Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2022)

It could just be that in 2022, instead of six, there will be no sprint races at all. 

Perfect. Zero is very nice number, and to those who are whining for American style quali, then go and find yourself another sport, or pay for extra expenses teams will occur on sprint style qualifying. Nothing is free of cost. That stupid and expensive zig-zagging around the globe back and forth to meet scheduled locations is still on. So far only Vettel had an idea which made any sense.

Audi should be thinking about starting GP series on their own, or purchasing either Minardi or Sauber if they really want to do it. 

31 minutes ago, Sakae said:

purchasing either Minardi or Sauber

Please keep UP.
Minardi & Sauber purchased a LONG time ago.
Sauber Ferrari 2 - Alfa 
Red Bull bought Minardi team - became Toro Rosso

8 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Please keep UP.
Minardi & Sauber purchased a LONG time ago.
Sauber Ferrari 2 - Alfa 
Red Bull bought Minardi team - became Toro Rosso

Wow, life is full of surprises, but I do accept your expert counsel. 

Alpine seems in doldrums. Seems like another story of a manufacturer moving from regular turbo to split and facing reliability issues while other 3 manufacturers have made progress on their respective power units.

McLaren Ferrari and AM seem to be having a good preparation for the coming year.

Redbull and Merc look poised to bring in thier A game if the reports are true.

I am in doubt that we really know what's going on behind closed doors. I tend to believe Alain Prost speaking about some issues at Alpine, but then, what do we really know about rest of them? Reliably, nothing much. RBR is having issues with fuel (we are told), whereas MB is projecting sunny side of the pancake, so Hamilton can be happy with his superiority. 

Until Bahrain, stories will change daily.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:16 AM, Sakae said:

Zero is very nice number,

Technicality zero is NOT a number.  Zero is a null.

3 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Technicality zero is NOT a number.  Zero is a null.

Whatever. A season without American style qualifying is music to my ears.

D/T 2022.01.20  21:29 CET

The FIA’s report into the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix not only needs to state what was “right, and what was wrong” but also what action will be taken.

That’s according to McLaren CEO Zak Brown.

I didn't see anything wrong with last race ending laps. Is Brown actually suggesting that Verstappen winning WDC is wrong and FiA is now on red carpet? Brown should rather concern himself with incidents when Verstappen got shafted in questionable manner, which permitted for car #44 to close points gap in the first place. Where was he with his wisdom when it was needed then?

I am not alone in determination that the Race Director has not done anything illegal or against rules. Slightly unusual, yes, but no rules were broken and IMO teams need to adjust. 

Hamilton fan club might not like ending, but why is it problem for FiA? MB pit wall was caught with their pants down, and that's just about all. It's their problem.

D/T 2022.01.21  13:20 CET

Porsche teaming up with Red Bull ...???

I am for all German companies to be involved in GP racing, but suggested affiliation leaves me somewhat unsatisfied. I wish Porsche would get their own team, to start with. Secondly, where does that leaves Honda, a company which supported RBR to the top, and in my understanding is prepared to continue support this team for next several years?

Voices were heard that Honda will probably return for 2026, but suggested displacement is casting shadows on question - to which team? It will not be McLaren. In fact I think Porsche entry will probably pour cold water on Honda's return, unless there is full new team build up. It's seems messy right now.    

D/T 2022.01.21  14:26 CET

'Formula 1 teams agree to shorter practice format in 2022'

This never ends. Does this make sense to anybody? Sim cabin cannot substitute ambient condition of a real track. Every automotive company knows that well, but F1 experts.

I recall what Alonso said; F1 is the only top sport, in which (allegedly top) athletes aren't allowed to train. Teams are evaluating car in races, yet since when a race is a car test? Alonso admitted once, that McLaren actually used races as testing grounds, since there was no other opportunity. Shouldn't fans feel cheated?

D/T 2022.01.21  19:51 CET

Mercedes engine head Hodgkinson to join Red Bull in May after teams agree release date

It appears people moving back and forth all the time.  Based on published reports, this would be second "engine head" who will be leaving MB power plant.

D/T 2022.01.21  19:56 CET

Renault makes bomb of an engine for Alpine in 2022'

...reported by sp. media. Ocon and Alonso might like it.

The thing is, in old times, when Renault rivaled Honda, until today I firmly believe that at the end Renault was a winner. Fantastic engine from French works. It's only in 2014 with really bad FiA rules they got unfortunately stuck with some initial mistakes, and in my estimation they never managed to fully recover.

D/T 2022.01.22  08:50 CET

Hamilton "distancing himself" from 'bad loser' Wolff - Villeneuve

Former F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve believes Lewis Hamilton's continued silence is an indicator he is "distancing himself" from Toto Wolff following the behaviour of the Mercedes team principal over the closing stages of the controversial season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Oh I don't know, Jacque. Is there such thing as "Good Loser" in the F1? Gracious defeated man, maybe, but second place finish is a great achievement on its own. Wolff has done a lot for Hamilton over years. He has done a lot for people at works as well. I am not sure he deserves too much of critique. Nerves were ditched in last stages of the race, but that's easy to understand. Before we absolve Hamilton from being bad loser, perhaps we should hear reason why he was absent from FiA gala when Verstappen was crowned WDC. That alone rather re-confirms what we know for years, who is what.  

