Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 pre-season testing (2022)

D/T 2022.03.12 5:54 UTC

Informative summation (for today):here

None of us like them’: Alonso claims all F1 drivers unhappy with 2022 cars

Fernando Alonso also does not believe Alpine have made sufficient progress over the winter.

If Alonso's assessment is factual, that could place Alpine into a difficult position vis-à-vis McLaren and perhaps also AM.

D/T 2022.03.12 7:45 UTC

Pre-season testing, Day 6

I need to re-evaluate my thinking about Haas's choice of Kevin Magnussen as a substitute driver for ousted Russian. Kevin is turning heads, probably mainly in Haas garage in the first place. He has stamped his return into history books very, very well.

They say time sheets in testing mean very little, which might be the truth, but then, why are we keeping score at all? 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

D/T 2022.03.12 5:54 UTC

Informative summation (for today):here

If Alonso's assessment is factual, that could place Alpine into a difficult position vis-à-vis McLaren and perhaps also AM.

I'm guessing he's mainly speaking for himself and what that Alpine is delivering, they seem to be in a soup.

From his comments, Stroll wasn't impressed by that encounter...

I think Alonso was testing car characteristics when in close proximity to another car. Stroll IMO should have accepted that situation, and examine his car in such conditions. Alonso certainly doesn't need to race drivers like Stroll, since his ego is at another level, but testing the car made sense to me.

Indeed - it IS what it is.
DC is British - nothin special.  Mika delivered again and again in the sister car.
Those that can, DO

We are in last hour of testing for some drivers. Is MB going to leave performance verification only up to a one driver in this afternoon? I was expecting drivers to step on it, but it getting awfully close to maybe we need to wait for one week more.  

D/T 2022.03.12 11:00 UTC

• POS
  •  
  • 1  Sergio PEREZ Red Bull Racing1:33.105 hard-new.png 43
  • 2  Guanyu ZHOU Alfa Romeo+0.854 hard-new.png 82
  • 3  Pierre GASLY AlphaTauri+1.760 medium-new.png 91
  •  

It is obvious that almost all teams opted to run a full race distance, and leave speed tests for another day. Having said that, MB is rather uncharacteristically slow this morning. Baing maybe third or thereabout would be one thing, but sitting at P9? What's going on?

Mercedes still appears to be struggling with the (porpoising) problems. In order to gauge this, we decided Auto, Motor und Sport to speak with a number of employees within Mercedes.

An engineer from Mercedes expressed his concerns in an interview with the medium. "The problem is complex and cannot be solved by simply making a slot in the floor," he explained. "The air balance makes you slower in the first place. There are a few other things involved."

This might take a while. Had MB discovered this issue last year in November, something might have been done. Inept rules of course don't allow for it. Now as it is, someone else will be collecting precious points. To be sure, I am not losing any sleep over it, however despite my feelings of that kind, I would like however all ten teams to be in best condition they can be when racing lights go off next week. I don't derive any pleasure from seeing some cars limping through the motions, pretending they are racing, doesn't matter which team it is.   

D/T 2022.03.12 16:01 UTC

• 1  Max VERSTAPPEN1:31.720 medium-new.png 53
  • 2  Charles LECLERC+0.695 hard-new.png 51
  • 3  Fernando ALONSO+0.978 prototype-new.png 122

It's over for today.

Surprises? Yes, I am surprised. MB is lower on the grid than I have expected.

My favorite driver continues waiting for a better car.

Predictions:

AM drivers will not make it into Q3 a week from today.

Grid after qualifying: Sainz, Verstappen, Leclerc.

Hamilton claims they don't have the fastest car this year. Funny, he's said that for the last few years. I don't believe him ;)

I'll only believe it, when I see it at the first race!

Just now, Lyria said:

Hamilton claims they don't have the fastest car this year. Funny, he's said that for the last few years. I don't believe him ;)

Welcome back, Lyria. I do understand and agree with you about him often playing victim, however this year it is slightly different. He is lower on the grid than usual, and engineering staff confirmed car has serious problems. They may not be on top of it in the first race. Maybe later on after fix. Car is really bottoming up.

