Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 pre-season testing (2022)

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.02.06  05:49 CET

Barretto is predicting:

Prediction with a lot of faith in trust that all cars will be capable.

In contrast, I would like to know what testing will tell us. If I however see Seb again in "excellent" position P16, then I would not put too much of faith in Barretto's wisdom. 

I think what we learned from midfield last year is, that once cars are very similar of strength and in performance, then external conditions begin creeping in how they score. Yellow flag ruins your qualification, wet/dry patches, track temp. fluctuations, unfortunate strategies, etc. The usual stuff.

Based on predictions that cars will be very close in performance, something I personally doubt, this might be a season when it will take longer into a season before dust settles, and pecking order emerges.

Merc seems edgy about their engine. That's why they can't wait to test it out

Yes, your prediction is true... the pecking order will eventually return to normal.

4 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Merc seems edgy about their engine. That's why they can't wait to test it out

Do you think that's enough for Hamilton to retire before a season starts?

18 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Do you think that's enough for Hamilton to retire before a season starts?

All gameplay. Tantrum. He's become too big for his shoes....

I hope they don't relent punishing him for non-attendance at the gala event

D/T 2022.02.07  08:03 CET

Red Bull crashed back down to earth in 2014

Family Newey have their ups and down. Newey's wife had idea of Italy that it was that of some kind of a third world country just demonstrates, sometimes surprisingly, no one is perfect.

Should we expect repeat of surprises we have seen in year 2014? 

Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda acknowledged what others said on the same subject, theirs is a completely different car to what they drove in the past. They seems to like form and colors. It will be interesting test of our eyesight, when the same car hits a track, and timers begin to do their job. Age old question, can we trust our first impressions? AlphaTauri has benefits of being a sister team of RBR. I wonder if there were any initial consultations between those teams last year how to attack the new rules. It is safe to assume that owner would not want to see either team to bomb out.

George Russell has outlined the importance of Mercedes 'improving from its limitations' with its new W13 challenger.

Our boy really is growing fast. Mainly around his neck and head-size. Coming in from Williams - top team in inverted pyramid - to Mercedes, and already advising them even before he drove a car in some meaningful manner. Toto will have headache, but I don't feel sorry for him. It was (also) his choice to have this driver in his car, and now he will have to live with it.

D/T 2022.02.17  09:28 (CET)

Less than a week to first shake down at Barcelona. Despite all "secrecy", accredited media will have access to the three days spectacle. The "real thing" as about three weeks from today.

Round 1 race is scheduled a week later after the second test.

I am more than just simply lost, how teams will manage this kind of schedule successfully. With so many changes on all fronts, the teams possess almost zero knowledge what kind of car they have. Should they have need after testing something to change, there is almost no opportunity to do anything about it.

Very NASCAR like tendency, altho they are in one country, and overnight flight can help  Not so at Bahrain. This is going to be stressful for a lot of people, and I am including fans.

Some additional predictions in media - initially there will be a lot of errors by drivers on steep learning curve how to handle new equipment. Hopefully our AMR will stasy on the track in one piece.

On 2/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.02.17  09:28 (CET)

Less than a week to first shake down at Barcelona. Despite all "secrecy", accredited media will have access to the three days spectacle. The "real thing" as about three weeks from today.

Round 1 race is scheduled a week later after the second test.

I am more than just simply lost, how teams will manage this kind of schedule successfully. With so many changes on all fronts, the teams possess almost zero knowledge what kind of car they have. Should they have need after testing something to change, there is almost no opportunity to do anything about it.

Very NASCAR like tendency, altho they are in one country, and overnight flight can help  Not so at Bahrain. This is going to be stressful for a lot of people, and I am including fans.

Some additional predictions in media - initially there will be a lot of errors by drivers on steep learning curve how to handle new equipment. Hopefully our AMR will stay on the track in one piece.

and hopefully is fast enough

This might really turn out to be a rough ride for some teams

10 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I am more than just simply lost, how teams will manage this kind of schedule successfully.

They WILL find a way.
The benefits R FAR greater than the costs.
That is Y they R in the sport

15 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

and hopefully is fast enough

This might really turn out to be a rough ride for some teams

Collection of bits and pieces on the internet suggest, that no one knows where they are in comparison to rivals. Sure, they know from sim runs that they can go fast, but are they faster than others? Is their car stable? Another bits stated somewhere (I think it was by Herr Tost), that cars will be probably able keep up with others in slow corners (side by side), but not in fast corners (like Parabolica). Question of essence in this stage therefore is not only how fast any car is, but is new design will be facilitating overtaking. 

Sure, Mercedes could go from last place to the front based on its speed only, but if cars are supposedly race in close proximity to each other, then we might see who will be able to overtake, and who will hopelessly get stuck behind. I am just hoping this is not going to turn again into funeral procession.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, Sakae said:

his choice to have this driver in his car, and now he will have to live with it.

Not hired simply 4 drivin abilities.
The media LOVE Russell.  Keeps Mercedes IN the news - whatever car they produce.
Guaranteed media attention.
Russell IN a Mercedes - Mercedes get seen WHATEVER.
F1 SELLS.  
Drive the car that Hamilton/Russell drive.
F1 is NOT about driving ability ANYMORE.
F1 IS about bein seen - eg a fizzy drink.

I am not anymore interested to hear anything about that constant, narcissistic, self-aggrandizement. Both, Hamilton with the new guy, what's his name, can move to Haas, and get admired somewhere, if that's what is important.

D/T 2022.02.22  12:58 (CET)

Why the Barcelona F1 test is not being broadcast..?

Because it's embarrassing for children to see adult men cry after the morning test of their car.

D/T 2022.02.23  08:45 (CET)

With this secrecy in Barcelona, a lot of changes are happening on traditional F1 fabric by this American ownership crowd. All for better? For old timers not all changes are in any way pleasant. Obviously I do not accept windy claims that changes are inevitable in the interest of evolution. Drivers continue drive around in circles as they were very long time ago. I can vouch for that, because I have seen them. No evolution on that front. I cannot see them today. Fog. Emptiness. The F1 product at its best?

11:11 Leclerc not only leads the times but he is also on top on the total lap count now with 23, one clear of Verstappen, so it is an encouraging start for Ferrari. Very, very early days, mind.

Aston Martin sitting very comfortable in last during these early stages

Leaderboard

Leclerc, Ferrari, 1m21.178s, C2

Norris, McLaren, 1m22.491s, C2

Russell, Mercedes, 1m22.655s, C3

Tsunoda, AlphaTauri, 1m22.692s, C3

Verstappen, Red Bull, 1m23.038s, C2

Alonso, Alpine, 1m23.317s, C3

Vettel, Aston Martin, 1m24.395s, C3

56 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

What on earth?????

This is beyond extreme

FMRH0QbX0AAH8rc?format=jpg&name=900x900

Very Very interesting. Theirs is the most aggressive side pod concept out there nest to Ferrari and AM