Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2022)

D/T 2022.01.11  15:25 CET

Raikkonen: Driving is the only thing I liked about Formula 1!

Yes. There are more of us on the same page.

D/T 2022.01.12  14:23 CET

Now the BBC claim a “senior source” has told them Mercedes “dropped their appeal against the results of the race after agreeing a quid pro quo deal with the FIA”.They add that “this deal was said to be that Masi and FIA head of single-seater technical matters Nikolas Tombazis would no longer be in their positions for the 2022 season”.

Mercedes denied accusation.

Based on what he called “senior sources close to Lewis Hamilton”, Slater said: “As we speak right now, with 69 days to go until the first Grand Prix in Bahrain, it is still unclear whether Lewis Hamilton will be on the grid.

Sulking? 

I think the car #44 was beaten by a better strategy and a better driver when cars were approx. of similar strength, and when it counted.

Lovely. I am not a fan of Verstappen, but he deserves the WDC. He was robbed (IMHO) of points in previous races, which permitted Hamilton to close gap to his rival. That of course bothers very few of the same people who are whining about last race. That's life. If Hamilton leaves F1, I will celebrate. That much is certain.  

British Media doesn't know how to rate drivers. 

Verstappen probably the best driver last year. Gasly just behind in 2nd place, then Vettel, then Mick.

Then Kimi, Ocon and Alonso.

Then the rest. 

@thetruth34

Hi, welcome back. I like your enthusiasm, but lets keep feet on the ground. I do agree with you that Verstappen was (is?) probably best driver last season. Gasly and Ocon are overlooked by media. They do deserve better. I've heard rumor that MB may choose Gasly as replacement for Hamilton in 2022.

Mick has problem driving really bad car, and he is overdriving it, I think.

Alonso deserves a kind word for his effort on return. Pretty good on his part.

Sebastian - hard to say anything bad. As BE noted the other day, he has really non-performing car, so we cannot say he is ready for retirement. Given a performance car with sweet spot that suits him, and I trust he will visit podium on regular basis.

It looks like Masi was moved by a new FiA president.

New leader reorganized ORG-chart. I've noticed despite that Germany makes best cars in the world, they didn't get to have a seat in any (FiA) leadership chairs. Japan came short on that count as well.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Japan came short on that count as well.

Japan come short on most things.
> metaphorically speaking.

5 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Japan come short on most things.
> metaphorically speaking.

Oh I don't know about that. In real life they were perfectly fine on the last lap when it counted last year. Moreover, considering their massive industrial investment on the island, they do practically feeding your country,. There is nothing much to complain about, metaphorically speaking.

D/T 2022.01.13  08:58 CET

He [Hamilton] said over the team radio during the race that “this has been manipulated”.

Whining continues beyond race. It has been noted that we have this noise only when it concerns one driver, whereas zero concerns for others in similar situations. It has been hard to determine what is really manipulated for past seven years. Race director can make to his discretion race related calls as he deems appropriate. Whiting was doing it all the time. My driver got shafted by his calls on several occasions.

If anything, if they want to put anyone in witness box, it should be FiA regulations and statues which were put in place long time before Masi. If they don't want a repeat of 2021, change books. I have no opinion on Masi, but I think in this case he has done nothing wrong.

5 minutes ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.01.13  08:58 CET

He [Hamilton] said over the team radio during the race that “this has been manipulated”.

Whining continues beyond race. It has been noted that we have this noise only when it concerns one driver, whereas zero concerns for others in similar situations. It has been hard to determine what is really manipulated for past seven years. Race director can make to his discretion race related calls as he deems appropriate. Whiting was doing it all the time. My driver got shafted by his calls on several occasions.

If anything, if they want to put anyone in witness box, it should be FiA regulations and statues which were put in place long time before Masi. If they don't want a repeat of 2021, change books. I have no opinion on Masi, but I think in this case he has done nothing wrong.

Yes. Quite true...

In a recent BBC poll, 87% said it was NOT, inluding british viewers.

He's been spoiled to death. He needs to be penalised for avoiding gala event. This nonsense must stop

D/T 2022.01.13  09:31 CET

The Yomiuri Shimbun reporting:

Isuzu and Honda will test on public roads hydrogen powered trucks. On one change expected is about 600 [km] of travel distance. It is about 20 years or so (that much?), when I have attended on invitation from a well known auto-company a seminar in Mexico about future of automotive industry. Hydrogen cell was identified then already as the ultimate technological target (at least for now). Every thinking man would know, that electrical vehicles present whole range of new problems, as there is need for totally new infrastructure, which is right now missing. I am impressed by competition, but as far as I know, Germany has their own research up there as well. Meanwhile, my cost of electricity bill is rising...

