Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2022)

D/T 2022.01.01  18:26 CET

We look forward to new beginning on many fronts. Minds behind latest technical specifications are promising dawn in new era of competitiveness. 

There is much to look forward, or perhaps "plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose" [Karr]?

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

There is much to look forward, or perhaps "plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose" [Karr]?

It is, what it is

RedBull power trains SHOULD talk 2 Cosworth
Pirelli: Every race could be one stop in 2022 
> This indicates that 4 2023 a NEW tyre supplier will NEED 2 enter F1 
2 mix things UP - addin variables in2 the sport.

D/T 2022.01.02  08:54 CET

Source GP247:

(WDC) led 652 laps this (2021) season, more than all other drivers combined (645);

To kick the new season off my first question with respect to new specs is, how this ratio will change when lights go off in December this year?

A few thoughts: perhaps all depends how such stats are interpreted, however ending races only with 3 to 5 cars out of 20 remaining on the lead lap has to end, and that's what new specs are suppose to accomplish. Last season was marred with only a few drivers were fast in quali and in the race, regardless of car setup. Will this change? Hard to say, but qualified drivers have their doubts. 

Qualification for the race needs overhauling, however I fear F1 is heading into US style pre-race sprints, and we may find this suits only to fastest cars and best driver. Max not only will remain in P1, but he will be mighty difficult to overtake him. 

Having several chances grab a pole, as it used to be, is what is needed. Ambient conditions presented with semi-wet and drying track, or so often seen this year which was track interference for drivers on a hot lap is lacking in so many fronts.

For example, how it helps Vettel (or anyone else) when his hot lap is adversely affected with a guilty driver, who in turn is "punished"? It doesn't. Damage is lasting and unrecoverable under current procedure. Precisely why we need changes in qualifications procedures and whole system of punitive measures for changing engines, etc.

It seems to me that some weaknesses of the past will be just carried over to this year. New FiA president has therefore chance to stamp his mark and bring back some sanity. Will he meet my expectations?

D/T 2022.01.04  12:19 CET

“But, if you have more success and you will bring more sponsors in, maybe we could also have fewer races. It looks like it’s not the way that we are going,” he added.

The Professor, a four-time F1 World Champion is also against the dumbing-down of the sport with gimmicks such as reverse order grids, even in Sprint races: “I am much more for the tradition and Formula 1 has to stay the way it is.

Old school.

My first real hero on the grid when I started. 

Great men think alike. 

I love Mr. Prost. He makes more sense in my mind than 90% of those in the F1 paddock. 

Long live Professor! F1 need more of those like you.

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

F1 need more of those like you

>           retired racing driver
Bankrupt F1 team.
Still hangin around F1 4 NO reason.

IS part of the PAST - not the FUTURE of F1

D/T 2022.01.05  12:01 CET

In re: A. Prost and his association with the F1.

Despite toxic nastiness we encounter on the Internet,  Prost’s driving credentials are undisputed. Quietly brilliant, subject of denials and misrepresentation by loudmouths and detractors then and now. For me he is sharing spotlight with Schumacher as two of hard to dispute greatest drivers of all time. The non-executive director of Alpine F1 Team, and as an ex-WDC, in my mind he has more rights to hang around F1 than most people we see in the Paddock with access to public waves. Longue vie et prospérité, Alain.

D/T 2022.01.06  08:19 CET

Scary

I would rather say repulsive, but otherwise agree. Problem is years in making. Bellicose, pugnacious attitude transcend political lines and spills into sport. Surprised? Not really. Most young people in many countries don't know any better. Most games played on computers (as I see at home) are just about war, aggression, killing people for pleasure playing game without clearly stated (defensive) reasons, and lack of tolerance is overwhelming. Writing was on the wall for very long time. What do I wish for New Year? End of manipulative headlines, less words, and more analysis from qualified people. One can dream...(in any age). There aren't many on TV and internet who know what facts are, confirmed, or unconfirmed.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/812486/New_Aston_Martin_base_8216takes_shape8217_in_timelapse_video/

Expect some fire works from AM in 2022. They have the right technical and financial support to pull off a good season this year.

They didn't waste too much time on developing the 2021 car by focussing on 2022.

