Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - What's on your mind? (2022)

8 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Is that for real?? Hahaha

Yepp.. respect, massive!!!!

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl has welcomed discussions over a raise to the budget cap following what he has described as an 'uncontrollable cost explosion' in F1 this year.

I've received a lot of verbal abuse over years with my opposition to budget cap, favoring team's financial planners instead to control cost. They align entity expenditures to real world. Cost capping on racing car development can be, if so desired, controlled by specs.

But no, especially McLaren (Brown) was running around, trumpeting budget as F1 savior.

It was a bad idea then, it is lousy idea today, impossible to police it, and it was badly implemented. Brown, instead apologizing for his mistakes sends Seidl to weasel out of that predicament, which was so easily predictable to happen. 

Conclusion: this is what happen when technology sector is run by PR people instead qualified engineers.

Speaking ahead of his home Spanish Grand Prix, Carlos Sainz raised questions about the long-term health implications to drivers of Formula 1’s latest generation of cars.

No testing allowed, not needed? 

Conclusion: this is what happen when technology sector is run by PR people instead qualified engineers.

THE ABSOLUTELY WORST!!!

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I've received a lot of verbal abuse over years with my opposition to budget cap, favoring team's financial planners instead to control cost. They align entity expenditures to real world. Cost capping on racing car development can be, if so desired, controlled by specs.

But no, especially McLaren (Brown) was running around, trumpeting budget as F1 savior.

It was a bad idea then, it is lousy idea today, impossible to police it, and it was badly implemented. Brown, instead apologizing for his mistakes sends Seidl to weasel out of that predicament, which was so easily predictable to happen. 

No testing allowed, not needed? 

THE ABSOLUTELY WORST!!!

I agree with your sentiment, but what do you mean with bolded part. How can it not be policed? I suspect teams must have an accurate logbook, which needs to be presented and reviewed.

The no-testing bs can cause real harm to the drivers in the longer term, I've read. The  porpoising issue goes way beyond the F1 rulebook, it's a threat to the driver's health conditions.. Surely on that basis alone, I'm just using a specific example, teams should be allowed to sort this out with their respected Visual Identities . Performance-wise, allow teams test to level the playing field, in terms of competition. The concern is, how do you prevent teams who just forges ahead, with unlimited budget...

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I agree with your sentiment, but what do you mean with bolded part. How can it not be policed? I suspect teams must have an accurate logbook, which needs to be presented and reviewed.

The no-testing bs can cause real harm to the drivers in the longer term, I've read. The  porpoising issue goes way beyond the F1 rulebook, it's a threat to the driver's health conditions.. Surely on that basis alone, I'm just using a specific example, teams should be allowed to sort this out with their respected Visual Identities . Performance-wise, allow teams test to level the playing field, in terms of competition. The concern is, how do you prevent teams who just forges ahead, with unlimited budget...

Also

Log book is one thing. Reality is another. It is difficult to be precise, and even with a small deviation a team can and will loose a second here, a second there, and a race. Implementation of a technical tasks has endless variants and nuances, therefore very hard to get forensic overview how things are done. Team can (and probably do) covertly split technical investigation and then share results. Budding students of law do that all the time. Some equality can be achieved only when series is standardized through and through, but is that what we want?

Forgive me for repeating my old favorite, but if you don't want Mercedes to built a space shuttle, and Haas poor man's fast consumer car, then you need to control it through technical specs. In deterministic process you limit several major governing elements of performance. Some teams may reach such limit, others will be below, but no one will "run away". Actually we have this already in many areas, so why not relax some of the restrictiveness, and use sensible control? Example, fuel consumption is capped, and if J. Bauer (Tech. Delegate) will not find a liter of fuel in you car after race, the team is doomed. Ask Seb. Such limitations work as intended, so why not apply it sensibly elsewhere? There will be always innovation. Engine is frozen? Fine. We develop performance fuel. We have limit on that? We develop tastier water we drink...human mind is hard to lock in jail with silly budget caps. 