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

they were perfectly fine on the last lap when it counted

When it counted;
>Second is first of the losers

D/T 2022.01.14  12:18 CET

WOLFF: I HOPE WE SEE LEWIS AGAIN, HE’S THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF F1

Common Toto, if your driver needs buttering of that kind, then he is perhaps not fit for this sport. F1 would be in huge trouble, if it is dependable on Hamilton's mood of the day and his occasional fits. He has done it several times in the past, and his meltdowns are not too pleasant to watch. In your forthcoming meeting with a new FiA president, please consider your words more carefully..

Short answer is - no, I don't know him. I "knew" about some guys from the old BMW crowd, but not him. His CV seems similar to Andreas Seidl, which is a pretty good one, and better than most. Whether Stroll will give him a free hand (as AS has at McLaren) remains to be seen. If he will be however (mis)managed by Whitmarsh, then no, I don't expect much. 

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Short answer is - no, I don't know him. I "knew" about some guys from the old BMW crowd, but not him. His CV seems similar to Andreas Seidl, which is a pretty good one, and better than most. Whether Stroll will give him a free hand (as AS has at McLaren) remains to be seen. If he will be however (mis)managed by Whitmarsh, then no, I don't expect much. 

thx

D/T 2022.01.17  09:58 CET

F1 risks extinction within a decade – Vettel

“Financial interests should not be the top priority in planning the calendar,” said Vettel, 34.

True, my friend. Very true. It is however problematic. Owners seems to be however more interested in money, which is why F1 is floating on a stock exchange. Sport is for them merely a vehicle how to make money without actually doing any work (people who really do work are employed by the teams). 

I am pleased that we have first time a driver stating publicly what most know for years. It is also main reason why from time to time I was dreaming about international manufacture's series devoid excessive influence from a single source. 

FULL THROTTLE 

Lewis Hamilton called greatest ever driver is ‘difficult to justify’, according to F1 legend Sir Jackie Stewart

Agreed, despite that I say "it cannot be justified". MB' overall supremacy puts their driver into shadows.

28 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Agreed, despite that I say "it cannot be justified". MB' overall supremacy puts their driver into shadows.

Agreed. From another English legend lol

Hamilton is above average driver. For all what we know he might be in the group of exceptional drivers, however past seven or eight years are blurring his record. We know that his performance at McLaren was something I would not be writing songs about. At MB when even a relatively small thing turned into his disfavor, he had meltdown and complain in media. For example Hamilton vs Rosberg, Monaco, in other time his insistence that he must get his teammates' mechanics, because they were "better", and there was more of similar incidents. Deservedly or not, life treated him well in recent times. I don't actually know of any other driver who would had it that good. Maybe he should have 8 titles in his pocket right now, if he is best of all times. Moreover, I would have probably other thoughts, had he beaten Verstappen in the last race. 

17 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.01.17  14:36 CET

Alain Prost retires.

Otmar might be moving in...

“I have refused the offer made to me in Abu Dhabi for the 2022 season because of a personal relationship and I was right! To the Enstone and Viry team I will miss you.”

Sounds like that he had enough of F1 and Alpine.

A thought occurred to me that much sought improvement of F1 should begging with someone purchasing McLaren, and retiring Mr. Brown; preferably before lunch on the same day. The same goes for Brundle and the circle of self-appointed experts around him. 

D/T 2022.01.18  17:19 CET

With Lewis Hamilton’s post 2021 Formula 1 season finale silence yet to be broken, Toto Wolff revealed that he and the Briton will sit together in February the latest.

What's going on? Meeting? Why not just make a call and tell him - I want to know by tomorrow at 0800 whether you are in, or out. I have others interested.That's all. 

Hamilton is after all mere an employee.

D/T 2022.01.19  11:40 CET

Formula 1 cars are dreadful

Really? Brawn needs to ask drivers, because he - allegedly expert - didn't know it after decades with the sport?: How many years we (older fans) were pleading from sidelines, change the spec, change the spec...

He, Mosley and a few others bear responsibility for that state of design. Had they stamped their foot, design would have changed. Not too long ago I wrote exactly the same; it is not a power plant which is bad, but crapy designs by Newey, Allison, and others created problems.

"So we knew there was a challenge there, an issue there that we needed to fix."

After a decade looking at it, Brawn discovered America. Bravo. What a relieve.