I read on so many boards the desire for "better" (closer) racing and more equity between cars. I don't understand why anyone, watching the best the racing world has to offer, expect 10 different constructors to design, fabricate, and develop individual vehicles that run at the same speed. A preposterous thought when it's supposed to be the exhibition of who can create, and who can drive, the highest tech race cars on the planet. Why does anyone want to lower the bar for this demonstration, when there are other series that have diluted themselves to put on the desired "show".

. If a "better "show" is required, may I suggest the spec/kit car populated IndyCar for you. The cars are all off-the-shelf Dallara DW12s (for the passed 12 years and on into the future) with mandated body panels and other components for your. Can't go wrong with exactly the same cars playing follow the leader, and pass and re-pass since they're so equal. How exciting.😒

How about sports car racing that has diminished to another "choreographed" show with it's BoPing (Balance of Performance) from race to race, and other gimmicks to keep the "competition" (tee-hee, that's funny) nice and close for you. Of course, there's also NASCRAP....excuse me.....NASCAR.....for the uninititaed masses that think they're watching a "sport"......

Leave F1 alone, please.

7 hours ago, jimclark said:

I read on so many boards the desire for "better" (closer) racing and more equity between cars. I don't understand why anyone, watching the best the racing world has to offer, expect 10 different constructors to design, fabricate, and develop individual vehicles that run at the same speed. A preposterous thought when it's supposed to be the exhibition of who can create, and who can drive, the highest tech race cars on the planet. Why does anyone want to lower the bar for this demonstration, when there are other series that have diluted themselves to put on the desired "show".

F1 is technically advanced as compared to other racing series,,, yes. But it does not give it the right to take away the charm of showcasing the driver's championship,,, at the cost of holding a constructors championship alongside each other's. If there is a constructor who comes up with a car that has an undue advantage, only 2 driver's benefit from it.

Imagine 20 people playing poker, but for 2 of those twenty, we deal out of a different deck that has more aces, kings, queens and jacks.

Motorracing has a human gladiator element connected it, if you take that away, then we are only left with who can create the best cars.

Equality in regulations is important, within which teams can find ingenious solutions, but nothing that gives them an unfair advantage.

I personally see F1 in a better shape in 2022. It's is challenging for the constructors, and fair to the driver's, that is what it should be.

13 hours ago, jimclark said:

. If a "better "show" is required, may I suggest the spec/kit car populated IndyCar for you. The cars are all off-the-shelf Dallara DW12s (for the passed 12 years and on into the future) with mandated body panels and other components for your. Can't go wrong with exactly the same cars playing follow the leader, and pass and re-pass since they're so equal. How exciting.😒

How about sports car racing that has diminished to another "choreographed" show with it's BoPing (Balance of Performance) from race to race, and other gimmicks to keep the "competition" (tee-hee, that's funny) nice and close for you. Of course, there's also NASCRAP....excuse me.....NASCAR.....for the uninititaed masses that think they're watching a "sport"......

Leave F1 alone, please.

It was my pleasure reading this, altho with respect to conclusion, I fear it's too late for that.  They are (were?) running from one extreme to another under arbitrary set of regulations which make sense to no one. Tokens? Cannot work on the car when needed to the extend its needed? Preposterous. There is no need to list all in here again. Fact is, F1 was never about equality, and that was essence of its beauty, however regulations under which F1 operated past 7 years helped destroyed my trust that F1 is run by sensible people. Choking competition put out of existence one big country in recent times. F1 needs to be careful emulating so hurriedly failed systems. Maybe people who do read history are dying, or are pushed aside, and now we have only those who get their ideas from the Facebook (now Meta) on a phone.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:39 AM, Sakae said:

It was my pleasure reading this, altho with respect to conclusion, I fear it's too late for that.  They are (were?) running from one extreme to another under arbitrary set of regulations which make sense to no one. Tokens? Cannot work on the car when needed to the extend its needed? Preposterous. There is no need to list all in here again. Fact is, F1 was never about equality, and that was essence of its beauty, however regulations under which F1 operated past 7 years helped destroyed my trust that F1 is run by sensible people. Choking competition put out of existence one big country in recent times. F1 needs to be careful emulating so hurriedly failed systems. Maybe people who do read history are dying, or are pushed aside, and now we have only those who get their ideas from the Facebook (now Meta) on a phone.