If I may add, this notion that all teams must be equal is a case of history turned on its head. The GP racing was NEVER about equals. It was a cluster of excesses. That's why old timers like me were drawn to this noise and glitz, in which always someone got their rear whipped. Problem is, technology advanced to the stage, when teams like McLaren, Williams, Haas, and others cannot compete with research labs of automobile companies. Trying to make them equal is waste of effort.  

With respect to porpoising - two decades ago the teams would have identified this problem already in November in preceding year, and possibly could have done something about it. Today, with all that preoccupancy with SAVINGS I suspect  Sainz is probably getting ill in the car, which is why he is carefully coming out with that. (If I recall, he is not the only one with health concerns). God bless savings.

Brad, do you recall my question, what will a team do when they reach budgetary limits in September? After intensive search on the internet, no one from media asked such question. Today I am amused that Brown from all people who is pushing most for all budgetary decreases is actually first one to ask for budget increase. 

This is what happen when technology sector is run by PR people instead qualified engineers.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

Brad, do you recall my question, what will a team do when they reach budgetary limits in September? After intensive search on the internet, no one from media asked such question. Today I am amused that Brown from all people who is pushing most for all budgetary decreases is actually first one to ask for budget increase. 

This is what happen when technology sector is run by PR people instead qualified engineers.

Lol Yes.

Teams won't manage to compete if they reach the ceiling, The answer is probably a spec series where parts are homologated while teams have free reign on aero and engine. and TESTING Pls

Lol Yes.

Teams won't manage to compete if they reach the ceiling, The answer is probably a spec series where parts are homologated while teams have free reign on aero and engine. and TESTING Pls

Permit me to offer other alternative, namely, if you cannot afford to play, stay out. We can stay here whole evening and cite one case after another, especially in golf, where exactly such rule is in effect.If you cannot put down 1 M down for annual fee, they lock a gate and not let you in. Take the F1 for example. Unless you pay some hideously high gate fee, they don't let you in. Unless you pay 200 MM entrant fee, they don't let you in, yet some TPs insist, there has to be low cost budget inflicted on them all, so they can play too. Make sense? Of course not.

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

The answer is probably a spec series where parts are homologated while teams have free reign on aero and engine. and TESTING Pls

That IS 1 solution - other variations R available.

^^^ That solution is NOT really F1.
F1 IS supposed 2 B, the best of the BEST.

homologated IS not f1, AND never SHOULD B -  if U want homologated OTHER series R available

F1 IS the BEST drivers  in the world
RACING
against the BEST drivers  in the world FOR the best TEAMS in the world

homologated MEANS the SAME 

Second is first of the LOSER`S

D/T 2022.05.21 19:32 UTC

Brilliant Haas!

Very much so:

(Haas) By soundly beating the likes of McLaren, Alpine, AlphaTauri and Aston Martin with their zero-upgrade car the American team proved that money does not buy success. None of the abovementioned teams improved, the likes of Aston Martin blatantly copying Red Bull’s mighty RB18 for a not so small fortune no doubt.

Haas hasn't had any upgrades, and in fact due to a few crashes, they were running out of spare parts. 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.05.21 19:32 UTC

Brilliant Haas!

Very much so:

Haas hasn't had any upgrades, and in fact due to a few crashes, they were running out of spare parts. 

Amazing is'nt it. I find it hard to believe they did NOT bring some sort of upgrade parts

I find it hard to believe they did NOT bring some sort of upgrade parts

Believe it baby.
Cost benefit analysis.
The cost of implementin some sort of upgrade parts
PROBABLY greater than the benefit.
> (just) a few tenth`s here, and a few tenth`s there - WHEN other teams R expected some sort of upgrade parts.
The goal posts R movin - nothin remains static.
The gains PROBABLY NOT worth the cost of implementin.
Now IF the design guys HAD come up with gains similar 2 that of the double-diffuser.
That WOULD B different.

7 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Amazing is'nt it. I find it hard to believe they did NOT bring some sort of upgrade parts

D/T 2022.05.22 4:32 UTC

As outsiders we are left guessing about Haas' internal situation. Based on some comments during previous races it was admitted that car crashes (mostly Mick) really hit them on available spare parts they had, including budget limit. So, they are scrambling on resources.

