Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2022)

Commendable.

Gasly had a chance to speak about his aims and approach to the upcoming 23-race 2022 F1 championship.

He said: "I will be trying to build on the run I had of very good results and to continue to be on top of my game with the car I have. I really hope that this is a year when I can fight at the very front, to finish regularly in the top five and even higher if the car is good enough for that.

Suitable mindset for them all in lower part of the grid. I have began to pay attention to this driver only recently, and closer I look, more impressed I am. His craft, his demeanour, his public persona - all in place, modest, well spoken, and deserving. Good luck fellow.

D/T 2022.02.14  19:44 CET

AlphaTauri team boss Franz Tost said Formula 1 should cut back its calendar to 18-20 races, as it otherwise risked fans losing interest in the sport.

Strangely enough, that's my line for past a few years. Herr Tost is obviously a thinking man. There aren't too many of those in this sport. 

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.02.14  19:44 CET

Strangely enough, that's my line for past a few years. Herr Tost is obviously a thinking man. There aren't too many of those in this sport. 

Greed begets more greed

AlphaTauri is a team which pleases me in more ways than just having really good looking contender. With Gasly at he wheel I can see them in Q3 on regular basis, giving big boys fits in the fight for top 5 places. Yuki will draw on his last year experience, and learn of Gasly.
Admittedly this is more of a wish list today. I am falling in love with that team. (Hopefully it's not dementia.)

Toto seemed more satisfied with the outcome as compared to Christian .. what does that say?

Dr. Marko said they are late with their car development due to being engaged in championship fight last year, and also due to voluminous scope of changes in car design for this season. They are nervous.

Regarding last year, I think instead taking balanced view how Hamilton was able to rapidly accumulate points to catch Max, I think they will blame Masi for MB/Hamilton's shortcomings. (My speculation).

I am no fan of Max. He has done a lot of unjustified damage to Vettel with his diving into impossible places, and was praised for it. Had he done it to Hamilton as much in his early years, he would be in deep trouble. Instead, Vettel haters were pleased every time something bad happened. Having said that, I think he won last year fairly. Hamilton was no match for him through the season.

D/T 2022.02.16  08:12 CET

This year’s sweeping technical regulation changes have opened the door for the teams’ design gurus to “come up with innovative aero solutions”.

But, as Jody Egginton put it, with that comes the risk of getting it wrong.

AlphaTauri have released renderings of their 2022 car, the AT03, showing off a few of their solutions to Formula 1’s new aerodynamic regulations.

As of this season the sport will be using ground effect aerodynamics to generate the cars’ downforce, a move that F1 bosses hope will enable cars to follow each other far more closely.

(Bold text) Precisely my fear, if AM got it wrong again, that could be the end of the road for Sebastian. There is no point to be overly pessimistic, however fact is, this "freedom less testing" carries huge risk. Eggington (designer for AlphaTauri) merely confirms my point. I cannot claim that I am interpreting regulations correctly, however I do not detect space for dumping the wrong design, and starting over. Just as last year AM was caught with pants down, and they had to write a full year off. That's what this saving mania does to the teams. False economy. Good for some, disaster for others.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:51 PM, Sakae said:

He has done a lot of unjustified damage to Vettel with his diving into impossible places, and was praised for it.

791390163_sennaQuote.JPG.104fa86b1fa3577b7063786247f01b90.JPG

Its not 'unjustified' just because it happened to Vettel. Its called motor-racing.

I know from the past a lawyer/ex-racer, who used to call Verstappen Vercrushen, or something to that effect exactly for reasons I've stated. Problem is, Verstappen drove like Mansell on occasions. Dove in, and if there wasn't huge accident, it was only other drivers moved our of the was in unplanned manner, and saved a day. In Vettel's case he unfortunately on a few occasions got into contact on the other side, and was ridiculed for it by media and fans alike. For Max diving on the inside while entering right turn with two wheels off the track under high speed was senseless.I thought he would be sitting out a race or two to cool down, but no. F1 needed action, and new hero arrived. 

Until...

Mansell was in trouble with Fittipaldi, who explained to him what is, and what is not racing. Verstappen got away with it until he hit Ricciardo, or on the other occasion he almost wiped out Hamilton, other times he touched Alonso. Only then drivers declared him dangerous, and suddenly media were all over Max. So much for his so called racing.

I am with the F1 some odd 48 years, and I think I am qualified as a fan to know what is and what is not racing, and there is no need to lecture me. I have seen Senna in person race with Prost and Schumacher. I am very familiar with racing styles of all three men. To side Senna's and Verstappen's styles seems utterly ludicrous. Besides, Senna NEVER did stupid things what I have seen from Verstappen.