Yes, quite a joy to read

I never thought of it that way. Everyone seems to be bought into this notion of close racing (wheel-to-wheel; which is nice, but even with this current formula we have been deprived of that, unless the race director keeps focussing on midfield. That's where close racing is. Means F1 has failed with regulations that does not make any sense... That's the evidence.

I wonder if the token system will still be in place come 2026?

D/T 2022.01.08  11:06 CET

I am have no rational understanding purpose of tokens, other than protecting Hamilton from competition (catching up to MB) for several years. I would compare token system to treatment of Covid-19 with household bleach. Effectiveness and outcome of such approaches is about the same.

1 minute ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Very Interesting.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/102691/audi-and-porsche-ready-to-enter-f1-with-mclaren-and-red-bull.html

Imagine RBR teaming up Porsche, who left as undisputed champion engine supplier. It could usher in a good era from Max's perspectives. They could basically just dissect Honda intel and build accordingly.

Audi, Porsche, ... I believe it when i see it. There is one person on this forum, who is constantly selling to RBR Brown's interest in Cosworth. 

I say - go ahead, having in mind what one military guy (NB) said long time ago, namely, "never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake".

The McLaren MP4/3 is a Formula One racing car built and run by McLaren International during the 1987 Formula One World Championship. ... Additionally the car was the last to be powered by a TAG-Porsche engine.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

Audi, Porsche, ... I believe it when i see it.

It HAS happened B4 - believe IT

image.png.179cc54e9e50dcbe36bacf7feb213784.png

We are discussing potential new engagement in F1 by one or two German brands, as opposed England in 18th century or something like that. 

MAYB 

I am JUST pointin OUT - Would NOT B anythin NEW
History HAS a habit of, REPEATIN itself
People look 2 the PAST before decidin 2 move FORWARD
> The wheel will NOT B reinvented - it might B called somethin different but,
it is STILL a wheel  - with a DIFFERENT name   

If Red Bull (or ANYBODY) want REAL marketin POWER 
> INVENT (put UR name 2) a SQUARE Wheel
That HAS potential 

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

We are discussing potential new engagement in F1 by one or two German brands

Second is first OF the loser`s

lip., your logic defies answers.

My (unsolicited) recommendation for German brands - don't do it. F1 lives on borrowed time in its current form, as images of Manchester rust belt comes to mind.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

F1 lives on borrowed time in its current form

That form IS the new new.
Brink BACK Bernie.  The current show is NOT workin
ANOTHER reset IS required.
The MGH-UH IS leavin - that probably IS the biggest current issue.  So the current form IS changin.
The sport IS bein dumbed down, 2 get MORE bums on seats - improve the SHOW.

D/T 2022.01.09  12:46 CET

I do consider current power-plant as technological marvel unrivalled in motorsport. Nothing wrong with that system. Problem I think is rather limitation of human mindset, and perhaps also for some lack of money to participate in unconstricted manufacturer's series. That however is not fault of equipment. 

Greater issue as I think about that are people like Newey, and him alike. They are trained in aerodynamics, and they do their do-do on cars, which conceptually flawed cannot follow each other, very unstable side by side, and unless a driver adopts mindset of a bomber, it is difficult to overtake. Cars of past years aerodynamically were failure.

People complain about engines, yet who complains about shattered body work? Front wing, once I heard being quoted at 120 - 150 000 [€] each. We see enough of those through the year wasted on roadside. And there is more... I am not sure what we will see in two months with new specs. 

Warmly I do recall races (in attendance) when Alain, Michael or Ayrton were close to each other, and without necessity to dive-in à la carte, Dutch style they could pass.  It would be nice to see that again.  

On 1/5/2022 at 11:19 AM, Sakae said:

Prost’s driving credentials are undisputed

In a DIFFERENT formula.
Prost does NOT have turbo hybrid era skills.
Experience > the ability to recognise a mistake when U make it again

Ah, please.

Prost is thinking and occasionally also talking. Technically, he is more involved in hybrids than any Sky people with microphones who are just talking. I don't hear any complains from your side about depth of their knowledge of hybrid technology. Why would that be?

Between them, I take Prost's opinion any time.

BTW, Prost didn't committed any serious mistakes, if you are ref. to his team issues. Simply put, his sponsors pull out, and left Alain holding a bag. That happens occasionally even to best people.