I think their design basically was less problematic than those of their rivals, and Kevin especially managed to make most of it, despite suffering some technical issues on his own (at least in 2 races). Yesterday it was dysfunctional DRS. Last year relocation to Maranello seems a good decision for that team.

Having praise them, it is not clear yet whether superb results are predominantly on the account of car/driver being so good, or rivals drowning in their own problems. Probably a good mix of it. Haas is definitely leading (IMO) midfield at the moment. Three teams are ahead of them, as would be expected.

Before I go, a word on Mick. I think after some technical bad luck, yesterday's entry into Q1 can make him proud. (For someone who doesn't belong here - says internet - it was yay!) There will be probably drop in the race today, but one step at the time. Regarding Kevin; I've never paid attention to him in the past, but now I am drowning in superlatives. Haas hit bullseye with him.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:32 AM, Sakae said:

Haas hit bullseye with him.

Haas - Right place at the right time.
Haas really have Mclaren 2 thank.  Came up through McLaren Formula One team's Young Driver Programme and drove for McLaren in the 2014 Formula One World Championship, before a stint with Renault in 2016. Magnussen drove for Haas from 2017 until the end of the 2020 season

On 5/22/2022 at 6:32 AM, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.05.22 4:32 UTC

As outsiders we are left guessing about Haas' internal situation. Based on some comments during previous races it was admitted that car crashes (mostly Mick) really hit them on available spare parts they had, including budget limit. So, they are scrambling on resources.

I think their design basically was less problematic than those of their rivals, and Kevin especially managed to make most of it, despite suffering some technical issues on his own (at least in 2 races). Yesterday it was dysfunctional DRS. Last year relocation to Maranello seems a good decision for that team.

Having praise them, it is not clear yet whether superb results are predominantly on the account of car/driver being so good, or rivals drowning in their own problems. Probably a good mix of it. Haas is definitely leading (IMO) midfield at the moment. Three teams are ahead of them, as would be expected.

Before I go, a word on Mick. I think after some technical bad luck, yesterday's entry into Q1 can make him proud. (For someone who doesn't belong here - says internet - it was yay!) There will be probably drop in the race today, but one step at the time. Regarding Kevin; I've never paid attention to him in the past, but now I am drowning in superlatives. Haas hit bullseye with him.

It was a really great decision to recall KMag.

Mick is still learning, but he is steadily improving. I've read some good things about him. He definately belongs in top-tier racing

2 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

It was a really great decision to recall KMag.

Mick is still learning, but he is steadily improving. I've read some good things about him. He definately belongs in top-tier racing

If we can trust articles posted on the internet (I mostly don't), Guenther Steiner allegedly issued performance related warning to Mick. Shape up, or there are others ready to take your seat. If he did so, that's his prerogative, however one could find causes why young Schumacher is not (yet) at Kevin's level. Psychologically such talks I find counterproductive. It's not like Schumacher is partying too much. He needs track time in a decent car, and it is up to Haas to provide all of it to him.

5 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Here's another issue with that budget cap Sakae

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/834159/Several_F1_teams_at_risk_of_missing_last_few_races__Horner/

Horner is rubbing it in. I don't blame him.  He wants to develop more

This was all so predictable. Maybe Mr. Brown can stand up and explain - what now - to rest of them.

They have new technology, almost no testing so they didn't know what cr**y car they put out, and they go with budget limit. (Similar to 2014). This is absolutely unbelievable, yet I could tell them the same just sitting on my couch at home.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

This was all so predictable. Maybe Mr. Brown can stand up and explain - what now - to rest of them.

If nothin changes, nothin changes

PU Usage... Mercedes seems strong. Although they don't have out right pace, they seem really good reliability.

In 2022, F1 teams will be allowed to use an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), Turbo Charger (TC), Motor Generator Unit - Heat (MGU-H) and Motor Generator Unit - Kinetic (MGU-K) three times. The Energy Store (ES) and Control Electronics (CE) may only be used twice without penalty. The Engine Exhaust system (EX) is the only part that can be used eight times.

1136075371_PUUsage.JPG.c215d0b7ab4d283bf28840c9b27ef80c.JPG