D/T 2022.01.22  10:56 CET

Rumors are rumors, however there is an interesting slant in them. It's off-season, so lets consider couple of those. Porsche to RBR, and Audi to McLaren. How does that would work? Both brands are owned by the same company. Can they compete fair and square, or if needed, head office can covertly decide which one of their brands should be in spotlight in any given year? I am not trying to suggest they would do that, but...

It would pain me to see Audi with McLaren. Auto Union is my family brand, whereas McLaren is not.

DKW my father owned was my first car I drove as a small boy, when my parents left house. Short hour of absence was enough for me to drive the car out of the garage, but I couldn't hide my "crime" and drive it back. Next to surprise of my father I am not goin to describe what followed...  (I was 10 or even younger, cannot recall exactly). Audi was a first car I paid for and owned as a working man.

D/T 2022.01.24  10:23 CET

Pierre Gasly might have won a race in 2020, but the Frenchman believes that his 2021 Formula 1 season was his most consistent in the sport yet.

I believe so too. He had a really good year. Issue is, whether this personal effort will be converted having a better seat in near future. Pierre Gasly, not Russell should be driving for MB and show his mettle. His partnership with Verstappen is not guaranteed either. I am not sure whether Dr. Marko wants any mental disturbance for Verstappen, but then, Max seems mentally much stronger than Hamilton. We can only hope once Perez hangs his helmet, perhaps Pierre gets his promotion which he so richly deserve. Maybe Gasly could push Verstappen to a new level. One however doesn't know yet who managed to make best of new specs. Chances are, RBR will remain a good team to aim for.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

Pierre Gasly, not Russell should be driving for MB

Russell WILL bring focus.
Eyes WILL B on him - Mercedes KNOW this.
Regardless whether Hamilton stay`s or leaves, people WILL B lookin at Mercedes - with Russell onboard.
Mercedes will NOT even have 2 win, the media IS obsessed with Russell - so Mercedes WILL B seen, whatever.
F1 is about seein the brand. 

5 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

Russell WILL bring focus.
Eyes WILL B on him - Mercedes KNOW this.
Regardless whether Hamilton stay`s or leaves, people WILL B lookin at Mercedes - with Russell onboard.
Mercedes will NOT even have 2 win, the media IS obsessed with Russell - so Mercedes WILL B seen, whatever.
F1 is about seein the brand. 

You have your opinion, and I have mine. MB wants to promote MB. Russell is just a tool which can be used or tossed. Gasly, given a chance, is however a higher quality tool IMHO. 

British side is heavily promoting one of their own, regardless whether he deserves the MB seat or not. Promote Gasly with the same verve, and world turn its eyes on him, instead the other man. Besides, Gasly proved - hopefully to more people than just me - he deserves a better seat over where he is now. I have a hunch his qualities are at another level, whilst I cannot say the same about Russell. That one is moving on from (often) last team to the top team. Something is not right with that process. It's time we have another party promoting F1 internationally.

9 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Promote Gasly with the same verve, and world turn its eyes on him, instead the other man

ONLY IF he performs.  Otherwise he will just fall, off the cliff.
Eyes R already ON Russell.

3 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

ONLY IF he performs.  Otherwise he will just fall, off the cliff.
Eyes R already ON Russell.

True, but thus far from what I see, Gasly is performing extremely well, and at another level compared to Russell. Funny thing is, you doubt Gasly, and placing your trust on someone who is not really fighting for podium race by race, but merely getting tonnes of free publicity from a broadcaster of the same nationality. 

13 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Gasly is performing extremely well

In UR opinion.
Just the same as a LOT of other drivers - they R also performin extremely well.
Look at Barrichello - he WOULD perform consistently.
He even performed well enough 2 get 2 Ferrari.
Though he was alway`s a bridesmaid.

@lipstick79

lip., you might be under illusion, that I want to discuss meritocracy how your fellow countryman is getting one of the best chairs in the house. Well, I really don't. For me this is just one of those many atrocious and indignant incidents in this sport. There are a few on my list, and more important than this one.  Deal is done, and let's hope it will work well for you.  

D/T 2022.01.24  17:51 CET

AlphaTauri's Pierre Gasly says he's already bracing for "key move" at the end of 2022, possibly with Red Bull Racing, that could potentially determine his future success in the sport.

Sorry Pierre, but you need to be strong mentally. You are correct in gaging your career with this sport, however I am not so sure about that return to RBR, even if your 2022 results exceed last year mark. I have great respect for Dr. Helmut Marko, but this fellow has one nasty habit, namely giving most people just one chance. There are no re-do's with him, so I don't know whether you will be on the top of his list. Such is harsh reality. This of course is only path you might have, so, try your best, and pray a lot.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

that could potentially determine his future success in the sport.

Only Pierre Gasly can determine his future success in the sport, NOT Red Bull
If he wants success, he will find a way otherwise he will find an excuse 

D/T 2022.01.25  07:49 CET

There are "very deep" wounds within Lewis Hamilton after the controversial finale to the ultra-intense 2021 title battle, Toto Wolff has revealed.

Poor baby.Bad people hurt his feelings.