Since then, Max matured, Vettel forgave him, so I can do the same. 

🤔

So after 2013 all the Vettel fans were cheering for him in the after math of the Multi-21 Saga... stating that nice guys do not win championships. And come to think of it, Vettel did what he had to do, he was faster in that race in malaysia, period. He could have played along with Multi21 to give back something to the team and his team mate (Like Lando selflessly did in Monza 2021), but in the moment he chose not to, and rest is history. 

When time came to assess Max's aggressive style of driving a few years later, these fans who supported Vettle for the Multi21 saga, seemed to have had forgotten what they earlier stood for. Truth just didn't settle well when the harsh realty of hard racing was served back by Max, Not just to Vettle, but to a lot of other drivers.. Unfortunately everything here on this forum is about Vettle these days, so that's that.

The whole of F1 (NOT JUST 1 DRIVER) had to adjust to how good Max was under breaking, and came up with the rule that outlawed his breaking style. and so came The Max Rule . And No, what max was doing was not all correct with unsafe driving while breaking, but up until that point no one was bold enough to defend that Hard.

I was personally not a fan of Senna's insensible dives that were potentially hazardous, but at this level, THIS is what these guys do - They put everything on line, including their own life, to try to win. Now when I read Senna's words, I realize, its not about wanting to do a risky overtake, its about not staying behind someone, and wanting to risk all to get there.

Max has a - take no prisoners - approach to his racing, I don't think he needs anyones 'forgiveness', just like Vettle didn't need to offer explanation / Apologies for what he did in Malaysia 2013.

D/T 2022.02.17  08:04 (CET)

British Daily Mail reports:

Formula One’s reputation was further dented on Friday night when the meeting between Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff and FIA president Muhammed Ben Sulayem was shrouded in contrived secrecy, with Lewis Hamilton’s future participation in the sport unresolved.

The two big beasts met privately in Geneva to deliberate the controversial end to the season in Abu Dhabi that saw Hamilton lose the title to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen on the last lap.

Can we believe this? 

D/T 2022.02.17  11:22 (CET)

Hamilton vs Verstappen title battle attracts billions of fans

Formula 1 has released its audience figures for 2021, showing positive trends across almost all areas.

Oh I am not sure about credibility of claims involving billions of fans, but I have no doubt that last race promised to had potential to be interesting, and probably viewership was higher than usual. What I do not understand, why Liberty and FiA together have failed to figure out in mid 2014 downfall of one sided developments, and that an immediate intervention was appropriate and necessary to bring fight closer in 2015 by letting teams to fix their problems. Question then is, what took you so long..? Seven years you made the F1 a joke on world stage. 

Fair enough. Change is constant. And a change for the better is always appreciated.

1 minute ago, blackpebel said:

a change for the better is always

AMBIGUOUS

Better for whom?  Does NOT automatically make it an IMPROVEMENT, it just makes it different.

D/T 2022.02.18  11:16 (CET)

Rush-rush to put something out, ignorant and sloppy reporting. All is just copying semi-accurate info from somewhere else. Very few actually perform their own investigative journalism. Personally I have no accurate understanding of RB's plans based of gibberish one can find on the internet.

What is however confirmed, that despite specs from 2026 onwards aren't ratified yet, we shall see a different PU from those teams use today. It is therefore debatable, whether VW AG needs data from Honda (or anyone else) at all. 

In realm of my own speculation, I doubt that German automaker will enter the F1 under RBR name, having VW imprinted somewhere on the tarmac friction board.

Area where I am lost is how Audi and Porsche will compete without sharing development innovations. Maybe it will be permitted, who knows.  

Hamilton:

FiA still need to do more to regain my trust...

Has anyone asked him what else he wants? Initially I thought it may take a month or so before we would hear from him with new requests, but certainly I did not expect additional demands next day after Masi became talk of the town.

Former Formula 1 designer Gary Anderson believes that the “brave” and unique design of Ferrari’s 2022 car could be a sign that everyone else has so far headed down the wrong route...

It is clear now why FiA doesn't want to broadcast first of two scheduled pre-season tests. It si painful to see adult men crying as tears are rolling down the cheeks.

D/T 2022.02.19  12:44 (CET)

The Yomiuri Shimbun:

Japan to develop next-gen hydrogen aircraft.

I think this is what Sebastian Vettel wants in the F1. My man is ahead of his time.

GASLY: HAMILTON IN A WILLIAMS OR HAAS WOULD ALSO FINISH LAST

Gasly let out our little dirty secret.