 B midfield champion.  IF the AM performed better.

Vettel is 4x WDC. Nothing less.

from a guy on one of the forums... Sums it up for me...

"Aston Martin could be a winner, but too close to call. Their medium pace was horrible at the start of the stint and when they had proper pace it was too late. A few more tenths per lap and Vettel could have finished P6 instead of P9. One positive to take was the ability of the car and the drivers to conserve their tyres while maintaining decent pace relative to the midfield. A little more qualifying pace and they would be in for that upper midfield fight with McLaren and Ferrari.'

On 2021.06.21 7:04 (UTC)

Sebastian mentioned he had poor start. In fact lost one position to Giovinazzi. Despite relatively quick recovery, these kind of setbacks should not happen to a team aspiring to stand on podium. AM has similar PU as McLaren, and drivers, just as the team on sidelines must figure out two prong strategy. Put McLaren behind, and then work on plan how to deal with those 3 - RBR, MB, and Ferrari. 

6 sec to take down McLaren in France didn't seem much, but it is not an easy job for tires, driver, etc.  Seb surely wasn't impressed with his tires in Q2 on Saturday, but it is what it is. Problem is, it's very long time truism that races commence on Saturday.

On 2021.06.21 7:41 (UTC)

Now we know what DR's problem is. Renault surely is not evenly matched with MB. This after last race.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 9.32.35.png

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

On 2021.06.21 7:41 (UTC)

Now we know what DR's problem is. Renault surely is not evenly matched with MB. This after last race.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 9.32.35.png

Lol. Where did you see this

Can't understand how the race director missed this.. it's becoming a regular thing to miss out on some of the best moments of the race...

The last 10 seconds 😬

On 6/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, blackpebel said:

Power Rankings just got updated.. and it seems to agree with the rankings in my head 😀😀🤟🤟

Screenshot_20210624-050928_Instagram.jpg.fd0ec4e2e0f38c0f47807af3e2e54327.jpg

Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-power-rankings-whos-top-of-the-table-after-the-nail-biting-french-grand.3FTbLs5wSE3169bQOpetYV.html