1 hour ago, Lyria said:

WB Lyria.... *Hugs*

It"s going to be hard beating MadMax and RBR this season. That car looks so sculpted and aerodynamically clean. Thus upgrade wa a risk, on the last day of testing. But everything (upgrades) they brought just worked! Thus provides them with a strong baseline and they are already talking about the next developments. The drivers are VERY satisfied it is said and noticed.

AMR concentrated on long runs on medium and hard tires in the afternoon, with Vettel staring his session halfway during the day with some performance runs. Not the ideal time to make headlines trackside. Just concentrated on doing their thing. I'm not too worried, I'm willing to bet they will make it in the top 10, at least with Seb.

3 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

It"s going to be hard beating MadMax and RBR this season. That car looks so sculpted and aerodynamically clean. Thus upgrade wa a risk, on the last day of testing. But everything (upgrades) they brought just worked! Thus provides them with a strong baseline and they are already talking about the next developments. The drivers are VERY satisfied it is said and noticed.

AMR concentrated on long runs on medium and hard tires in the afternoon, with Vettel staring his session halfway during the day with some performance runs. Not the ideal time to make headlines trackside. Just concentrated on doing their thing. I'm not too worried, I'm willing to bet they will make it in the top 10, at least with Seb.

One has to agree with both your points, Brad. On AM side, I think between P8 through P12 later on. In the first race, as previously noted, I think they will not make it into Q3. Their results on H and M tires weren't that great

3 minutes ago, Sakae said:

One has to agree with both your points, Brad. On AM side, I think between P8 through P12 later on. In the first race, as previously noted, I think they will not make it into Q3. Their results on H and M tires weren't that great

From what I read they were more consistent and competitive with the midfield around them. We will of course, see next week

D/T 2022.03.12 19:15 UTC

Vettel set for 'busiest week'

Aston Martin still suffering with porpoising

Describing the cars as "heavy" and "a bit lazy", Vettel explained that all the teams face the same challenges over the coming days with porpoising still a constant issue.

Verstappen and Ferrari seems OK.

It IS strategy.  Misdirection > pointin 2 somethin ( "heavy" and "a bit lazy" ).
So now focus IS somewhere ELSE.

41 minutes ago, lipstick79 said:

It IS strategy.  Misdirection > pointin 2 somethin ( "heavy" and "a bit lazy" ).
So now focus IS somewhere ELSE.

Maybe, however for simplicity sake I just will assume that Seb's car is heavy, and a bit lazy. Exactly as he said. 

2 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Exactly as he said

Keep UR friends close but keep UR enemies closer.

"heavy" and "a bit lazy" 

IS code 4 light and corners like it`s on rails.

"The Sky F1 pundits saw Aston Martin, Alpine and AlphaTauri as other closely-matched midfield teams.

Brundle: "I think Aston Martin had a reasonable test, good consistency, car looked quite driveable."

Davidson: "I'll say that if Aston Martin drop the fuel I think it would be a faster car [than the Alpine]," said Davidson.

Brundle: "I'm thinking Alpine, Aston Martin and AlphaTauri all about the same to be honest - sort of fifth equal."

Davidson: "I would put the AlphaTauri just a little bit behind perhaps."

My sentiments exactly Mr Davidson... I think we are thereabouts in pecking order

I wonder if there is a team which will need to engage in massive redesign. That might take a while to read it properly, as performance begin to stagnate. (Similar to what we have experienced last season with AM). 

6 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I wonder if there is a team which will need to engage in massive redesign. That might take a while to read it properly, as performance begin to stagnate. (Similar to what we have experienced last season with AM). 

Might actually be Merc, for reasons to compete with the top 2.  They have hugely, or seemed to, underestimated this porpoising problem with the upgrade. I think this upgrade of theirs was planned to really be ahead of their rivals. It is not going to be a quick fix, some are saying up to a year. Toto is worried

3 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Might actually be Merc, for reasons to compete with the top 2.  They have hugely, or seemed to, underestimated this porpoising problem with the upgrade. I think this upgrade of theirs was planned to really be ahead of their rivals. It is not going to be a quick fix, some are saying up to a year. Toto is worried

MB seems to be in some kind of technical difficulty. If drivers would be slightly behind  (P3 or 4), I would be suspicious of sandbagging, but slotting in P9 or whatever that was, is very unusual for them. We haven't seen that for very long time. Something is not right. Car was bottoming up.